In this article, we will talk about home remedies for tooth decay and cavities. What is the one place that we most feared after that hall with a ghost, yes; it was none other than a dentist. We would get all weird ideas of how dentist were an evil who took away all your teeth. Eventually, the reality would turn out to be something different. But who anyways likes visiting a dentist. For the same reason, the one of the most common problems associated with dental health is tooth decay and cavities.
Tooth decay in layman language can be defined as the first step towards a developing cavity problem. As bacteria accumulate on your teeth, they slowly eat way all the enamel, from the acid they produce. This eventually leaves your teeth with a hole that is known as a cavity. I understand you are already worried about what your plan of action but we’ve got it all ready for you. Look below for all the information that you need to fight the problem at the comfort of your home.
Symptoms of Tooth Decay and Cavities:
- A sharp pain whenever you eat something sweet or extremely cold or hot.
- A Sensitive Tooth
- Patches of brown and black colour on the teeth.
- Pain in the teeth, whenever you eat something.
Causes of Tooth Decay and Cavities:
- You are too cool for oral hygiene (sarcasm intended)
- All you eat is sweets and chocolates.
- You are suffering from diabetes.
- You have a dry mouth and there is the lack of saliva.
- Your mouth does not get enough fluoride, which is beneficial for teeth.
Home Remedies for Tooth Decay and Cavities:
- Home Remedies for Tooth Decay and Cavities:
- 1.) Oil Pulling as a Home Remedy for Tooth Decay and Cavities
- 2.) Pepper and Salt as a Home Remedy for Tooth Decay and Cavities
- 3.) Alcohol as a Home Remedy for Tooth Decay and Cavities
- 4.) Turmeric as a Home Remedy for Tooth Decay and Cavities
- 5.) Baking Soda as a Home Remedy for Tooth Decay and Cavities
- 6.) Cloves as a Home Remedy for Tooth Decay and Cavities
- 7.) Garlic as a Home Remedy for Tooth Decay and Cavities
- 8.) Green Tea as a Home Remedy for Tooth Decay and Cavities
- 9.) Vanilla Extract as a Home Remedy for Tooth Decay and Cavities
- 10.) Salt Water as a Home Remedy for Tooth Decay and Cavities
1.) Oil Pulling as a Home Remedy for Tooth Decay and Cavities
This one comes from the land of Ayurveda, which is from India. The technique has now has been associated with proper dental health and is known to get rid of all kinds of tooth problems. Using any good essential oil can be effective for oil pulling to work. Just follow the process below:
- Put some coconut oil in your mouth.
- Now start squishing it around your teeth and gums.
- Move it around nice, just like you do with your mouthwash.
- Spit it out after some time and wash your mouth.
- All this time make sure you don’t swallow the oil.
- You will see its healing properties at work soon.
2.) Pepper and Salt as a Home Remedy for Tooth Decay and Cavities
The deadly duo of both these mixtures is known for their antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties. Both of them are effective in their own respect and when combined there is an overall elevation in their strength. For this method, all you have to do is to add equal amounts of salt and pepper and mix the well. Apply the mixture over your infected tooth and keep it there for 45-60 minutes. Wash it later for relief.
3.) Alcohol as a Home Remedy for Tooth Decay and Cavities
Traditionally used to cure all kinds of dental problems, alcohol is still effective. The properties of alcohol relieve you of the sensation of pain and help ward off the bacteria. All you have to is dip a cotton ball in whisky or rum and then place the cotton on the tooth causing the problem. Let it remain there for some time, till the pain subsides.
4.) Turmeric as a Home Remedy for Tooth Decay and Cavities
Most of us are aware of its flavoured aroma but what about its antiseptic properties. Turmeric can effectively act as a perfect home remedy for tooth decay and cavities. To use turmeric to its full potential, just add turmeric powder with water to form a paste. Apply the paste over the infected tooth. Massage it nice and smooth and let it remain there. Wash it later for added relief. Continue the process until the pain and the infection subsides.
5.) Baking Soda as a Home Remedy for Tooth Decay and Cavities
Your good old baking soda is the arch enemy of the bacteria in your mouth. Basically consuming baking soda leads to an elevation in the pH levels of the mouth, resulting in an inhabitable environment for the foreigners (bacteria). To do this, follow the method below:
- Mix baking soda with water to form a paste.
- Dip a cotton ball in the paste and apply it on the tooth.
- Let it remain there for some hours.
- Remove it and the effects will show.
6.) Cloves as a Home Remedy for Tooth Decay and Cavities
I know, most of you detest its taste. Trust me, so do I but nonetheless it is an effective home remedy for tooth decay and cavities. Cloves contain eugenol, which is known for its antiseptic and bacteria-busting properties. Don’t hate me for this one but for this remedy bite on two to three clove pieces. Keep them on the infected tooth for some time till the pain subsides. Do it regularly to get rid of the infection as well.
7.) Garlic as a Home Remedy for Tooth Decay and Cavities
The herb is known for its three in one quality. It is antibacterial, anti-inflammatory and antiseptic in nature. It can maintain perfect oral hygiene. Imagine if it can get rid of Dracula’s fangs then your normal teeth will do. To use it to cure the problem, just mash up a few cloves of garlic to form a paste. Apply the paste over the cavity and massage it gently. The garlic will immediately start reacting and its properties will show. Consuming ginger tea is also a good alternative for dental hygiene.
8.) Green Tea as a Home Remedy for Tooth Decay and Cavities
Green tea does not only boost your body’s metabolism but also enhances your tooth hygiene. It is advisable to drink 2-3 glasses of green tea daily for added benefits. The antibacterial herbal properties will not help any kind of bacteria to survive in your mouth or body.
9.) Vanilla Extract as a Home Remedy for Tooth Decay and Cavities
Vanilla extract is one of the most underrated of all the home remedies. To cure your tooth decay and cavities problem using it, all you have to do is dab a cotton ball in vanilla extract and then it apply it on your teeth. You can either keep it there or gently massage the area around it. It will numb your nerve endings, relieving you of the pain, while working on fixing up the problem.
10.) Salt Water as a Home Remedy for Tooth Decay and Cavities
The power of salt is equally effective as home remedies for tooth decay and cavities. Just mix some salt win warm water and stir it well. Now start squishing the whole thing like you do with your mouthwash. Cover all areas of the mouth and after some time, spit it out. Do it several times in a day, till there is a relief.