This article is about the home remedies to treat cracked heels naturally. Due to the flip-flop seasons around the corner of the world, it becomes quite difficult to maintain the skin of your heels. During winters, you must have found your heels getting dryer, which may split open and leaves fissures (cracked heels). If your heels are cracked, then treat them as soon as possible, because it may cause pain while walking and it may even cause serious infections on your feet. This article will provide you information on home remedies for cracked heels. So, use these natural treatments to heal your cracked heels.
Causes of Cracked Heels
The basic cause of cracked heels is a lack of moisture. But, it may be caused due to several other causes which are as follows:
- Cold weather
- Lack of moisture in your feet
- Taking very hot showers
- Soaking your feet in a hot water for a long period of time and that too at frequent intervals
- Using very harsh soaps on your feet
- Scrubbing your feet
- Having diabetes
- Standing on a hard floor for prolonged hours
Symptoms of Cracked Heels:
You will notice various symptoms if you have a cracked heel:
1.) Red or Flaky Patches
You will notice red and flaky patches on your heels. The dry skin is most vulnerable to form red and flaky patches. It can even cause dry infections.
2.) Cracked Skin
This is the main symptom of dry heels. You will notice the cracks on your heels. Also, remember not to peel off the dry skin from your heels as it may damage your heels adversely.
3.) Itchy Skin
The basic reason behind the formation of itchy skin is an abnormal shrinking of the upper layer of the dry skin. If there are excessive stretching and shrinking of the skin around the affected areas, then it may result in itchiness and discomfort.
Cracks affect both upper and a lower layer of your skin tissues. You may suffer from various skin infections due to deep cracks. Also, try to avoid wearing the shoes without socks as it may increase the risk of developing infections like fungus and yeast infections.
Home Remedies to Treat Cracked Heels Naturally
Well, here are few home remedies that will help you to get rid of cracked heels. Follow them sincerely and within a few days, you will notice a big change on your heels.
1.) Lemon to Treat Cracked Heels
Lemon contains acidic property that is very helpful in treating the cracked heels. It plays a major role in making your rough skin soft.
- Take a warm water in a tub and add lemon juice to it. Now, soak your feet in this water for 10-15 minutes. Also, avoid using very hot water as it may cause more dryness on your feet.
- After this, scrub your cracked heels with a pumice stone.
- At last, just wash your feet and pat it dry with a help of a towel.
2.) Vegetable Oil to Heal Cracked Heels
Vegetable oil can be used effectively to treat cracked heels. It contains an anti-fungal property that may prevent infections. It also helps in killing germs while providing moisture to your heels. To use this remedy, follow these steps:
- Firstly soak your feet in the water containing soap and then scrub your feet using a pumice stone.
- After this, wash your feet and dry it thoroughly using a cloth.
- Also, apply vegetable oil to your heels and soles.
- Even put a pair of clean socks and leave them on your feet overnight especially when you sleep.
- Next morning, you will notice your heels will be softer than before.
- Repeat this remedy for a few days and you will find that your cracked heels will vanish in few days.
3.) Rice Floor to Prevent Cracked Heels
Exfoliating the skin helps in removing the dead skin from your feet. It is a great way to prevent cracks by using a homemade exfoliating scrub of rice flour. To prepare it, follow these steps:
- Take a handful of ground rice and mix few teaspoons of apple cider vinegar and honey in it. Stir it well and prepare a thick paste. If your heels are cracked adversely, then you may add one tablespoon of olive oil or sweet almond oil in this paste.
- After this, soak your feet in the warm water for 10 minutes and then gently scrub your heels with rice flour scrub.
- Follow this remedy a few times in a week to get rid of cracked heels.
4.) Rosewater and Glycerin to Treat Cracked Heels
It is another great home remedy for cracked heels. Rose water is rich in vitamin D, C, B3, and A. It also contains the amazing antioxidant, antiseptic and anti-inflammatory properties. The glycerin provides moisture to your feet and helps in healing cracked heals faster. Rosewater and glycerin make a great combination that can provide various benefits to the cracked heal. Just mix these ingredients well and apply it on your cracked heels. Apply this remedy on a regular basis before going to bed until you get rid of cracked heels.
5.) Indian Lilac to Avoid Cracked Heels
It is a great remedy for cracked heels, especially when it has become infected and itchy. Margosa leaves or Indian lilac contains anti bacterial, anti fungal properties that help in providing a soothing effect on the dry skin. To use this remedy, follow these steps:
- Take a handful of Indian lilac leaves and prepare a fine paste by blending it. Also, add three teaspoons of turmeric powder in Indian Lilac paste.
- Now, apply this paste on the cracked heels and leave it on your heels for half an hour.
- After this, wash your feet with warm water and pat your skin dry with a soft cloth.
6.) Paraffin Wax to Heal Cracked Heels
If your heels are cracked and it is a very painful situation for you then paraffin wax is a remedy for you. It is a natural emollient that provides a soothing effect on your skin and provides quick relief. To use this remedy, follow these steps:
- Melt a block of paraffin wax and mix two tablespoons of coconut or mustard oil in it.
- Now, leave this solution for some time till it gets cool until a thin layer is formed on the top of this solution. After this, dip your feet in this mixture and wait for 5-10 seconds and dip your feet again. Do this few times until several layers of wax is build up.
- Also, cover your feet with a plastic. Now, leave it for 30 minutes and then remove plastic and peel off wax from your skin.
- Use this treatment 2-3 times in a week.
7.) Banana to Cure Cracked Heels
Banana contains great moisturizing properties that help in getting rid of cracked heels. To use this remedy, follow these steps:
- Mash one ripe banana and make a smooth paste. Now, clean your feet with water and pat it dry with a cloth. After this, apply the banana paste on your heels.
- Leave it on your feet for 10-15 minutes so that your skin can absorb nourishment from it.
- Now, wash your skin with warm water and soak your feet in cold water for 5-10 minutes.
- Follow this remedy for few weeks to get soft heels.
8.) Epsom Salt for Getting Rid of Cracked Heels
Epsom salt or sea salt is considered to be a great remedy as it helps in improving blood circulation. To use this remedy, follow these steps:
- Fill a tub with warm water and add one and a half cup of Epsom salt in it.
- Now, soak your feet in this solution for about 10 minutes.
- Now scrub your feet with pumice stone and again soak it in Epsom solution.
- At last, wash your feet with warm water and pat it dry with a soft cloth.
- Also, apply petroleum jelly on your heels.
- Follow this remedy 2-3 times in a week to heal cracked heels.
9.) Honey to Treat Cracked Heels
Honey contains great antibacterial and moisturizing properties that make it an amazing remedy to treat cracked heels. To use this remedy, follow these steps:
- Take warm water in a tub and add one cup of honey in it.
- Now, soak your feet in this solution for 15-20 minutes.
- After this, scrub your feet gently using a pumice stone.
- And wash your feet with warm water.
- Apply this remedy on a regular basis to treat cracked heels.
10.) Petroleum Jelly to Treat Cracked Heels
Petroleum jelly provides great moisture to the dry skin. It makes your heels soft as it provides the soothing effect to your heel. To use this remedy, follow these steps:
- Soak your skin in warm water, and then apply petroleum jelly to it. You may also mix petroleum jelly with lemon juice and apply it on your heels.
- Now, put on clean socks on your feets so that petroleum jelly get soaked in your skin.
- Use this remedy before going to bed and follow it on a regular basis to get rid of cracked heels.