In this article, we will talk about home remedies to treat hoarseness. When you talk, sing or yell for a long time, your voice become hoarse. In layman’s language hoarseness refers to abnormal changes in your voice due to which you face problem with your sound box. Your voice volume and pitch makes it harsh, weak and whispery voice. This problem is due to issues with your vocal folds and larynx (voice box).
People with all ages face this problem at different phases of life. Hoarseness is usually a side effect of conditions like laryngitis, strep throat, sore throat and cold. Hoarseness can either be due to smoking, heartburn and cancer (larynx). Hoarseness is a condition when a person feels soreness and the incidence of a lump in the throat which causes temporary voice loss. If left untreated can lead to serious problems and affect the voice box permanently. To treat a hoarse voice, the first and the foremost thing is to stop singing and talking. Avoid talking through whispering. Let your vocal cords rest for a couple of days for fast recovery. We have jotted some home remedies to treat hoarseness. Read this related article Natural remedies for sore throat on our website.
Home Remedies to Treat Hoarseness:
- Home Remedies to Treat Hoarseness:
- 1.) Ginger to Treat Hoarseness
- 2.) Honey to Reduce Hoarseness
- 3.) Onion Juice to Prevent Hoarseness
- 4.) Turmeric to Avoid Hoarseness
- 5.) Lemon to Get Rid of Hoarseness
- 6.) Apple Cider Vinegar to Treat Hoarseness
- 7.) Lozenges to Reduce Hoarseness
- 8.) Salt Water to Avoid Hoarseness
- 9.) Essential Oils to Get Rid of Hoarseness
- 10.) Cardamom to Treat Hoarseness
1.) Ginger to Treat Hoarseness
Ginger is an effective remedy to treat hoarseness. Ginger consists of anti-inflammatory and anti-oxidant properties. Which help soothes mucus membrane in the throat. It also helps reduce inflammation surrounding the voice box. It prevents infections related to upper respiratory tract. Take a fresh ginger, cut some pieces. Extract some ginger juice. Mix 1 teaspoon of honey and consume this mixture 2-3 times a day. You can add ginger to your daily diet. Do this process for a few days for better results.
2.) Honey to Reduce Hoarseness
Honey is an effective remedy to reduce Hoarseness. It helps coat and soothe the inflamed throat. It also helps coat throat for further prevention of the throat. Simply eat one tablespoon of organic honey few times a day. It will help you keep your throat moisturized. Alternatively, you can eat honey with basil leaves, which is also an essential combination to treat Hoarseness.
3.) Onion Juice to Prevent Hoarseness
Many people don’t know that onion juice is also an essential remedy for soothing sore and hoarse throat. Cut a few onions and bring it to boil in a water bowl. Boil them until it becomes syrupy. Strain the water and mix a few drops of it in a glass of water. Mix some honey and lemon juice for taste and additional benefits. Drink this solution 2-3 times in a week to get instant relief from hoarse throat.
4.) Turmeric to Avoid Hoarseness
Turmeric has antibacterial properties that help eliminate bacterial and viral infections in the throat. It also consists of antiseptic properties that helps healing. Turmeric is beneficial for many diseases. You should include turmeric in your food and especially when you are experiencing some problems. Add pinch of turmeric powder to a glass of hot milk. It will heal your throat quickly and will relieve your sore throat and inflammation. Drink this solution twice each day for best results.
5.) Lemon to Get Rid of Hoarseness
Lemon is rich in vitamin C and acidic properties. You can always depend on lemon to relieve Hoarseness quickly. It helps moisturize your throat. It also helps prevent soreness and inflammation. Moreover, it helps fight against the spread of infection further. Take 1 tablespoon of honey and lemon. Mix it well with a cup of lukewarm water. Drink this mixture for a few times a day to get better results.
6.) Apple Cider Vinegar to Treat Hoarseness
Apple cider vinegar is also an effective remedy to treat Hoarseness. It helps ease pain and other severe problems of the throat. Its antimicrobial properties help combat the infections related to the larynx, which are common in hoarse voice. Take one tablespoon of apple cider vinegar in a glass of warm water. Drink this solution for a few times a day daily. You can even try gargle mixing some amount of apple cider vinegar and warm water.
7.) Lozenges to Reduce Hoarseness
Lozenges are also an effective treatment for Hoarseness. Take a lozenge in your mouth and suck it until your throat feels improved. Sucking on this will help loosen mucus in the membrane and keep the saliva moving to prevent dryness in the throat. Use these lozenges daily whenever required at different intervals to get instant relief from Hoarseness.
8.) Salt Water to Avoid Hoarseness
It is a best remedy to treat Hoarseness. Gargling is the best option to restore your voice. Salt removes the mucus from the respiratory tract and hot water helps relieve from irritation and inflammation of the throat. This also contains antiseptic properties that prevents further infection. Add 1 teaspoon of salt 1 cup of warm water. Mix it well. Gargle, using this mixture for 5-10 mins. Do this process for 2-3 times a day for best results.
9.) Essential Oils to Get Rid of Hoarseness
Essential oils like lavender oil, tea tree oil and chamomile oil are beneficial for the treatment of Hoarseness. These oils contain antibacterial properties which protect from virus and further infection. Inhale a solution of water and essential oils to reduce Hoarseness. Add a few drops of lavender or chamomile or tea tree oil to a boiling water. Lean over the pot and inhale the steam covering your head with a towel. Do this process for twice a day to get rid of the sore throat and hoarse throat.
10.) Cardamom to Treat Hoarseness
This remedy is being used from ancient times. It is also used in Ayurvedic medicines, it often used to treat Hoarseness. It helps combat inflammation and soothing the respiratory tract. It is the easiest and cheapest method to treat sore and hoarse throat. Chewing a cardamom will moisten your throat. Alternatively, make a powder of cardamom, or you can buy cardamom powder from your nearest grocery store. Mix it with one tablespoon of honey. Have it daily for best results.
Here are Some Other Things You Can do to Treat Hoarseness:
- Give your throat some break by taking a break from talking for long. You should give your vocal cords some rest by stop shouting and try speaking softly without putting any force on your voice box.
- Keep your throat wet by drinking lots of water. Drinking water is very important because the irritation in your throat can get worse when it is dry. We recommend that one consume at least 8 glasses of water per day or when you feel your throat drying up. You can also consume herbal teas and fresh fruit juices. Honey is a brilliant natural moisturizer and can help keep your throat calm and soothe. Use honey in herbal teas and juices for additional benefits. You can also add some honey in your normal water to bring down hoarseness.
- Eat simple and soft foods that can be swallowed easily without any problem.
- Try steam to soothe hoarseness and sore throat inflammation. You can also take steam while taking bath under a warm shower. Just let your geyser on and close the bathroom room to set the heat and steam well. Now, inhale this steam and exhale and inhale while you bathe.
- Avoid breathing from the mouth as it dries the inside layer of the throat. Better inhale through your nose. Breathing through the mouth can also lead to cold, unfiltered air into the lungs, which raises hoarseness.
- Use a humidifier to keep the room air moist that helps treat sore and hoarse throat. This will prevent further dryness in the throat. If humidifier is not accessible, keep a bowl full of water in your room.
- Suck on frozen fruit-flavored ice pops.
- Avoid clearing your throat.
- Avoid shouting.
- Quit smoking.
- Avoid drinking alcohol.
- Take a hot shower.
- Use a humidifier in your bedroom.
- Drink warm water at regular intervals throughout the day.
- Eliminate allergens from your environment.
- Try deep breathing exercises to reduce blockage.
- Do not use decongestants.