Your tongue is one of the strongest muscles in the body which helps to taste the food, swallow and talk. Normally you will see that your tongue is pink in color. But at times, due to some reasons, your tongue turns pink to white in color. If you want to get rid of white coated tongue, then read this article thoroughly. You will find some effective home remedies for white coated tongue.
Actually white coated tongue is not a disease, it is temporary. White coated tongue is the condition where a coating of debris, dead skin cells and bacteria can occur on your tongue and that is the cause of white spots on your tongue. White coated tongue is a sign of dehydration. The white coated tongue occurs due to other factors also such as dry mouth, fever, excessive use of alcohol and smoking. Poor oral hygiene and eating highly sugary and acidic foods can also lead to white coated tongue. So, there are some home remedies that will help you to remove the white coating on your tongue and keep your tongue healthy and clean.
Causes for White Coated Tongue:
- Bad oral hygiene.
- Use of tobacco or smoking.
- Drinking alcohol.
- Having fever and infection.
- Reaction to certain medicines.
- Having dry mouth and dehydration.
- Mouth breathing is also the cause of white coated tongue.
Home Remedies for White Coated Tongue:
As said above, white coated tongue is not a major problem. White coating on the tongue is a very common problem that can lead to symptoms like bitter taste and bad breath in the mouth. These home remedies will help you to get rid of white coated tongue.
1) Aloe Vera Juice for White Coated Tongue
This remedy is used to treat a number of skin, hair and health related issues. Aloe Vera is one of the best natural remedies for treating white coated tongue. Due to its healing and anti-inflammatory properties, Aloe Vera can help to cure oral problems. It is an antimicrobial that helps to kill bacteria, causing white tongue as well as bad breath.
Steps to Use Aloe Vera to Treat White Coated Tongue:
- Put one teaspoon of Aloe Vera juice in your mouth.
- Swish it for some time and spit it out.
- Then drink one teaspoon of Aloe Vera juice. Repeat this remedy for 2 weeks.
2) Salt to Get Rid of White Tongue Fast
To treat a white coated tongue, salt is the best remedy. Due to its coarse nature, it will work as a natural tongue scraper to remove dead cells and debris. And also, it has an antiseptic property that will help to kill bacteria which may lead to bad breath.
Steps to Use Salt to Cure White Tongue Fast:
- Sprinkle a pinch of salt on your white coated tongue and scrub it with a toothbrush for a minute.
- Then rinse with warm water. Repeat this remedy twice a day to get better results.
3) Turmeric to Treat White Coated Tongue Naturally
Turmeric is one of the best natural remedies for treating white tongue. Due to its antibacterial property, it will prevent the growth of bacteria on the tongue that may cause bad breath. It is a very effective remedy for a white coated tongue.
Steps to Use Turmeric to Get Rid of White Tongue Naturally:
- Combine half teaspoon of turmeric with enough lemon juice to make a paste.
- Rub this paste on your tongue for a few minutes. Then rinse it with warm water.
- Gargle with this solution 1 or 2 times daily for a healthy tongue.
4) Yogurt to Cure White Coated Tongue Fast
Yogurt is very simple and effective home remedy for coated tongue. Yogurt contains probiotic property that will help to kill candida fungus, causing white coat on the tongue.
Steps to Use Yogurt to Get Rid of White Tongue Fast:
- Eat some yogurt to get the best and effective results.
- Repeat this method daily for treating white tongue.
5) Apple for White Coated Tongue
Apples are among the best foods for the overall health of your mouth. It is rightly said that an apple a day keeps a doctor away. But, eating an apple daily will also keep oral problems away. It not only helps with white tongue, but it also helps get rid of yellow teeth and bad breath.
- Having an apple in a day, you don’t need a doctor.
- Eating an apple is also a great method for your white coated tongue.
- So have an apple to get white teeth, good breath, and clean the tongue.
- By eating an apple, you can easily get rid of white coat on your tongue.
6) Indian Lilac to Cure White Coated Tongue Naturally
It is very helpful to treat several diseases. It contains antifungal and anti-bacterial properties that can clear fungus, bacteria and yeast from your mouth. Lilac is also known as a blood purifier that helps to remove toxins from your body.
Steps to Use Lilac to Avoid White Coated Tongue Fast:
- Boil some water by adding one tablespoon of dried leaves of Lilac.
- Let it cool and then gargle with this solution.
- Use warm water to rinse your mouth. Do this 2 times a day to cure white-coated the tongue.
7) Baking Soda for White Coated Tongue
Baking soda is one of the best home remedies to prevent white coated tongue. To remove a white coat from the tongue, you can use baking soda. Due to its exfoliation nature of baking soda, it can help to remove residue sticking on the tongue. By neutralizing acids, it maintains good pH levels in the mouth.
Steps to Use Baking Soda to Prevent White Coated Tongue:
- Mix a little baking soda with lemon juice to make a paste.
- Brush your tongue with this paste.
- Wash your mouth with water. Do this remedy once a day to get the desired results.
- An alternate method, you can also mix a half teaspoon of baking soda in a glass of water. Rinse your mouth with this solution to treat white tongue and bad breath.
8) Vegetable Glycerin to Get Rid of White Coated Tongue
Vegetable glycerin is very popular, tried and tested home remedy for white coated tongue. Along with treating white tongue, it also helps with the bad breath. It is easily available at health food stores.
Steps to Use Vegetable Glycerin to Treat White Tongue:
- Place a little vegetable glycerin on your tongue.
- Use a soft bristle brush to brush your tongue.
- Use warm water to rinse your mouth thoroughly. Do this twice a day until you get the pink color tongue.
9) Oil Pulling to Treat White Coated Tongue
An excellent way to treat white tongue is oil pulling, especially when it is due to oral thrush. Oil pulling will help to remove yeast from oral thrush and also remove toxins from the body.
Steps to Use Oil Pulling to Cure White Tongue:
- Place one teaspoon of extra virgin coconut oil in your mouth before brushing your teeth.
- Swish it between your teeth and under the tongue.
- Do this procedure for 15 minutes until the oil turn into milky color.
- Spit out the oil and rinse your mouth by using warm water. Do this remedy once daily for white coated tongue.
10) Salt Water for White Coated Tongue
To maintain oral hygiene gargling with salty water is one of the best home remedies.
Steps to Use Salt Water to Get Rid of White Tongue:
- In a kettle, warm one glass of water and after a while add half teaspoon of salt to it.
- Remove the kettle from the heat and pour the water in the glass.
- Use the water for gargling two to three times in a day.
- Repeat the remedy until you get the desired result.
11.) Garlic Cloves to Get Rid of White Tongue
Chewing garlic cloves is also among the most effective remedies for white tongue treatment. This is also one of the easiest and cost effective remedies for white tongue. It is antifungal in nature and thus removes bacteria from the tongue. What you have to do is chew a few garlic cloves daily. The easiest way is to add it in your meal. Chewing garlic cloves also improves blood circulation. You will be interested to know that it treats different skin problems as well. Also, you can use it in other forms like oil and tablets.
Note: Pregnant women should avoid this remedy.
12.) Lemon Juice to Avoid White Coated Tongue
You can also go for lemon juice in order to cure white coated tongue. Lemon juice is high in properties that help eliminate fungi and bacteria from the mouth and thus you get rid of white tongue. What you have to do is swish some fresh lemon juice for five minutes and spit it out. This will help remove bacteria from tongue and also helps maintain oral hygiene.
13.) Hydrogen Peroxide to Treat White Coated Tongue
Hydrogen peroxide helps remove fungus and bacteria accumulated on tongue and thus a mouthwash with this ingredient will help your get rid of white tongue completely. This is also one of the most amazing remedies for white coated tongue. Take a glass of water and add a teaspoon of hydrogen peroxide to it. Use it to rinse your mouth.
14.) Boric Acid to Cure White Tongue
This is also one of the most effective remedies for white coated tongue. Preparing a rinse with boric acid is easy. What you have to do is take a cup of water and add one-fourth teaspoon of boric acid to it. Mix it properly and rinse your mouth with this solution.
15.) Herbal Mouthwash to Heal White Tongue
You can make your own herbal mouthwash using different ingredients available at home. What you have to do is take equal quantities of tincture of licorice, Echinacea and myrrh. Take a glass of water and a teaspoon of the prepared mixture to it. Your herbal mouthwash is ready. This will prove to be one of the most amazing remedies for white tongue. You just have to repeat the process after every four hours.
Clean Your Tongue (Remove Coating):
Cleaning your tongue is also an important thing to do when you want to get rid of white tongue. The coating which is formed on tongue can be easily removed externally. You have to use simple steps to clean your tongue completely. These steps are simple and you can also make them part of your routine. Removing coating from the tongue is a very easy but important task to perform if you want to get rid of white tongue. So, follow the steps given below and remove coating easily. Here are the simple steps that you can follow to get rid of white coated tongue.
1.) Brush Your Tongue
This is one of the easiest ways to remove coating from the tongue. What you have to do is simply brush your tongue with your toothbrush. This will help loosen up the bacteria, debris and dead cells that have accumulated on the tongue. These bacteria and debris get stuck in the bumps on your tongue and thus you need to loosen them with the help of a toothbrush. Brushing helps remove these debris gently. You can simply brush your teeth without using the paste. But, if you want to get rid of bad breath, use the toothbrush. Do not scratch your tongue. It will cause irritation. Thus you are advised to brush gently.
2.) Scrape Your Tongue
This is also of the most effective ways to remove white coating from the tongue. Use a tongue scraper to scrape your tongue. Many brushes also have scraper on their back. Do not push too hard. Go gentle on it. If you push too hard then you can hurt your tongue. So, it is better to go gentle on your tongue.
3.) Rinse Your Mouth with Water
Take a glass of water and use your mouth properly to remove all loosen up debris from the mouth. Rinse your mouth water frequently. This will help prevent white tongue in future. This is because of the reason that cleaning your mouth with water will help keep your mouth moisturized and prevent dry mouth, which is one of the main reasons for white tongue.
4.) Strong Antiseptic Solution
To fight off the bacteria in the mouth, you need to go for strong antiseptic solution. You can get prescription based mouth wash but you can prepare one at home as well. Preparing a mouthwash at home is very easy. What you have to do is:
- Take a glass of warm water and mix one teaspoon of salt to it.
- Mix it well and take sip from it.
- Swish in your mouth for some time.
- Now tilt your head back and use the water to gargle.
- Gargle and spit it out.
5.) Scrub Your Tongue
You can also make a natural scrub to scrub your tongue. This will gently scrub you tongue and you will be able to remove white coating with bacteria. You can make your own scrub at home. You can go for the homemade scrub discussed below:
- Take one teaspoon of baking soda.
- Add enough lemon juice to make a paste.
- Now use the paste to scrub your tongue.
- You can also use turmeric in place of baking soda.
Lifestyle Changes to Get Rid of White Tongue:
We discussed different home remedies for white coated tongue. Now let us switch to some really easy ways to get rid of white tongue fast and naturally. Lifestyle plays a very important role in occurrence of white tongue as it is mainly caused by dehydration. You might even not know that even your very minor habit or way of living can lead to white tongue. Below we have listed some of the most important points that you should necessarily adopt in order to get rid of white furry tongue. Consider these changes home remedies for white coated tongue.
1.) Stay Hydrated to get Rid of White Tongue
This is one of the best remedies for white coated tongue. Dehydration and dry mouth are the main reasons for the occurrence of white tongue. So, you are advised to keep your body hydrated always. It doesn’t mean that you should run to get water when you are thirsty. In fact, if you are thirsty then it means that your body is already dehydrated. So, you are advised to drink water frequently. Drink at least three liters of water a day. If your do more physical activity then you need to drink water really frequently. You can make dehydration if you notice symptoms like exhaustion, dark urine, lake of frequent urination and headaches.
2.) Avoid Drinking to Treat White Tongue
This is also among the most important remedies for white tongue treatment. Consuming alcohol makes your body dehydrated and thus you are thirsty again and again. Drinking also leads to inflammation if bumps on skin.
3.) Avoid Smoking to Cure White Tongue
Smoking also causes inflammation of bumps on the skin and thus it is highly required to quit smoking as fast as possible. Along with that, it also transfers where toxins to your mouth and thus your tongue appear white and furry.
4.) Improve Your Oral Hygiene to Prevent White Tongue
This is one of the most required remedies for white coated tongue. If you really want to get rid of white tongue completely, you need to maintain complete oral hygiene. What you should do is:
- Brush your teeth after every meal and before going to bed.
- Go for antiseptic mouthwash.
When to Seek a Doctor?
Though white tongue is not a serious problem but it might cause some problem if not treated well. So the symptoms that you should consider to consult a doctor are pain, fever, dehydration and if the white tongue lasts for more than three weeks. Other symptoms are:
Geographic Tongue – Geographic tongue is the condition when you have smooth lesions on tongue. If you have a geographic tongue than you need to consult the doctor for sure. When you have geographic tongue then you have irritation towards strong taste like salty, spicy and acidic.
Oral Thrust – Oral thrust is the condition that people mistake with white tongue and thus spoil the condition by opting the wrong methods. This can be treated with some antibiotics and prescribed medicines. You can also try yogurt as well. Here are the symptoms of oral thrust:
- Burning sensations on tongue.
- Pain in the skin cracked on the side of the tongue.
Leukoplakia – It is the condition when white patches appear on tongue that is the outcome of overproduction of proteins and cells. Though it is not so serious, but still it needs to be treated on time. You should consult a doctor to make sure that the condition not cancerous.
- Brush your teeth daily to maintain oral hygiene.
- Avoid sugary foods and dairy products as these products coat the tongue.
- Avoid drinking alcohol and smoking.
- Using tongue scraper is the best way to remove the white coat on the tongue.
- Eat crunchy fruits and vegetables such as guava, carrots, apples and strawberries to clean the white coated tongue.
- Gargle with warm water regularly especially after having meals that will prevent the accumulation of food particles on the tongue.
Products You Can Go For:
Cleaning your tongue properly is the best way to treat white tongue and remove coating from it. There are different products that you can go for in order to get rid of white tongue. In order to clean your tongue nicely you should choose the right product. Here is the list of the products that you can go for in order to remove coating from the tongue. You can select any of the scrapes you want:
Dr. Tung’s Tongue Cleaner
This is made from stainless steel and the curved edges of the cleaner help clean the tongue properly without hurting. It cleans your tongue in seconds.
Pureline Tongue Scraper
This scraper does the work simply and effectively. It is made with FDA-proved biocompatible plastic and thus improves over-all health of your mouth.
Gum Tongue Cleaner
This gum cleaner not only cleans your tongue but also freshen up breath. It has brush that helps loosen the plaque formed on the tongue.
Orabrush Tongue Cleaner
Orabrush is the brush that you can use to clean your tongue gently. It cleans deeply and does not hurt. It helps loosen the plaque deposited on the tongue.