A whooping cough is also termed as Pertussis is a very contagious bacterial infection of the airways and lungs that begin with the persistent dry cough. This condition may turn into coughing bouts. This cough is called whooping because after the coughing bouts the gasp of breath creates a whooping noise. This condition may turn out to be dangerous, if not treated properly. Therefore, there are plenty of home remedies for whooping cough, that can help you to recover soon from such problem.
Causes of Whooping Cough:
- Causes of Whooping Cough:
- Symptoms of Whooping Cough:
- Home Remedies for Whooping Cough Treatment:
- 1.) Ginger to Get Rid of Whooping Cough
- 2.) Turmeric for Whooping Cough
- 3.) Honey to Treat Whooping Cough
- 4.) Garlic to Avoid Whooping Cough
- 5.) Oregano to Prevent Whooping Cough
- 6.) Lemon to Get Rid of Whooping Cough
- 7.) Licorice for Whooping Cough
- 8.) Almond to Treat Whooping Cough
- 9.) Chamomile to Cure Whooping Cough
- 10.) Saffron to Get Rid of Whooping Cough
It is caused by a bacterium known as Bordetella Pertussis that infects the windpipe (trachea) and the bronchi. If this bacterium, comes in the contact with your airways then this may lead to several factors like:
- The formation of thick mucus will take place that may even cause intense coughing bouts when your body tries to expel it.
- The inflammation in the airways can be seen. Due to this, the breathing becomes more difficult. You will produce a whooping sound when you will try to breathe after coughing.
Symptoms of Whooping Cough:
Home Remedies for Whooping Cough Treatment:
1.) Ginger to Get Rid of Whooping Cough
It is an excellent expectorant. Ginger is one of the best home remedies for whooping cough. It has antibacterial properties as well, which help in destroying the bacteria that cause whooping cough. Even the immune-boosting properties of ginger help in fighting this infection while promoting the quick recovery in the body. To prepare this remedy, follow these steps:
- Take 1 tablespoon of extracted ginger juice and add one teaspoon of raw honey in it. Mix it well, and drink it twice in a day.
- Another alternative way is to mix equal amounts onion juice, ginger juice, and onion juice. Mix it well, and prepare a mixture, consume it 2-3 times in a day.
- You may also try another way. Just boil 2 cups of water and mix two teaspoons fenugreek seeds in it. Boil the solution until its quantity is reduced by half.
- Now, add 1 teaspoon of ginger juice and little raw honey in one cup of prepared fenugreek decoction. Mix this solution well and drink it once on a regular basis for few days.
2.) Turmeric for Whooping Cough
This is one of the best remedies used to get rid of cough. It contains antiviral and antibacterial properties that can treat whooping cough effectively by preventing the bacteria causing it. It also provides a therapeutic effect on dry coughs. Even the immune-boosting property present inside the turmeric helps in fighting the body infections. To prepare this remedy, follow these steps:
- Take ¼ to ½ teaspoon of turmeric powder and mix one tablespoon of honey in it. Mix this well and consume it twice on a regular basis to prevent whooping cough.
- Another alternate way is to add ½ teaspoon of turmeric powder in warm milk. Mix it well and drink it twice on a regular basis to treat whooping cough.
- You may also take turmeric supplements available in the form of capsules. Consult a doctor before consuming it, to know the proper dosage of it.
3.) Honey to Treat Whooping Cough
Honey is also one of the most effective home remedies for whooping cough. It contains powerful antibacterial, antiseptic and healing properties that help in killing the bacteria causing whooping cough. To prepare this remedy, follow these steps:
- Take a glass of warm water and add one teaspoon of honey in it. Mix it well and drink it on a regular basis a few times a day. This drink will provide a soothing effect on your throat while preventing whooping cough.
- You can also eat the ½ teaspoon of cinnamon powder with one teaspoon of honey before going to bed. This remedy helps in preventing whooping cough while letting you sleep better.
- Another alternate way is to mix together 1 teaspoon of freshly extracted radish juice in one teaspoon of honey. Mix it well and you can also add some rock salt to it. Consume it thrice in a day.
4.) Garlic to Avoid Whooping Cough
Garlic contains natural antibiotic property that can fight whooping cough easily. It also has antibacterial and antiviral properties that help in clearing the pertussis infection.
- Start consuming one teaspoon of fresh garlic juice at least 2-3 times a day for a week.
- Another way is to add one tablespoon of chopped garlic to a vessel of boiling water. Now, cover your head with a cloth or towel and inhale the vapors to feel ease in the coughing bouts. But, remember this remedy is not appropriate for children of very small age.
- You can also consume one tablespoon of garlic syrup once in a day to treat whooping cough. To prepare this syrup, just grind 1 pound of garlic and add apple cider vinegar and 2 cups of distilled water to it. Now, pour this mixture into another container and let this mixture sit for at least 4 hours. Strain it and mix 1 to 1½ cups of honey in it. Drink it at least once in a day.
5.) Oregano to Prevent Whooping Cough
Oregano is one of the most amazing home remedies for whooping cough. This herb has antibacterial, antispasmodic and expectorant properties that help in clearing out the mucus from our lungs and also provide ease in dry coughing. To prepare this remedy, follow these steps:
- Boil water in a pan. Now, add 5-6 drops of pure oregano oil in the boiling water. After this just cover your head with a cloth or a towel and inhale the steam. Use this remedy at least 2-3 times in a day for a few days.
- Another alternative way is to mix 2 tablespoons of olive in 10-15 drops of oregano oil. Rub this mixture on your chest to ease coughing. You may also drink oregano herbal tea 2-3 times in a day on a regular basis.
6.) Lemon to Get Rid of Whooping Cough
Lemon is one of the effective home remedies to treat whooping cough naturally. The citric acid present inside the lemon helps in reducing the thickness of the mucus. It also has powerful antiviral and antibacterial properties that can fight the infection effectively. Moreover, the vitamin C present inside the lemon helps in boosting the immune system of our body. To prepare this remedy, follow these steps:
- Take a glass of warm water and add one teaspoon of fresh lemon juice along with one teaspoon of raw honey in it. Drink this few times in a day to cure whooping cough.
- Another alternate way is to mix ½ teaspoon of lemon and add a pinch of salt and pepper over it. Lick lemon as it provides a soothing effect on the painful throat. It is one of the most effective home remedies for whooping cough.
7.) Licorice for Whooping Cough
Licorice acts as a demulcent, that means it can provide a coating on the throat with a thin film of mucilage to prevent the delicate tissues from constant coughing. Moreover, it can even clear the congestion from the bronchial tubes. Licorice is one of the best home remedies for whooping cough, to prepare this remedy, follow these steps:
- Take two cups of water in a pan and start boiling it for 5 minutes. Now, add one teaspoon of dried licorice powder in it. After some time, just remove this from heat. Steep it in the solution for another 10 minutes.
- Strain it, and drink this solution at least twice in a day on a regular basis.
- Another alternate way is to mix ½ teaspoon of licorice powder and a little amount of honey. Mix it well and drink it thrice in a day on a regular basis. It is considered one of the best home remedies for whooping cough.
8.) Almond to Treat Whooping Cough
Almond nuts and oil can do wonders with whooping cough. Almonds are high in phytochemicals and they contain antioxidant properties that help in easing the various symptoms of whooping cough. They also contain the immune-boosting properties in them. To prepare this remedy, follow these steps:
- Just take 10 drops each of fresh ginger juice and white onion juice in a pan. Now, add 5 drops of almond oil in it. Mix it well and prepare a mixture. Consume this mixture at least 3 times in a day for a few weeks.
- Another alternative way is to soak 5-7 almonds in the water. Leave it overnight. Now, in the morning just remove the skin of the almond and grind it to prepare a fine paste. Also, add one teaspoon of butter in the paste of almonds. Mix it well and prepare a mixture. Consume this paste of almond and butter at least 3 times in a day.
- You may prepare a chest rub with almond oil. Just add one teaspoon of almond oil in 4 to 5 drops of any essential oil like rosemary, eucalyptus, or camphor. Rub this mixture on the chest to ease the pain of the chest.
- It is one of the best home remedies for whooping cough.
9.) Chamomile to Cure Whooping Cough
Start consuming herbal tea of chamomile on a regular basis to cure whooping cough. This herb contains anti-inflammatory, immune-boosting and various soothing properties that help in easing the symptoms of whooping cough and provide quick recovery. To prepare this remedy, follow these steps:
- Just take one cup of hot water and add 1-2 teaspoons of dried chamomile flowers in it.
- Cover this solution with a plate or lid and let it steep for 5 minutes.
- Now, add lemon juice and honey in this solution according to your taste.
- Consume this tea 3-4 times in a day for a few days to prevent whooping cough.
10.) Saffron to Get Rid of Whooping Cough
It is highly recommended to treat the dry coughs and pertussis effectively. Though it is quite expensive, but it contains amazing antibacterial properties that help in destroying the bacteria causing whooping cough. Moreover, it is also an expectorant that helps in loosening the phlegm that helps in breathing properly. So, use saffron to get rid of whooping cough.
Tips to Prevent Whooping Cough:
Here are a few preventive measures that you may follow to prevent whooping cough.
- The best way to prevent whooping cough is through pertussis vaccination. This vaccine involves five injections that are given to the children of the following ages:
- 2 months of age
- 4 months of age
- 6 months of age
- 15-18 months
- 4-6 years
- Even pregnant women are offered vaccination against whooping cough if they are 28-38 weeks pregnant. Getting vaccinated at the time of pregnancy is a great way to protect and prevent your child from developing whooping cough in the first weeks of their life.
- A whooping cough can be treated by consuming few antibiotics like doxycycline, clarithromycin, and trimethoprim. But, consume these medicines after consulting a doctor.
- If you didn’t get relief from whooping cough within a few days, then it is really important to consult a good doctor for treating whooping cough.
So, use the following remedies for whooping cough and get relief from it in few days. These home remedies are very effective and they will provide you the best results.