Cleaning of the house is essential in our daily life as it helps to maintain and protect your beautiful investment. You clean your kitchen and other areas of your house easily, but cleaning hardwood floor may seem high maintenance. We can’t hide or ignore dirt on hardwood floors as they act like sandpaper and scratch your hardwood floor. Cleaning your hardwood floor without damaging the finish is not as much difficult as you think. Keeping hardwood floors clean with smart methods helps to maintain your floors and keep them looking good. Use floors protectors under furniture to prevent marks. By dusting the floor with a mop, you can speed up the cleaning process. Follow the easy steps and transform the floors from dull to gorgeous and clean floors. You should sweep your kitchen and dining room daily. Always use a commercial cleaner to clean your hardwood floors. Recoating is also important in every five to seven years. In this article, we come up with easy and best ways to clean hardwood floor.
Best Ways to Clean Hardwood Floor:
Follow these easy and best ways to clean hardwood floor.
1.) Cleaning Agent to Clean Hardwood Floor
Choose the right cleaning agent like a pH neutral water-based cleaner to remove the dust from the hardwood floors. Use cleaners, which are designed for vinyl floors with an acrylic polish are pH neutral. To dissolve dirt and grease choose an alkaline water based cleaner, detergents and soap or a bit of baking soda mixed with water. Using white vinegar diluted with water is a good rinsing agent. Don’t use ammonia, abrasive cleaners and bleach as they leave a residue and damage your hardwood floors.
2.) Damp-Not Wet Mop to Clean Hardwood Floor
To clean a hardwood floor use a wet mop, but don’t use water at all. You just need to wring your cloth and mop properly. Make sure it should be slightly damp or almost dry. Then clean your hardwood floor with it daily.
3.) Take Your Shoes Off to Clean Hardwood Floor
If you walk with dirty shoes on hardwood floor then you are leaving lots of dirt and sand on it. These dust particles may ruin your hardwood floors. Mats should be there both outside and inside exterior doors to lessen tracked-in dirt. So, always take off your shoes or clean your shoes before walking on the hardwood floors.
4.) Vinegar to Clean Hardwood Floor
To remove the dirt, oil and grime from hardwood floors vinegar is the best solution to clean it.
Steps to Use Vinegar:
- Take 1 cup of vinegar mixed with 1 gallon of water.
- Now, dip the mop into this solution and wring it until it is damp-dry.
- Mop the hardwood floor and after mopping, use a clean and soft towel to dry it.
- You can leave it to dry as an alternative.
5.) Use a Soft Bristle Broom to Clean Hardwood Floor
Using a soft bristle broom is also a good way to clean large particles like sand on hardwood floors. You can also use a vacuum to clean the hardwood floor to prevent the scratching. Clean your hardwood floor with vacuum on a weekly basis to maintain its coating.
6.) Polish to Clean Hardwood Floor
Polishing hardwood floor is a great way to clean hardwood flooring. Polishing helps to refresh and renews the finish, which protects your hardwood floor. Polishing your hardwood floor fills in microscopic scratches and evens protect floor’s surface. It is not a difficult task, but it can be done with a less amount of effort.
7.) Lemon to Clean Hardwood Floor Fast
Lemon have antiseptic and antibacterial properties that help to maintain the finishing of your hardwood floor. It is one of the effective ways to fight the bacteria in your hardwood floors.
Steps to Use Lemon:
Use a half cup of pure lemon juice diluted with water to damp mopping, which helps to clean your hardwood floor.
8.) Baking Soda to Clean Hardwood Floor
If your hardwood floors have scuff marks then use baking soda, which will be very helpful to clean your floor.
Steps to Use Baking Soda:
- Take a damp sponge and sprinkle some baking soda powder on it.
- Then clean your hardwood floor with the help of this sponge.
9.) Chemical Free Dish Soap to Clean Hardwood Floor
Chemical free dish soap maintains the finishing of your floor and it doesn’t damage your floor.
Steps to Use Chemical Free Dish Soap:
- Use a quarter cup of mild, chemical-free liquid dish washing soap, which is mixed with water will do a good job to clean your hardwood floor.
- So, squeeze out the excess water as much as you can for damp mopping to make your hardwood floor germ-free.
10.) Olive Oil to Clean Hardwood Floor
Olive oil is one of the best home remedies for cleaning hardwood floor.
Steps to Use Olive Oil to Clean the Hardwood Floor:
- Take a few drops of olive oil for damp mopping, which will improve the condition of your hardwood floors.
- Mix olive oil with apple cider vinegar and apply a thin coat of it on your hardwood floors.
- That will help to maintain the shine of the hardwood floor.
- Protect your floor from direct sun rays.
- Maintain the humidity in your home between 35% to 55%.
- Don’t use hard narrow furniture rollers. Use only wide rubber rollers.
- To prevent surface damage, don’t roll heavy appliances and furniture on the floor.
- To prevent finish scratches, keep your animal nails trimmed.
- Use exterior and interior doormats at entrances to collect moisture and dirt that helps to prevent them from being tracked onto the floor.
- Don’t use water-based waxes or acrylic, one-step waxes or furniture waxes.
- Don’t use liquid wax which is designed for wood floors.
- Use stripper to remove the old wax buildup.
- Don’t use alkaline products or abrasive cleaners and ammonia. These products will damage the finish of the floor.
- Don’t allow the water to stand on your floor.