This article deals with various ways to get rid of a beehive. There are thousands of species of bees in the world. They live in a group in their beehive. A beehive is a basic structure where bees live, it is also known as “nest”. These beehives can be present near your home or in the ground. Bees can live up to 5 years though average lifespan of 2 to 3 years. Female bees build hives without the help of male drones. They can also build their hives on the ground by making simple holes in the soil. These hives are made up of cells where they place their eggs. Although bees are very useful for many purposes as they produce honey but their hives can create a problem for you. They can damage your property. They can also harm people who are allergic to bee stings. So getting rid of beehives is necessary. This article will help you to know about different remedies to get rid of a beehive. You can use some insecticide and some home remedies to destroy the beehive.
Methods to Get Rid of a Beehive:
1.) Box Trap to Get Rid of a Beehive Fast
Card box trap is very effective method to remove the beehive.
Steps to Use Box Trap:
- Buy a card box or sticky traps of medium size and put them inside.
- Take the center of a few flowers and sprinkle it on the sticky traps.
- Make holes about 3 inches around, so that the bees can enter inside.
- Pour some honey on the sticky traps to attract more bees.
- Put the card box near the hive about 5-10 feet away. Wait for some time.
- The bees will stick in the card box. Now you can call someone to remove them.
- Make sure while doing this, you wear protective clothes since the bees can attack you. If possible, ask a professional to remove the nest or spray insecticide in the box to get rid of a beehive.
2.) Insecticide to Get Rid of a Beehive Fast
You can also purchase insecticide to kill the bees and damage their hive. Use cans which offer long range spraying to kill bees. Spray the insecticide on the beehive. Before using the spray, wear gloves. Use precautions as the bees can be alive. After killing the bees carry the hive to a safe area where it can be burnt or damaged.
3.) Vinegar to Get Rid of a Beehive at Home
Vinegar is one of the best home remedies for killing bees. Since vinegar has a pungent smell, so it will help you to get rid of beehives.
Steps to Use Vinegar to Treat Bee Infestation:
- In a spray bottle mix water and vinegar in the proportion of 50:50.
- Spray the solution on the nest at night as bees are not active in the night.
- Wear gloves, long pants, and a long-sleeve shirt to protect yourself from being stung.
- Spray the mixture on the areas where the bees usually come such as flower beds, plants, and bushes.
- Next day you will see the dead bees. Now you can destroy their hive.
4.) Soap Water to Get Rid of Beehive Fast
Soap is a surfactant which makes water wetter. It can kill bees and other insects as well. Soap allow water to enter in the bees or insects.
Steps to Use Soap Water to Remove Beehive:
- Add soap to the water and pour this solution into a spray bottle.
- Spray this soap water on beehive to kill the bees.
- Before spraying this soapy water protects yourself by wearing protective clothes.
5.) Boric Acid to Get Rid of a Beehive in a Tree
Boric acid is another effective home remedy to get rid of a beehive. Boric acid has some active ingredients that can help you to get rid of bees fast. It comes in the powder form. It is very toxic to insects especially bees. You can buy this acid from chemical stores. When this acid is inserted to the beehive, it can kill the entire bees immediately.
6.) Black Pepper to Get Rid of a Beehive
Black pepper can also be used to kill the bees. Bees cannot resist the smell of the pepper and thus they will die. Wear protective gloves before spraying the black pepper powder. By doing this, you can easily remove the beehive from your house. Black pepper is easily available in the market.
7.) Almond Oil to Get Rid of a Beehive Naturally
Almond oil is one of the best home remedies for killing bees or wasps. Pour some almond oil on the beehive. When the bees will come in contact with the oil, they will die instantly. You can use this oil on the beehive during the day also.
Steps to Use Almond Oil to Get Rid of Yellow Jackets:
- Pour some almond oil on the beehive.
- When the bees will come in contact with the oil, they will die instantly.
- You can use this oil on the beehive during the day also.
8.) Call a Beekeeper to Get Rid of a Beehive Fast
Bees contain 10,000-50,000 bees in the hive. Some bees are more aggressive and can sting if the hive is threatened. In such case, you need to search online or in yellow pages to call a beekeeper. Ask someone to contact a beekeeper. Call a local beekeeper to remove their beehive.
- Remove the sweet foods such as soda, ice cream, fruits and juice because bees are attracted to sweet foods.
- Don’t seal the exit hole of bee colony because they can find another way out to build their hive.
- Consult a professional if bees are not removed from above remedies.
- Pets, children and other should not be around when you treat a bee problem.
- Don’t use a bright light to remove a hive at night. Use a red light to avoid bees. Bees can sting you at night if they feel that their hive is threatened.
- If the beehive is in a tree then you can fill the entrance hole with silicone, cement or foam.