This article is about ways to get rid of fleas fast. You have invited your friends to the dinner tomorrow, but forgot that you have some unwanted pets, fleas, in the house. Now you want to get rid of these fleas as fast as possible. If you are looking for the remedies which work really fast in getting rid of fleas then you are reading the correct article. This article tells you about some methods that can help you get rid of fleas fast.
Know About Fleas:
Fleas are the small jumping insects that feed on the blood of birds and mammals. They live mostly on dogs and cats. They make their home in their fur and lay eggs. Basically, the fur of the pets work as a shelter for fleas, eggs and larvae. They enter the human world through pets. If you have your pet roaming around the house, then there are chances of fleas being found in the different areas of the house.
Types of Fleas:
There are basically two types of fleas but that doesn’t matter a lot. The treatments for these are the same.
- Ctenocephalides canis – dog fleas
- Ctenocephalides felis – cat fleas
Cat fleas can affect dogs as well.
Causes of Fleas Infestation and Their Impact on Humans:
Fleas infest your house through your pets. If your dog live in your house more than the yard, then your house is at higher risk of inviting these unwanted creatures. Fleas live in the furs of the pets and get dropped when they roam around the house. So, your house is more prone to these fleas if you have pets roaming around the house. Jumping off the pets, they take shelter in your bed, carpet and rugs.
Humans are not their first choice. If their population increases and the pets are not sufficient for them then they go for animals. They do not cause much harm to humans unless they carry diseases with them. Yes, they do bite. Flea bite is like any other insect bite. It itches and redness appears on the skin. Anesthetic lotions help you with the redness and itching. You can use an antiseptic soap to prevent any kind of infection. Fleas may sometimes carry some diseases with them. Parasitic dermatitis, Lyme disease, Bartonella, erlichiosis, ricketssiae, myxomotosis and plague are the diseases which they carry with themselves.
Ways to Get Rid of Fleas Fast:
These fleas may create a lot of nuisance when they multiply themselves. At one point you get so irritated that you want to get rid of these fleas at any cost. You start looking for fast remedies. You look for the remedies which can work as fast as possible. These uninvited guests, hanging around the house, pushes you into the situations where you have to look for fast remedies. Here are ten remedies which can help you get rid of fleas fast:
1.) Fleas Trap Remedy
One of the easiest and also the best home remedies to get rid of fleas fast, is the dish washing liquid. Dish washing liquid potent to kill these tiny monsters and eliminate them from your house. In case fleas have affected your dog or other pets, simply give them a dish wash bath and see how magically these pesks are killed.
- Fill a few bowls with water and dish washing liquid.
- Take as many bowls as you want to keep at various infested sites.
- Use the washing liquid in a generous amount.
- Place a tea candle in the center of each of the bowl.
- If the candle doesn’t stand in the bowl, place it near the bowl.
- Light the candle, and now, leave the trap overnight.
- Next morning, you will witness the fleas dead inside the bowl.
- Dispose of the contents of the bowls.
- Repeat the remedy thrice a week if your house is badly infested.
- This is one of the effective home remedies to get rid of fleas.
NOTE- Be extra cautious as you are using fire and keeping it lit, overnight. Keep it away from the bed sheets and curtains.
2.) Vacuum Your House and Clean Your Pet
This easy method helps to get rid of fleas fast. The process needs efforts and a lot of hard work. But, once implemented successfully, the end results will be quite effective. This makes it as one of the effective remedy to get rid of fleas fast.
- You have to vacuum your house perfectly.
- Make sure that you don’t miss any part of the house.
- Now give your dog a bath.
- Wash it properly using a good shampoo.
- It kills the fleas by drowning them, but the eggs and larvae are not easily killed.
- For the eggs and larvae you have to comb the fur of the dog properly.
3.) Spray Insecticides to Get Rid of Fleas Fast
This method is one among those effective methods that are used to get rid of fleas fast. Spray insecticides everywhere around your house. Pay special attention to the areas where you think that these little beasts are more active. Make sure that the insecticide you are using contain IGR (Insect Growth Regulator). It works on larvae and eggs laid by fleas and counters their growth. IGR is the most important thing to be used in order to get rid of insects. It controls the growth rate of fleas.
Herbal Flea Sprays
You can prepare your own herbal pesticides at home. They are chemical free and 100% natural. Thus, do not cause any harm to your family members including the pets. You can easily prepare these natural sprays at home using safe and natural ingredients.
- Mix a gallon of vinegar with 1/2 gallon of water, 16 oz of lemon juice and 8 oz of witch hazel.
- Pour all the ingredients in a spray bottle.
- Spray the solution to the infested areas, including the carpets, pets, furniture, bedding, window sills.
- Cover every possible corner of your house including you.
- Now, use a vacuüm cleaner to suck away all the eggs, larvae and dead bodies.
- If any remains are still left, collect them with a broom and vacuüm again.
- Follow the remedy for almost a week.
- This will help to eliminate any remaining fleas.
- This grabs its place among all other excellent home remedies to get rid of fleas fast.
NOTE- Prevent any contact of the spray with your eyes and your pet’s eyes as it can cause inflammation, even loss of sight in severe conditions.
4.) Apple Cider Vinegar to Get Rid of Fleas Fast
Apple Cider Vinegar can prove to be a fast remedy. It is anti-bacterial in nature and helps to get rid of fleas fast by killing them. This makes it as an effective home remedy to eliminate fleas from your house. This is best when it reaches the system. Vinegar reaches the hair and it becomes very good to counter fleas. You can see the difference as soon as your dog finishes the drink.
- Add a spoon of apple cider vinegar to every four cups of water.
- Make your dog drink 2-3 bowls of apple cider vinegar water.
- Also, make sure that your dog finishes the mixture.
- You can also make you dog bath with this ACV and water mixture.
- Also, using ACV as a spray for the infested areas will help to get rid of fleas fast and effectively.
5.) Herbal Mixture to Get Rid of Fleas Fast
Prepare a herbal mixture for your dog. Do not think that if it is herbal than it can never work fast. That’s not the case. Though it is a herbal remedy, it works fantastically to get rid of fleas fast. Follow the enlisted steps:
- Take a pan and boil some water in it.
- Add rosemary leaves to the boiling water.
- Discard the leave and strain the water.
- Add that water to lukewarm water and pour it on your dog.
- It will kill the fleas.
- When your dog is completely rinsed, comb its hair.
- It takes away the eggs and the larvae.
6.) Borocate Acid and Botanical Dust
Want to get rid of fleas fast? Use borocate acid and botanical dust. Fleas get killed when they don’t get blood to feed on. They can survive only on blood. But, the eggs and the larvae do not need blood to feed on. Borocate acid and botanical dust help counter these eggs and larvae.
- Make a mixture of borocate acid and botanical dust and use it in every corner of the house.
- Dust your carpet, furniture and the bed of your pet.
- You have to be away from your house for the next 24 hours after completing the process.
- Repeat the remedy as necessary to get rid of fleas fast.
NOTE- Make sure to avoid any kind of contact with the acid and stay away as far as possible.
7.) Go for a Dehumidifier to Get Rid of Fleas Fast
Fleas require 505 higher relative humidity. Get a dehumidifier and bring down the humidity level to less than 50%. The best part about a dehumidifier is that it not only kills the adult fleas, but destroys the eggs and larvae as well. Use it for two days and the fleas will disappear.
- Simply place a dehumidifier at the infested area or in every room at your place, if possible.
- Also, if your pet is infested, make sure that it stays nearby the dehumidifier or place a machine their if it has a separate room.
8.) Salt Spray Remedy to Get Rid of Fleas Fast
Salt is the most common ingredient that helps you to eliminate flea infestation in the house. This is because it acts as a natural dehydrating agent for the fleas and sucks up every drop of the fluid present in their bodies. Thus, making it one of the excellent and inexpensive home remedies to get rid of fleas fast.
- Get common salt or sea salt in enough quantity.
- This depends on the infested area that you are targeting.
- Grind the salt to get a fine powder.
- Fill this powdered salt in any of your spice bottle.
- Sprinkle this salt all over the flea infested sites..
- Spare your pets from this.
- It is not for them as salt can damage their skin and also dehydrate their skin.
- Leave the salt sprinkled to the site for almost 12-48 hours.
- Now, use a vacuum to suck up all the salt and debris from the areas.
- Repeat the remedy regularly to get rid of fleas fast.
9.) Boric Acid Remedy to Get Rid of Fleas Fast
Boric acid works similar to salt when you want to use it in order to get rid of fleas. This is because it acts as a desiccant or a dehydrating agent for the fleas thus helping to eliminate them permanently.
- Fill a normal sprinkler with the boric acid.
- Sprinkle the acid to all the flea infested places like carpets, beddings, pillows etc.
- Now, use a carpet brush to evenly spread the acid.
- Leave it for almost 12-48 hours.
- After this, vacuum away all the debris, eggs and larvae of the fleas along with the acid powder.
- Repeat the remedy to get rid of any flea infestation in the house.
- This proves as one of the excellent ways to get rid of fleas fast.
NOTE- Use Boric acid cautiously, as it can harm your skin and the pets too.
10.) Pennyroyal Herb Remedy to Get Rid of Fleas Fast
There is a variety of pennyroyal herbs available in the market among which, European Pennyroyal, American Pennyroyal are traditionally used as natural remedy for fleas. However, this is harmful and is also used for abortions by Native Americans and it can even kill your pets. So, be cautious while using this herb to get rid of fleas fast. This herb helps to repel the fleas and prevent their infestation.
- Simply place Pennyroyal plants around your yards, especially where the pets play.
- This will keep the area flea free.
- But, make sure to cover the plants by using fine nets or fences to keep your pets and kids away.
- Another remedy is to simply crush a few pennyroyal leaves in a pestle.
- Leave until the aroma smears all over the area.
- You can also tie the crushed leaves in a cheesecloth and hang it to the infested areas.
- Make sure that no juice spills on the floor.
- Aware your family members about this so that they can stay away from it.
- You can also prepare a cloth tube and fill it with dried pennyroyal leaves.
- Secure the inner lining of the cloth tube with a plastic bag so that the dried leaves do not spill out when powdered.
- Use this as a collar for your pets to keep them flea free.
NOTE- Please use pennyroyal with caution as it is dangerous for both humans and pets. It can even lead to fertility issues in both.
11.) Spray Your Yard to Get Rid of Fleas Fast
You have sprayed your house, but in order to get rid of fleas completely, you should spray your yard as well. Use the same spray that you use in your house. Spray it everywhere where your dog sits, sleeps and plays.
Concentrate on the area which does not face the sunlight as fleas tend to avoid sunlight. Spray the yard properly and get rid of fleas fast.
12.) Food Grade and Salt to Get Rid of Fleas Fast
Wear a dust mask and sprinkle the mixture of food grade (Diatomaceous earth) and salts. They are easily available at stores in the market.
- Sprinkle it around your house.
- Three days later, vacuum your house and the fleas are gone.
- Put you efforts and get rid of fleas fast.