If you are looking to get rid of fleas from dogs, then this article is the right place for you. If you have pets, especially dogs, then sometimes they bring pests with themselves. These unwanted pests nesting in your dog’s fur are known as fleas. Fleas are small dark brown insects that prefer temperatures of 65 degrees to 80 degree and humidity levels of 75 to 85 percent. Dogs and cats get infested by fleas by coming in contact with them in the environment they live. They can also attack your pet if your pet comes in contact with other animals. Fleas can’t fly because they don’t have wings.
The bite of fleas may cause itching on your pets which can lead to inflammation, hair loss and secondary skin infections. Fleas prefer animals but when their population increases, they look for other options and thus infest your house. Getting rid of fleas from dogs will take a little effort. We will discuss the best remedies that will help you to treat your dog with care. Read the article and learn about the best ways to get rid of fleas.
Symptoms of Fleas Infestation:
- Patchy areas of hair loss
- Pus oozing out of skin sores
Diseases Caused by Fleas:
- Parasitic Dermatitis
- Lyme Disease
Best Remedies to Get Rid of Fleas From Dogs:
Follow these tips which will help you to get rid of fleas from dogs.
1.) Flea Collar to Get Rid of Fleas From Dogs Fast
A flea collar is a great way to remove fleas without applying something topically. It helps to keep the flea control constant and steady. Thus, making an effective home remedy to get rid of fleas on dogs.
Steps to Use Flea Collar to Treat Fleas Infestation:
- Dilute 2 to 3 drops of lavender oil or cedar oil in 1-3 tbsp of water.
- Take your dog’s collar or bandana and
- Apply 5 to 10 drops of this mixture.
- Rub it on both sides of the fabric.
- Now, tie this collar around your dog’s neck.
- Apply this oil mixture to the collar once a week.
- This will give effective results in getting rid of fleas on dogs.
2.) Flea Comb to Get Rid of Fleas From Dogs
Flea comb consists of lemon extracts that makes the best solution to get rid of fleas on dogs. This is because of the Limonene present in lemon, which is a chemical that helps to kill and repel fleas. It is safe for both humans and pets.
Steps to Use Flea Comb to Prevent Fleas from Infestation:
- Boil a pot of fresh water and add the slices of lemon to it.
- After adding the lemon, turn off the heat and cover the pot.
- Let the mixture steep overnight.
- Next morning, dip the brush of your pet in this liquid and comb their hair.
- You can also use a sponge to simply smear the liquid all over their body.
- Repeat the method daily to get effective results.
3.) Flea Deterring Drink to Get Rid of Fleas From Dogs
Flea deterring drink is also a very effective remedy to remove fleas from the dogs. It helps to deter fleas and also, it improves a dog’s skin and coat condition from inside-out. This eventually will make unfavorable conditions for the fleas to reside on your dog’s skin.
Steps to Use Flea Deterring Drink to Remove Fleas from Dogs:
- Take 1 tsp of white distilled vinegar or apple cider vinegar.
- Add it to 1 quart of your pet’s drinking water.
- Repeat the process everyday to get effective results.
4.) Flea Spray to Get Rid of Fleas From Dogs Fast
By using flea spray, your dog will get a gleaming finish to its coat. This is because of the ingredients combined to form a flea spray that also proves as an effective remedy to get rid of fleas on dogs.
Steps to Use Flea Spray to Avoid Fleas Fast:
- Take a cup of apple cider vinegar and add it to 1 quart of fresh water.
- Now add 2 to 3 drops of lavender or cedar oil to it.
- Fill your spray bottle with this solution.
- Spray it around the neck and behind the ears but don’t spray it near eyes or on the face.
- Now damp a soft cloth with the solution and wipe it on.
- Spray it on your dog’s bedding.
5.) Flea Bag to Get Rid of Fleas From Dogs
Fleabag is a little sachet which contains things that repel pests or fleas from your dog. It is one of the amazing method to treat fleas infestation, eventually getting rid of fleas on dogs, effectively.
Steps to Use Flea Bag to Remove Fleas from Dogs:
- Cut 2 to 6-inch fabric in a square and put them together inside-out.
- Sew all sides except one side.
- Now fill it with a handful of fragrant cedar chips, 1-2 tsp of lavender oil and a few grated lemon peels.
- Now tie it with ribbon and place it under your pet’s bed.
- Change the mixture every month to get rid of fleas.
6.) Flea Bath to Get Rid of Fleas From Dogs
Wash your dog or pet to deter the fleas. Giving them a bath is one of the most important and effective ways to get rid of fleas from dogs, permanently. All you are required to do is mix a few flea repellents in the bathing water or prepare your own herbal anti-flea shampoo.
Steps to Use Flea Bath to Get Rid of Fleas from Dogs Naturally:
- Take half a cup of lime juice, one-half cups of water and ¼ cup of mild pet shampoo or grated soap.
- Stir this mixture well.
- Wash your pet or dog with this mixture to keep the fleas away.
- Sort the amount of required mixture depending on the size of your pet or dog.
7.) Spray Insecticide to Get Rid of Fleas From Dogs
Use IGR (Insect Growth Regulator), which is an ingredient spray that is the most important part of flea control process. This works effectively in treating flea infestation and getting rid of fleas on dogs.
Steps to Use Spray Insecticide to Prevent Fleas From Dogs:
- Spray this insecticide in one of the areas where you see the fleas most.
- Also, spray it on your pet’s bedding and around the places that are frequently visited by your dog.
- You can also spray it on carpets, floors, soft furnishings and rugs to kill the fleas.
8.) Essential Oils to Get Rid of Fleas From Dogs Fast
Try to use natural essential oils which do not harm your pet but will be harmful to the fleas. You can consider oils such as rosemary oil, eucalyptus oil, citrus oil, cedar oil and tea tree oil. Wash their head first so that the fleas don’t jump up to the head during the bath.
- Simply add a few drops of the chosen oil to your pet’s bath.
- You can also add a few drops to their shampoo.
- Make them bath with it at least twice a week.
- This will help you to eliminate all the fleas on dogs easily.
9.) Herbal Spray to Get Rid of Fleas on Dogs in Your House Naturally
Herbal spray is one of the best natural remedies to eliminate fleas from your house and pets as well. The ingredients of this herbal spray is safe for pets without any harmful side effects.
Steps to Use Herbal Spray to Remove Fleas from Dogs Naturally:
- Take 2 liters of vinegar, 1 liter of water, 500 ml lemon juice and 250 ml witch hazel.
- Mix all these ingredients to make a herbal spray.
- Take a spray bottle and fill this bottle with herbal solution.
- Spray this solution on your furniture, carpets, floors, pet bedding and also on your pets.
- This method will help to remove the fleas from your house and dogs as well.
10.) Diatomaceous Earth to Get Rid of Fleas From Dogs Fast
Diatomaceous earth is the best home remedy to kill fleas. This will help to remove the fleas on dogs, easily and permanently. It comprises of fossilized plants (Diatoms) which acts like microscopic razors, cutting into anything such as ticks, pests and fleas.
Steps to Use Diamomaceous Earth to Kill Fleas:
- Wash everything in your house.
- Then, dust this powder where you see the fleas and also on your pets.
- Leave this powder for 12 to 48 hours.
- After some time, remove the dead fleas.
- You can also make solution with this powder and use it to remove the fleas from dogs.
Home Remedies to Get Rid of Fleas from Dogs
1.) Liquid Dish Soaps to Remove Fleas from Dogs
Liquid dish soap is one of the best remedies to get rid of fleas from dogs. It is very effective to treat the flea infestation on your pets and around the house as it helps to destroy the flea’s exoskeleton. It is best way to get rid of fleas in young puppies and kittens.
- If you are looking for simple and effective method then you can give bath to your pet with a solution of warm water and mild dish soap instead of pet’s shampoo. Leave the puppy in the solution and let it soak for about 5 to 10 minutes. The fleas will simply fall off when you wash your pet. Repeat this remedy a few times a week for 1 or 2 weeks.
- You can go for another option, you just have to fill the large a bowl with a cups of few hot water and 1 to 2 tablespoons of mild dish soap. Take a flea comb and dip into the solution then use it to comb your pet’s fur. Repeat this remedy once daily as per need.
2.) Apple Cider Vinegar to Prevent Fleas from Dogs
Apple cider vinegar is very effective in number of home remedies. It is one of the amazing remedies to get rid of fleas from dogs. Apple cider vinegar helps you to control the fleas’ infestation in pets. It won’t kill the fleas but fleas really dislike the smell and taste, so that they avoid hosts that smell like apple cider vinegar. The best thing is nontoxic to dog and cat.
- You just have to mix equal part of apple cider vinegar and water in spray bottle. If you want, then you can also add 2 or 3 drops of lavender oil or cedar oil to the mixture. Just spray the solution on the pets. Avoid spraying on your pet’s eyes, ears and nose. Repeat this method daily.
- You can use same homemade solution and spray the solution on baseboards, windowills, furniture, wooden floor, carpet, furniture and other places where you find the fleas.
3.) Neem (Indian Lilac) to Get Rid Fleas from Dogs
Neem is highly known as Indian Lilac. It is the most effective remedy and also help to control a flea infestation in your house as well as your dogs. Felines are very sensitive to neem, so better not to use on cats. It is the odor of Neem that helps to prevent the pests’ infestation. You can use both neem and neem oil to get rid of fleas from dogs.
- Just take a handful leaves in cup of warm water and let it sit overnight. Next morning, grind those leaves in water then strain the mixture through a cheese cloth and then through a filter paper. Use that solution and put it on the spray bottle. Spray the solution on your pet. You can put it on bedding and floor. Repeat often.
- You can also dilute the neem oil with water or almond oil in the ration 1:10. Put the solution on your palms and gently rub it through your dog’s fur.
4.) Borax to Ward off Fleas from Dogs
Borax is one of the effective natural insecticides. It works by drying out the fleas, pupae, larvae and eggs which ultimately kill them. But always remember borax is not safe for pets and also you have to be careful while using it on fleas, especially if there are young children in household.
- You just need vacuum your carpets and other major areas that has fleas problem.
- Before proceeding for this method, you need to wear mask and sprinkle the borax powder gently on your carpets and other areas.
- Let the powder sit on the area for about 6 to 8 hours.
- Then again vacuum the carpet and other area where you have used borax powder.
- You can also use borax powder on the lawn area surrounding your home.
5.) Salt to Remove Fleas from Dogs
Salt is non-chemical and non-toxic ingredients that has been used safely indoors to fight against the fleas. The ingredient is very effective and safe. It won’t harm your pet and children of your house. You can use it safely to combat fleas. Salt is hygroscopic, so it attract moisture and fleas do not like the moist places. It also acts like dehydration agent which also helps you dry out the fleas bodies which ultimately leads to death.
- You just have to sprinkle highly refined salt lightly but properly and evenly on carpet, wooden floor, and other possible infested area.
- Allow the salt sit on the infested area for about 12 to 18 hours, and then vacuum it.
- Repeat this remedy regularly for atleast 1 week.
6.) Lemon to Prevent Fleas from Dogs
Lemon is one of the natural and effective home remedies to get rid of fleas from dog. It gently removes the existing fleas and also kills the eggs that may have been laid. It is not harmful for your pet and your children can play with your pet safely.
- You just need to cut slice 1 to 2 lemons in slices and place those slice into a pan of water and bring it to boil.
- Turn off the heat and let the solution steep overnight. Just strain the solution and put the solution into the spray bottle.
- Before spraying the solution, avoid areas like nose, ears and eyes to avoid irritation.
- Start spraying solution to dampen its fur and comb it properly by using flea comb. Repeat this process as per need.
- You can even put spray only to those areas where you suspect flea’s hangout.
7.) Cedar Wood Chips to Get Rid of Fleas from Dogs
The best way to get rid of fleas from pets is to control and prevent fleas from investing in your yard. Cedar woods are the best solution as they hate smell of cedar wood chips. They are absolutely very natural and are not harmful for your nearby plants or pets.
8.) Wash Your Pet’s Belonging to Ward off Fleas from Dogs
In mostly cases fleas enter in house via pet’s belonging. So it is really important to keep check on your pet and pet’s belonging. In fact, you should always check your pet for fleas before bringing them into the house. Keep the area regularly clean where your pet lie or sleep on.