In this article, we will discuss how to get rid of fleas in home. Fleas are the wingless, creepy insects which appear small but can give you sleepless nights. Fleas like to thrive on warm vertebrates. Thus, your pets like dogs, cats, rabbits and even you can be their hosts. One reason for their presence in your home is the fact that the eggs of fleas can get dropped inside your house anywhere. These eggs, then transform into larvae and later into fleas. The most irritating part is that flea eggs can remain undeveloped for more than a year. That’s why sometimes when you have even cleaned your home and you feel that your home is free from fleas, they appear from nowhere. Therefore, you need to keep a regular watch and clean your home regularly once you have eliminated fleas. Below we have listed some of the effective home remedies for fleas treatment. These remedies will not only help eliminate the fleas, but also prevent them from recurring.
Home Remedies to Get Rid of Fleas in Home
1.) Salt Remedy to Get Rid of Fleas in Home Fast
Salt is a common ingredient which is easily available. The salt remedy can help you get rid of fleas fast, especially from your carpets. Salt works as a dehydrating agent for fleas which dry out their bodies. Here’s what you need to do.
- Take some salt and see whether it is finely ground or not. If not, grind it to make a fine salt powder.
- Take a bottle and fill it with this salt, leaving a little room on the top.
- Now shake and sprinkle the salt from it.
- Sprinkle the salt over your carpets in all rooms. Make sure you sprinkle it everywhere evenly.
- Allow it to work for 12-48 hours.
- After 2 days, vacuum the place thoroughly.
2.) Flea Trap to Get Rid of Fleas in Home
A dishwashing flea trap is one of the easiest remedies to catch and eliminate annoying fleas. If you give your pet a bath with a dishwashing liquid, you’ll be able to kill the fleas from its body as well. A flea trap can help you clean up the entire house effectively.
- In the night, keep a bowl or a plate in your every room, especially in the middle of the room. Keep it on the floor.
- Fill these bowls with warm water. Add dishwashing liquid to this water.
- Put a tea candle in the center of each plate. If using a bowl, you might not be able to place a candle inside it. Place the candle near the bowl.
- Light the candles.
- The fleas will get attracted towards the light. As they jump towards the light, they will get trapped in the viscosity of the liquid. Thus, fleas will get trapped and die.
- Do this for several days if your home is badly infected with fleas.
3.) Boric Acid to Get Rid of Fleas in Home
Boric acid works similar to salt when it is about eliminating fleas. Boric acid works as a dehydrating agent. It causes severe dehydration in fleas and ultimately kills them.
- Take an empty bottle with a plastic cap. Puncture the lid with a pointed needle. Make several tiny holes in it.
- Fill the bottle with boric acid and close the lid.
- Vacuum the area where you want to sprinkle boric acid.
- Sprinkle the boric acid on the concerned area. Cover all the area and try not to leave any affected place.
- Leave it on for a couple of days hours.
- Finally, vacuum all the areas treated with boric acid.
- Keep a check on the place regularly.
4.) Herbal Flea Spray to Get Rid of Fleas in Home
This homemade flea spray includes ingredients like lemon juice and witch hazel. These ingredients are completely safe for your pets and kids. You can also get rid of fleas from your cats and dogs also. Here’s the method to make this herbal flea spray.
- First, you need to clean the entire place with the help of the vacuum and then only use the flea spray.
- Take vinegar, water, lemon juice and witch hazel. Mix them all well.
- Fill this mix into the sprayer.
- Spray everything where you see signs of fleas, such as your furniture, carpets, pet bedding, window sills, floors. Spray at every nook and corner of your home.
- Do this every day for at least a week depending upon the condition of flea infestation in your house.
- Keep spraying in at a regular period of time.
5.) Rosemary to Get Rid of Fleas in the House
Rosemary is also useful for controlling flea problem in your house. You can use rosemary for flea as a powder, a rinse, or an oil as well. You can wash your pets with rosemary water. But, cats should not be considered for this treatment because of certain reactions in them. You can pour rosemary oil in your pet’s collar. And, rosemary powder can be anywhere in your home.
- Take Equal parts of rosemary, rue, wormwood, peppermint and mix them all.
- Grind them all till they turn to a fine powder.
- Sprinkle this powder on all the areas where you find fleas.
- This is only a flea repellent and not a way to kill fleas.
6.) Citronella Essential Oil to Get Rid of Fleas in Home
Citronella oil has been used traditionally to get rid of fleas. It is a volatile oil, which is safe to be used not only for pets but also for humans. Citronella oil repels insects like fleas and ticks, mosquitoes, black flies, etc. You can even mop your floors with a mixture of essential oils with citronella oil.
- Vacuum your whole house properly and empty the vacuum bag properly.
- Take 1 gallon of warm water and mix 20 drops of citronella oil, 5 drops of geranium oil and 10 drops each of tea tree oil and lemongrass oil.
- Mop the floors of your home with this water. Do not leave any area.
- Initially mop daily with this scented water. Later, you can do it once a week to keep the fleas and other insects away from your house.
7.) Use Pennyroyal Herb to Get Rid of Fleas in the House
There are different varieties of the pennyroyal herb available. European and American pennyroyal have been successfully used to prevent fleas. However, pennyroyal is harmful for human and animal health. So, when you don’t want to kill fleas and just want to deter them, you can use pennyroyal. But remember to use it with precautions.
- Grow some pennyroyal plant around your home, especially where your pets and kids are unable to reach.
- Take a handful of fresh pennyroyal leaves and crush them in a mortar and pestle till the leaves discharge oil and aroma.
- Keep this paste of pennyroyal leaves in a cheesecloth and tie it.
- Hang this cheesecloth in the area which is badly infested with fleas.
8.) Horse Apples to Get Rid of Fleas in Home
Horse apple is another fine remedy to get rid of fleas effectively and naturally. It has been used traditionally for repelling insects. You can also try this out.
- Take some horse apples and cut them into pieces
- Keep these pieces everywhere in your home such as in rooms, hallway, window and also in yards.
- Keep one fruit in each room.
- This fruit can last for about 2-3 moths in an air-conditioned environment.
- These fruits will not only control fleas, but also prevent other insects and rodents like, mouse, grass snake etc.
9.) Use Diatomaceous Earth to Get Rid of Fleas in Home
Diatomaceous Earth is the remains of fossilized algae, diatoms. It’s a very fine powder. Fleas or other insects are vulnerable to the sharp edges of diatoms. It cuts through the hard shell of fleas and dry them out. Thus, leads to their death as well as of their larvae. DE is non-toxic to humans and animals.
- Vacuum all the area in your home thoroughly.
- Wash off everything which you can’t vacuum.
- Sprinkle the DE on the concerned area in your home.
- Leave the Diatomaceous earth in these places for a couple of days.
- After 1-2 days vacuum away all the powder and remember to dispose of the vacuum bag.
- You can even sprinkle this Diatomaceous earth in your yard, but you will need a large quantity of this powder.
- Remember to buy the food grade DE. Use it in dry form only.
- Don’t purchase DE which is used for pool filtration. They are hazardous.
- Also, wear a face mask and gloves while working with any such material.
- Avoid DE from coming in contact with your pets as it can dry out their skin.
10.) Homemade Flea Spray to Get Rid of Fleas in Home
Instead of buying a hazardous flea spray from the market, you can make your own herbal flea spray with natural ingredients such as lemons, rosemary and some essential oil. Here’s how to do it.
- Take a big bowl and put some lemon slices in it.
- Chop some rosemary leaves.
- Add this chopped rosemary leaves to the lemon slices in the bowl.
- Add some boiling water to the bowl.
- Now, pour some geranium oil.
- Cover it and leave overnight.
- Next morning, strain and fill the water in the sprayer.
- Your homemade flea spray is ready to kill fleas.
- Spray the solution on wherever you think flea congregates.
- You can sprinkle it on your pet’s bedding also. It is a safe herbal solution.