This article is about various remedies to get rid of rats. Looking for ways to save your home from the rat infestation? Well, if yes then you are at right place. This article will help you to deal with the rat infestation. Rats are the type of rodents who tend to enter the premises in search of food. They can eat anything, right from the grains, garbage to leftover food. If they are not dealt timely they could spread serious infections. They enter in the premises through the holes and other places which you can’t even think of. So, before starting with the remedies, look for all the places that provide the path to these rodents. Once you find these areas you can easily start with below listed remedies to get rid of rats.
Home Remedies to Get Rid of Rats:
1.) Peppermint or Peppermint Oil to Get Rid of Rats
The first home remedy that comes in our mind while dealing with rats infestation is peppermint. Rats cannot stand the strong smell of peppermint therefore, it can help you to get rid of the mice. All you have to do is
- Dip a cotton ball into the peppermint oil and place it at the place where rats often come.
- Alternatively, you can place peppermint leaves at the place which is more infested by the rats.
- Do this regularly to get rid of rats.
2.) Reconstrain the Supply of Foods to Get Rid of Rats
The root cause of rat infestation is food. They enter in the premise in the search of the food. They can eat anything from food, cereals, clothes to other stuff. So the basic remedy to deal with rat infestation is to cut off the food supply and block all those places from where they tend to enter. Do remember the following pointers.
- Remove edible temptations from the kitchen.
- Do not leave leftover uncovered.
- When rats do not get anything they can eat clothes as well. To avoid this do not leave your clothes here and there. Keep them in a locked cupboard.
- And do not forget to transfer boxed food items in the tight glass containers or plastic tupperware.
3.) Mothballs to Get Rid of Rats
Another effective remedy for treating rats infestation are mothballs. They are mice deterrents. It is a good repellant. Mice do not like the strong smell of the mothballs. Moreover, it helps to kill the rats. All you need to do is:
- Place some mothballs at the infested place.
- P.S – Make sure that you keep these mothballs out of children and pets reach. It can be harmful to them. Or if you have kids at home then avoid this remedy.
4.) Onions to Get Rid of Rats
Like many people, rats can also not stand the strong smell of the onions. When rats will smell the strong odor of the onion they will leave the place. Do the following to treat rat infestation.
- Cut onion into two slices and place it at the place which is infested by the rats.
- Keep changing the onions regularly. And dispose the used onions.
5.) Mint to Get Rid of Rats
If you do not get a peppermint then you can also use mint to control rats infestation. You can grow a mint plant in your garden to deter the rats. It is also good repellent. You can also do:
- Sprinkle mint leaves at the places which are often infested by the rats.
- Make sure that you replace the old mint leaves regularly.
6.) Bay Leaves to Get Rid of Rats
Another kitchen remedy that can help you to fight with rat infestation is bay leaves. Like above remedies bay leaves are also good repellent. The strong scent of the bay leaves is not liked by the mice and therefore, they will leave your house. To get rid of the mice fast all you have to do is:
- Place a few bay leaves at the place such as kitchen, pantry and other places which are often visited by the rats.
- Make sure that you change the bay leaves regularly.
7.) Steel Wool to Get Rid of Rats
Steel can also help you a lot in treating the rat infestation. Rats enter the house or premises through the holes or such places where you cannot think off. So before starting with methods to get rid of the rats, search for the places from where the mice enter into your homes. Once you find all the holes and the key areas block them. You can use steel wool to block those areas.
8.) Ammonia to Get Rid of Rats
Ammonia has a pungent smell which rats cannot stand therefore, it can be used to get rid of rats. It is also a good repellent. However make sure that you keep it away from the reach of kids. You can use ammonia in the following ways:
- In a small bowl pour ammonia and place it around the infested areas.
- Place the bowl regularly to deal with the rats.
9.) Baby Powder to Get Rid of Rats
Another item that can help you to get rid of mice is baby powder. Yes, your baby’s powder can prove very helpful to you. Instead of baby powder, you can also use corn flour. It is equally effective. All you have to do is:
- Sprinkle some baby powder or corn flour at all the nook-corners and the holes, from where rats tend to enter the premises.
- Do this regularly to avoid the entry of the rats.
10.) Rattrap to Get Rid of Rats
If all the above remedies do not prove worthy, use rattrap to trap the rats. It is the most effective way to treat rat infestation. Once you trap the rat, set him free in the far flung area. All you need to do is:
- Place a cheese or peanut butter in the rattrap. These two are good baits. They will lure the rat.
- Once the rat enters inside, the door of the rat trapper will be automatically closed. So you do not have to worry.
- Check the rattrap before using it.
11.) Peanut Butter with Boric Acid to Get Rid of Rats
Well, it might sound weird but yes you can also use peanut butter to get rid of rats. It can prove a to be an effective bait that will lure the rat to the mouse trap. On the other hand, boric acid will kill the rats. All you have to do is:
- Sprinkle some boric acid at the holes or the places from where rats enter inside. Place peanut butter along with the boric acid. It will lure them and boric acid will kill the rats. However, keep it out of children’s reach.
- Alternatively, place the peanut butter in the mousetrap.
- Rats love peanut butter, therefore, he will enter in the mousetrap and you can trap them.
12.) Trash Garbage Lids to Get Rid of Rats
Rats enter in the premise in search of food. They can eat anything. To avoid the rat infestation make sure that you tightly close the garbage can. Make sure it has a hard plastic lid that prevents the rats from entering inside. Also, empty the garbage regularly to avoid rat infestation.
13.) Bleach and Water to Get Rid of Rats
Bleach has a pungent smell which is not liked by the rats therefore, it can help you to deal with rats infestation. To prevent the rat infestation clean your home with the solution of bleach and water. All you have to do is:
- Mix bleach in the water that you use for mopping or cleaning yoour house.
- In this way, you can also clean the dropping and smell of the rats and avoid the further entry of the rats. Use gloves while doing so.
14.) Rat Poison to Get Rid of Rats
Apart from above home remedies, you can also use rat poison. It will directly kill the rats and prevent your home from being infested. Rat poison is easily available. All you need to do is:
- Place a rat poison where you suspect rats.
- When they die immediately remove them from your premises.
- P.S- While placing the rat poison make sure that you wear gloves. Moreover, take care of the fact that it is out of reach of kids and pets.
15.) Tame a Cat to Get Rid of Rats
Taming a cat is the easiest and convenient way to prevent rat infestation. Rat is a favourite food of cat and therefore, rats scare from the cats. With the presence of the cat in your home rats will not come and if they dare to come, you know what will happen to them? Obviously, the cat will get her favourite meal!