After writing, how to get rid of cockroaches?, how to get rid of fruit flies?, how to get rid of ants?, and how to get rid of mosquitoes?, we are now writing the best ways to kill bed bugs. Bed bugs are parasites, which feed on the blood of another organism, whether it is a human or an animal. They reside in your mattress, furniture, bed, and luggage. Everyone likes to enjoy a good sleep. After a tiring day, the one thing you look forward to is a good sleep. This small creature, is waiting for you to suck blood and spread diseases. You think you are safe and having a good sleep then this creature is sucking up your blood. In this article we will tell you about how to kill Bed Bugs?
Types of Bed Bugs
- Bat Bugs: They are not commonly found in our house as they feed on bats and found in colder and mild temperatures.
- Domestic Bed Bugs: They are present in our house and found in human surroundings. They are habitual to mild temperatures.
- Tropical Bed Bugs: Their name suggests about their environment. They are similar to domestic bed bugs and stay in hot and humid temperatures.
- Mexican Chicken Bugs: They prefer a cool and mild environment. They infest on domestic fowl and poultries.
- Barn Swallow Bugs: They get into our house with the help of birds. They generally stays in birds nests.
How to Kill Bed Bugs?
1.) Insecticides to Kill Bed Bugs
These chemicals are used to kill them in a fast manner. Today in the market, you can choose any insecticides to kill them as there are many options available. Go for the right one and do some sort of research or you can consult a pest control expert. The known chemicals are pyrethins and insect growth regulators. Make sure the company is registered. Take necessary precautions before using them at the home as they are fatal.
2.) Bleach to Kill Bed Bugs
Bleach is a fast way to kill bed bugs. But, bleach cause breathing issues if you are having some breathing issues then avoid it. Spraying bleach all over your home and bed will kill them fast. Take necessary precautions when using bleach at home. Bleach not only kill bed bugs but it also helps to treat yellow teeth, stomach ache and flies.
3.) Pest Control Expert to Kill Bed Bugs
Since, it is a costly affair than other methods, but it is one of the best ones. An expert, will be having all instruments, sprays that can kill bed bugs instantly without any side effects. You can search for a local pest control expert and let them handle your problem. You can go for this remedy after trying other methods to kill bed bugs. It is a good way to kill bed bugs as these experts have effective insecticides for the bugs.
4.) Hot Water to Kill Bed Bugs
Burning them will be a good way to kill these ugly creatures. Hot water or steam can be used to kill bed bugs as well as their eggs. Apply hot steam to all openings of the wall and pipes through which they enter your house. Apply hot steam carefully as it can burn your skin. When applying hot steam make sure small kids are not present there.
5.) Tea Tree Oil to Kill Bed Bugs
Tea tree oil is also a good option to kill bed bugs. Mix some tea tree oil with water. Spray it all over the infected areas of your house. Do this two times a day and see the difference. It will kill bed bugs and release a soothing smell. Tea tree oil is not only used for bed bugs treatment but also for the hair and skin treatment.
6.) Lavender Oil to Kill Bed Bugs
Lavender oil is not used only for room freshener and skin treatment. It can also be used to kill bed bugs. Before going for insecticides and pesticides to kill bed bugs try this lavender oil for one time. Pour a teaspoon of lavender oil on the cracks and openings of walls and pipes of your house. You will see them disappearing after a few days.
7.) Marine Phytoplankton to Kill Bed Bugs
The product which is made of marine phytoplankton is diatomaceous. They kill bed bugs as well as the eggs of bed bugs. Mix it with water and spray all along your corners of the house and bed. This can be easily available from the nearby store.
8.) Vacuum Cleaner to Kill Bed Bugs
The power of sucking can be feel by using a vacuum cleaner. As bed bugs are light in weight they are easily removed and killed by the vacuum cleaner. Apply vacuum cleaner to all the corners of your house, bed and other places where they can possibly be present. Vacuum cleaner not only removes the bed bugs, but also the dirt and harmful pollutants out of the house.
9.) Cleanliness to Get Rid of Bed Bugs
This is the most important step to kill and get rid of bed bugs. Remove all the unwanted items out of your house. Seal all the openings and cracks of the walls and pipes of your house. Dry your clothes and mattress regularly. Take lukewarm baths and make sure your pest also bath regularly. Make sure you don’t litter around your surroundings and clean your surroundings daily. Bed bugs likes to hide in garbage heaps and piles of leaves, clean them regularly to stop the infestation of bed bugs.
10.) Ozone Generators to Get Rid of Bed Bugs
To kill bed bugs and get rid of harmful indoor air pollution, ozone generator is useful. But, research has shown that it causes respiratory problems like chest pain, coughing, short breath and other health problems. They can be placed at home by calling experts and they are helpful to kill bed bugs. The oxidation process of ozone generators removes the harmful pollutants and bed bugs from the home.
11.) Turmeric Powder to Get Rid of Bed Bugs
This is one of the best remedies to get rid of bed bugs. Turmeric contains an ingredient called curcumin which has antimicrobial properties that makes it difficult for the bed bugs to survive. This also restricts the supply of oxygen inside the mattresses. Bed bugs immediately die due to the lack of oxygen. Follow the steps given below to kill bed bugs.
- Take some turmeric powder and rub it on your furniture and mattresses.
- This will cut the oxygen supply and lead to the death of the bed bugs.
- You can even use turmeric powder to treat bed bug bites. Apply turmeric paste on the affected areas of the skin and the anti-inflammatory properties in it will give you quick relief.
12.) Lemongrass Oil to Kill Bed Bugs
This is one of the most effective remedies to kill bed bugs completely. It creates unfavorable conditions for the bed bugs ultimately causing their death. It increases the acidic level of the environment to the point that it becomes difficult for the bed bugs to survive. Follow the steps given below to get rid of bed bugs.
- Fill a spray bottle with lemongrass oil.
- Sprinkle on the bed bugs infested areas.
- Alternatively, mix equal amounts of lemongrass oil and peppermint oil. The scent of peppermint oil causes allergic reactions which choke these pesky creatures. Make sure that the family members are not allergic to peppermint oil. You can even mix lavender oil with lemongrass oil. Lavender oil nauseates the bed bugs and keeps them away.
13.) Black Walnut Tea to Get Rid of Bed Bugs
This is one of the best remedies to get rid of bed bugs. This is a natural insecticide that repels bed bugs. Black walnut tea contains anti-fungal and antibacterial properties that brings out the bed bugs out from corners and destroys them. It also possesses insecticidal properties that kill the bed bugs completely. Follow the steps given below to kill bed bugs.
- In an herbal sachet, add one part of lavender and 3 parts of black walnut.
- Add one part of mint and 2 parts of sweet flag.
- Add one part of thyme and close it.
- The scent of all these herbs will keep the bed bugs away.
- Change the herbs in every one or two days because the scent of fresh herbs is more strong and powerful.
14.) Bean Leaves to Kill Bed Bugs
This is one of the amazing herbal remedies to kill bed bugs. It is an excellent choice to trap these pesky creatures. The leaves have microscopic hooked hairs that destroy the bed bugs. These hairs pierce through the feet of the bed bugs. Research papers have also been published regarding the use of bean leaves to destroy bed bugs. All you need to do is take some bean leaves and spread it all over your home especially the infested areas. It will trap the bed bug and will pierce the skin ultimately causing their death.
15.) Diatomaceous Earth to Get Rid of Bed Bugs
This is one of the most effective home remedies to get rid of bed bugs. Diatomaceous Earth is actually the fossilized remains of the diatoms that help in destroying the bed bugs. It targets the shell of the bed bugs and destroys them with dryness. It may take approximately about 10 days to kill these pesky creatures. Remember, that this is not used for the mattresses. Follow the steps given below to kill bed bugs completely.
- Take diatomaceous earth powder and put it in the cracks in the walls.
- Spread diatomaceous earth in other infested areas of the house including the spaces around the bed.
Precaution: Make sure you wear a mask if you are using high amount of diatomaceous earth.
16.) Sweet Flag to Get Rid of Bed Bugs
This is one of the excellent choices to get rid of bed bugs completely. Sweet flag is also known as calamus. It possesses antimicrobial properties that make it a good choice to destroy bed bugs. The aromatic properties of sweet flag make it a wonderful and natural bed bug repellent. All you need to do is buy a sweet flag packet from the market and prepare the mixture as per the instructions written on the packet. Now, sprinkle the solution on the infested areas of the house to kill bed bugs completely.
17.) Pyrethrum to Kill Bed Bugs
This is one of the best methods to kill bed bugs. Pyrethrum is formed from the combination of Chysanthemum, dried flower heads of C and Coccineum. These ingredients used in this extract have natural insecticides. Pyrethrum attacks on the nervous system of the bed bugs ultimately killing them. It is very toxic for the bed bugs. All you need to do is spread Pyrethrum all over the house especially the infested areas. You can even use insecticide that contains Pyrethrum and canola oil because it is safe for children and pets.
18.) Lilac to Get Rid of Bed Bugs
This is one of the most effective remedies to get rid of bed bugs. The antimicrobial properties of lilac make it a wonderful remedy for bed bugs. The aroma of lilac eradicates the bed bugs completely. Follow the steps given below to kill bed bugs completely.
- Spray lilac oil directly on the materials in your house to kill bed bugs.
- Crush lilac leaves and spread it all over your house to get rid of bed bugs.
- Boil lilac leaves in water for a few minutes. Strain the water and take a bath in this water. It treats the infested areas of the skin and keeps the bed bugs away.
19.) Beauveria Bassiana to Kill Bed Bugs
This is one of the wonderful methods to kill bed bugs. This is actually fungus and is a natural insecticide that destroys the bed bugs. It is an excellent choice to kill bed bugs in 3 to 5 days. Beauveria Bassiana acts as a parasite on bed bugs and disables them. It has pre lethal effects such as reduced mobility, fecundity and feeding.
20.) Thyme to Get Rid of Bed Bugs
This is one of the best herbal remedies to get rid of bed bugs. The anti-microbial properties of thyme help to destroy the bed bugs. All you need to do is take a thyme stick and tie it to a cotton cloth. Burn it near the infested areas of the house. This will repel the bed bugs. Another thing that you can do is place fresh thyme leaves in net bags. Place these bags in the cupboards, mattress, sofa, corners and at other places.
Precaution: Replace the thyme leaves with fresh leaves in every third day to get best results.
- Make sure that your bed does not stick to the walls.
- Use a plastic cover to the spring box and mattress.
- After travelling wash your clothes and luggage to prevent bed bugs.
- Make sure your bedroom is not cluttered.
- Take professional help if the home remedies are not working.
- Wash your clothes with hot water when you come in contact with the infested areas.