After writing How to get rid of ants?, how to get rid fruit flies?, how to get rid of bed bugs?, and how to get rid of cockroaches?, now we are writing the best ways to kill termites. Everybody wants to have beautiful, neat and clean home. But sometimes due to some pests like termites, can create a serious problem for your home. Termites are colony pests, which can appear in any plant or wood materials. The termites come in five different types, which are Conehead termites, Damp wood termites, Dry wood termites, Formosan termites and Subterranean termites. These termites are naturally equipped to remove away tough cellulose materials. But the most common termites are dry wood termites and subterranean termites, which cause a lot of damage to your home.
They destroy wood as they have special protozoa in their digestive system, which helps to digest wood. Wood is their source of nourishment. The first sign of termite damage are holes in wood and sagging floors, which are noticeable by the people. Termites are the silent killer for many houses throughout the world. There are 40 to 50 species of termites which can be found in unites states alone. You can get beautiful neat and clean house by getting rid of termites. This article will give you affordable methods to kill termites yourself.
Causes of Termites:
- Wooden structures and wood- Termites get easily attract with the wooden material. The cellulose present in wood helps them to feed on cellulose.
- Moisture- The presence of moisture in soil helps them to create their colonies. Standing water also attracts such type of pests.
- Opening in your home- Cracks or any other opening in your home offer opportunities for termites because of searching moisture.
Signs of Termites:
There are some common signs of termites where they can found.
- They can spoil the interior of your home. The paint of your house will start to bubble.
- The mud like materials such as mud tubes can be found in your home or building.
- You can also find their wings in your house.
Best Methods to Kill Termites Yourself:
1.) Boric Acid to Kill Termites Fast
Boric acid is one of the most effective ways to kill the pests like termites. This boric acid dehydrates them and also shuts down their nervous system. Use boric acid to spray wood or coat wood. Wear gloves and a face mask to work with boric acid. Also, keep your children and pets away from the insecticide because this insecticide is toxic when you inhale.
2.) Cardboard Trap to Get Rid of Termites
Termites like to feed on the cardboard or wood. Thus, cardboard attracts termites and it is one of the best methods to kill termites at home.
- Take flat strips of cardboard, wet them and stack them in an area where termites usually come.
- Termites feed on the cardboard, which is an excellent spot trap.
- When the cardboard is infested with termites, take the cardboard out in a safe area and burn it.
- Repeat it many times if necessary.
3.) Hot and Cold Temperature to Get Rid of Termites
There are various treatments that utilize hot and cold temperature to remove out termites. Termites can not live in -20 degrees F or less and hotter temperatures above 120 degrees F or more will kill termites. To get the colder temperature, use liquid nitrogen to get rid of termites when they come into contact with. Sunlight is also the way to kill any type of termites. You can put your furniture which is infested with termites in the sunlight.
4.) Nematodes to Kill Termites Without Pesticides
Nematodes is a very popular solution for termite damage. They are a small worm that are natural parasites for killing termites. They can search for the hosts and burrow into them. Nematodes will reduce termite populations by targeting termite larvae and helps to keep termites away from further damage to your home.
5.) Insecticides and Foams to Kill Termites Fast
Using insecticides and foams are the most common way to get rid of termites. To use these products, you need to vacate your home for a period of time. The insecticides can come in gases and liquids. The foams are good as it allows the poison to get into the cracks of the wood to kill the termites. Use Termidor SC Termiticide Fipronil Case-(4) 20 oz. which can easily remove termites.
6.) Use Termite Control Products to Get Rid of Termites
Use termite control products which are available at your local hardware store. Termite control products are the way to get rid of harmful pests. You can use liquid termite killing product or termite baiting control methods. Place the bait near infested areas and spray the liquid termite control product on that areas.
7.) Essential Oils to Prevent Termites Infestation
Clove bud oil is particularly used for killing termites. Take a sprayer and pour the oil in it. Spray the oil where you see the termites. Use vetiver oil if you want to prevent their appearance.
8.) Sodium Chloride to Kill Termites
You can use sodium chloride to kill the termites. Soak several cotton balls in sodium chloride and then fill these cotton balls in a plastic cover and place it in all infested areas. This helps to kill the pests and stop their recurring.
9.) Pest Repellent to Treat Termites Infestation
Permethrin is a pesticide which have no risk of toxicity. Add 0.1% of permethrin to paint or wood polish while repainting or building the house that will keep termites away permanently. You can also use permethrin to the cement.
10.) Seal The Cracks to Get Rid of Termites
Seal the doorways, windows and cracks around your home so that no termites infest your property. Use screens on your windows, porch and doors which are necessary to prevent termite infestation.
Other Useful Tips:
- Clean your house daily to prevent termite infestation.
- Fill all the unnecessary openings in your house.
- Don’t use unauthorized products to get rid of termites as they can damage your furniture.
- Don’t store extra wooden items because they create excessive moisture and attracts the termites to attack them.
- Maintain the level of moisture in your house or any other building.
- Keep your food in a safe place before killing them.
- Using water is also the best way to kill termites at home.
- Wear protective clothes such gloves and mask before killing them.