Mosquitoes are the most annoying pests and create the worst kind of trouble in the home. You can’t avoid them at night especially at the time of sleeping when you listen the buzzing sounding of these pesky insects around your head. Their bites not only cause great irritation but, it gives birth to various mosquito-borne diseases. The bites of mosquito give itchy and bumpy. Hence, they give birth to various problems at home. Therefore, it becomes very important to treat these insects effectively. The best way to repel them from entering your home is by using the natural mosquito repellents. This article will guide you regarding various ways to make natural mosquito repellants at home.
You don’t need to buy the mosquito traps and mosquito repellents from the market. You can easily make the natural mosquito repellents at home.
Signs of Mosquito Infestation:
The most common sign of mosquitoes is buzzing sound of female mosquitoes and their bites. Various people have different reactions to mosquito bites like intense irritation, mild inflammation, and swelling.
Difference between Male and Female Mosquito:
The basic differences between male and female mosquitoes are as follows:
- Male mosquito does not take blood meals while female mosquitoes rely on it. However, there are few species of female mosquitoes that don’t take blood meals and rely on plant sources.
- The mosquito’s proboscis that extends out from the mouth is bushy in male mosquitoes while it is slightly smoother in female mosquitoes.
- Male mosquito live a shorter life than female mosquitoes.
- Male mosquitoes are smaller in size as compared to the female mosquitoes of the same species.
Few Ways to Make Natural Mosquito Repellents at Home:
- Few Ways to Make Natural Mosquito Repellents at Home:
- 1.) Lemon Eucalyptus Oil to Make Natural Mosquito Repellent
- 2.) Lavender Oil to Make Natural Mosquito Repellent
- 3.) Cinnamon Oil to Make Natural Mosquito Repellent
- 4.) Use Thyme Oil to Make Natural Mosquito Repellent
- 5.) Green Catnip Oil to Make Natural Mosquito Repellent
- 6.) Oil of Citronella to Make Natural Mosquito Repellent
- Few Other Natural Mosquito Repellents:
- Other Alternative Ways to Repel Mosquitoes:
- How to Choose a Right Mosquito Repellent?
- Few Preventive Measure:
Here are few ways that you may follow to make natural mosquito repellents at home.
1.) Lemon Eucalyptus Oil to Make Natural Mosquito Repellent
- It was first used in the 1940s, till then it is considered to be one of the most well-known natural mosquito repellents.
- It is scientifically proven and shown in the research that 32% of lemon eucalyptus oil can give more than 95% of protection against insects like mosquitoes for about three hours. So, to prepare this natural mosquito repellent, follow the steps given below.
- Prepare a mixture by adding 10 parts of sunflower oil in one part of lemon eucalyptus. You may even use the witch hazel in place of sunflower oil as well.
Note: Don’t use this mixture on the children under the age of three years.
2.) Lavender Oil to Make Natural Mosquito Repellent
- Lavender oil can repel the mosquitoes easily. You may even crush the lavender flower to produce a fragrance that can repel the mosquitoes.
- You may even grow these lavender flowers in your garden to repel mosquitoes from entering your home.
- You can extract the oil by crushing the flowers. Apply this oil on the bite sensitive areas of your body like arms and ankles.
- The other alternate method is to drop the lavender oil on a soft and clean cloth and rub it on your skin. You can also buy the lavender oil from the market. This oil can even help you to avoid mosquito bites and provide a soothing effect on your skin.
3.) Cinnamon Oil to Make Natural Mosquito Repellent
- This oil can do wonders. It works simply great as a natural mosquito repellent. Cinnamon oil can even kill the mosquito eggs. It is an amazing natural repellent for the adult mosquitoes especially the Asian tiger mosquito.
- But, remember the concentrated dose of cinnamon oil can be irritating to the skin. So, be cautious before using it.
- It is a better option to prepare a diluted 1 percent of the solution. For this just mix one-fourth teaspoons of oil (approx 24 drops) in 4 ounces of water. Mix it well and spray it on different parts of your home where mosquitoes occur more frequently. You can also spray it on the skin, cloth and on the upholstery plant.
4.) Use Thyme Oil to Make Natural Mosquito Repellent
- It is one of the best natural repellents for the malarial mosquitoes. It provides great protection from such mosquitoes. To prepare this natural mosquito repellent at home, follow these steps:
- Combine four drops of thyme oil in a spoon of base oil like olive oil or jojoba oil. It is the home remedy to prepare brew.
- To prepare a spray, just take 5 ounces of water and mix five drops of thyme oil in it.
5.) Green Catnip Oil to Make Natural Mosquito Repellent
- It is one of the best natural mosquito repellents that can ward off mosquitoes from our home. Green catnip oil is the member of the mint family that can repel the mosquitoes like anything.
- It is basically a white and pink color of flower that can grow up to 18 inches in length. Even the oil plants can repel the mosquitoes up to 3-4 hours. So, just use green catnip oil to repel the mosquitoes.
6.) Oil of Citronella to Make Natural Mosquito Repellent
Every mosquito repellents contain 10% citronella to offer some protection from the pesky mosquitoes. So, start using it to repel mosquitoes.
Few Other Natural Mosquito Repellents:
- Celery Extract
- Neem Oil: It can repel mosquitoes like anything.
- Clove Oil
- Garlic: Start eating a lot of garlic, mosquitoes can’t handle it at all.
- Lotus: Lotus can kill the mosquito larvae and can repel them like anything.
- Black Pepper: This spice is not only used to prepare food. It can do wonders as it is one of the best natural mosquito repellents.
Other Alternative Ways to Repel Mosquitoes:
- Try to maintain a hygienic environment to repel mosquitoes.
- Also, try to eliminate the standing water as it can cause the mosquito infestation. For this don,t keep the open buckets, try to cover them with lids and cover.
- Always use the trash with a lid.
- If you feel that you are surrounded by a lot of mosquitoes then cover up your body. Try to wear clothes with full sleeves.
How to Choose a Right Mosquito Repellent?
Before deciding which type of mosquito repellent you must use, just consider these following points:
- How long you remain outside your home
- How often you face the problem of mosquitoes infestation
- What are the risk percentage of mosquito-transmitted diseases in the place where you live.
Few Preventive Measure:
- Don’t use the products that contain DEET and sunscreen. It can be harmful to0 the skin. Try to go natural and use the natural products.
- Check whether the oil you use is suiting your skin or not. Check the sensitivity of your skin, if you are applying it for the first time.
- Don’t apply the natural mosquito repellents on the hands of children. They can swallow it and it can be harmful to their health.
- Never try to apply the repellent on the irritated skin, cuts and wounds. It can create huge discomfort and irritation.
Ways to Prevent Mosquito:
Here are few ways that you may follow to prevent mosquitoes from entering your premises. They may also help you to get rid of mosquitoes fast.
- Use insecticides in the places where these mosquitoes usually hide.
- Simply apply insect growth regulators to prevent the development of mosquitoes in water.
- You may also use a microbial insecticide that helps in causing mosquito mortality in their water environment.
Now, there is no need to worry much as there are various mosquito repellent products and essential oils used to repel mosquitoes effectively. Don’t worry about these pesky mosquitoes. They are no more a big problem for you. Treat these annoying insects easily by using different mosquito repellents. Also, keep the preventive measures in your mind before using these natural mosquito repellents. So, enjoy the harmony and live a healthy life by using the natural mosquito repellents.