Bed bug is the most annoying pests that can be easily found in the apartments. It is not necessary that you can find the bed bugs in unsanitary conditions only while they can be seen in the clean and hygienic environment as well. It is not easy to control the bedbug infestation, but it is very important to do that because they may cause a lot of problems if not treated properly. You may experience the restless nights due to the bedbug bites. They are generally very pesky little pests that usually feed on human blood. They mostly bite on common areas of our body like face, arms, neck, and hands. Their bites are similar to the bites of other insects and it occurs in the clusters of 3-5 bites. Though, few people cannot recognize easily that they are bitten but few ones can see the symptoms like itchy bumps, and red rashes. If you are bitten by the bed bugs then don’t worry because there is different bed bug bites treatment at home.
What are Bed Bugs?
Bed bugs are small, oval shaped, and flat insects. These insects don’t have wings and they rely on humans to carry them to far off places. They have a reddish brown color and their sizes vary from 1-7 millimeters. Their feeding material is human blood. They bite when someone is asleep.
Bed Bug Bite Appearance:
Well, if you are bitten by bed bug, then you may see the following signs of bed bug bites.
- You will notice red, dark red center and swollen area.
- You will notice bites in a line or you are bitten in a small area all together.
- You may also notice blisters, hives at the site of bite.
Where Bed Bugs are Found?
Bed bugs can be found at any place. But the most common places where you may find them are as follows:
- Business offices
- Military barracks
- Homeless shelters
- College dorms
- Apartment complexes
Bed Bug Bites Treatment at Home:
The very first step for the bed bug bites treatment at home is to wash the affected area with mild antiseptic soap. Then, rinse it off with water. And the next step is to apply various remedies to treat the bed bug bites effectively. Well, here are few natural treatments that you may use at your home to treat bed bug bites.
1.) Apply Ice to Treat Bed Bug Bites
Ice helps in providing relief from itching sensation caused due to the bed bug bites. It can even reduce and calms down the swelling. To apply this bed bug bites treatment at home, follow these steps:
- Wrap little amount of ice cubes in thin cloth or towel.
- Place it on the bitten area.
- Remove the cloth after 10-15 minutes.
- Repeat this remedy whenever you need it.
2.) Apply Lemon Juice to Get Rid of Bed Bug Bites
It is a natural astringent that helps in drying out the rashes caused due to the bed bug bites. It contains the antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties that help in reducing the swelling and redness while preventing the infection. To prepare this bed bug bites treatment at home, follow these steps:
- Take a lemon juice and dip a cotton ball in it.
- Now, dab the cotton ball on the bed bug bite.
- Apply it till it doesn’t get dry.
- Rinse the affected area with water.
- Apply this remedy few times in a day.
Note: Don’t go out in the sun after applying this remedy as the lemon juice can make your skin vulnerable to sunburn.
3.) Baking Soda for Bed Bug Bites Treatment
It is also known as sodium bicarbonate that helps in neutralizing the acidic chemicals causing itching from the bed bug bites. It is also an anti-inflammatory agent that helps in reducing the inflammation. To prepare this bed bug bites treatment at home, follow these steps:
- Take 3 teaspoons of water and add one teaspoon of baking soda in it.
- Mix it well and prepare a mixture.
- Apply this mixture on the infected area.
- Leave it for 10 minutes after application.
- Rinse it off by using water.
- If you still feel the discomfort then apply it again after 30-45 minutes.
4.) Witch Hazel to Heal Bed Bug Bites
It is a liquid astringent that you can easily buy from the drug store. Basically, it is used as a cleanser that helps in reducing the itching sensation caused due to the bed bug bites as it contains tannins that include the mild anesthetic effect in it. To prepare this bed bug bites treatment at home, follow these steps:
- Take witch hazel in a bowl and soak a cotton ball in it.
- No, place the cotton ball on the infected area of your body.
- After 10 minutes, remove the cotton ball.
- Apply this remedy as per your need.
5.) Aloe Vera Gel to Treat Bed Bug Bites
It gives the soothing effect on the infected area. The active compounds and amino acid present inside the aloe vera gel help in easing the burning sensation and itching caused due to the bed bug bites. It also helps in the healing process by keeping the skin moisturized. To prepare this bed bug bites treatment at home, follow these steps:
- Take an aloe vera leave and take out the gel from it.
- Apply the gel directly on the infected area.
- Apply this remedy few times in a day to treat the bed bug bites effectively.
6.) Use Apple Cider Vinegar for Bed Bug Bites
It contains the anti-inflammatory properties that help in fighting the inflammation. It also has acetic acid in it that helps in relieving the itching caused due to the bed bug bites. If you don’t have apple cider vinegar then you may also go for white vinegar. To prepare this bed bug bites treatment, follow these steps:
- Apply unfiltered and raw apple cider vinegar on the infected area.
- Leave it for few minutes until it gets dry.
- Rinse off the infected area with water.
- If you still feel discomfort then reapply this remedy after few hours.
7.) Toothpaste to Cure Bed Bug Bites
The toothpaste helps in neutralizing the acid causing the itching sensation as it contains the base in it. It contains the cooling menthol that provides relief from itching and burning sensation. Use white toothpaste instead of gel toothpaste for treating the bed bug bites. To prepare this bed bug bites treatment at home, follow these steps:
- Apply a little amount of toothpaste on the infected area.
- Leave it for few minutes till it gets dry.
- Rinse it off with water.
- Apply this remedy whenever you feel the burning sensation on the bed bug bites.
8.) Oatmeal to Get Rid of Bed Bug Bites
Oatmeal contains the anti-inflammatory and soothing properties that make it one of the most effective remedies to treat the bed bug bites effectively. It can reduce the burning sensation and the itching sensation easily. To prepare this bed bug bites treatment at home, follow these steps:
- Take little amount of water and mix few teaspoons of oatmeal in it. Mix them well together and prepare a paste. Apply this paste on the infected area and leave it for 15 minutes. Apply this remedy regularly for a couple of days to cure the bed bug bites.
- You can also take a detox bath by mixing the half cup of oatmeal in warm water. You may even add peppermint essential oil in your bathtub with oatmeal. Soak it for at least 15 minutes.
9.) Cucumber for Bed Bug Bites
Cucumber can be used to get rid of itching and burning sensation. It can even treat the swelling as it contains the vitamin C mineral and caffeic acid that contains the anti-inflammatory properties. To apply this bed bug bites treatment at home, follow these steps:
- Just place a cucumber slice on the infected area and leave it for 10-15 minutes. To experience the more soothing effect use cool pieces of cucumber by putting it in the refrigerator.
- Apply this remedy whenever you needed it.
10.) Moist Tea Bags to Treat Bed Bug Bites
It contains the tannin as well as the astringent and mild anesthetic qualities. It can easily provide relief in itching and swelling caused due to the bed bug bites. To prepare this bed bug bites treatment at home, follow these steps:
- Put a moist tea bag in a refrigerator for at least 30 minutes and cool it down.
- Place it on the infected area for about 10 minutes.
- Repeat this remedy whenever needed.
So, use the above remedies to cure bed bug bites. Follow them sincerely to prevent bed bugs from biting you.