After writing how to get rid of baby hiccups?, home remedies for diaper rashes, and how to get rid of cradle cap?, we are now writing how to get rid of baby acne fast on face or body? The day a child is born, a mother is also born. Whether it is about the hurdles of the life or anything else, a mother always wants to protect the child and keep him safe. But baby acne is something that can happen any time. Baby acne, also known as Milia, are small red or white bumps, visible on newborn baby’s face. Mommies, Relax! This is very common among infants and your baby is not the only one who is prone to acne. Almost, 20% of the infants are affected with this acne worldwide. This acne dissolves on its own and does not require any treatment. However, you can try some of the home remedies to treat the itchiness and redness. In this article, we will talk about the different safe and natural ways to get rid of baby acne.
Different Ways to Get Rid of Baby Acne:
1.) Maintain a Good Hygiene to Get Rid of Baby Acne
First and best way to get rid of baby acne is proper hygiene. This is because bacteria and viruses present in the air can infect your baby’s sensitive skin, resulting in acne and other skin infections. This is why it is important to clean and sanitize your baby’s clothes regularly and also maintain a good hygienic environment around the baby and all over the place to get rid of baby acne.
- Make sure you clean the baby’s face with a soft washcloth or baby wipes after feeding. Also, regularly wash his diaper area. Do not forget to handle your baby with clean hands.
- Apart from the baby, their sleeping area should also be cleaned and sanitized. Wash your baby’s clothes with mild detergent. Do not let the baby, touch the affected area.
2.) Breastfeeding Will Help
Breastfeeding for first 6 months is considered as a boon for a newborn. It builds the immune system of the baby and since babies cannot eat anything, breast milk is an ideal food. Breast milk contains Lauric acid that has anti-bacterial properties. Also, it has omega-3 fatty acids and all the essential nutrients that not only nourishes the baby’s body but also exfoliate newborns skin gently. Thus, making it as an effective remedy to get rid of baby acne.
- Apart from feeding breast milk, you can also dab some milk over the baby’s acne prone skin. First, clean the affected area with baby soap and lukewarm water. Then pat dry with a soft washcloth or baby’s towel.
- Dab the milk on the babies face with the cotton pad. Let it dry and then wipe it off. Do this regularly to get rid of baby acne.
3.) Take The Help From Coconut Oil
Coconut oil does not contain any chemical, therefore, it is a safe option for babies. Most of the mothers use coconut oil as a massage oil for their babies since it strengthens the bones. It has antimicrobial properties that help to get rid of baby acne and diaper rashes as well. Also, it is used for various other skin diseases. Coconut oil is easily absorbed into your skin, thus providing maximum benefits. Always use a virgin coconut oil for your skin ailments. Read uses of coconut oil.
- Give your baby a bath and then pat them dry. Then gently massage a little coconut oil over the affected area.
- Do this twice daily until the kissing bumps are gone. This will help to get rid of baby acne, safely and effectively.
4.) Baby Powder For Proper Hygiene
Baby powder also comes handy for treating baby acne and diaper rashes. It dries the skin without clogging the pores. Because of this quality, you can also use baby powder in the areas, which are generally wet and moist. However, make sure that it should not come in contact with your baby’s eyes and mouth.
- Clean the affected area. Pat dry using a clean and soft towel. Sprinkle baby powder on the area. Gently rub the powder with your fingertips.
- Do this regularly after the baby bath. This will help to get rid of baby acne fast, effectively and permanently.
5.) Use The Mild Baby Soap
You can also use the mild baby soaps that are specially made for babies to get rid of baby acne. These soaps are mild and best for your baby’s soft and sensitive skin. Other soaps contain chemicals, which are not good for the baby. So, make sure you use baby soaps only. There are different types of the baby soaps available in the market. Choose the best and ones, which are safe.
- Give your baby a bath with little warm water and mild baby soap. Wash the affected area nicely. Gently rub soap over the area. Rinse it off with warm water and pat it dry with a clean and soft washcloth.
- Washing babies face once a day with the soap will be sufficient. Do not touch the affected area. If possible, use herbal soaps with mild ingredients.
6.) Use Honey and Lemon Juice
Both Honey and lemon are safe ingredients for babies. They have natural anti-inflammatory and anti-bacterial properties that help to get rid of baby acne. However, be cautious while its application and avoid contact with eyes.
- In a bowl mix 4-5 drops of lemon juice and 1 tsp of honey. Dip a cotton ball into this mixture. Apply it on the infected skin of the baby.
- Leave it on for 7-15 minutes. Then rinse it off with lukewarm water. Make sure the mixture does not comes in contact with the baby’s eyes.
7.) Make Use of Cornstarch
Cornstarch helps to control the excessive oil production, which is the main reason of acne. It is said to be a prime cause of baby acne. This oil-controlling quality makes it as one of the effective home remedies to get rid of baby acne.
- In a bowl mix some cornstarch and water. Clean the affected skin of the baby. Apply a thin layer of this mixture on the baby’s skin.
- Leave it on for a few minutes and then rinse it off with warm water. Repeat the remedy for effective results. Make sure to avoid contact with this mixture with the baby’s eyes.
8.) Use The Oatmeal
Oatmeal will moisturize the sensitive skin of your baby without harming it. It is a good remedy for diaper rash, skin allergies, and acne. Apart from moisturizing the skin, the grainy consistency of oatmeal will help to get rid of the accumulated dead skin, which may result in nasty acne marks in future.
- Blend some oatmeal in a blender to get a powdered consistency. Add this powder to the baby’s bath water. Do this regularly for a couple of days. This will help to get rid of baby acne, fast and naturally.
Don’ts to Get Rid of the Baby Acne:
Do Not Use OTC: If the little bumps do not go way in the certain time period, then do not use over-the-counter medicines to treat the baby acne. These medicines contain chemicals that can damage the baby’s skin.
Do Not Scrub Babies Skin: Sometimes mothers use scrubs on their newborn’s skin to treat the little bumps. However, it is not a safe practice. The scrub is not made according to the babies sensitive skin. It is too harsh and can damage your baby’s soft skin. Moreover, the chemicals present may harm baby’s skin and also the overall health.
Do Not Kiss Your New Born: Kissing is not the only way to shower love to your new one. Doing it once or twice is okay but repeating this regularly can eventually harm the baby’s skin. This is because our saliva may contain bacteria which may not affect us but, can harm the baby’s health. So, make sure you don’t kiss your baby and touch the affected area.
Do Not Eat Allergic Foods: Since you have to breastfeed your baby therefore, avoid the consumption of spicy and oily foods. The food you eat directly affects your baby. So, eat light food and drink lots of water. Spicy and oily foods are a big no for new moms.
Do Not Use Oily Lotions: Do not apply oily lotions on baby’s skin. These lotions are too greasy for your baby’s skin and may aggravate the condition by clogging the pores. The acne may seem dry but, avoid using oily lotions. Instead, you can apply baby cream or baby body oil or even coconut oil or olive oil.
P.S – If the condition gets severe, consult your pediatrician.
Other Useful Tips to Prevent Baby Acne:
- Wash the skin of your baby with a mild non-drying soap. There are some baby cleansers that trigger skin problems such as baby acne and rashes.
- Moisture in another reason due to which baby acne is caused especially on the chin area. After feeding your baby, make sure there is no moist material on the skin of the baby.
- Use baby products that are free from chemicals. There are some baby products that smell amazing but the chemicals in it cause skin problems.
- Drugs and medicines can also cause baby acne. It is better you tell your doctor about that.
- Don’t apply acne creams on the skin of the baby. They may even worsen the condition. Acne creams are only for teens and adults.
- Avoid taking your baby to places where there is heat. Expose the skin of your baby to fresh air.
- If you are breastfeeding then make sure you take a lot of fresh fruit juices so that the baby gets all the essential vitamins and nutrients.
- Apply baby powder to prevent sweating. Sweating is another cause of skin problems such as baby acne.
- Keep your baby away from materials that can cause scratches on the skin. Some clothing materials also cause skin scratches.