In this article we will discuss home remedies to get rid of clogged pores. There are many tiny pores (or hole) in our skin. Through this tiny pores our hair grow. Basically, pores are simply the opening above the skin of hair follicles. These pores produce an oil called sebum which contains fats, proteins, cholesterol and salts. Sebum helps to carry the dead cells found in the follicle to the skin surface. And, when these tiny pores gets blocked due to dust, sweats, oil, the sebum is unable to move out and causes acne on the facial skin. This blockage is known as clogged pores. People with oily skin are more prone to clogged pores as compared to the other skin types. People having dry skin are also more prone to suffer clogged pores due to the accumulation of dead cells. Clogged pores cause blackheads, whiteheads, acne. About 40 to 50% people in America suffers from acne problems. All acne develops due to clogged pores on the skin surface. Thus, you require to maintain proper skin hygiene to get rid of clogged pores. Below we have mentioned some home remedies to get rid of clogged pores. But before moving on to remedies, let us know about the types, causes, and symptoms of clogged pores.
Types of Clogged Pores
Whiteheads are the most underestimated form of clogged pores as people are not able to notice whiteheads easily. These are smaller and less prominent to get noticed.
Blackheads are one stride further of whiteheads. Causes of both are same, but, blackheads are not covered under a layer of skin as whiteheads. When the clogged pore gets oxidized, it changes color from white to black. Blackheads are visible and more prominent than whiteheads.
3.) Papules and Pustules
When the follicle part of whiteheads or blackhead ruptures, white blood cells (WBC) rush out for healing and makes the pore inflamed. This first stage of inflamed skin is called papules. And when WBC heals the skin surface and become visible as a spot full or pus and fluid, it is called pustules.
4.) Nodules or Cysts
When the bacteria break the follicle wall, a fluid leaks into the skin to protect itself. These breakage causes an inflammation. When the inflammation gets hard and makes a red bump in the surface, its called nodule.
Causes of Clogged Pores
- Oily skin
- Deposition of dirt in the pores.
- Dry skin
- Hormonal change
Symptoms of Clogged Pores
- Large pores on the skin.
- Post healing red marks.
- Excessive oily skin
- Frequent acne formation
- Tiny bumps on the skin.
- Skin irritation
- Acne Marks
Home Remedies to Get Rid of Clogged Pores:
1.) Sugar to Get Rid of Clogged Pores on Face
Sugar is a natural exfoliating agent. It is an effective home remedy to get rid of clogged pores. It helps in breaking up the scar tissue and unclogging the skin pores. It also helps in removing dirt and oil from the skin due to its fine exfoliating properties. Here is the method to use it.
- Crush 5 tsp of sugar into powdery form.
- Mix lemon juice and adequate amount of water to make a thick paste.
- Apply this paste on the clogged pores.
- Scrub gently for a few minutes to exfoliate.
- Wash it off with water.
- Apply a mild moisturizer.
- Apply this 2 times in a week to unclog the pores.
2.) Honey to Get Rid of Clogged Pores on Nose
Honey is also very effective home remedy for getting rid of clogged pores. Honey reduce excess oil and tightens the skin pores. It also helps in maintaining hydration. It has excellent antibacterial, antimicrobial and antioxidants properties which are very essential for a clean and clear skin.
- Apply some raw honey directly on the clogged pores.
- Massage it gently on the skin.
- Leave it for a few minutes.
- Rinse it off with lukewarm water. Pat it dry.
- Do this Thrice a week.
3.) Steam to Treat Clogged Pores Fast
Steam is also one of the most effective remedies to get rid of blocked pores. This is because steam helps in opening the clogged pores quite effectively. It easily cleanses the impurities trapped inside. Here is the method to use this remedy.
- Take some water in a vessel.
- Boil it for some time.
- Remove it from heat as it starts producing steam
- Place the vessel on a table.
- Bring your head above it. Keep a fair distance.
- Cover your head and vessel with a towel completely.
- Allow steam to get absorbed by your skin for as long as you can.
- Afterwards, pat dry your face.
- Apply a mild moisturizer.
- Take steaming twice a week to open your clogged pores fast.
4.) Lemon to Get Rid of Blocked Pores Naturally
Another substance which is very effective to get rid of clogged pores is Lemon. Lemon is known for its acidic properties. It acts as an ideal exfoliating agent. It helps get rid of dead skin and dirt trapped inside the clogged pores.
- Make a scrub by adding 1 tbsp of salt in 1 tbsp of lemon juice.
- Apply this mixture on the clogged pores.
- Gently massage and scrub for 5-10 minutes.
- Leave it for further 5-10 minutes
- Later, wash it off with lukewarm water.
- Do this 2-3 times in a week.
- Squeeze some fresh lemon juice and apply it on the affected area.
- Rub it gently for several minutes.
- Wash it off with warm water and pat dry it.
- Apply a moisturizer to prevent drying.
- Do this regularly to treat blocked pores fast.
5.) Parsley to Get Rid of Blocked Pores Fast and Naturally
Parsley is another example of an effective skin healing remedy. Parsley helps to reduce the excess sebum formation. Therefore, Parsley is a gift for people with oily skin as oily skin are more prone to clogged pores. Parsley helps in keeping the pores clean because of its fine astringent properties. It detoxifies the skin and prevents it from clogging.
- Wash parsley properly.
- Soak them in some hot water.
- Leave it to cool down completely.
- Dip a clean piece of cloth in this water.
- Apply this wet cloth on your face, covering it completely.
- Repeat this process once daily to unclog pores naturally and fast.
6.) Baking Soda to Get Rid of Clogged Pores Naturally
Baking soda acts as a very useful cleanser for the skin, as it helps very efficiently in unclogging pores. Being a perfect exfoliating agent, baking soda easily removes dead cells and impurities from the skin pores. It also helps in maintaining the pH balance of the skin. Its application gives a soft and smooth skin.
- Make a paste by mixing a sufficient amount of baking soda and water.
- Massage in circulatory motion for a few minutes.
- Leave it for a few minutes.
- Later, wash it off with warm water and pat dry.
- Apply moisturizer.
- Repeat it once every week.
7.) Oatmeal to Unclog Pores on the Face
Oatmeal is a proven exfoliating ingredient. It helps effectively in removing dead cells to get rid of Clogged pores. Oatmeal helps to cleanse skin pores and absorb excess oil present in the skin. Here is the procedure to use it.
- Take 1/2 cup of oatmeal.
- Add 1 tsp of olive oil. Mix it well.
- Apply this mixture well on clogged pores.
- Leave it For 15-20 minutes.
- Later, wash it off with cold water properly.
- Twice a week application for a month can help to get rid of clogged pores faster.
8.) Papaya to Treat Clogged Pores on the Face
Papaya contains an enzyme known as papain. Papain is considered to have an effective cleansing properties. It is very helpful in unclogging pores. It also helps in making the skin soft and smooth. Here is the method to use it.
- Extract raw papaya juice in a vessel.
- Dip cotton ball in it.
- Dab with cotton ball on affected area.
- Leave it for 5-10 minutes.
- After 10 minutes, wash it off with lukewarm water
- Do this Twice a week.
- Take a raw papaya and cut a sufficient part.
- Gently rub it on clogged pores for 5-10 minutes.
- Later on, wash it off with lukewarm water to remove impurities , dead cells, dirt and oil.
- Do this twice a week.
9.) Jojoba Oil to Get Rid of Clogged Pores on the Nose and Face
Jojoba oil is like a sebum present under your skin. This oil is composed of same ingredients as sebum (Fatty acids, wax esters). Therefore, it resembles human sebum closely. It also helps in reducing sebum production, thus preventing clogged pores. Although this process takes time, but it last for long.
- Just take a few drops of jojoba oil in your palm.
- Apply this oil with your clean fingertips on the clogged pores.
- Massage gently in circular motion.
- Wash it off after a few minutes.
- Pat dry the skin.
- Repeat once in a day.
10.) Facial Brush as a Remedy for Clogged Pores
Brushing may sound little harsh, but it is an effective way to get rid of clogged pores. It is a very easy method to remove dead skin cells. But, it should be done gently and with soft bristles. Hard bristles brushes is a complete no as it might damage the skin and may worsen the condition.
- Wash your face gently with water.
- Pat dry your face.
- Now, gently start rubbing the skin in circular motion.
- Be a gentle as you can.
- Rub it on the dry areas more.
- Rub it evenly everywhere on face for a few minutes.
- Wash off the face again with cold water for tightening the skin.
- Moisturize the skin well.
- Do this once a week to get rid of clogged pores.