This article will help you to know the ways to get rid of cradle cap. Cradle cap is a skin disease that is mostly common among the infants. Sometimes younger kids and adults also suffer from the cradle cap. The cradle cap is basically a type of skin disease that appears on the scalp of the head. In scientific terms, it is known as “saborrhoeic dermatitis”. It is quite common among the new-born infants. It looks like dandruff that can be noticed on the areas like the scalp, neck, face, ears and armpits. It can also look like the scaly patches on the skin with a thin crust like portions that may be greasy sometimes. It appears in two colors. One is in yellow and the other in white. Sometimes it also turns reddish that is similar to a look of rashes. It is caused due to excessive produce of oil glands (sebaceous).
Once the greasy or scaly parts dry up, it turns into patches that come off easily. So, when you notice something unusual on your baby’s scalp, get to know if it is cradle cap. When you are confirmed that it is cradle cap do not panic with what next! It is not a serious illness or disease. You will need to take care of your baby to get rid of the cradle cap with the right amount of treatment.
The treatment should be given immediately and if it goes off within a limited time period, then you just need to relax. And it stays for a longer period, it means you need to consult a doctor for some strong dosage of medicines to be provided to your infant. Here, you will get to read some of the best home remedies to get rid of cradle cap. It will work fast and naturally to treat the skin disease as there are various cradle cap treatment.
Causes of Cradle Cap:
- There has been no particular cause provided for this cradle cap skin disease. There are some factors that have taken into consideration for its possible causes.
- It is said that the microbes or the oil generation (sebum production) or the genetic factors might play a role behind the cause of cradle cap.
- Along with there are other possible chances. When there are leftover hormones in the body of the infant from the time of its mothers pregnancy can lead to the appearance of cradle cap on the scalp of the baby.
- Also some type of allergic reaction (rhinitis, eczema or asthma) on the infant may lead to creation of patchy scalp that produces excess sebum.
Home Remedies to Get Rid Of Cradle Cap:
- Home Remedies to Get Rid Of Cradle Cap:
- 1.) Use Vaseline or Petroleum Jelly to Get Rid of Cradle Cap
- 2.) Apply Coconut Oil to Get Rid of Cradle Cap
- 3.) Apply Olive Oil to Get Rid of Cradle Cap
- 4.) Use Baby Shampoo to Get Rid of Cradle Cap
- 5.) Apply Tea Tree Oil to Get Rid of Cradle Cap
- 6.) Apple Cider Vinegar to Get Rid of cradle Cap
- 7.) Use Baking Soda to Get Rid of Cradle Cap
- 8.) Use Shea Butter to Get Rid of Cradle Cap
- 9.) Use Mineral Oil to Get Rid of Cradle Cap
- 10.) Use Fine Tooth Comb to Get Rid of Cradle Cap
- 11.) Almond Oil to Get Rid of Cradle Cap
- 12.) Breast Milk to Remove Cradle Cap
- 13.) Calendula to Get Rid of Cradle Cap
- 14.) Viola to Clear Out Cradle Cap
- 15.) Homemade Scalp Oil to Get Rid of Cradle Cap
- 16.) Medicated Anti-dandruff Shampoo to Treat Cradle Cap
- 17.) Hydrocortisone Cream to Get Rid of Cradle Cap
- 18.) Burdock for the Treatment of Cradle Cap
1.) Use Vaseline or Petroleum Jelly to Get Rid of Cradle Cap
The Vaseline is quite effective in curing cradle cap from your infant. The petroleum jelly’s properties work as an oily grease on your baby’s scalp. It’s the easiest way to treat your infant from cradle cap. You just need to apply the Vaseline of the infected area of the skin. Then do not remove it off and let it sit for the overnight. This will help in making the hard scaly patches to turn soft with its overnight effect. The next morning clean it with a soft tooth comb to not make your infant feel uncomfortable. Then wash it warm water.
2.) Apply Coconut Oil to Get Rid of Cradle Cap
Coconut oil is one of the soothing agents that can be applied to your infants scalp. It is one of the best natural remedies that work its charm in a very mild way. You will need to apply coconut oil over the infected area of the skin on your infant. Give a gentle massage after applying it that will even make your baby feel good. And to let the coconut oil absorb in the skin, keep it like that for few hours. This will soften the yellow or white patches.
3.) Apply Olive Oil to Get Rid of Cradle Cap
Many parents are comfortable to use olive oil for their infants. This is because olive oil is popular to have known to heal cradle cap. Therefore, you can use olive oil on your baby’s scalp. It will help in removing the scales and flakes that formed into crust like shapes on your baby’s head. After applying olive oil leave the skin unattended to get absorbed. Few hours later you will be able to remove the scales with a soft tooth comb.
4.) Use Baby Shampoo to Get Rid of Cradle Cap
The baby shampoo is also helpful in removing the crust like scales. It will loosen up and soften the scales on your baby’s head. You will need to use warm water to soak your baby’s head. After that, apply some amount of baby shampoo to give gentle wash. And finish it with again warm water to clean up the baby shampoo from its head. Just after that do not wipe his/her head and use a soft tooth comb to clean the scales.
5.) Apply Tea Tree Oil to Get Rid of Cradle Cap
Tea tree oil is a known home remedy for its wonders that do to your skin. So, it can also be used for your baby to cure his/her skin disease cradle cap. But remember the fact the tea tree oil very toxic in nature and is a strong element to be applied directly on your baby’s head. Therefore, try to mix tea tree oil with almond oil or olive oil in the ratio of 1:10. Mix both the oil well to make a diluted solution. Now apply it on baby’s scalp gently. Leave it for around Fifteen minutes to let the skin absorb the oil. Later use a soft tooth comb to remove the scaling in a gentle process.
6.) Apple Cider Vinegar to Get Rid of cradle Cap
Apple cider vinegar is also among one of the best home remedies related to skin and health related issues. Apple cider vinegar is acidic in nature. Thereby, you will need to dilute it with water in the ratio of 1:2. Then, apply the diluted solution on your baby’s scalp and rub it gently for few minutes. After ten to fifteen minutes you can wash your baby’s head with warm water and a mild shampoo. And you use a wipe your baby’s head try to rub it gently as the scales will come off. Apple cider vinegar will reduce the infection and prevent from further erupting again in future.
7.) Use Baking Soda to Get Rid of Cradle Cap
If you are out of stock with the given remedies, then there is nothing to worry. Baking soda will be definitely available in your kitchen. So, just keep aside your worries and move on to make a solution of baking soda. In case of baking soda also you will need to make a diluted solution as it’s a powdery substance in nature. For that add one tablespoon of baking soda with one and half tablespoon of water. Mix it well to make a thin layer of paste. Now try to apply that thin paste on the infested area of the skin. And let it get dry for not more than ten minutes for maximum. Else it will be difficult to remove the scales as it might cause pain to the baby while removing. Therefore, remove the flakes with a soft comb. And wash it with warm water later on.
8.) Use Shea Butter to Get Rid of Cradle Cap
Shea butter is one of the natural remedy that can be used for treating cradle cap. Shea butter is such ingredient that gets easily absorbed in the skin of the baby. It will not even leave any traces of greasy effect on the skin. Along with, shea butte will help to prevent the further development of the cradle cap in near future. So, try to apply some shea butter on your baby’s head and leave it get absorbed for fifteen to twenty minutes. Later, use a fine tooth comb to clean the dandruff. And lastly, wipe your baby’s head with a towel.
9.) Use Mineral Oil to Get Rid of Cradle Cap
Mineral oil is also among one of the remedies to treat cradle cap. You can directly apply mineral oil on your baby’s head. Thereby after applying the mineral oil on your baby’s scalp give a gentle massage. And let it sit for fifteen minutes to let the absorbed into the skin. And later on wash it with warm water. While washing also, give a gentle rub on the scalp in clockwise direction. The giving a gentle scrub the dandruff like flakes will come off naturally. After washing use a towel to wipe it properly.
10.) Use Fine Tooth Comb to Get Rid of Cradle Cap
This is an additional advice for you to use a fine or soft tooth comb brush. It has already been mentioned in all of the points to use the soft tooth comb. The soft tooth comb is a way to prevent your baby from the pain that he/she might feel while peeling off the scales from its scalp. If you do not use a fine tooth comb, it might further aggravate the skin problem by leading to more of red rashes on top of the cradle cap. Thus, try to take all types of precautionary measures to treat your infant from cradle cap.
11.) Almond Oil to Get Rid of Cradle Cap
This is one of the effective oils for the treatment of cradle cap. Since almond oil has a light texture it easily penetrates deep into the skin. Almond oil makes the scales soft so that they come out easily. Follow the method given below and bid a good bye to cradle cap.
- Mix almond oil in tea tree oil. The ratio should be kept 10:1
- After mixing the oil well, massage it gently on the scalp.
- Let the oil stay on the head for the next 15 to 20 minutes.
- Use a soft bristle brush to remove the flakes.
- Wash your baby’s hair with a mild shampoo.
- Repeat this treatment on every alternate day until you get satisfactory results.
12.) Breast Milk to Remove Cradle Cap
This is one of the best and safest methods to remove flakes from your baby’s head. The medicinal properties in breast milk help to combat cradle cap. Follow the method given below to get clear results.
- Take some breast milk in a bowl.
- Gently, massage your baby’s scalp with this breast milk.
- Leave it for one night so that the crusty flakes become soft.
- In the morning, use a soft bristle brush to remove the flakes.
- Wash the hair with warm water and a mild shampoo.
- Repeat this process on a regular basis until the scalp gets completely cleared.
13.) Calendula to Get Rid of Cradle Cap
This is one of the excellent remedies to get rid of cradle cap completely. The anti-inflammatory, anti-viral and antiseptic properties of calendula make it an effective remedy for the treatment of cradle cap. It soothes the irritated skin and minimizes inflammation. Calendula also promotes collagen production and increases the blood flow on the scalp. Follow the method given below to clear up your baby’s scalp.
- Put the petals of fresh or dried calendula in a jar.
- Now, pour some olive oil in this same jar.
- Keep the aside for the next 2 weeks.
- Strain the oil and store it in a bottle.
- Gently, massage this oil on your baby’s scalp and head.
- Comb the hair of your baby with a fine toothed comb so the dead skin cells and flakes are easily eliminated from the scalp.
- Wash your baby’s scalp with warm water.
- Repeat this process on a daily basis to clear out cradle cap completely.
14.) Viola to Clear Out Cradle Cap
This violet flowering plant antioxidants, insecticidal and anti-microbial properties which makes it an effective treatment for cradle cap. Viola contains salicylic acid which is a natural disinfectant and makes the hard skin, corns and warts soft. The anti-fungal and emollient properties of viola are its added benefits. The leaves of viola has vitamin C and A and its root is loaded with minerals thus making it a plant with healing properties. Follow the process given below and bid good bye to cradle cap.
- Take 3 to 5 drops of viola tricolor tincture.
- Give this tincture to your baby for about one week.
- Consult a medical herbalist about the dosage according to your baby’s age.
Note: It is better if you follow this remedy under medical supervision because many people are allergic to viola.
15.) Homemade Scalp Oil to Get Rid of Cradle Cap
This is one of the excellent methods to get rid of cradle cap. You will have to use olive oil as a base to prepare this homemade scalp oil. Another thing that you need is any other essential oil such as lavender oil, basil oil or rosemary oil which has soothing, anti-inflammatory and itch relieve properties that will help in the removal of cradle cap. Follow the process given below to get positive results.
- In two cups of olive oil, add 5 to 6 drops of any other essential oil.
- Store this prepared oil in a bottle.
- Massage this oil on your baby’s scalp for a couple of minutes.
- Next morning, wash your baby’s hair with a mild shampoo.
- With the help of a washcloth scrub your scalp gently to remove the thick crust completely.
- Repeat this oil application on a regular basis to treat cradle cap.
16.) Medicated Anti-dandruff Shampoo to Treat Cradle Cap
This is one of the excellent methods to treat cradle cap. The tar present in these shampoos removes the flakes and also prevents the skin from dryness. The sulphur and salicylic acid in these shampoos makes it an effective choice for cradle cap. All you need to do is wash your baby’s hair with a good medicated anti-dandruff shampoo. Wash the hair on a regular basis to remove the thick crusty flakes.
17.) Hydrocortisone Cream to Get Rid of Cradle Cap
This is one of the magical creams that helps in the treatment of cradle cap. Hydrocortisone cream not only helps to get rid of cradle cap but also helps in treating various other skin conditions such as eczema. Take pea sized hydrocortisone cream and apply it on the affected parts of the head. Apply it again during the night before sleeping. Keep a check on the results and try to notice the difference.
Note: This method is only recommended for adults. Do not apply this cream on the baby’s head because the steroids present in this cream can be dangerous for the baby.
18.) Burdock for the Treatment of Cradle Cap
This is one of the effective remedies for the treatment of cradle cap. The astringent properties in burdock constrict the glands and slow down the glandular secretion. Follow the process given below to get satisfactory results.
Method 1: Dried Burdock and Hot Water
- In one cup of hot water, add one tablespoon of dried burdock.
- Allow it to steep for the next 15 to 20 minutes.
- Wash your baby’s scalp thoroughly with this burdock water.
- Leave it on the hair like that and do not wash your hair with normal water.
- Follow this process on a regular basis to remove cradle cap completely.
Method 2: Fresh Burdock and Water
- Use a knife to remove the rough edge of a fresh burdock root.
- Now, chop this burdock root to make it two tablespoons.
- Add this chopped fresh burdock root in three cups of water.
- Bring this water to a boil and then lower the flame.
- Let it simmer for the next 30 minutes.
- Now, turn of the flame and let it steep for the next few minutes.
- Once it cools down completely, wash your baby’s scalp with this water.
- Don’t wash your hair with normal water afterwards.
- Repeat this treatment on a regular basis to remove the cradle cap completely.
Tips to Prevent Cradle Cap
- Make sure there is a humidifier at your home so that your skin does not become too dry.
- After giving your baby a bath, use a good moisturizer to prevent dryness and flakes.
- Don’t put extra pressure on your baby’s head while removing thick crusty flakes. Use a fine toothed comb.
- Take care of your baby’s diet so that the cradle cap is not caused because of food allergy.
- Do not use any sought of sharp tools to remove flakes or scales.
- Once you get rid of cradle cap, wash the baby’s hair with a mild shampoo and comb the wet hair to removes the remaining flakes and scales.
- Consult your doctor before using any medicated shampoo to prevent cradle cap.
- If you find that this infection is spreading, then seek medical help immediately.
You can also read the article on our website home remedies for cradle cap.