This article is about different ways to minimize pores. Our skin has a gland called sebaceous gland that produces natural oil. However, if the oil is produced in excess, it clogs the pores and therefore, the pores opens and becomes large. Open pores make you look dull and aged. So you need to shrink the pores. People with oily skin are more vulnerable to open and large pores. Since open pores attract the dust and impurities, therefore, it gives way to various skin conditions as well. Whiteheads, blackheads, pimples, and acne are a result of open pores. Other possible causes of large pores are stress, unhealthy skin, use of wrong skin products. Whatever the cause is you can treat open pores at the convenience of your home as well. Below we have listed some of the home remedies that will help you to minimize pores.
Different Ways to Minimize Pores:
1.) Exfoliation to Minimize Pores
Exfoliation is the best way to shrink or minimize the pores. The sebum gland sometimes produces oil in excess. Because of it, the extra oil and dirt is clogged in the pores and thus the pores opens. During exfoliation, the dust particles or oil clogged in the pores are removed and thus the size of the pore minimizes. Make sure that you use natural ingredients to exfoliate your skin. All you have to do is:
- Crush 2-3 almonds. Add a teaspoon of milk in the granules of almonds. Make sure that you do not make powder of the almonds.
- Apply this mixture on the open pores. Gently rub it with your fingertips in a circular motion. This will promote your blood circulation.
- Leave it on, for 10-15 minutes. Rinse it off when it dries.
- Alternatively, on a brush (soft bristles) put pea size scrub. Rub the brush gently on the affected area.
- Do any of the above remedies 1-2 times in a week to minimize the pores.
2.) Steam to Minimize Pores
Another way to minimize the pores is steam. It also helps to unclog the pores. It removes all the dirt and extra oil accumulated in the pores. Moreover, it will clean your pores. It is also helpful for removing blemishes acne, whiteheads, blackheads and other skin related problems. All you need to do is:
- Fill a large bowl with warm water. Add a few drops of essential oil such as peppermint or lavender oil in it.
- Sit in a relaxing position, place the bowl in front of you and cover your face, head, and bowl with the washcloth or a towel. Tilt your face towards the bowl and inhale the steam for 7-10 minutes.
- You can also use facial steamers for this purpose.
- Do this once in 10 days to minimize the pores.
3.) Bentonite Clay Mask to Minimise Pores
If you are in a hurry and have no time to look after your skin then just apply Bentonite clay mask. It will remove all the bacteria and impurities from the pores. In addition, it will also prevent the occurrence of breakouts like pimples, acne, whiteheads, and blackheads. Bentonite clay mask contains volcanic ashes which are very good for all skin types. All you have to do is:
- Take a thick quantity of bentonite clay in a small bowl, mix water or rose-water in it to make a thick face mask.
- With the help of facial brush or cotton ball apply this face mask on your face. Leave it on for 10-15 minutes or until it dries completely.
- Later rinse it off with normal water. The water should neither be cold nor hot.
- After rinsing, pat dry your face and apply a good moisturizer.
4.) Fuller’s Earth to Minimize Pores
If you do not get Bentonite clay mask then you can also apply fullers earth. It is cheap as compared to Bentonite clay mask and is equally effective. It will clean the pores and will give you supple and glowing skin. It soaks the excess oil which is produced by the sebaceous glands. It is one of the best natural face cleansers. You can apply it in the following ways:
- In a small bowl add a tablespoon of a fuller earth, rose-water or normal water. Mix both the ingredients thoroughly to make a thick face pack.
- For a radiant and glowing skin, you can also add a tinge of turmeric, a few drops of lemon juice and a gram flour to this face pack.
- With the help of facial brush or cotton ball apply it on your face. Since “T” zone that includes the nose, forehead and chin are more vulnerable to skin conditions so cover them nicely.
- Leave it on for 10-15 minutes or until it dries completely.
- At last, rinse it off with water. Pat dry your face and apply a moisturizer. Since fuller earth dries your skin so the moisturizer with moisturizes your skin.
5.) Baking Soda to Minimize Pores
Baking soda is also an ideal remedy for open pores. It has anti-inflammatory and antibacterial properties. These properties not only helps to minimize the pore, in fact, helps to cure blackheads, whiteheads, acne and pimples as well. Moreover, it removes the dead skin cell and regulates the pH level of the skin. To minimize pores with baking soda you have to do:
- In a small bowl mix two tablespoons of baking soda and water. Mix them thoroughly to get a nice paste.
- Apply the paste on the affected area. Massage the paste on the open pores in the circular motion for a few seconds.
- Then rinse it off with cool water.
- Do this 2-3 times a week to close the pores.
6.) Lemon Juice to Minimise Pores
Another effective home remedy for open pores is a lemon. It has astringent properties. It unclogs the pores and removes all the impurities and bacteria from it. In addition, you can use it to cure blackheads, whiteheads, and acne also. However, people with sensitive skin may find it strong, so add a few drops of water to it and apply it.
- Apply a few drops of lemon juice on the open pores with the help of cotton swab.
- Before applying it, do a patch test, if your skin itches then dilute it.
- Leave it on the affected area of the skin for a few minutes and then rinse it off.
- Alternatively, you can add a pinch of salt in the lemon juice before applying it. And rub it gently around the “T” zone.
- Do this 2-3 times a week to close the pores.
7.) Aloe-Vera to Minimize Pores
Aloe-Vera gel has anti-inflammatory and antifungal properties. These properties treat the skin infection and help to minimize the pores. It is a wonderful home remedy that can be sued for treating other skin related problems as well. It’s always better to apply natural Aloe-Vera gel. However, you can buy one from the market as well. All you have to do is:
- With the help of knife or spoon peel the upper layer of the Aloe-Vera leaf.
- Extract fresh gel from it and apply it on the entire face.
- Leave it on until it dries completely. Later rinse it off.
- Pat dry your face and apply a good moisturizer.
- It also moisturizes the skin.
8.) Honey to Minimize pores
Honey is an all-rounder remedy. It treats cough, cold and skin related problems as well. It is a boon for people having dry skin because it is a natural moisturizer. It cleanse the pores and hydrates the skin, giving you supple and smooth skin behind. It tightens your skin and makes you look younger. All you have to do is:
- Apply organic and good quality honey on the affected skin.
- Leave it on until it dries. Later rinse it off properly and you are good to go.
- Repeat this 2-3 times a week.
9.) Papaya to Minimise Pores
- Grate papaya and apply the grated part on the affected skin area.
- Massage it on the face in the circular motion with your fingertips. Leave it on for 10-15 minutes.
- Then rinse it off with water.
- To get clean and glowing skin apply papaya at alternate days.
10.) Sandalwood to Minimize Pores
Last but not the least in our list is sandalwood. Like papaya, it lightens the skin tone and helps you to get rid of all the impurities and bacteria accumulated in the pores. Moreover, it is a good natural cleanser. You can apply to treat blemishes as well. It is one of the best remedies to get rid of clogged pores. All you need to do is:
- In a small bowl add a tablespoon of sandalwood and add rose-water or water to it to get a thick paste.
- With the help of the facial brush or cotton ball apply this sandalwood paste on the open pores.
- Leave it on for 10-15 minutes. Then rinse it off.
- Pat your skin dry and do not forget to apply a good moisturizer.
Tips to Minimise Pores:
- Drink 8-10 glass of water in a day.
- Keep your hands clean.
- Avoid touching your face constantly.
- Exercise regularly
- Eat a balanced diet
- Apply correct skin products that suit your skin