This article is about how to treat hives. Hives, also known as urtivaria, is a skin problem which is marked by sudden outbreak of bumps on skin. These bumps are red in color. The area affected by hives swells, itches and becomes inflamed. The main reason for hives outbreak is some allergic reaction. The allergic reaction is caused due to release of protein known as histamine. Basically, it is food that leads to hives outbreak. Most commonly hives outbreak is a result of reaction from nuts, chocolate, tomatoes, fresh berries, milk, eggs and fish. There are some other reasons as well that lead to the outbreak of hives. We will discuss them further in this article. Along with the causes, we will also let you know different remedies to treat hives.
Causes of Hives Outbreak:
We discussed some of the reasons for hives outbreak, now let us discuss the other reasons for hives outbreak. Hives is basically caused due to the release of protein known as histamine. When it is released, small blood vessels are leaked out by blood plasma in the skin. The factors that can trigger histamine are:
- Exposure to sunlight
- Insect bites
- Certain medications
- Certain foods
- Food additives
- Animal Blender
Drugs that can cause hives are nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory medications such as aspirin, ibuprofen, painkillers like codeine and blood pressure drugs.
Types of Hives:
Basically there are two types of hives:
- Acute Urtivaria – This lasts for less than six weeks and is caused due to some infection, certain foods, medication and insect bites.
- Chronic Urtivaria – This lasts for more than six months. For this type of hives, it is difficult to identify the cause. The cause for this type of urtivaria might be some infection, hepatitis, thyroid or cancer.
Symptoms of Hives:
Hives can be easily mistaken with some other skin problem. So, here are the symptoms that will help you identify hives:
- Ref bumps on skin, itchiness, inflammation and pain.
- Red bumps turn white on pressing. This process is known as blanching.
Home Remedies to Treat Hives:
The good part about hives is that it can be treat well at home. Now we are going to discuss some of the best ways to treat hives naturally at home.
1.) Cold Compress to Treat Hives
Cold compress is one of the best ways used to treat hives. This is the remedy that has been suggested to treat a number of skin related problems. It helps removes redness and relieves you from swelling, itching and pain. Also, cold compress puts a stop on the release of histamine by shrinking the blood vessels. Follow the given steps to practice this remedy:
- Take a clean cloth and wrap four ice cubes in it.
- Now place this ice bag on the affected area.
- Leave it there as long as you can stand.
- Repeat the process at least thrice a day for best results.
2.) Apple Cider Vinegar to Treat Hives
Apple cider vinegar is the remedy which has been used to treat a number of skin and health related problems. It has antihistamine properties that provide immediate relief from pain and inflammation. You can simply dilute apple cider vinegar with equal amount of water or you can also take a bath with apple cider vinegar solution and you will be able to get rid of hives fast. What you have to do is:
- Fill your bathtub with lukewarm water.
- Add two cups of apple cider vinegar to it.
- Now soak yourself in this water for twenty minutes.
- Stand in fan to dry yourself. Avoid using towel.
3.) Aloe Vera Gel to Treat Hives
Aloe Vera gel is also one of the most effective remedies used to treat hives. It helps with the inflammation, pain and swelling. It is rich in anti-microbial and anti-inflammatory properties that help fight the problem fast. You can use it both internally and externally. Drinking two tablespoon of Aloe Vera juice daily will help boost your immune system. What else you can do is:
- Take an aloe Vera leaf and cut it into two to extract gel.
- Collect the gel in a bowl and apply it on the affected area.
- Leave it for fifteen minutes and wash the affected area with lukewarm water.
- Repeat the process several times a day for best results.
4.) Baking Soda to Treat Hives
You can also go foe baking in order to get rid of hives fast. Baking soda has anti-inflammatory properties that help with inflammation and itching. You have to soak yourself in baking soda for the purpose. What you have to do is:
- Fill your bathtub with lukewarm water and a cup of baking soda to it.
- Now soak yourself in the solution for fifteen minutes.
- Dry yourself under fan. Do not use towel.
5.) Oatmeal to Treat Hives
Oatmeal is also one of the most effective home remedies for hives treatment. It has anti-itching and anti-inflammatory properties that help provide quick relief from the itchiness and burning sensations. Oatmeal helps speed up the healing process. Follow the given steps to follow this remedy:
- Fill your bath tub with lukewarm water.
- Add one cup of baking soda to it.
- Now add two cups of grounded baking soda.
- Soak yourself in the water for fifteen minutes.
- Take two cups of grounded oatmeal in a bowl.
- Add two tablespoons of cornstarch to it.
- Add enough water to make a paste.
- Apply it on the affected area and leave for 15 minutes.
- Wash with lukewarm water.
6.) Nettle to Treat Hives
You can also try nettle in order to get rid of hives. Being rich in antihistamine and anti-inflammatory properties, it helps speed up the healing process. Nettle treats you internally and provides you relief from the problem fast. You have to prepare tea with nettle leaves and you will be able to cure hives fast. To prepare the tea:
- Take a cup and put two teaspoons of dried nettle leaves in it.
- Pour hot water on it and cover it with a lid.
- Allow it to steep for two minutes and then drink it.
7.) Turmeric to Treat Hives
The antihistamine and the anti-inflammatory properties of turmeric help make turmeric one of the best remedies for hives treatment. Same as nettle leaves, turmeric treats you from inside. What you have to do is mix a teaspoon of turmeric in a glass of milk and drink it.
8.) Basil to Treat Hives
Basil is also one of the most effective remedies for hives treatment. It has properties that speed up the healing process. It is highly effective at treating itching and inflammation. What you have to do is:
- Take a mug and put a tablespoon of dried basil leaves to it.
- Pour hot water in mug and cover it with a lid.
- Leave it as it is and allow to cool completely.
- When it cools down completely, apply it on the affected area with a cotton ball.
9.) Mint to Treat Hives
Mint is rich in anti-inflammatory properties that help with the inflammation and itchiness. Follow the given steps to use it:
- Put some dried mint leaves in a mug.
- Pour hot water on it and cover with a lid.
- Allow the leaves to steep for ten minutes.
- Strain it and keep the solution in the refrigerator.
- After some time, use the water to wash the affected area.
10.) Take a Bath to Treat Hives
This is the simplest way to get instant relief from the itchiness and the inflammation. What you have to do is take a bath with cold water whenever you suffer with the problem. Cold water will shrink the blood vessels, constricting the release of histamine.
Medicines to Treat Hives:
If you do not want to go for the natural ways and want to try some quick methods to get rid of hives then you go for different medicines as well. Going for medication require doctor’s recommendation. Basically there are three drugs used to treat hives. These drugs are hydroxyzine (Vistaril), Chlorpheniramine (Chlor-Trimeton) and Diphenhyframine (Benadryl). These medicines can make you drowsy as well. Other medications that you can go for are:
1.) Rutin to Treat Hives
Rutin is bioflavonoid that is found in citrus fruits. It helps reduce inflammation and itching. The recommended dosage for the medicine is 150 mg at every 12 hours.
2.) Try Coleus Forskohlii
This is plant popular in Ayurvedic medicine. The plant is generally found in Southeast Asia. It helps constrict the release of histamine.
When to See Your Doctor?
You should not rely on the home remedies or the other ways. The condition might worsen and in many cases, you should consult your doctor as soon as possible. Here are the symptoms that you should consider to consult a doctor.
- If you have itching in your throat, consult your doctor fast.
- If you experience dry throat and cough and cold sweat, you need to see you doctor.
- Dizziness, nausea, trouble breathing and sudden fall in blood pressure suggest that you should rush to the doctor.
- You should see your doctor if you swelling on the lips, throat and tongue.