After writing, how to get rid of fruit flies?, how to get rid of mosquitoes?, how to get rid of carpenter bees?, and how to get rid of ants?, we are now writing the best ways to get rid of bees. Honey is one among the essential food items known to man. It’s healthy properties make it one of the major ingredients for a good, fitness based diet. Can we imagine honey without bees, the manufacturers of this sweet, highly viscous, substance? Even though bees may fascinate many, but their sting is something not everyone wants to get captivated with.
Though, bees are the best suppliers of honey in the world but their presence at home can create so much mess for the dwellers. In this article, we are presenting the best ways to get rid of bees naturally and fast. When you notice the honey bee at your home, the only thing that annoys you about these pesky insects is the bee sting. It is very painful and if you are attacked by the whole group of bees. In such situation, it becomes very difficult to prevent yourself from them. The only way out from such a miserable situation is to get rid of bees fast.
Types of Bees:
- Hornets: They are large wasps which make nest in trees. Make sure you stay away from them. If the nest is near your home then you will get to know by the mowing sound and the noise they make.
- Paper Wasps: These social wasps build open nest which look like an umbrella. They make their nest with the wood pulp. Paper wasps are very aggressive and they should be removed completely from high traffic areas.
- Cicada Killers: These are very beneficial for solitary wasps. They kill the cicadas and use them to feed their young ones.
- Bald-Faced Hornets: They are not really hornets but aggressive white and black wasps that are very easily annoyed. You need to call for professional help to deal with these irritating creatures.
- Yellow Jacket: These are both wasps and hornets that have orange and yellow stripes.
- Red Wasps: These red wasps have a solid reddish brown color with black wings. Red wasps are widespread and very aggressive. They should be removed from the high traffic areas.
- Mud Daubers: These are solitary wasps that make small nest made up of mud cylinders in which all kind of paralyzed spiders are present. Mud daubers lay their eggs on the spider’s immobilized body and once the eggs hatch they consume the spider.
Few Fascinating Facts About Bees:
Bees are also known as Order Hymenoptera. There are various fascinating facts associated with bees. Here are few of them:
- Though people are afraid of the bee sting, but it can cure HIV. Bee sting can also provide ease in the pain caused by rheumatoid arthritis.
- They work harder than human beings and have the quality to change their brain chemistry, when they change their jobs. They can perform multiple jobs and tasks in their lifetime.
- These little insects can easily recognize the human faces.
- They have various personalities like shirkers and workers in their kingdom.
- They can use the sun as a compass to get the directions.
Ways to Get Rid of Bees Naturally and Fast:
1.) Find The Bees And Protect Yourself
Find the Hive: You need to find out the bees infested area especially their nests to get rid of bees. It is the most primary step that is very useful to prevent bees.
Define Their Identity: Try to find out which kind of the bee is creating a mess in your surroundings. Identify their species to get rid of bees naturally. You can only prevent them while using different ways to get rid of bees. This can only be done when you can recognize their species.
Wear Protection While Spraying: Bees can attack you if will not wear proper protection. Try to spray on their nests at night when these bees are not buzzing around their nests. Also, wear full sleeve shirt, gloves and a wide-brimmed hat having a net to protect your face and hands from the bee sting. Moreover, don’t forget to spray on the bees infested areas like flower beds, plants, and bushes.
2.) Use The Diatomaceous Earth
One of the best remedies to get rid of bees is to use the fossilized powder called diatomaceous earth. The powder is made up of the remains of fossilized aquatic plants. It is known to have microbial spikes which can penetrate the skin of bugs and harm them in the worst possible ways.
Spread the powder around the nest of the bees directly. You can also spray it by mixing it with water. Wait for some time to show its results and make sure to spray it at morning. The morning time is perfect because most of the bees leave their colony at this period. The powder will stick to their body and will eventually kill them.
3.) Spray The Petrol
Petrol is known to get away and at many times even kill bees. For this process, make sure that you do it carefully, for petrol is highly inflammable. Also, do not inhale any of it.
- Spread petrol on the nest of the bees using a cloth dipped in the same.
- Let it rest there and make sure to stay away from the affected area.
- Open up any openings so that they leave the area immediately.
4.) Make Your Own Citrus Spray
Citrus is known to get rid of all kinds of bugs, for they can’t bear its strong odor. For bees especially what you can do, is either purchase a good citrus spray, which is known to deal with bees. You could also add up lemons and other citrus based fruits in boiling water to get your own home based bees remedy. Spray it around the area where they reside and you will see them running for their lives.
5.) Use The Almond Oil
While, most of you would have heard the benefits of almond oil, to cure hair problems. It is effective for bees as well. To keep it simple, just follow the steps below:
- Apply almond oil all over the opening of the bee nest.
- Keep it there for a while, and make sure you do it in the evening time especially.
- The smell and powerful anti-inflammatory properties will irritate their skin and they will leave your home for good.
6.) Make Some Noise
Noise can not only irritate your next door neighbor but also your new found trespassers, the bees. The bees cannot bear loud sounds, and tend to leave any area with high pitched noises. This may require no special chemical procedure but a simple sound box on your part. Just place the sound box near the nest and keep it on a high pitch. The bees will finally after some time flock up to escape.
7.) Use Vinegar Solution
Just take half amount of water in the spray bottle. Now, add half a teaspoon of vinegar in it. Mix it well and prepare a solution. Vinegar can repel the bees easily. Spray it on their nests directly to get rid of the bees.
8.) Use Soap Solution
You can also use a soap solution to get rid of bees. Just add soap in water and mix it well. Pour this soap solution in a spray bottle. Now, spray it on the nests of bees and the places where bees occur more frequently.
9.) Use The Mothballs
This is one of the effective ways used to get rid of bees. Just hang some mothballs in the thin sock or old nylon. Place it near to the nests of the bees. They will fly away from their nests due to the presence of mothballs.
10.) Soda Pop Bottle
Just take an old soda bottle containing half amount of soda in it. Now, fill it with a sweet soda like mountain dew. Place it near to the nests of the bees and the places, where these bees occur more frequently. You will find that the bees will be attracted towards the scent of the solution and they will surely come to consume it. They will drown inside the solution, when they will come to consume the soda. Repeat this process until the bees get disappear naturally. Also, keep on changing the soda for few days to get rid of bees.
11.) Use The Zapper
Place a bug zapper strip close to the beehive. This is one of the best ways to get rid of bees. The bees will be caught in the sticky material and eventually they will die. You can purchase it from any home improvement shop, grocery, and drug store. Once you are done with these different ways to get rid of bees. Then simply see whether there is the activity of these bees or not. Also, clean up the bees and their nest after spraying.
12.) Take Help of a Beekeeper
If you are afraid of bees and you can’t control them on your own then it is better to take a help of a beekeeper. They will surely like to take beehive as they surely like to get honey from it.
13.) Use Boric Acid
This is an arch enemy of all kinds of insects that may be causing you problems. Boric acid could be simply used just like diatomaceous earth by spreading it all over the bee nest. Let it be there for some time and see the results. Boric acid tends to stick to their skin and is known to cause allergy which may kill them.
14.) Spray The Insecticide
While, if you are a nature lover this may not be a good alternative, but in reality this can come in handy. The professionals know what they are dealing with and can help provide the best solution. Research for one of the best insecticides available in the market to get rid of bees. After you find the right one, just spray it directly or spread it, if it is present in powder form. It will not only kill them but will make sure that they don’t return for some time.
15.) Call For Professional Help
If the situation goes out of your hands and you are unable to control the bees then call a pesticide company. Take assistance of professionals. They will come and will remove the bees and their hives. They will use pesticides and organic material to get rid of bees. So, call for a professional assistance if you are unable to handle the situations on your own.
16.) Soapy Boiling Mint Water to Kill Bees
This is one of the most effective methods to get rid of bees. The real way to kill bees is to attack the nest. If you are dealing with ground bees, then it’s easy to locate the nest. Soapy boiling mint water kills the bees and eggs in the hive. Follow the instructions given below to get rid of bees.
- Take 2 cups of water in a large bowl. Mix 2 cups of peppermint castile soap in it.
- Also, keep a kettle of boiling water with you. Wear some protective clothing to avoid bee stings. Pour down this solution into the nest to kill bees immediately.
- Once you pour down the soapy water, then pour boiling water in the nest.
- Repeat this treatment in every few days to get rid of bees completely.
17.) Aerosol Carburetor Cleaner to Get Rid of Bees
This is one of the best methods to get rid of bees. Though it is not a gentle product but it is very effective way to kill bees. It comes in a variety of forms. In some cases, it kills the bees instantly and in other cases it makes the nest uninhabitable. All you need to do is spray aerosol carburetor directly into the burrows. After a few days, use plastic wood or caulking powder to close the entrance hole.
Precaution: Keep this spray away from your face and eyes. Wear protective clothes for your own safety.
18.) Paint to Get Rid of Bees
This is one of the best methods to get rid of bees. Carpenter bees shelter themselves in unpainted objects such as roof eaves, doors, railings, shingles, windows etc. Therefore, it is necessary to paint all the outer wooden surfaces present in the house. This will reduce the bee infestation in your home. No doubt that bees attack all wooden surfaces but they are more attracted to untreated wood. All you need to do is use a good quality exterior primer. Apply two coats of paints for protection. Oil based paints is also an excellent option to get rid of carpenter bees.
19.) Water Your Lawn Frequently to Get Rid of Bees
This is one of the best methods to keep bees away from your home. If you are tired of the ground bees, then this method will drive them out and prevent them from coming back in the future. Ground bees normally build their nest in sandy or dry soil. All you need to do is water your lawn frequently to keep the soil moist and deter bees. It not only helps to get rid of bees but also keeps the lawn beautiful all year round.
20.) D-Force HPX to Get Rid of Bees
This is one of the most effective methods to get rid of bees. It is a perfect way to keep ground bees away from your home. This chemical insecticide and it contains an ingredient called Deltamethrin. This is a synthetic ingredient that attacks the nervous system of the bees, which makes it paralyzed. The bees die immediately after that.
The best thing about this chemical is that you can target a specific location and you don’t have to use the chemical in the entire yard. You can spray this chemical on the nest or on the bees directly. While spraying insecticides wear protective clothing. This chemical ingredient provides 8 weeks of protection and you can use it both indoors and outdoors. Make sure you keep this away from the kids and pets. Follow the instructions appropriately written on the product and take safety measures.
21.) Pyrethrins to Kill Bees
This insecticide is made up from compounds that are present in chrysanthemums. The toxins in it kill the bees completely. All you need to do is spray this insecticide directly on the bee hives and next you can keep spray it in the burrows of carpenter bees. The best thing about this product is that it is biodegradable and hence is 100% safe. This method does not repel bees but kill them immediately. So, you need to be careful while using this product. This is one of the wonderful methods to get rid of bees completely.
22.) Badminton Rackets to Get Rid of Bees
This is one of the best methods to get rid of bees. Carpenter bees fly around to search for burrows to lay eggs. This means they are active for 2 to 3 weeks and there is chance to kill them. All you need to do is smash the bees with badminton racket.
How to Protect Your Home from Unwanted Bees?
Well, it is not in your hand to protect your home from unwanted bees as they can enter any object and item that contains a hole which is a quarter or an inch larger in the size. So, here are few preventive measures that you may take to avoid bees from entering your home.
- The first step for preventing bees is to destroy their nests. Just small amount of pesticide can provide a great relief from bees.
- Also, if you want to protect your child from the bee sting, then simply avoid using perfumes as it may attract bees.
- If there is a beehive in your home, then simply avoid wearing the bright color of clothes that looks like a flower patch. Always try to wear long pants, shoes, and hats on your hat to avoid bees.
Ways to Prevent Bees From Nesting:
Here are few preventive measures that you must follow to prevent bees from the nestling.
- Just try to clean out the old nests that have no activity.
- Stay vigilant while finding out the activity of bee.
- Seal and plug all the openings of soffits, vents and cracks.
At times, it is really important to use few preventive measures to avoid bee sting. These methods can help you from getting into the contact of the bee. So use these preventive measures to prevent yourself and your kids from a bee sting.
Now, there is no need to be worried about these pesky pests. You have plenty of homemade options and various other ways to prevent bees. So, the next time you notice these bees roaming in your surroundings doesn’t worry. Take proper preventive measures and get rid of bees as soon as possible.
Tips to Prevent Bee Stings:
- Avoid walking barefoot to prevent bee stings.
- Use Garbage cans that are covered with lid. Make sure you clean them every day.
- Make sure you don’t wear lose fitting clothes especially if you are going to a flower garden.
- Avoid wearing bright colored clothes when you visit a flower garden. Don’t wear floral prints.
- If you are trying some home remedies to kill bees, then make sure you wear protective clothes.