This article is about the ways to treat a broken tooth. Teeth are strong and play a vital role in our life. Teeth helps to chew food and if you are blessed with strong and white teeth then you look good while smiling. But they can crack or break due to several reasons such as falling, cavities that weaken the tooth, biting down on something hard and having large, old amalgam fillings that don’t support the remaining enamel of the tooth. Due to a broken tooth, you feel pain while chewing. There are two types of crack, one is where the tooth is actually cracked and the other one is the fracture in an enameled line. The Broken tooth doesn’t look good. When you smile you look weird due to broken teeth. So don’t panic, we are here for you, we have come up with the best remedies for broken teeth. Follow them and get white and strong teeth.
Symptoms of a Broken Tooth:
- Facial swelling
- Cuts surrounding the lips and cheeks
- Isolated bleeding from the mouth
- Severe pain in teeth
Causes of a Broken Tooth:
- Sports activities
- Multiple trauma
- Cavities that weaken the tooth
Treatments to Treat a Broken Tooth:
- Treatments to Treat a Broken Tooth:
- 1.) Avoid Chewing Hard Objects to Treat a Broken Tooth
- 2.) Consult a Doctor to Treat a Broken Teeth
- 3.) Salt Water to Treat a Broken Tooth at Home
- 4.) Medications to Treat a Broken Tooth Fast
- 5.) Garlic to Treat a Broken Tooth Naturally
- 6.) Cloves to Treat a Cracked Tooth Fast
- 7.) Onion to Treat a Broken Tooth Overnight
- 8.) Guava Leaves to Treat a Broken Tooth Fast & Naturally
- 9.) Wheatgrass Juice to Treat a Broken Tooth
- 10.) Vanilla Extract to Treat a Broken Tooth Fast
- Check if You Have Cracked Tooth to Treat a Broken Tooth
- Curing Your Injury Until You Visit to the Dentist
1.) Avoid Chewing Hard Objects to Treat a Broken Tooth
Many people chew on hard objects like pens and ice. These hard objects can break your teeth. So don’t chew hard objects. Also, don’t grind your teeth that means you continuously press your teeth together that will weaken your enamel and your teeth may crack.
2.) Consult a Doctor to Treat a Broken Teeth
When your teeth break, then consult a doctor immediately. Broken teeth are treatable. To prevent the further damage you need to visit the dentist. Save the portion of the broken tooth and take it with you when you visit the dentist.
3.) Salt Water to Treat a Broken Tooth at Home
Salt water is one of the best remedies for treating a broken tooth. When you have a broken tooth, then your injury may get infected due to bacteria. So to avoid the infection rinse your mouth with salty water.
Steps to Use Salt Water to Treat a Chipped Tooth:
- Heat a cup of water and add 1 tsp of salt in it.
- Swish the salty solution around your mouth for 30 to 60 seconds.
- But try to target the injured area. make sure not to swallow the salty solution.
- Repeat it after having meals.
4.) Medications to Treat a Broken Tooth Fast
The severe pain in the cracked tooth can be treated with OTC pain relievers. Ibuprofen products such as Advil and Motrin which are usually preferred, because ibuprofen reduces swelling and also treat pain in the tooth. But if ibuprofen is not available then you can take an acetaminophen product like Tylenol.
5.) Garlic to Treat a Broken Tooth Naturally
Garlic provides immense relief from pain which is caused due to a cracked tooth. Garlic contains medicinal properties which are very beneficial in reducing the pain.
Steps to Use Garlic to Treat a Chipped Tooth at Home:
- Mix a crushed garlic clove with some black salt or table salt and apply it on the affected tooth to remove the pain.
- You can also chew 1 or 2 garlic cloves to get relief.
- Repeat this garlic treatment for a few days.
6.) Cloves to Treat a Cracked Tooth Fast
Cloves have antibacterial, anti-inflammatory and anti-oxidant properties which help to eliminate pain and fight infection. Cloves are one of the most amazing properties to treat a cracked tooth.
Steps to Use Cloves to Treat a Chipped Tooth Naturally:
- Grind 2 cloves and mix it with a little olive oil or any vegetable oil.
- Apply it on the affected tooth.
7.) Onion to Treat a Broken Tooth Overnight
Onion has antimicrobial and antiseptic properties. It helps to reduce the tooth pain which is caused by broken teeth. It can give relief from tooth pain by killing the bacteria and germs causing an infection.
Steps to Use Onion to Treat a Cracked Tooth:
- To get the relief from tooth pain chew raw onion for a few minutes.
- Or if you can’t chew it, then you can place a slice of raw onion on the tooth.
8.) Guava Leaves to Treat a Broken Tooth Fast & Naturally
Fresh guava leaves contain analgesic, anti-inflammatory and anti-microbial properties which help to treat a toothache which is caused by broken teeth.
Steps to Use Guava Leaves to Treat a Chipped Tooth:
- Chew 1 or 2 guava leaves or you can chew raw spinach leaves.
- Another method is to boil water with 4 to 5 guava leaves.
- Let the solution cool down at a warm temperature.
- Add some salt to it. Use this solution for mouthwash.
- This method will help to avoid broken tooth.
9.) Wheatgrass Juice to Treat a Broken Tooth
Due to the presence of antibacterial properties in wheatgrass, it helps to fight infection and relieve tooth pain. It absorbs toxins from the gums, keeps the infection under control and reduce the growth of bacteria.
Steps to Use Wheatgrass Juice to Treat a Broken Tooth Naturally:
- Extract the juice by blending the wheatgrass with water. Then strain it to get the juice.
- You can also chew wheatgrass.
- Wheatgrass juice is also available in the market.
10.) Vanilla Extract to Treat a Broken Tooth Fast
Vanilla extract is one of the popular home remedies to treat tooth pain as it helps to numb the pain.It also has a calming effect.
Steps to Use a Vanilla Extract to Cure a Broken Tooth:
- Dip a cotton ball in vanilla extract and dab it on the affected tooth.
- Do this a few times a day until you get relief from the pain.
Check if You Have Cracked Tooth to Treat a Broken Tooth
1.) Notice for Sudden Pain Right after Impact or Chewing Something Hard
If you crack your tooth suddenly then must feel pain after the injury. So, whenever you will experience, you just have to examine the tooth that hurts and see if it is crack or you found some broken pieces in your mouth. You must feel pain in your when the broken part will inflamed. And you should also keep this in your mind that you should still have shard of tooth in your mouth. So make sure that the broken pieces not get swallowed, try to spit out if it is in the mouth. Save the shard if you have it.
2.) Check the Erratic Pain in Your Tooth
If your broken tooth is less severe, you may not feel immediate pain in your mouth. Instead, you will also feel more dull pain which will come and go. You will feel pain in your tooth while chewing any solid food or when you eat very hot or cold foods. If you experience this kind of pain, it would be a good idea to investigate further.
3.) Examine Your Tooth for Visible Cracks or Damage
If you are not sure that you have cracked a tooth, a visible inspection will surely help you to clear you confusion. You can also check in the mirror, you can look for visible cracks or missing section of your tooth. The best thing, if you can’t see the broken tooth then you can feel it by touching with your tongue. You need to try very carefully by rubbing your tongue on a broken tooth. If you feel that there is rough pointy section then this will indicate a crack.
4.) Look for the Swelling or Inflammation around the Cracked Tooth
If you feel difficulty in finding the crack then you can also look at your gum with small mirror. The gum line around the tooth will get swell and red. You should consider all the symptom that will help you to find out the cracks.
5.) Take an Appointment with a Dentist
Even if you know that you have cracked tooth and you are feeling so much of pain, but cannot locate it. Just go to dentist as soon as possible for immediate cure. You can treat the cracked tooth at home but you need to go to the dentist as soon as possible to avoid further damage. In mean time, there are so many steps that you can take to protect the mouth and alleviate the pain from your gums. So to prevent further infection and soreness, you should immediately consult with doctor. In many cases, some injuries are not minor and cause damage to other parts of your body.
Curing Your Injury Until You Visit to the Dentist
1.) Keep the Shard of the Tooth if You have
Keep the shard if possible as sometimes dentist can able to fix the broken shard that you have save. Take the shard and put into the container with milk or keep the shard with saliva to prevent rotting. Take this with you when you visit to your dentist.
But make sure, you should never try to reattach the portion of your teeth. As this process will not work until you should have proper equipment and right technique. Don’t do this at home as you can cause severe pain for yourself if you poke an exposed nerve.
2.) Rinse with Salt Water
If you feel that you tooth is cracked or your gum is bleeding then you should first rinse your mouth with salt water to prevent infection and other disease. If you really want to get rid of infection or further problem then must rinse your mouth with salt water.
You just need to mix 1tsp of salt water into warm water. And swish the mixture around your mouth for about 30 to 60 seconds. Just concentrate on injured area that it will properly cover by salt water. As it will remove the infection so make sure you won’t swallow that in your mouth. Repeat this after every meal to prevent infection. As little food particle can stuck in the tooth and cause infection.
3.) Consume Pain Reliever to Get Rid of the Pain
If you have damaged your tooth badly then you must have severe pain in your tooth. You can get rid of pain with OTC pain reliever until you go to the dentist and get fixed.
Ibuprofen products like Mortin and Advil are commonly preferred oven acetaminophen because ibuprofen can also reduce swelling while treating your pain. But if you don’t ibuprofen at your home, take an acetaminophen product like Tylenol.
4.) Cover the Sharp Point with Dental Wax
Sometime when you the tooth gets break, it leaves sharp pointed edges that can harm your tongue or inside skin of the mouth. To get rid of damage to your mouth, you need to cover the edges with dental wax. You can purchase this product at local market or nearby pharmacies to prevent the damage to your tongue or gums. If you don’t find any suitable option then you can also cover your sharp pointed edges with sugar free chewing gum to avoid further damage to your skin.
5.) Be Careful While Eating
It can also possible that you won’t be able to see the doctor for few days after you broke tooth. In that case, you have to eat very carefully before you go for the appointment. You can follow some measure to avoid further damage or prevent infection in your mouth. You just have to stick with soft food as the cracked tooth will be soft and also cause more damage to you. As hard food can break the broken tooth again and make it more badly. Go for soft food like soups, oats, and Pudding to avoid further damage to your mouth until you visit to doctor. Don’t eat too hot or too cold, as the damage part will be more sensitive and cause many other problems to you.
Other Useful Tips:
- Consult a dentist, if it is not treated with above remedies.
- Take proper care of your teeth. Poor oral hygiene can weaken your teeth and make them susceptible to damage.
- Wear a mouthguard while playing sports such as baseball, cricket, hockey, football etc.
- Don’t grind your teeth as grinding will weaken your enamel.
- Don’t chew on hard objects such as pens and ice.
- Your tooth may have to be extracted if the tooth has been damaged.
- Have a root canal if the tooth has been badly damaged.
- Your dentist will choose a filling material to fill the crack.