Do you often feel itching or something is moving in your head? If yes, then your head has become home to lice. Lice are tiny brown and parasitic insects which live among human hair, especially in kids. In U.S 6 to 12 million kids get head lice every year. Lice need blood to survive, that’s why they suck blood from the scalp. They are very annoying and contagious. However, once you detect them you can easily get rid of them. But the main problem comes when the parents have to detect them. So how will you detect lice? Here in this article, there are some measures which will help you to detect lice.
Symptoms of Lice:
- Scalp itching
- Feeling of something moving on the head.
- Difficulty while sleeping
- Red scars on the head due to scratching.
Causes of Lice:
- Head to head contact with an infected person.
- Use of fabric item after an infected person.
- By sharing hair accessories or some other personal items of someone with head lice.
Methods to Detect Lice:
There are two methods which help to detect lice.
1.) Wet Hair Method to Detect Lice
This method takes 5 to 15 minutes to detect lice depending upon the length and thickness of hair.
- First, wash your hair with a shampoo.
- Rinse out the shampoo properly and put on lots of conditioner to your hair.
- Use a normal comb to comb your hair to remove tangles.
- After combing your hair, use a lice detection comb. This is a special fine toothed comb which is used for detecting lice.
- Now, comb your hair with this detection comb in such a way so that its teeth touch the scalp.
- Draw the comb through to the tips of your hair.
- After each stroke check the detection comb for lice. You can also use a magnifying glass to detect lice.
- If you find any lice then clean the comb with a tissue or you can wash it.
- After the whole head has been combed, use conditioner.
- Repeat this method in the wet hair to check the lice.
2.) Dry Hair Method to Detect Lice
This method will take 3 to 5 minutes to detect lice, depending on the length and thickness of the hair.
- Use an ordinary comb to straighten and untangle the dry hair.
- Once the comb moves freely through your hair then you can use detection comb to comb your hair.
- Start combing your hair from the scalp and then moves down to the end of the hair. Comb each section of your hair 3 to 4 times.
- After combing your hair check your comb to see the lice.
- Now wash the comb or you can kill the lice with your thumb.
- Continue combing the hair until the whole head is combed properly.
Remedies to Get Rid of Lice:
1.) Tea Tree Oil to Treat Head Lice Fast
Tea tree essential oil is an effective treatment for head lice as it is a natural insecticide.
Steps to Use Tea Tree Oil:
- Combine 1 tsp of tea tree oil, 1 ounce of natural shampoo, 3 tbsp of olive and coconut oil.
- Apply this mixture gently on your hair and use a towel or shower cap to cover your head.
- After half an hour, rinse your hair with hot water. Now comb your hair and remove the dead lice.
2.) Olive Oil to Get Rid of Lice Fast & Naturally
Olive oil will effectively kill head lice.
- Apply olive oil gently on your scalp before bedtime.
- Cover your head with a shower cap to keep the oil overnight.
- Next morning comb your hair to remove the tiny parasites. Then wash your hair with mild shampoo.
- Another method to remove lice from the head is: Combine one-half cup of olive oil and one-half cup of conditioner. Then add some liquid soap to this solution. Apply this solution on your hair and keep it for an hour. Then wash off your hair and apply conditioner. Comb your hair to remove the dead lice. Repeat it again after a week to get better results.
3.) Garlic to Detect Lice Naturally
Garlic has a strong fragrance that helps to kill the lice.
Steps to Use Garlic:
- Make a paste of 8 to 10 garlic cloves and add 2 to 3 tsp of lemon juice in it.
- Apply the solution onto the scalp. After half an hour wash the hair thoroughly with warm water.
- Alternatively, make a thick paste by mixing green tea, fresh garlic juice with some cooking oil, lemon extract, little shampoo and conditioner. Coat your hair with this paste and cover your hair with a shower cap or towel. Keep it for half an hour and wash your hair with shampoo. Repeat this remedy for 1 to 2 months on a weekly basis.
4.) Coconut Oil to Remove Head Lice
Coconut oil has lubricating nature which will stop lice from moving freely and prevent it from multiplying.
Steps to Use Coconut Oil:
- First wet your hair thoroughly with apple cider vinegar and let it dry.
- Then rub the hair and scalp with coconut oil.
- Use a shower cap to cover your head and keep it overnight.
- The next morning, comb your hair and wash your hair with shampoo.
- Repeat it once a day for a week to detect lice.
5.) White Vinegar to Treat Head Lice Fast
White vinegar is inexpensive and effective for detecting lice. White vinegar contains acetic acid, which can kill lice.
Steps to Use White Vinegar:
- Combine an equal amount of white vinegar and water.
- Apply this solution to your hair and scalp and then wrap a shower cap around the hair for about an hour or two.
- Then dip a comb in white vinegar and comb your hair. You can wash your hair with white vinegar after and before shampooing.
6.) Sesame Seeds Oil to Detect Lice
Sesame seed oil has antifungal, antibacterial and natural insecticide properties. Sesame seed oil helps to get rid of lice.
Steps to Use Sesame Seeds Oil:
- Combine together ¼ cup of sesame seed oil, a one-eighth cup of indica oil, 1 tsp of tea tree oil, ½ tsp of eucalyptus, rosemary essential oil and about ten drops of lavender essential oil. Mix it well and simultaneously, wash your hair with apple cider vinegar and let it dry.
- Then apply this solution on your scalp and hair.
- Put a shower cap to cover your head and keep it overnight.
- The next morning comb your hair properly to remove the lice. Shampoo your hair normally. Repeat this method for 1 or 2 weeks.
7.) Ivermectin to Detect Lice Fast
Ivermectin is a lotion 0.5%, which comes from bacteria found in soil. It helps to kill and paralyzes lice and their eggs.
Steps to Use Ivermectin:
- Use this solution to the scalp and dry hair.
- After 10 minutes, rinse your hair. After a single application, you are free from head lice.
- There is only 1% chance of having side effects by this lotion. So use it carefully.
8.) Salt to Avoid Lice Fast
Salt is effective and can be used to get rid of head lice.
Steps to Use Salt:
- Add one-quarter cup of salt in a one-quarter cup of vinegar.
- Mix it well and then spray the solution on your hair.
- Then cover your hair with a shower cap. After 2 hours wash your hair.
- Repeat it every 3 days to get better results.
9.) Mayonnaise to Detect Lice
Mayonnaise has viscosity properties and contains oil that will suffocate head lice.
Steps to Use Mayonnaise:
- Use full fat mayonnaise and apply it on your scalp.
- Put a shower cap to cover your head and leave it for about 8 hours.
- Shampoo your hair and then comb out the dead lice.
10.) Petroleum Jelly to Remove Lice Overnight
Petroleum jelly or Vaseline helps to kill lice. It works better than other methods to kill lice.
Steps to Use Petroleum Jelly:
- Apply the petroleum jelly on your scalp and cover it overnight with a cap.
- Wash your hair next morning.
- Then comb your hair to remove lice. Repeat it after one week.