In this article, we will discuss some of the best home remedies for athlete’s foot. These remedies are simple, easy and very effective for Athlete’s foot treatment. Firstly, let us discuss a little bit about this condition. Athlete’s foot is a contagious fungal infection in the skin which is generally caused between toes. It infects mostly those people whose feet gets sweaty due to wearing tight fitting shoes for long. It is quite infectious in nature. It can spread easily to others also through an infected towel, shoes, clothes, floor, etc. It can be marked by a small bubble between toes. It can cause itching, scaly rashes, cracks which gives stinging and burning sensation between toes. This condition is medically termed as tinea pedis. It is caused by a fungus called dermatophytes, which also causes infection in hairs, and nails too. Dermophytes require warmish, moist and dark environment to grow. If prevention is not taken timely, it can cause breakdown of tissue and can make the affected skin wet and soft. It can be quite stinky as well. Before moving on to remedies for athlete’s foot, let us know about types, causes and symptoms of this condition.
Types of Athlete’s Foot
1.) Toe Web Infection
Toe web infection usually occurs in between the fourth and fifth toe (between ring toe and pinky toe). But, it can occur between other toes as well. It is the simplest type of infection to treat. In toe web infection, skin in the infected area can be dry, rough, peeling or cracking. This infected area can become host for other bacteria as well, which may further ruin the condition.
2.) Moccasin Type Infection
A moccasin type of infection is generally characterized by soreness in sole and heel area of the feet. Skin in this area becomes hard and start to crack. And, if the infection is serious, it can spread into the toenails also. This may result in weak nails or can even cause complete nail loss.
3.) Vesicular Type Infection
A vesicular type infection can be identified by blisters (or bubbles) on the feet. These blisters usually occur on the soles of the feet. However, in some cases it can also occur on the top and heel area. Damage to these blisters can let fluid spread underneath the skin and may attract other bacteria to infect the skin more.
Causes of Athlete’s Foot:
There are many fungi and bacteria present all the time on everyone’s skin. Till the time they are less in number they are not harmful. They become a threat when they get favorable condition to breed and multiply. Athlete’s foot infection is caused by fungi known as dermatophytes. When these fungus get damp, warm, dark and closed environment, it is very easy for them to grow in large numbers. There can be two causes of athlete’s foot:
A.) Direct Contact
It means when you get infected directly from touching the infected person. For example, if you touch the infected area of a person and don’t remember to wash your hands after touching.
B.) Indirect Contact
It means when you get infected by touching a contaminated surface. For example, using a contaminated objects like a cloth, towel or walking on a contaminated surface. It can spread through a swimming pool as well. Also, wearing shoes for a long time or keeping feet wet for a long time are other causes of athlete’s foot.
Symptoms Of Athletes Foot
- Itching, burning or irritation between toes.
- Itching blisters or bubble on the feet.
- Soreness of sole and heel.
- Dryness and hard skin around heels.
- Thick and weak nail
- Nail loss
- Peeling of skin between toes.
- Itching, burning sensation in heel and sole.
Home Remedies for Athlete’s Foot
1.) Keep Your Feet Dry to Cure Athletes Foot
As we know the fungus which causes athlete’s foot infection live and grown in a damp environment, so it is necessary to keep your feet dry. After you take shower, make sure you dry your feet properly. You can dry your feet using a clean and dry towel or tissue. Clean the feet, especially between toes. You can even use a hair dryer to dry your feet. Keeping your feet dry will help prevent fungus from multiplying and further ruining the condition.
2.) Tea Tree Oil and Olive Oil as a Remedy for Athlete’s Foot
Tea tree oil is considered to be a powerful antiseptic. It is one of the best home remedies for athlete’s foot. Tea tree oil help prevents the fungus from breeding and multiplying. Whereas olive oil helps to soften the hard skin caused by the infection.
- Take an equal amount of both tea tree oil and olive oil and mix them well.
- Apply this mixture on the infected area after cleaning and drying it properly.
- The olive oil will softens the skin surface to make the way for tea tree oil to get absorbed easily.
- Rub this mixture twice a day to cure athlete’s foot fast.
3.) Lavender Oil as a Remedy for Athlete’s Foot
Lavender oil is also known to be one of the best home remedies for athlete’s foot. It has excellent anti-fungal properties. It helps to prevent and eliminate the fungus from athlete’s feet. Its pleasant smell helps in eliminating stinky smell from feet.
- Take a few drops of lavender oil and add it to one tsp of any skin lotion.
- Massage it on the infected area 2 or 3 times daily.
- You can also use any vegetable oil instead of a skin lotion.
4.) Yogurt to Treat Athlete’s Foot at Home
Yogurt is considered among the best home remedies for athlete’s foot. We all know yogurt contains bacteria which are very beneficial for us. Yogurt contains live bacteria like acidophilus which are considered to be very effective for treating athlete’s foot. These healthy bacteria keep an eye on the fungus and prevent them from spreading. Thus, preventing and helping in speeding the healing process of athlete’s foot.
- Take fresh yogurt in a vessel.
- With a clean cotton, dab the infected skin.
- Before applying yogurt, wash and pat dry the affected skin.
- Dispose of the residue properly.
- Apply it regularly to cure athletes foot fast.
5.) Baking Soda as a Remedy for Athlete’s Foot
The Baking soda (which we use in the kitchen) is on of the effective home remedies for athlete’s foot treatment. Baking soda helps to reduce uncontrollable itching and burning between the toes, or on soles and heels.
- Just take take sufficient amount of baking soda and water to make a fine paste.
- Rub the paste gently on the skin without rupturing the blisters if any.
- Wash of the area properly and pat dry it.
6.) Leather Shoes to Treat Athlete’s foot
Try to wear leather shoes if you suffer from athlete’s foot condition. Leather lets the air to pass easily. Whereas other than leather, plastic or rubber shoes prevent the air from passing across and creates a humid environment inside the shoes, making your feet sweaty and favorable for fungal infection.
- Avoid wearing shoes for longer and keep them a little loose.
- Also keep two pair of shoes at least, so that you can wear them alternatively and give them time to dry.
7.) Clean Socks as a Remedy for Athlete’s Foot Treatment
Like shoes, you should also wear socks which does not hold moisture and cause your feet to sweat. Go for socks, which absorbs sweat and keep your feet breathing and sweat free.
- Try to change socks after 3-4 hour or when you feel your sweat in your feet.
- Try to avoid wearing shoes during athlete’s foot.
- You can wear sandals instead of shoes until you get rid of athletes foot.
8.) Garlic as a Remedy for Athlete’s Foot
Eating garlic can help to get rid of athlete’s foot naturally. It is considered to be one of the best remedies for athlete’s foot. Garlic is known to have excellent antibacterial properties. Instead of eating, you can also take garlic juice and can dab the infected area with it. Another way of using garlic for athlete’s foot is mentioned below.
- Take some garlic and add a few drops of olive oil in it to make a paste.
- Apply this paste on the affected part and leave it on for half an hour.
- Later, wash the skin with lukewarm water with a soap.
- Pat dry the skin properly after washing.
- As a precaution, continue this remedy for several weeks even after it heal.
9.) Tea as a Remedy to Cure Athlete’s Foot Fast
Tea contains tannic acid which has fine soothing properties. Tannic acid help in drying the feet to keep moisture away, thus preventing fungus from breeding. The anti fungal properties of tea helps to eliminate the fungus fast.
- Take 5- 10 black tea bags and put them in a warm water vessel.
- Keep your feet in it for 15-20 minutes (until water remains warm).
- Afterwards, wash your feet with lukewarm water and dry them properly.
- Tea is also one of the best remedies for athlete’s foot.
10.) Cornstarch as a Remedy for Athlete’s Foot
Corn starch is another one of the best home remedies for athlete’s foot. Rubbing cornstarch on infected skin helps to absorb moisture from it. It helps in discouraging fungus to live and multiply. To make cornstarch more effective, below is the method.
- Roast cornstarch till it turns to brown.
- Dab this brown cornstarch on your feet and toe.
- Alternatively, you can also make a paste by adding a little bit of garlic and a few drops of olive oil.
- Apply this paste on your feet and toes.
- Leave it on for no more than 30 minutes.
- later, wash and clean the area with warm soapy water.
- Dry your feet properly.
- As a precaution, repeat this process for a few weeks even after it get healed.
11.) Vinegar to Get Rid of Athlete’s Foot
This is one of the best remedies to get rid of athlete’s foot. Vinegar contains acidic properties that kill the fungus that is responsible for causing athlete’s foot. It also lowers the level of alkaline due to which infection stops spreading. Vinegar clears the excess moisture from the feet which in turn encourages the healing process. Check out the directions given below to treat athlete’s foot.
- In cup of vinegar, add one cup of water.
- Clean the affected area with an antiseptic soap and then apply this vinegar solution on the affected area directly.
- After 20 minutes, use a wet cloth to wipe the area.
- Follow this procedure two times in a day for several weeks.
12.) Salt to Cure Athlete’s Foot
This is one of the most effective home remedies to cure athlete’s foot. Salt kills the fungus that is responsible for causing such types of skin infections. It not only destroys the bacteria but at the same time stops the infection from spreading. Check out the directions given below to treat athlete’s foot.
- In a tub, pour sufficient amount of warm water. You can take approximately a quart of warm water.
- Mix six teaspoons of salt in it.
- In this water, soak your feet for about 10 to 15 minutes.
- Use a clean towel to fully dry your feet.
- Apply some baking soda between your toes so that it stays moisture free.
- Follow this remedy five times a day until the condition is cured completely.
Precaution: Do not use this remedy if you have open wounds on your feet.
13.) Olive Leaf to Get Rid of Athlete’s Foot
This is one of the excellent remedies to get rid of athlete’s foot. The antimicrobial and anti-fungal properties of olive leaf kill the fungus that is responsible for causing athlete’s foot. Check out the directions given below to cure athlete’s foot.
- Take some olive leaves and grind them to make a consistent paste.
- Apply this olive paste on the affected areas of the feet with the help of a cotton ball.
- Cover the areas with a cloth or a tape and forget about it for the next half an hour.
- Wash the feet with lukewarm water and pat the skin dry.
- Repeat this remedy two times in a day for about 2 weeks to get rid of this problem completely.
Note: Olive leaf extract is also used to treat other yeast infections and fungal infections.
14.) Onion to Treat Athlete’s Foot
This is one of the most effective home remedies to treat athlete’s foot completely. The anti-inflammatory, anti-fungal and antibiotic properties of onion make it a wonderful choice for athlete’s foot. It kills the fungus and prevents the infection from spreading. Check out the directions given below to get rid of athlete’s foot.
- Take two onions and grind them to extract out its juice. You can use a strainer to do so.
- Use an anti-fungal soak to wash your feet and then apply the onion juice on the affected areas of the feet.
- After half an hour, wash your feet in lukewarm water.
- Pat the skin dry and sprinkle some talcum powder on the affected areas of the feet.
- Repeat this remedy two times in a day continuously for one month until you get positive results.
15.) Myrrh Oil to Cure Athlete’s Foot
This is one of the excellent home remedies to cure athlete’s foot. The analgesic, anti-inflammatory, antiseptic, astringent and anti-infectious properties that makes it a perfect choice for athlete’s foot. It will also give quick relief from itching that is caused by athlete’s foot. Apart from athlete’s foot, it also helps in curing other fungal infections such as ringworm, candida, vaginal thrush, eczema etc. Check out the directions given below to treat athlete’s foot.
- Take a few drops of myrrh oil in your palm and apply it directly on the affected areas of the feet.
- Reapply the oil thrice a day to get positive results.
- Alternatively, in a tub of hot water add a few drops of myrrh oil. Soak your feet in this oil for about 15 to 20 minutes. You can even mix few drops of tea tree oil in this water.
16.) Calendula to Get Rid of Athlete’s Foot
This is one of the amazing home remedies to get rid of athlete’s foot. The astringent, anti-inflammatory and anti-microbial properties of calendula minimizes the infection, itching and inflammation caused by athlete’s foot. Calendula not only kills the fungus but also reduces the swelling that is associated by athlete’s foot. Check out the directions given below to cure athlete’s foot.
- In a jar of boiling water, add three fourth cup of dried calendula flowers.
- Allow these flowers to infuse in this water for the next one hour.
- Strain this water and place it in a foot basin.
- Soak your feet in this calendula infused water for about 20 minutes.
- Repeat this process on a regular basis to treat athlete’s foot.
17.) Green Tea to Treat Athlete’s Foot
This is one of the wonderful herbal remedies to treat athlete’s foot. It contains beneficial molecules called polyphenols which cures infection and reduces inflammation that is accompanied by athlete’s foot. The catechins and caffeine in green tea is known for its anti-microbial properties which fight off the fungus causing athlete’s foot. Check out the directions given below to cure athlete’s foot.
- In a foot bath basin keep some green tea bags.
- Pour some boiling water in the foot basin.
- Leave the green tea bags to steep.
- After few minutes, soak your feet in the basin for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Do not wash your feet simply dry it.
- Repeat this remedy daily to get rid of athlete’s foot.
18.) Mustard to Get Rid of Athlete’s Foot
This is one of the excellent home remedies to get rid of athlete’s foot. The antibacterial and anti-fungal properties that makes it an amazing choice for athlete’s foot. Sinigrin and myrosin are two compounds of mustard that increases it power. Mustard oil has germicidal and anti-inflammatory properties which makes it a good choice for athlete’s choice. Check out the directions given below to treat athlete’s foot.
- Fill a foot tub with warm water.
- Mix one tablespoon of mustard powder in this water.
- Soak your feet in the basin for about half an hour.
- Repeat this remedy every day in the morning and night to cure athlete’s foot.
19.) Grapefruit Seed Extract to Treat Athlete’s Foot
This is one of the wonderful home remedies to treat athlete’s foot. Grapefruit seed contains antimicrobial properties that treat variety of infectious diseases. It is also a powerful disinfectant that is used in treating other skin conditions also such as cold sores, dandruff and also athlete’s foot. Check out the directions given below to get rid of athlete’s foot.
- Apply grapefruit seed extract directly on the affected areas of the feet.
- Reapply it two to three times in a day until you get positive results.
- Topical application of grapefruit seed extract speeds up the healing process.
20.) Listerine to Get Rid of Athlete’s Foot
This is one of popular remedies to treat conditions like athlete’s foot, foot odor, and nail fungus. The disinfecting properties of Listerine kill the fungus that is responsible for causing athlete’s foot. Alcohol is an active ingredient in Listerine that kills the fungus so remember alcohol free Listerine will not work. The combination of alcohol and vinegar is wonderful because vinegar has acidic properties that stop the growth of fungus. It is a perfect option to cure the infection. Check out the directions given below to cure athlete’s foot.
- Mix equal amounts of Listerine and white vinegar in a foot basin filled with lukewarm water.
- Mix it well so that both the solutions mix well.
- Soak your feet in this basin for about one hour.
- Clean your feet with normal water and dry the feet with a towel.
- Repeat this method two times in a day to get rid of athlete’s foot.