This article is about different home remedies for heel spurs treatment. A heel spur is a collection of calcium deposit on the back or underside of the heel. There is a tissue present in our heel which is known as plantar fascia. This tissue connects the heel ball to the toes. When this tissue pulls away from the heel, it is known as heel spur. Most of the people suffer from heel spur. Heel spurs may cause a lot of pain and uneasiness in the feet. It can also prevent one from walking properly. A middle age person is more prone to it as compared to another age group. Also, people with flat feet and high arches develop this problem. Athletes who do a lot of running and jumping are also prone to suffer heel spurs. But, still it can happen to anyone. With some stretching exercise and little changes in the lifestyle, one can easily overcome heel spurs problem. Along with it, home remedies for heel spurs can be quite useful. Before jumping to remedies for heel spurs, let us get familiar with the causes and symptoms associated with it.
Cause of Heel Spurs:
- Running or jogging on Hard surface.
- Barefoot walking on Hard surface.
- Wearing poor fitted or torn shoes.
- Stiff muscles in calf
- Repeated stress on foot muscles and ligaments.
- Abnormally stretching
- Obesity or overweight
- Flat feet
- Wearing high heel Footwear.
Symptoms of Heel Spurs:
- Pain on standing or walking.
- Pain in feet when you wake up in the morning.
- Inflamed and irritated foot with swelling.
- Chronic pain in walking or jogging.
- Acute pain when standing up from a prolonged sitting posture.
Home Remedies for Heel Spurs Treatment:
1.) Coconut Oil as a Remedy for Heel Spurs Treatment
Coconut oil massage is one of the most effective home remedies for heel spurs treatment. Coconut oil has amazing anti-inflammatory properties which helps in reducing inflammation and soothing feet. Massaging with coconut oil helps get rid of this condition fast. Here is the method to use it.
Directions to use Coconut Oil:
- Take sufficient amount of coconut oil and warm it on a heated pan.
- Warm oil will easily get absorbed by the skin and start acting quickly in the heel spur.
- This oil also acts as a moisturizing agent which helps in making your heel spur soft and let relieve you from pain fast.
- Just massage the warm oil gently in a circular motion on the heel for a few minutes.
- Regular massaging will improve blood circulation.
- Repeat this process 2-3 times a day to avoid heel spurs.
2.) Apple Cider Vinegar as a Remedy to Get Rid Heel Spurs Naturally
Apple cider vinegar or ACV is also among the very useful home remedies for heel spurs. It effectively helps in reducing the amount of calcium deposits in the heel spurs. Thus, reducing the pain and inflammation caused due to accumulation of calcium.
Directions to Use Apple Cider Vinegar:
- Warm 1 cup of apple cider vinegar in a bowl for a few minutes.
- Pour this warm vinegar in a tub filled with warm water.
- Keep your feet in a tub for 10-15 minutes.
- Repeat twice a day.
- Alternatively, take a piece of cloth and cut it in a shape of your foot. Soak the cloth in vinegar and place the soaked sock in your shoe and wear it. Repeat this process twice a day. Also, mix 1 ½ tsp of raw apple cider vinegar and honey with warm water. Drink it twice a day for two weeks to see the result.
3.) Epsom Salt as a Remedy for Heel Spurs Treatment
Epsom salt is also helpful in soothing heel. It helps by providing quick relief from the pain. It is also helpful in reducing inflammation. It has amazing healing properties. It helps in detoxification. It also helps in enhancing muscle and nerves function.
Directions to Use Epsom Salt:
- Take 3-4 tbsp of Epsom salt and mix it in a tub of water.
- Keep your feet in the tub for 15-20 minutes.
- Gently massage your heel to release pressure.
- Apply some moisturizer on your heel.
- Repeat this process every day before sleeping.
4.) Cabbage Leaves as a Heel Spur Relief Home Remedy
Another effective home remedy for relieving pain and inflammation is cabbage leaves. It is also very useful in reducing swelling. here is the method to use it.
Directions to Use Cabbage Leaves:
- Take out some cabbage leaves and keep them under low flame.
- It will make the leaves a little softer and prevent breaking of leaves.
- Place the cabbage leaves all over the area.
- With the help of a gauze, tie the entire area so that the leaves does not move around.
- Replace the dry cabbage leaves with the fresh one.
- Rest your heel properly during the application of this remedy.
- Repeat it two times a day to avoid heel spurs.
5.) Baking Soda as a Heel Spur Relief Home Remedy
Baking soda is also among the most effective remedies for heel spurs. Crystals present in baking soda help to reduce the of excess deposit of calcium underside the heel. It is also helpful in reducing pain and inflammation.
- Mix 2 tsp of baking soda with 4 tsp of apple cider vinegar in a glass of warm water. Stir well.
- Drink it daily once for at least 2 weeks in order to maintain the pH balance in your body.
- Mix 1 tsp of baking soda and water to make a paste.
- Apply this paste on your heel spur and cover it with a gauge.
- Repeat the process twice daily.
6.) Heat Application to Get Rid of Heel Spurs
Applying heat is another quick and easy method for curing many types of inflammation in your body. Wet compression will be perfect to perform this remedy. Take some water in a bowl and boil it. Soak the clean towel in the warm water (squeeze it first). Place the towel on the heel spurs and leave it for 20 minutes. Directly pouring hot water on your feet for a few minutes is an alternative way to reduce pain and discomfort.
7.) Flax Seeds Oil as a Remedy for Heel Spur Pain
Flax seed oil is known for its alpha-linolenic acid, which is a form of an omega-3 fatty acids. It helps in reducing inflammation and pain. It also provides relief from morning stiffness caused by heel spurs. Linseed oil is another name of flax seeds oil. Here is the method to use this oil.
Directions to use Flax Seeds Oil:
- Take 1/2 cup of flax seeds in a vessel and heat them until they get warm.
- Soak a piece of cloth into this oil.
- Put this cloth over the affected area and wrap it with a piece of plastic.
- Now place the heating pad over the plastic for 2-3 hours.
- Avoid moving until the process completes.
- Repeat the process once daily to get rid of heel spurs.
8.) Ice Pack Application to Get Rid of Heel Spurs Fast
Ice can play an effective role in reducing pain and inflammation because of its cooling properties. It also helps to relax muscle and control swelling caused by heel spurs.
Directions to Use Ice Pack:
- Take a water bottle and refrigerate it for 15-20 minutes.
- Afterwards, take the bottle out and roll the bottle under your feet for 15-20 minutes.
- Repeat this process several times a day.
9.) Turmeric as a Remedy for Heel Spur Pain
Curcumin present in turmeric helps killing pain and reducing inflammation. So, daily intake of turmeric can help in curing heel spur problem. Procedure is described below.
Directions to Use Turmeric:
- Mix 2 tsp of turmeric into a glass of milk and heat it on low flame.
- Drink this twice a day for quick recovery from heel spurs.
- You can directly consume 500-100 mg of curcumin thrice a day for 2 months.
- Take medical advice before starting the dosage.
10.) Borax Solution as a Remedy for Heel Spurs
Borax solution is a combination of borax and chlorinated water, which is easily available in stores. It can help effectively in preventing pain and swelling of the heel.
Directions to Use Borax Solution:
- Mix 1 tsp of borax with 2 liters of cold water.
- Keep your foot in this solution for at least 1/2 hour before sleeping every night.
- After a few days you will notice the reduction in pain, inflammation and swelling. And, after a few weeks your heel spurs will be completely cured.