In this article, we will talk about home remedies to treat goiter naturally. One of the most frequent problem affecting a great population of the world is the goiter. It is the expansion of the thyroid gland and the overall swelling on the throat and neck area. It is known to result because of the lack of iodine in the body. The problem is a direct result of the excess release of thyroxine hormone by the thyroid gland. While swelling is considered to be one of the major symptoms of the same, there could be other properties which gets unnoticed. It is advised to consult a doctor before you begin with the home based remedies for goiter.
Before we begin with the remedies, let us look at some of its common characteristics:
Symptoms of Goiter:
- Excessive Coughing
- Feeling constricted in the throat area.
- Immense pain while swallowing
- Frequent mood swings
- Swelling of the neck area
Causes of Goiter:
- Deficiency of iodine in the body.
- Reaction to Medicines.
- People undergoing radiation therapy for cancer treatment.
- Hashimoto’s Thyroiditis and Graves’ Disease
Home Remedies to Treat Goiter Naturally
- Home Remedies to Treat Goiter Naturally
- 1.) Iodine to Treat Goiter Naturally
- 2.) Green Tea to Treat Goiter Naturally
- 3.) Watercress to Treat Goiter Naturally
- 4.) Flaxseeds to Treat Goiter Naturally
- 5.) Garlic to Treat Goiter Naturally
- 6.) Coconut Oil to Treat Goiter Naturally
- 7.) Lemon Balm to Treat Goiter Naturally
- 8.) Sorrel Leaves to Treat Goiter Naturally
- 9.) Selenium Rich Food to Treat Goiter Naturally
- 10.) Bentonite Clay to Treat Goiter Naturally
1.) Iodine to Treat Goiter Naturally
One of the major causes for goiter as discussed above is the lack of iodine in your diet. While most of us don’t seem to care about iodine as an essential nutrient but ask the countries where thyroid glands problems are on a large scale. Iodine help keeps that in check, for its is required as part of our daily diet. We don’t require it in high quantities for adult, woman and kids the value differs. Therefore, to get rid of goiter make sure that you consume food that is rich in salt. Use iodised salt to enhance the cooking as well as to get your daily intake.
2.) Green Tea to Treat Goiter Naturally
Your simple green tea can help you get rid of goiter in no time. The anti-inflammatory properties of the same have been known to cure all kinds of problems. It help stimulate the body natural immunity system and in the process helps get the endocrine gland to function properly. Make sure to drink 2 – 3 cups of green tea daily for a healthy you. You will notice with time that problems like goiter will stay far away from you.
3.) Watercress to Treat Goiter Naturally
Watercress is considered to be an excellent source of iodine. It is for the same reason considered to be effective for goiter. Not only that, it is rich in other several nutrients, along with being an antioxidant in nature. Overall it is beneficial for your thyroid gland. To use it to cure goiter, just follow the steps below:
- Mash and grind the watercress to form a paste like a solution.
- When prepared apply this paste directly on the swelled up area of the neck.
- Keep it there for at least 15 to 20 minutes before washing it off.
- Alternatively, you could also consume watercress juice mixed with water for efficient goiter treatment.
4.) Flaxseeds to Treat Goiter Naturally
One of the other most popular herb known to treat problems related to endocrine gland is flaxseed. The flaxseed is considered to be rich in nutrients like antioxidants, just like the above one. The anti-inflammatory properties of flaxseed are the one that comes to your rescue here. For it will help get rid of the swelling on the neck. All you have to do is to prepare flaxseed paste and then just apply it on your neck. Keep it there for some time and wash it off with cold water. There will be instant relief from goiter.
5.) Garlic to Treat Goiter Naturally
Let’s talk about the healthy properties of garlic. Wait, we’ll have to write a whole article about it. Such is the power of this herb. It is for the same reason that garlic can also be used to cure goiter. It is known to promote the production of glutathione in the body, which results in the thyroid functioning properly. Not only that, it even helps get rid of the swelling of the neck. You could use garlic as part of your cooking or could consume it in the form of supplements. For the hardcore ones can consume it directly, first thing in the morning.
6.) Coconut Oil to Treat Goiter Naturally
One of the most popular of all the essential oils has to be coconut oil. For goiter, coconut oil is effective for it possesses elevated levels of lauric acid, which when you consume are known to be antibacterial whilst also getting rid of the inflammation on the neck. You could either use coconut oil for cooking or alternatively could massage it over the swelled up area for fast relief. Continue the treatment for a few days to see the effects.
7.) Lemon Balm to Treat Goiter Naturally
This herb is highly underrated but beats everyone when it comes to healthy properties. The lemon balm is known to help treat goiter by slowing down the functioning of the pituitary gland. To use it effectively, follow the steps below:
- Prepare lemon balm tea by adding lemon balm leaves in hot water.
- Cover the solution and let it simmer.
- Add some honey for taste and consume it daily for efficient goiter treatment.
8.) Sorrel Leaves to Treat Goiter Naturally
While not many of you know about this one but sorrel leaves for goiter is effective. Also known as spinach dock, it can be used by following these steps:
- Mash up a few sorrel leaves and prepare a paste.
- Then apply it directly on the swelled up area of the neck.
- Keep it there for 25 minutes and wash it off.
9.) Selenium Rich Food to Treat Goiter Naturally
Your thyroid gland, just like iodine also requires selenium to function at its full potential. Some of the foods that are naturally rich in this mineral are Brazil nuts, shellfish, sunflower seeds, onions, eggs, poultry, and fish. Make sure to include them as part of your daily diet to relieve you of goiter.
10.) Bentonite Clay to Treat Goiter Naturally
Not your ordinary clay but bentonite clay. The steps to do it are as simple as it can be. Just mix a little water and bentonite clay to prepare a paste. It helps cool down the inflamed area and reduces the swelling. Apply the paste on the neck and keep it there for 30 minutes. Wash it off with cold water for instant relief.