This article is about the ways to get rid of hornets. Getting rid of hornets or wasps is not a difficult task. However, before looking for the remedies to get rid of hornets, it is very important to know the main cause of the wasp. Make sure that the hornets do not build their nest in your area. And, if they do so you can seek professionals help or can follow below-listed remedies to get rid of hornets.
What are Hornets?
Hornets are also known as wasp and yellow jackets. There are nearly 20 hornet species. The bald-faced hornets are found in North America. Hornets construct hives by chewing wood into a papery construction pulp. These hives can contain thousands of hornets or wasps. Removing their hives can be a harmful task because while doing so they feel threatened and become aggressive and so they may sting you. The sting is painful. It turns red and gets inflamed. So, stingers should be treated on time with some ointments or cream. To know more about the treatment of hornet’s or bee sting, read this article. Their diet consists of insects and plant nectar which they consume to fulfill their dietary needs.
Best Methods to Get Rid of Hornets:
1.) Fake Nest to Get Rid of Hornets Fast
Hornets are very territorial creatures. They do not build a nest if they see that there is already a nest in the same vicinity. So to prevent the hornets from building a nest, you can put a fake hornet nest which is available online or you can make it own.
Steps to Use Fake Nest to Control Hornets Fast:
- To make a nest, you need a paper grocery bag and some good twine.
- Then crumple up the bag and hang it near the existing nest.
- When hornets see the fake nest, then they don’t near to your home.
2.) Block-Off the Underground Nests to Remove Hornets Fast
Underground nest are easy to destroy as compared to hanging nest.
- All you have to do is block the entrance of hornets to the nest.
- First, find all the entrance and exits of the nest and then cover them with a large bowl.
- Leave the bowl for a few weeks.
- Before covering it with the bowl pour soapy water down on of the entrances.
- This helps to kill all the hornets inside the nest.
3.) Spray Nests With a Non-Toxic Hornet Killer
The pesticides can be very dangerous for pets, children and plants. So instead of using the pesticides you can make a solution which will kill the hornets and won’t harm others.
Steps to Use Non-Toxic Hornets Killer to Kill Hornets:
- Take a hose sprayer and fill it with dish soap and water.
- Wear protective clothing and stand at some distance from the nest.
- Then, spray the soapy water in the nest.
- The soap will stick to their wings and put them down. Then they will die off.
4.) Traps to Get Rid of Hornets Fast
There are various glass wasp traps that come handy in reducing hornet populations in their area.
Steps to Use Traps to Treat Hornets Infestation Fast:
- All you have to do is place the trap around the nest of hornets.
- Place a bait in it to attract the hornets.
- Use savory bait such as tuna as they attract the hornets, yellow jackets, and wasps but not honeybees.
- Glass traps are very pretty but you can also make your own trap by using a plastic bottle.
- You can make bait by using mashed grapes, sugar and lemon juice, kokanee beer or coolers, sugar, and vinegar etc.
5.) Pesticide Spray to Get Rid of Hornets Fast
- Buy an aerosol spray pesticide which is designed for killing hornets from your local market.
- Before using this pesticide, wear protective cloth.
- Now, spray the pesticide on the bottom opening of the nest.
- Do this for 10 to 15 seconds to clean the area.
- Leave the area for a night.
- In the next morning, you will see that the hornets are dead.
- Now, dispose these dead hornets and broken nests immediately.
6.) Destroy Hornets Nests at Night
If you want to get rid of hornet’s nest, then it is best to do at night. In the night, hornets are least active, they are less aggressive and that’s why their reaction time is slower. To view their nest don’t use a regular flashlight since they will feel threatened and may sting you. So use a red or amber colored light for creating feck night. Or you can destroy their nest early in the morning.
7.) Don’t Give Foods to Get Rid of Hornets
Hornets are attracted to food. They like foods which are rich in sugar and meat products. If you have a hornet or wasp problem, don’t put food outside. Try to avoid white or yellow clothes and scent of perfume especially at the affected place.
8.) Grow Plants to Remove Hornets Naturally
Plants such as eucalyptus, wormwood, citronella and mint are natural hornets deterrents. So grow up the plants in your garden so that hornets stay away from your house.
9.) Make a Vinegar Trap to Get Rid of Hornets Fast
Since vinegar has a strong odor, that’s why it work as an insect deterrent.
Steps to Use Vinegar Trap to Prevent Hornets Naturally:
- To make the traditional wasp trap, cut the neck of the soda bottle.
- Place the neck part on the base of the bottle, to create a tunnel from where wasp can enter inside.
- Fill the bottle with the vinegar, dish soap and meat to attract them and hang it around the hornet’s nest.
- After seeing the bait, the hornets will enter the trap and won’t come out because of the pungent odor of vinegar.
10.) Cut the Branch of the Tree to Get Rid of Hornets
Though it is a risky remedy, however, it is as effective as the above remedies are.
Steps to Use Branch to Control the Hornets Infestation Fast:
- Cut the Branch of the tree on which the nest is hung.
- Before cutting the branch place a huge dark-colored polyethylene or bag beneath the nest so that they can fall directly in the polythene.
- Make sure, that you wear protective clothes otherwise the hornets will sting you. You can also add a solution of vinegar, liquid soap, and water in it. Tie the bag properly.
- The hornets will die due to the strong smell. Later you can burn it.
- Your garbage cans should be tightly sealed.
- Don’t keep sugary drinks, proteins and other foods outside as they can attract hornets or wasps.
- Stay away from leafy plants and bushes where you can find hornet’s nest.
- If you are allergic to hornet’s sting, then you can call a professional exterminator to kill the hornets.
- You can use mint based hornets killers as they are very effective and less dangerous to you and your pets.
- Borax is also helpful to kill the hornets.
- Always wear protective clothes while performing any treatment to kill the hornets.