In this article we will discuss different home remedies to get rid of spiders. Spiders are the most common insects found in almost everyone’s house. Spiders mostly build their web where they find the possibility of finding food the most. If there are tiny insects crawling in your house, it is much possible that there will be spiders too. Although spiders does not harm humans and mind their own business. But, they can can bite if they feel threat to themselves. Most of the spiders bite do not cause much harm, but bite from black widow or brown recluse is poisonous that can make you really sick. Brown recluse are among the most commons spiders found in central and mid-western states of US. The spider mainly resides under old boards, storage rooms, attics, etc. There are many chemical treatments available to get rid of spiders, but they can have some side effects too. Below we have made a list of home remedies that are safe and effective to get rid of spiders.
Remedies to Get Rid of Spiders in Home
- Remedies to Get Rid of Spiders in Home
- 1.) Avoid Clutter to Get Rid of Spiders Naturally
- 2.) Clean Your House to Get Rid of Spiders Fast and Naturally
- 3.) Seal the Cracks and Holes to Get Rid of Spiders in Home
- 4.) Peppermint Oil to Get Rid of Spiders in Your Room
- 5.) Vinegar to Get Rid of Spiders
- 6.) Glue Straps to Get Rid of Spiders in Your Room
- 7.) Stick to Get Rid of Spiders Fast
- 8.) Keep Vegetation Away to Get Rid of Spiders Outside
- 9.) Avoid Outdoor Lighting to Prevent Spiders
- 10.) Pest Control to Get Rid of Spiders
1.) Avoid Clutter to Get Rid of Spiders Naturally
First and most important thing to get rid of spiders is to keep your home free of clutter. As mice and cockroaches, spiders to find clutter comfortable for them to live and breed. If you have area full of clutter in and around your home, you are giving more space for spiders to live.
- Do not keep old, useless furniture like chairs, table, couches etc. in your home. These furniture gets dust easily which makes easy for spiders to inhabit and multiply. Either remove them or keep them clean in order to get rid of spiders.
- Avoid keeping your clothes, shoes, socks, papers and other items under your bed or couch as it might attract spiders to inhabit.
- Don’t keep empty bottles, cans, old newspapers in your house as spider may find it comfortable to reside.
2.) Clean Your House to Get Rid of Spiders Fast and Naturally
Everyone need food to live and survive. Spiders are dependent on insects, and insects depends on sugar, crumbs and other house food residue. In order to get rid of spider you need to keep your kitchen and other places clean and clear of crumbs and other food remains. Also, preserve food in containers to avoid insects feeding on it.
- Use a vacuum cleaner to keep your house clean. Look for the areas where you usually encounter insects and spiders.
- Clean carpets once a week.
- Clean your refrigerator weekly.
- If you get rid of food residue, you will get rid of insects which will discourage spiders from residing in your house due to lack of food.
3.) Seal the Cracks and Holes to Get Rid of Spiders in Home
There can be many cracks and holes making way for insects and spiders to enter inside. Look out for these places and seal them properly. Do not keep doors and windows opened unnecessarily as it can also make way for spiders and insects.
- Keep a check on chimneys, cutters, pipes and vents.
- Looks for any holes or cracks around doors and windows.
4.) Peppermint Oil to Get Rid of Spiders in Your Room
Peppermint oil is an effective way to keep spiders, mice, insects, etc. away from your home. Spiders are not able to tolerate the smell of peppermint and try to keep a distance from it. So, spraying it to possible hideout might do the trick. You can make a peppermint spray yourself. Here are the methods.
- Take a spray bottle, fill it with water.
- Add 1 tsp of peppermint oil in water.
- Shake it well before using.
- Now, spray it on cracks, holes and other prone places.
- Soak some cotton ball in peppermint oil and place them on the possible entrances like cracks and holes.
- Instead of peppermint oil you can use tea tree or eucalyptus oil as well. They possess the same effect on spiders as peppermint oil.
5.) Vinegar to Get Rid of Spiders
Vinegar solution is another useful home remedy to get rid of spiders. Vinegar is acidic in nature as it contains acetic acid. Acetic acid is known to be harmful for spiders as it burns them to death. Here are the methods.
- Just add equal amount of vinegar and water in a spray bottle.
- Shake it well and spray in and around possible hideouts to eliminate spiders.
- Like peppermint oil, soak some cotton balls in vinegar for a few minutes.
- Stuff the soaked cotton balls in the holes and cracks around your house where spiders usually come.
6.) Glue Straps to Get Rid of Spiders in Your Room
There can be different types of spiders present in your home. So it is necessary to know the type which will make it easier to eliminate spiders. Glue straps can come handy to get rid of most of the spiders.
- Take some effective sticky glue and place it around the possible hidden areas of spiders.
- When spider will walk through this sticky path, they will struggle to get out of it.
- Keep it overnight and see in the morning for these spiders stuck in glue.
- Clean and dispose of the trap.
7.) Stick to Get Rid of Spiders Fast
Take a long stick such as a wooden rod. Broom or mop rod. On one end, tie a piece of towel with a tape. Tape it tightly so that it does not slip from its place. This stick will help get rid of spiders and spider web.
- Search for the possible places of spiders.
- Using the stick remove the web and eliminate the spiders by crushing them against the wall.
- Spin the stick to remove the web.
- You can also spray some insecticide on the towel end of the stick to kill the spiders.
- Clear the stick from the collected web and spiders.
- Keep the stick handy for future use.
8.) Keep Vegetation Away to Get Rid of Spiders Outside
In order to avoid spiders, you should replace the vegetation. This is because Vegetation draws spiders attention towards it. It serves as a perfect hideout for spiders. In search of food, they crawl to your home from vegetation.
- Try to keep vegetation far from your house exterior.
- Keep surrounding of your house clear of leaves, stones, mulch etc. as it can act as host for spiders to live.
9.) Avoid Outdoor Lighting to Prevent Spiders
Use of outdoor lights attracts insects, flies hovering around it. It allows spiders to feast on these insects and gives a hiding place for them.
- Avoid unnecessary use of light, whether it is indoor or outdoor. Indoor light shines through the windows and attracts insects on it.
- Replace your light to yellow sodium vapor lights. This light draws less attention of insects and thus keep you away from the spiders.
10.) Pest Control to Get Rid of Spiders
As we know spider feast on insects for food. A lot of spiders in your home means there are lots of insects crawling in your house. This is a serious problem and needs to be solved completely. Therefore, having a pest control at home is the best way to eliminate insects from your house. This in turn will help to get rid of spiders in your home.