After writing how to catch a mouse?, how to get rid of cockroaches?, and how to get rid of bats?, we are now writing how to get rid of mice fast? They easily adapt into any house and once they find a little food and water, they will never leave that place again. But the truth is, no one wants to share their home with mice. As they contaminate the food with their feces and some people are even allergic to their urine. And on the top of it, mice breed prolifically, so a few mice can turn into dozens in just a few weeks. Mice can also cause other diseases like plague, leptospirosis and rat bite fever. In this article, we will discuss the best ways to get rid of mice fast. Their presence in our home can be great loss, when they put their teeth into something. But a lot of us don’t need to turn to conventional traps or rodenticides, which pose a severe risk to children, pets, other wildlife, and the environment. There are several home remedies available out there to get rid of mice naturally.
Remedies to Get Rid of Mice Fast:
- Remedies to Get Rid of Mice Fast:
- 1.) Peppermint Tea Bags For Mice
- 2.) Take Help From Peppermint Oil
- 3.) Use The Cloves Oil
- 4.) Make Use Of Mothballs
- 5.) Plaster of Paris and Cocoa Powder
- 6.) Use The Steel Wool
- 7.) Use The Onions
- 8.) Snap Traps to Control Mice
- 9.) Get a Cat to Control Mice Infestation
- 10.) Mice Glue Board
- 11.) Keep Your Home Clean
- 12.) Use The Steel Containers
- 13.) Cat Urine and Snake Poo
- 14.) Make Use Of Aluminum Foil
- 15.) Seal all Cracks and Holes
- Other Useful Tips to Prevent Mouse Infestation:
1.) Peppermint Tea Bags For Mice
The gratifying, refreshing and tangy smell of peppermint, which is loved by humans is the same smell that is loathed by the mice. Mice are not fan of mint fragrance, try to create your own peppermint mice repellent to get rid of mice fast. This is one of the most effective ways to get rid of mice naturally and easily.
- Boil two cups of water in a bowl for some time, then turn off the heat. Now add 4-6 peppermint tea bags in the bowl. Allow the peppermint tea to dip for 6 hours.
- Mix 2 teaspoons of dish-washing liquid, so that the mixture will stick to the floors for a prolonged period of time.
- Fill a solution in a spray bottle with the peppermint tea and spray the kitchen slabs, as well as any other areas you presume mice are entering your home.
2.) Take Help From Peppermint Oil
Peppermint oil can act as an easy and very effective method to get rid of mice in the home. Peppermint oil has a strong smell, which is quite pleasant to us. But, this is not the same in the case of mice, mice repel with peppermint smell. Instead of pleasing, the peppermint smell irritates and keeps them away. This mint smell is too strong for them to go near to it. This oil also helps to get rid of bacterial infection in your house.
- Soak some cotton ball in the peppermint oil. Keep these soaked cotton balls around the places, where mice usually come. This is very easy trick and wont harm anyone in your house. You can easily buy peppermint oil from your local market.
- Other than that, you can plant peppermint shrubs around your house entrance and where mice are more prone to enter from. This is one of the most convenient way to prevent mice entering your house.
3.) Use The Cloves Oil
Cloves are yet another effective home remedy to eliminate mice infestation. Now, this is because mice do not like the strong smell of clove and thus refrains from coming nearby. The process of using clove is exactly same as peppermint oil.
- Put 20 drops over a cotton ball and place it on the area around the house, where the infestation of the mice is more. Be sure you don’t have any pets roaming around that would swallow it.
- If you’re using whole cloves, cover them with an old piece of cotton cloth instead of using a cotton ball.
4.) Make Use Of Mothballs
Mice generally hate the smell of mothballs, like peppermint. Mothballs can be really effective to get rid of mice. However, they can be toxic in nature. Take extra care while placing them around the home. You need to make sure that small children and pet do not come into contact with them.
- The safe way to use mothballs is by putting them in a container with air holes. This will do the trick without any worry.
- The best place to put the containers is around the areas, where mice are frequent seen such as the basement or underneath the sink. Repeat the remedy as required and it will help you to get rid of mice from your house.
5.) Plaster of Paris and Cocoa Powder
This is a traditional method to get rid of mice infestation. It is effective because as soon as the mice feed on POP, their body dehydrates at an extreme and they search for water. As soon as they drink water, the pop starts flowing and completely clogs their internal system, thus resulting in their death. You have to make a homemade mouse poison using plaster of paris and cocoa powder.
- Mix equal amount of cocoa powder to the dry plaster of paris powder, you can also take chocolate milk powder instead of cocoa powder. Sprinkle the mixture where mice are frequent.
- The mice will be attracted to the cocoa or chocolate powder to eat it. Make sure the mixture is dry.Soon after eating the powder they will search for water and eventually die after drinking water.
6.) Use The Steel Wool
Remembered those holes and cracks, we have talked about earlier. If you doesn’t have something reliable at your home then you can use steel wool, which is used to clean the utensil. Steal wool is great option to get rid of mice. As mice cant chew through the wires and it actually give them pain and irritation. To ward off mice, take some steel wool and simply stick it on any holes, crevices or cracks to keep out mice. You can also use bit of silicone to keep it in the place.
7.) Use The Onions
Onions are another unpleasant smell that irritates mice. The onions remedy is little bit tricky as the onion will rot if left out for several days. It also result as a toxin for some animals like cats and dogs. The pungent smell of onion will make the mice running the other way. Also, make sure that you place the onion on right place and in a right way, where pets can’t reach it.
8.) Snap Traps to Control Mice
The mice will have a fast speed, and you can use the trap to keep away the mouse, since the traps are so cheap. Despite they look cruel, they kill the mouse instantly. They are more reliable than poison if you have small children or pets. An extra benefit is that the dying mouse cannot go into your walls and die, creating a terrible smell that can persist for weeks. Snap traps do offer some small threat to humans and pets, though. They can also leave deformed messes, when they catch and kill the mice.
9.) Get a Cat to Control Mice Infestation
By far the most common and natural way to let the mice community know they are not welcome is to get a cat. Cats are one of the ways to ward off mice. Cats are the best for catching mice. As they love to eat mice. It is always said that, when the cats and humans got together through the discovery, they always better their diet by keeping the grain stores mouse-free.
Mice do not love to be eaten by cats. A good cat will pick out your mouse population in very small time and control any new mice from moving in. If you will try this method with your cat, then make sure to remove all baits, traps and poison from the house, better to keep them locked away in order for the safety of your cat and family members.
10.) Mice Glue Board
The principal way to get rid of mice fast in your house is by using mouse poison. But, today there are numerous poisons that can assist you to exterminate mice to the seventh generation. If you are worried about the use poison for any reason, get specific glue for the mice.
- You can easily buy mice glue boards online or any local market and place them in the home. The mice will stick, and then can be tossed together with pieces of cardboard.
- Leave them in a place far away from your place. This will keep them from coming back again. Repeat the remedy as required to get rid of mice from your house.
11.) Keep Your Home Clean
If there is nothing to eat then the chance of mice infestation is less likely to occur. Store all food items properly in an airtight container and in the area that are protected from mouse attack. Wipe off all the regularly used counters with disinfect and household cleaner in order to get rid of mice fast. Make sure, you don’t leave your dirty dishes out overnight to attract mice. Also, clean the sink and kitchen surface properly. Check your dinning area, even a small piece is like a party for mice. In this way, you will get rid of mice fast and naturally.
12.) Use The Steel Containers
Mice have the capability to eat through certain plastics, cardboard, and other forms of the box to get at food. If you place your food items in a container made up of steel then it will be the safest way to protect your food items. Steel containers will cut down the mice food supply. Don’t leave any food out so mice will not get any food and they will not invade your home. Make sure to not leave out pet food. Take out any food that your pet hasn’t eaten quickly after its meal. Mice are excellent climbers capable of climbing to the top of the refrigerator. So the top refrigerator is not a safe place for food storage either to get rid of mice fast.
13.) Cat Urine and Snake Poo
This seems strange, but it really works. Mice are generally scared of both cats and snakes, and so it’s only expected that their excrement sends the fear in their tiny hearts. This is also because snakes and cats feed on these tiny creatures, thus it is natural for the mice to get a mini heart attack on witnessing their enemy’s presence under the same roof.
- Place litter boxes in crucial areas of your home. Encourage your cat to really use it because the litter box without urine is of no use.
- Purchase some snake scat from the pet shop. Repeat as required. This will help you to get rid of mice from your house.
14.) Make Use Of Aluminum Foil
You can’t cover the whole house with aluminum foil. But if you’re getting them on the counter-tops then cover these with the foil. Place the foil at night right before going to bed and fold up in the next morning. You can re-use the aluminum foil, but our advice is against it as mouse did track their little glove all over the foil. Repeat the remedy as required and this will help you to get rid of mice from your house.
15.) Seal all Cracks and Holes
All possible entry points should be sealed off, so that mice cannot enter your home. Seal off holes, cracks or crevices with something firm, like iron or concrete. Check your home carefully for everything the mice could get into. Tape off gas lines, pipes, and drier vents. Mice can use those entry points as a roadway to get into your home.
Put a steel wool inside the pipe before you seal it off. Steel wool pads will block the mice from utilizing the hole to get back into your house. It will add an extra component of security if the mice are tenacious and resilient. Mice can enter through holes as small as a pencil eraser, which means that total coverage of any split is necessary to create an effective seal.
Other Useful Tips to Prevent Mouse Infestation:
- Make sure that all the entry points are blocked. These creepy creatures can even enter through the smallest openings. Make sure that there are no small gaps and openings. You can use plaster or steel wool to block all such points.
- Use a dustbin with a closed lid. Properly pack the garbage and regularly dispose of the rotten food and other garbage. You need to do diligent cleaning because mice can survive on little food also.
- Most of the rodents enter the house through the roof. So it is important to check the chimneys, ventilators, and shingles for any gaps and leaks. Make sure that the chimneys are capped so that mice doesn’t enter the room.
- Make sure that no leftover food is lying on the kitchen slab or on the table. Store in the tight containers or keep it in the refrigerator.
- If you have a garden, then it is necessary to inspect it. Make sure there is no rubbish piled in your garden. It can become a living location for rats.
- Leaking pipes and clogged drains are the perfect breeding sites for the mice. So make sure all the pipes are sealed and drains are clean.
- Collecting clothes or newspaper stacks in one place invite the squeaky creatures to start new colonies. So don’t collect items in one place that you do not use frequently.