Tooth enamel is a thin and hard outer covering of the tooth. The outermost layer of your tooth is known as the Enamel that acts as a strong protecting barrier and also plays a very important role in protecting your teeth from damage. Enamel is made up of minerals and can vary in color such as yellow and grayish white in color. There are various factors that can damage the tooth enamel such as fruit drinks, genetics, dry mouth, environmental factors and a diet high in sugar and starches. While having a problem in tooth enamel, you feel sensitivity, cracks, discoloration, and cupping. But how can you protect and restore tooth enamel? It is very simple, you need to avoid some foods causing enamel erosion, getting regular dental checkups and by maintaining oral hygiene you can restore tooth enamel.
In this article we will provide you with some methods to build-up and restore a damaged tooth enamel. This is to makes it easier for you to find a few effective ways that will help you to fight and cure your oral health problems.
Symptoms of Tooth Enamel Erosion:
- Painful sensitivity
- Cracks and chips
Causes of Tooth Enamel Erosion:
- Dry mouth
- Fruit drinks
- Gastrointestinal problems
- A diet high in sugar and starches
- Environmental factors
Best Remedies to Restore Tooth Enamel:
1.) Make Your Own Toothpaste to Restore Tooth Enamel
Make your own toothpaste and avoid commercial toothpastes that contain various chemicals and are easily available in the market. Homemade toothpaste helps to activate salivation, heal cavities and also restore the damaged tooth enamel.
Steps to Make Toothpaste:
- Mix 1 tsp of baking soda, half tsp of sea salt, 1 drop of peppermint, clove and a few drops of water.
- Combine these ingredients in a bowl and make a thick paste.
- Then put it on your brush and brush your teeth.
- Repeat the remedy regularly until you get the desired results.
2.) Fermented Cod Liver Oil and Vitamin D to Rebuild Tooth Enamel
Fermented cod liver oil is high in vitamins, including vitamin D. Vitamin D plays a vital role to heal cavities and is also good for building strong bones and teeth. So, consume it daily in your meal, which is very helpful to rebuild tooth enamel as it is an anti-inflammatory agent. For vitamin D, sunlight is great and you can also take vitamin D supplements.
3.) Maintaining Good Oral Hygiene to Build Up Tooth Enamel
Brush and floss your teeth daily and after meals can maintain restorations, gums, and health of your teeth. Control intake of sugary, acidic foods and beverages. Eat a healthy and balanced diet. Don’t use toothpaste and mouthwashes that contain alcohol.
Avoid the habit of grinding and clenching your teeth as it may damage your enamel. Get regular check-ups and teeth cleaning from your dentist. Chew sugar-free gum, as it increases your saliva and prevent tooth decay.
4.) Vitamin K1 and Vitamin K2 to Restore Tooth Enamel
Vitamin K1 and Vitamin K2 helps to stop tooth decay and also helps to meet the mineral requirements of your tooth. It also heals 48 cavities with new tooth enamel. This makes these vitamins as an essential remedy to restore tooth enamel.
- Sources of vitamin K1 are cheese, eggs, butter, fish, and kale.
- Sources of vitamin K2 are fermented foods, annatto miso, etc. You can include these sources in your diet.
5.) Avoid Cavity Causing Foods to Repair Tooth Enamel
Avoid cavity-causing foods such as white flour and white sugar because they are nutritionally depleted, void of fiber, vitamins and minerals and they don’t nourish your teeth. Without nutrients, your teeth get weaken and are more prone to cavities.
A Glycemic index (GI) of 87 present in white rice and GI of 50 present in brown rice helps to break down your body and increases the blood sugar level. So avoid these foods.
6.) Avoid Sugar to Restore Tooth Enamel Fast
Avoid foods, which can destroy your enamel such as white sugar, sucrose, corn syrup, glucose, maltitol, dextrose, and fructose. Because they contain high sugar alcohols that proves to be harmful for your tooth enamel.
These foods also contain chemicals like calcium hydroxide and phosphoric acids that harm the enamel and makes it prone to damage. Also, they do not have any nutritional value which can prove to be healthy for your body.
7.) Oil Pulling to Restore Tooth Enamel Fast
Oil pulling is the best way to prevent your teeth from destroying the enamel. Use sesame oil rather than coconut oil for best results. Take 1 tsp of sesame oil in your mouth after brushing your teeth. For 15 to 20 minutes, swish in and out of your teeth. When this oil mixes with saliva it will turn into milky white. Do it daily for to keep your teeth strong and maintains the enamel.
Steps to Use Oil Pulling to Get Tooth Enamel Back:
- Take 1 tsp of sesame oil in your mouth after brushing your teeth.
- For 15 to 20 minutes, swish in and out of your teeth.
- When this oil mixes with saliva it will turn into milky white.
- Do it daily to keep your teeth strong and maintain the enamel.
8.) Minerals and Alkalize Water to Restore Tooth Enamel
Those who drink mineral-less water will suffer from tooth loss. So, to keep your teeth strong and restore enamel use mineral and alkaline water.
Steps to Use Minerals and Alkalize Water to Get Tooth Enamel Back:
- Use crystal energy to alkalize water.
- Pour 9 drops of crystal energy in a glass of water to alkalize water.
- You can also use baking soda instead of using crystal energy.
9.) Fluoride Toothpaste to Restore Tooth Enamel
Fluoride makes teeth more resistant to acid and also help to stop tooth decay. Brush your teeth with fluoride toothpaste 2 times a day, which restore tooth enamel and prevent from further loss.
You can also get commercial fluoride toothpaste from grocery stores or pharmacy stores. Excessive use of fluoride may lead to oral problems like enamel fluorosis. You can also use the commercial fluoride mouthwash for gargling.
10.) Consult a Dentist to Restore Tooth Enamel
If the above treatments will not work, then consult a dentist to restore your enamel. Treatment depends on the level of enamel erosion and cavities. Treatments include dental crowns, fillings or veneers.
Dental crowns cover your teeth and restore them to their original shape. The Dental veneers are glued to the front of the teeth. Dental fillings, repair cavities and helps to contribute to enamel decay.
Useful Tips to Prevent Tooth Erosion:
- After eating or drinking beverages or foods with a high acidic content, wash your mouth properly with water to balance the acidic effects.
- Chew some sugar-free gum to get rid of dry mouth and increase the flow of saliva. It also helps to re-mineralize your teeth.
- Use a straw while drinking carbonated beverages or acidic substances.
- To maintain your dental hygiene, use a soft toothbrush with a toothpaste that contains fluoride as this will help to reduce tooth sensitivity.
- Don’t grind your teeth as grinding will damage your tooth enamel.
- Avoid toothpaste and mouthwash that contain alcohol.