This article is about home remedies for poison ivy rash. Poison ivy is a plant which is found in the North America and Asia. The plant contains a clear liquid compound known as urushiol. It is an allergen which causes allergy and rashes among humans and animals when they come in contact with the plant. The rash can also appear due to inhaling the smoke from burning poison ivy plant. The itching or severe inflammation of the skin is known as contact dermatitis. The reaction may not be visible at the first time when your skin touches poison ivy. However, the immune system will build up a sensitivity and react next when the body comes in the contact with poison ivy. The problem can worsen if it is not treated at the time. Read the article, to know more about poison ivy and home remedies for poison ivy treatment.
Symptoms of Poison Ivy
- Skin burns
Home Remedies for Poison Ivy
1.) Epsom Salt as a Home Remedy for Poison Ivy
Epsom salt is anti-inflammatory. It soothes the affected skin. Regular application of Epsom salt helps to eliminate the rashes and bruises. It also works as a pain killer.
How to Use Epsom Salt?
- Mix a tablespoon of salt in the water. Dip the affected part in this solution.
- Or, soak a washcloth in this solution wring the excess water out of it and place it over the affected part.
- Repeat this remedy to cure the rash.
2.) Buttermilk to Treat Poison Evy Rash
Buttermilk or yogurt can also help you to get rid of poison ivy rash. Apply buttermilk directly on the rashes. Consuming buttermilk regularly will also heal the rash. You can also take a bath with buttermilk. For best result add sea salt in the buttermilk and then apply it. It is the most common remedy for poison ivy.
3.) Apple Cider Vinegar to Cure Poison Ivy Rash
Apple cider vinegar heals the rash and draws out the poison. So, the moment you get a rash applies vinegar over it. Apple cider vinegar also eliminates the oil, which is released by the allergen so you can also take a bath with it.
How to Use ACV?
- Fill a bucket with water and pour vinegar into it.
- Alternatively, you can apply dilute vinegar on the skin.
4.) Honey to Treat the Poison Ivy
Honey is an ideal home remedy for poison ivy to treat other skin allergies. It treats the poison ivy rash and moisturise your skin. It is one of the immediate remedies for all types of rashes.
How to Use Honey?
- Apply a thin layer of fresh and natural honey over the rash and wash it when it gets dry.
- Apply the honey to the affected part 2-3 times a day.
5.) Banana Peel to Get Rid of Poison Ivy
Banana contains skin problems healing properties. It cures the rash and provide you relief from inflammation and pain.
How to Use Banana?
- Peel a banana and mash the soft part of it and apply it on the affected area.
- Wash it when it’s dry and repeat the application to treat the rash.
6.) Cucumber to Cure Poison Ivy Rash
Cucumber is considered as one of the best household remedies for poison ivy rashes and bruises. It has a cooling property.
How to Use Cucumber?
- Peel the cucumber and grate it.
- Extract the water from the grated part and apply it to the rash.
- You can also apply the slices of the cucumber.
- These will soothe your skin and treat the irritation.
7.) Rubbing Alcohol as a Remedy for Poison Ivy
Rubbing alcohol is also one of the immediate remedies for poison ivy rash. It heals the rashes the on the spot.
How to Use Rubbing Alcohol?
- If you come in contact with poison ivy, Immediately rub alcohol over it.
- It will instantly eliminate the oil and give instant relief.
- For the immediate use, you can also apply hand sanitizers since it also contains alcohol.
8.) Lemon Juice to Get Rid of Poison Ivy Rash
If you don’t find any other home remedy for poison ivy, just rub lemon over it. Lemon has acid, which reduces the effect of toxic oils. Rubbing lemon directly can lead itching so you can add water in lemon juice and then apply it to the rash.
9.) Ice Pack to Cure Poison Ivy Rash
Ice pack gives you instant relief. It does not let the allergy spread. It increase the blood circulation and heals the symptoms of the poison ivy rash.
How to Apply Ice Pack?
- Wash the affected area properly with running water.
- This will reduce itchiness.
- Then take some ice cubes and wrap them in a muslin cloth and rub it on the affected area.
- You can also put ice cubes directly on the wound.
- It is an instant home remedy for poison ivy.
10.) Aloe-Vera Gel as a Remedy for Poison Ivy
Aloe-Vera also has a cooling property. It is a one of the versatile home remedies. It soothes the affected skin and provides instant relief.
How to Use Aloe-Vera?
- Peel upper part of the Aloe-Vera with the help of spoon scratches the gel.
- You can also directly apply Aloe-Vera on the affected part after peeling it.
11.) Potato and Oatmeal Pastes to Cure Poison Ivy
Potato and oatmeal are anti-inflammatory. Both the remedies works as a wonder when combined together.
How to Make Potato and Oatmeal Paste?
- Grate the potato and add oatmeal in it.
- Apply the mixture on the wounds.
- You can also apply potato and oatmeal individually on the affected area.
- Before applying the paste don’t forget to clean the infected part.
12.) Mint Tea Bath as a Remedy for Poison Ivy
Wash the affected part and apply alcohol over it. If the oil is spreading in the entire body then taking a bath is the only option to discard the oil.
How to Take Mint Bath?
- Fill a bucket or tub with warm water and add peppermint in it and use the water for bathing.
- Alternatively, you can also apply peppermint tea over the rashes with the help of the soft cloth. Don’t put warm tea.
13.) Pascalite Clay to Remove the Toxins
Pascalite clay eliminates toxins and fluids from the rash. Moreover, it draws out the poison and restricts it from spreading in other body parts.
How to Use Pascalite Clay?
- Apply the clay over the rashes and cover it with plastic wrap.
- Wash it once it gets dry. It will give you relief from the itching instantly.
- You can also use earthen clay instead of pascal clay.
- It will also give you the same results.
- Regular application of the mask will treat the poison ivy to cure the problem of the root.
14.) Milkweed Home Remedy for Poison Ivy
Milkweed eases the symptoms of poison ivy. It is also one of the best remedies for poison ivy. Regular application of milkweed will cure the problem of its roots.
How to Use Milkweed?
- Grind the milkweed leaves along with water.
- Apply the paste on the affected part.
- It will reduce the redness and bid adieu to blisters.
- Spread a thin layer of it. You can apply it 1-2 times in a day.
15.) Manzanita Leaf Tea to Cure Poison Ivy Rashes
Manzanita is a herb which cures rashes and skin burn.It has antiseptic and anti-inflammatory properties that help to treat the poison ivy rashes.
How to Use Manzanita Leafs?
- Boil some water and add Manzanita leaves into it.
- Strain the water. Let it cool and apply it on the affected part with a cotton ball.
16.) Witch Hazel To Kill the Toxins
Witch Hazel works as an astringent. It draws out the poison and provides instant relief. However, don’t put it directly on the rash.
How to Use Witch Hazel?
- Dip a cotton ball in it and dab it on the skin.
- It will remove the toxins and stop the oil from spreading in other body parts.
- While applying it don’t forget to wear hand gloves.
16.) Baking Soda as a Remedy for Poison Ivy
Baking soda is an effective home remedy for poison ivy. It soothes the skin and helps to treat the rashes.
How to Use Baking Soda?
- Make a paste of baking soda and water, apply it on the rashes.
- Wash it, once it gets dry.
17.) Calamine as a Remedy for Poison Ivy
Calamine lotion contains zinc which is good for the skin and keeps the skin problem at the bay. You can also use calamine to treat other rashes as well
How to Use Calamine?
- Apply the lotion to the affected area and leave it.
- Do not forget to cover the affected part before moving out, otherwise, the problem will aggravate.
18.) Chilled Fruit Rinds as a Remedy to Poison Ivy Rash
The outer layer of the fruit which is known as rind has many skin healing properties. The watermelon rind work as a cold compress whereas the watermelon juice dries the blister. Similarly, banana rind cools the infected area. Just rub the peel or rind on the rash and keep it for some time.
19.) Be Gentle With the Rash
The rash will take a time to heal, so have patience and don’t touch or scratch the affected area otherwise the condition may worsen. Clean the infected area regularly and apply the home remedies for poison ivy to treat the condition.Moreover, wear clothes which are gentle on rashes.
20.) Avoid Contact with Unknown Plants
Precaution is better than cure. Though the poison ivy plant can be distinguished from other plants. However, you might not be able to differentiate it easily. So it’s better to be on the safe side and avoid contact with unknown plants. However, make sure you cover your entire body if you have to work amongst unknown plants.