In this article we will discuss how to get rid of menstrual cramps. Menstruation is a natural process of every woman’s life. However, painful menstrual cramps is a very irritating problem for many women. Although, menstrual cramps are hardly a cause for concern, but if they are severe then they can hamper your regular activities.
Menstrual cramps are caused because of a hormone-like substance known as prostaglandin. Prostaglandin causes the muscles of uterine to contract at the time of menstruation.
Cramping can cause a mild or throbbing pain in the lower abdomen area. It also causes pain to the lower back and thighs. Cramps generally reduce after the first 2 or 3 days of the period. Some women may feel cramps just before the onset of their cycle.
Some factors can elevate the possibilities of suffering from menstrual cramps, such as attaining puberty at an early age, heavy bleeding during periods, genetics and unhealthy habits such as smoking, drinking excess alcohol, a sedentary lifestyle and taking drugs (illegal).
Remedies to Get Rid of Menstrual Cramps Naturally and Fast
- Remedies to Get Rid of Menstrual Cramps Naturally and Fast
- 1.) Treat Menstrual Cramps Fast With the Help Of Yoga
- 2.) Chamomile Tea to Get Relief from Menstrual Cramps
- 3.) Cinnamon to prevent Menstrual Cramps Naturally
- 4.) Hot Water to Treat Menstrual Cramps
- 5.) Parsley to Get Rid of The Menstrual Cramps
- 6.) Basil for Menstrual Cramps Treatment
- 7.) Blackstrap Molasses to Get Rid of Menstrual Cramps
- 8.) Fennel to Get Rid of Menstrual Cramps
- 9.) Vitamins to Get Rid of Menstrual Cramps
- 10.) Minerals to Get Rid of Menstrual Cramps
- 11.) Ginger to Get Rid of Menstrual Cramps
- 12.) Flaxseed to Cure Menstrual Cramps
- 13.) Lavender Oil to Treat Menstrual Cramps
- 14.) Rosemary Oil to Get Rid of Menstrual Cramps
- 15.) Magnesium Intake to Treat Menstrual Cramps
- 16.) More and More Water to Subside Menstrual Cramps
- 17.) Sleep and Proper Rest to Get Rid of Menstrual Cramps
- 18.) Improved Diet to Treat Menstrual Cramps
- 19.) Avoid Coffee to Get Rid of Menstrual Cramps
- 20.) Acupuncture and Acupressure to Treat Menstrual Cramps
1.) Treat Menstrual Cramps Fast With the Help Of Yoga
Practicing yoga on a regular basis can also be very helpful you to prevent menstrual cramps. Practice daily some yoga poses like Cobbler’s pose and see how you will be able to get rid of the cramps instantly. Here are the steps to perform it.
Cobbler pose steps are as follows:
- Sit on the ground with your legs stretched.
- You can lift your pelvis on a mat if the groin or hips are tight.
- Keep the soles of the feet together and bring them towards the pelvis and hold the ankles.
- Hold big toes of each foot with your first finger, second finger, and thumb.
- You can even use each hand to hold the ankles or shins if it is not possible for you to reach the toes.
- Do not try to push down on the knees. If you want, you can keep cushions under the sitting bones to balance your pelvis.
- Now, Exhale and slowly bend forward, stretch your spine as you do so.
- Keep maintaining the length of your upper body and stretch as far as possible for you to without any strain.
- Hold this position for 1-5 minutes; inhale and slowly sit back.
- Avoid the pose if you have a hip or shoulder injury.
- Keep a yoga mat under the outer thigh to prevent knee or groin discomfort.
- Avoid this pose if you had a baby recently.
- Also, instead of yoga, normal exercise can also help you to get rid of menstrual cramps. A simple brisk walk or some easy exercises can be done to prevent menstrual cramps.
2.) Chamomile Tea to Get Relief from Menstrual Cramps
Chamomile tea is an excellent home remedy for menstrual cramp relief. It is because chamomile has antispasmodic and anti-inflammatory properties. Such qualities help relax the uterus and ease the spasmodic contractions which causes pain at the time of menstruation.
- Take a tea bag of chamomile tea and put it in a cup of boiled water.
- Cover the cup and leave it to steep for 10-15 minutes.
- Later, squeeze out the tea bag completely and add some lemon juice or honey in the tea.
- Drink minimum 2 cups of chamomile tea a day during the week before your expected period cycle.
3.) Cinnamon to prevent Menstrual Cramps Naturally
Cinnamon is another excellent home remedy which you can use to get rid of menstrual cramps fast and naturally. This is mainly because cinnamon is popular for its anti-inflammatory and anti-spasmodic qualities. These qualities of Cinnamon make it one of the best remedies to prevent pain caused due to menstrual cramps.
- You can take cinnamon in its raw form.
- Otherwise, you can mix it in your tea or food as a spice.
4.) Hot Water to Treat Menstrual Cramps
Hot water is one of the simplest home remedies which you can use to treat menstrual cramps effectively. It helps lower the pain caused due to cramps. To perform this home remedy, follow the instructions below.
- Fill some hot water in a bottle or rubber bag.
- Place it on the stomach for a few minutes.
- Do this several times a day.
- Doing this daily at regular intervals will help ease the menstrual cramps.
5.) Parsley to Get Rid of The Menstrual Cramps
Parsley is well known for its amazing medicinal properties. It is also very effective in menstrual cramps treatment. It has two compounds called myristicin and apiol which are highly effective at stimulating the menstrual process and giving relief from cramps. Here is the method to use it.
- For this remedy you just have to take some parsley and extract juice out of its leaves.
- Drink this juice at the time of your periods.
- It is one of the excellent home remedies.
- It not only helps you get rid of menstrual cramps, but also helps cure irregular periods.
6.) Basil for Menstrual Cramps Treatment
Basil is also another one of the most excellent home remedies for menstrual cramp relief. It can be quite effective in giving relief from pain due to menstrual cramps. Basil is known to have caffeic acid present in it which has analgesic, or pain-killing properties. There are many ways through which you can make use of basil to get rid your condition.
- You can chew some basil leaves in raw form.
- Otherwise, you can add some fresh basil leaves in your tea or can include as a spice in your food.
- Plus, you can even dissolve them in warm water for several minutes. Later, strain and drink the water to reduce the pain.
7.) Blackstrap Molasses to Get Rid of Menstrual Cramps
Another proven remedy for menstrual cramps is blackstrap molasses. It is a rich source of Iron, Magnesium, Potassium, Calcium, Manganese, Vitamin B6 and Selenium. Blackstrap molasses is very helpful in reducing blood clots. It soothes the muscles of the uterine walls, which in turn reduces cramps during menstruation.
- Take 1 or 2 tsp of blackstrap molasses and mix it in a cup of warm milk.
- Drink this milk as soon as you start noticing cramps and follow it as long as needed.
8.) Fennel to Get Rid of Menstrual Cramps
Fennel is known to have excellent phytoestrogenic, antispasmodic, and anti-inflammatory properties. It helps relax the muscles in the uterus, which in turn give relief from cramping and discomfort.
- Take 1 tsp of fennel seeds and add to 1 cup of boiling water.
- Simmer the solution on low heat for about 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and strain the solution.
- Then, mix 1 tsp of honey for sweetness and added benefits.
- Drink this herbal tea 2 times daily starting three days before the expected date of your cycle.
- Keep drinking it as needed to reduce pain.
- Drink while it’s hot for best result.
9.) Vitamins to Get Rid of Menstrual Cramps
This is one of the best home remedies which can help get rid of your menstrual cramps effectively. All you have to do is to include those foods which contain a high amount of Vitamins. Such food includes fresh fruits. Include fresh fruits such as lime and orange in your daily diet. These fruits include plenty of Vitamins and thus when consumed on a daily basis, they can help you keep the menstrual cramps at bay.
10.) Minerals to Get Rid of Menstrual Cramps
Increasing the amount of minerals in your diet can help you to get rid of menstrual cramps. Minerals like Potassium and Calcium are very good for reducing the effects of the menstrual cramps. All you have to do is incorporate foods in your diet which contain these minerals.
- These home remedies should not be followed only during periods. You should follow them daily to lead a better and healthy life.
- Remember to exercise on a regular basis.
11.) Ginger to Get Rid of Menstrual Cramps
This is one of the effective remedies to get rid of menstrual cramps. Ginger helps to treat fatigue that is one of the symptoms of premenstrual syndrome. It lowers the levels of prostaglandins which is responsible for causing menstrual cramps. It makes irregular periods regular. Follow the instructions given below to get quick relief from pain.
- In a cup of boiling water, grate a piece of ginger.
- Boil this water for the next 5 to 10 minutes.
- Strain it and mix lemon juice and honey in it.
- Drink this tea thrice a day during period’s pain.
- Alternatively, add grated ginger while cooking food or suck ginger candies.
12.) Flaxseed to Cure Menstrual Cramps
This is one of the excellent remedies to cure menstrual cramps. It is a perfect remedy to minimize the intensity of the menstrual pain. Flaxseed has fatty acids that lower the production of progesterone which is responsible for causing menstrual pain. It also helps to get rid of fertility problem and improves the uterine function. Follow the instructions given below to get fast relief from pain.
- Eat two tablespoons of flaxseed each day when suffering from menstrual pain.
- Another thing that you can do is add grounded flaxseed in your salad, yogurt, cereal or a smoothie.
13.) Lavender Oil to Treat Menstrual Cramps
The therapeutic properties of lavender oil make it an excellent choice to treat menstrual cramps. It induces relaxation and works fast on the pain. There was a research done according to which inhaling lavender oil reduces the pain caused during menstrual cycle. Lavender oil not only gives relief from the cramps but at the same time decreases the bleeding. The best thing about lavender oil is that it is easy to find, inexpensive and has no side effects. Follow the instructions given below to get quick relief caused by periods.
- In one teaspoon of almond oil, mix 4 to 5 drops of lavender oil.
- Gently massage this prepared oil on your abdominal area.
- Inhale the rest of the oil.
- Repeat this method two times in a day when suffering from menstrual cramps.
14.) Rosemary Oil to Get Rid of Menstrual Cramps
This is one of the most effective oils to get rid of menstrual cramps. This herb has been beneficial for many health problems such as dysmenorrheal, colic and respiratory ailments. It prevents the pain signals from being transmitted to the brain. Follow the instructions given below to get fast relief from menstrual cramps.
- In one teaspoon of olive oil, mix 4 to 5 drops of rosemary oil.
- Cover your abdominal area with a thin layer of this oil.
- Gently massage the area with your palm.
- Repeat this treatment two times in a day until the pain subsides.
15.) Magnesium Intake to Treat Menstrual Cramps
This is one of the best methods to treat menstrual cramps. This versatile mineral eases down the period cramps. It improves the nerve function and encourages good muscle tone which in turn decreases painful cramps during periods. The amount of magnesium that women should take during their menstrual cycle is 360mg. Follow the instructions given below to get fast relief from period pain.
- When you are suffering from menstrual pain consume brown rice with boiled spinach. Try to include more leafy vegetables in your daily diet.
- Another thing that you can do is during those days eat a handful of almonds or other mixed nuts throughout the day.
16.) More and More Water to Subside Menstrual Cramps
Hydration is the key for most of the health issues. It is one of the simplest and safest remedy for menstrual pain. Water prevents bloating, improves the circulation of blood and relaxes the body muscles. Sometimes menstrual cramps are accompanied by diarrhea. So, you need to drink more and more water so that the fluid lost by the body is replenished. Follow the instructions given below to consume more water in different forms.
- Drink atleast 8 glasses of water during your menstrual cycle.
- In one glass of water, add lemon juice and mint. Drink this water to subside down the pain.
- Try to have more and more herbal teas to get quick relief from period pain.
- Consume fruits that have high water content such as berries, cucumber, watermelon, celery etc.
17.) Sleep and Proper Rest to Get Rid of Menstrual Cramps
This is one of the best things that your body can get. It is very much nourishing for your overall health. Sleep and proper rest is very necessary from you are suffering from periods and experiencing those painful cramps. Irregular sleep, insufficient rest and a hectic lifestyle makes the period cramps worse. Sufficient sleep calms down the nervous system, induces relaxation and reduces menstrual cramps. Follow the instructions given below to get quick relief from period pain.
- Follow a good night routine. Make sure you go to bed early.
- You can follow some pattern to trigger sleep. For example, listening to soft music or drinking a cup of herbal tea daily before going to bed.
- Do not use your cell phones or watch television during the night.
- Try to take a small afternoon nap.
18.) Improved Diet to Treat Menstrual Cramps
This is one of the best methods to treat menstrual cramps. A good diet not only gives relief from menstrual cramps but also prevents the future cramps. Following a healthy regime lowers the period pain. Try to decrease the saturated fats in your daily diet and increase the unsaturated fats. Follow the instructions given below to improve your diet.
- Consume more and more vegetables especially green leafy vegetables.
- Avoid eating too much of animal fats.
- Cut down the unnecessary fats from your daily diet.
19.) Avoid Coffee to Get Rid of Menstrual Cramps
A small change in your lifestyle can save you menstrual pain. Coffee is a vasoconstrictor i.e. it makes the blood vessels constrict. It also tightens the vessels that feed the uterus. If you are big fan of coffee then you need to avoid it atleast one week before your menstrual cycle. Avoid coffee and notice the big change.
20.) Acupuncture and Acupressure to Treat Menstrual Cramps
Acupuncture and Acupressure are two different therapies that are widely used in treating various medical conditions including menstrual cramps. In Acupuncture use a thin needle to trigger the acupoints in the body. In the case of acupressure, apply firm pressure on the acupoints in the body. The best thing is both these therapies helps to get quick relief from the menstrual cramps. It improves blood circulation, relaxes the nervous system and is 100% safe. Follow the instructions given below to get fasr relief from period pain.
- Learn about the acupoints in your body from a well known practitioner.
- Apply pressure on these points. For example, press the point between the thumb and index finger. This will help to relieve menstrual cramps.
Tips and Precautions to Get Rid of Menstrual Cramps
- Don’t take painkillers.
- Follow a healthy diet regime.
- Take a bath with lukewarm water during the menstrual cycle.
- Keep your body hydrated by drinking lots of water.
- Keep good hygiene during your period days.