You give attention to your hair, face, and fitness, etc. but you do not pay any attention towards your nails. I think most of the people do not care about their nails. As healthy and strong nails are good for your health as well as for your beauty. Brittle nails are a sign of thinning of the nail plate, a long-term exposure to water, ageing and chemicals such as nail polish and detergents. Weak and brittle nails can easily be chipped or cracked which is a very common problem and affects both men and women. There are some other causes also that affects brittle nails such as dehydration, frequent use of nail polish remover, nutritional deficiencies and exposure to chemicals. To get strong and beautiful nails, follow some home remedies for brittle nails which are described in this article.
Causes of Brittle Nails:
- Nail psoriasis, it can cause the nails to become crumbly.
- An overactive thyroid or underactive thyroid, in which the thyroid gland either does not produce any hormones or produces many hormones.
- Lichen planus is a skin condition where it can affect the nails.
- By taking a course of antifungal tablets, a fungal nail infection can be cleared easily.
- Frequent use of nail polish remover to remove nail paint.
- Long-term exposure to water
- Nutritional deficiencies
How do You Get Rid of Brittle Nails?
Brittle nails can spoil your beauty. They are caused by the frequent use of nail polish remover, nutritional deficiencies, exposure to chemicals and dehydration. Treating brittle nails is very important to keep your nails moisturized and healthy. There are some home remedies and natural remedies that will help you to get rid of brittle nails.
Home Remedies for Brittle Nails:
- Home Remedies for Brittle Nails:
- 1) Biotin Supplement for Brittle Nails
- 2) Blackstrap Molasses to Treat Brittle Nails Fast
- 3) Beer to Cure Brittle Nails Fast
- 4) Lemon Juice to Get Rid of Brittle Nails Fast
- 5) Sea Salt for Brittle Nails Treatment
- 6) Tea Tree Oil for Brittle Nails Treatment
- 7) Horsetail to Treat Brittle Nails Naturally
- 8) Vitamin E oil for Unhealthy Nails
- 9) Apple Cider Vinegar for Weak and Unhealthy Nails
- 10) Coconut Oil to Get Rid of Brittle Nails Naturally
Everyone wants beautiful nails, but having brittle nails is a bad symptom of your beauty. Weak and brittle nails are a very common problem for both men and women. Brittle nails are caused by these three main factors – long term use of nail polish, aging, and frequent exposure to water. So we have some home remedies to overcome this problem or you can easily get rid of brittle nails by following these remedies.
1) Biotin Supplement for Brittle Nails
Biotin plays a vital role for strong and healthy nails. It can be very effective to treat thin or brittle nails. By taking 2.5 mg of biotin daily up to 6 months, it will increase nail plate thickness by 25 percent.
- So include biotin rich foods like whole grains, cauliflower, egg yolk, soyabeans, milk, fish, cereals, lentils and bananas in your daily diet.
- You can take a biotin supplement also by consulting your doctor.
2) Blackstrap Molasses to Treat Brittle Nails Fast
Iron is necessary to make your nails healthy. A good source of iron is Blackstrap molasses as it contains several nutrients that are helpful for your overall health.
Steps to Use Blackstrap Molasses to Cure Brittle Nails:
- Combine one teaspoon of blackstrap molasses in a cup of hot water or milk.
- Drink this solution once a day for a few weeks.
3) Beer to Cure Brittle Nails Fast
Beer contains potassium, selenium, phosphorous and biotin that will make your nails healthy and strong. So that’s why beer is an effective home remedy for brittle nails.
Steps to Use Beer to Treat Brittle Nails:
- Take one-fourth cup of olive oil and heat it until it gets warm to the touch.
- Then combine it with one fourth cup of apple cider vinegar and one half cup of beer.
- Put your nails in this mixture for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Do this procedure once or twice a week.
4) Lemon Juice to Get Rid of Brittle Nails Fast
Lemon juice is one of the best home remedies for brittle nails. Lemon juice is a good option to strengthen and improve the condition of brittle nails. Also, it will help in brightening and whitening of your nails.
Steps to Use Lemon Juice to Treat Brittle Nails Naturally:
- Add one teaspoon of fresh lemon juice into three teaspoons of olive oil in a small bowl.
- Heat this solution in the microwave for a few seconds.
- By using a clean cotton apply it to your nails before going to bed.
- Wear gloves and leave it overnight.
- An alternate option is to combine together equal parts of lemon juice and argon oil, then put your nails in the solution for 20 minutes.
5) Sea Salt for Brittle Nails Treatment
Sea salt has many healing properties that are good for brittle nails. It helps to strengthen brittle nails as well as soften cuticles and also gives shine to your nails.
Steps to Use Sea Salt to Prevent Brittle Nails:
- Add two tablespoons of fine grain sea salts in a small bowl of warm water.
- Mix two drops of frankincense and germ oil, myrrh and lemon essential oils in it.
- Put your nails in this solution for 10 to 15 minutes. Wash it with warm water.
- Then pat dry and apply a lotion. Follow this home remedy 2 to 3 times a week for best results.
6) Tea Tree Oil for Brittle Nails Treatment
Tea tree oil is one of the best and effective home remedies for brittle nails, especially when it is caused by fungal infections. It acts as an antiseptic which helps to fight with infections.
Steps to Use Tea Tree Oil to Cure Brittle Nails Fast:
- Combine a one-half teaspoon of vitamin E oil and a few drops of tea tree oil.
- Apply this solution on each of your nails and massage for a few minutes.
- Keep it for 30 minutes.
- Wash it off with warm water.
- Let it dry and apply a moisturizing lotion.
- Do this remedy twice a day for a month.
7) Horsetail to Treat Brittle Nails Naturally
Horsetail is one of the best natural and home remedies for brittle nails. Horsetail has a high amount of silica and a very important mineral for healthy and strong nails. This herb also prevents white spots in your nails.
Steps to Use Horsetail to Cure Brittle Nails Fast:
- Mix two teaspoons of dried horsetail herb to a cup of warm water.
- Covet it for ten minutes.
- Leave it to cool down and then put your nails in it for 20 minutes.
- Pat dry your nails and then apply some olive oil on nails.
- Keep it overnight and wear gloves for good results.
- Follow this remedy 3 to 4 times a week.
8) Vitamin E oil for Unhealthy Nails
Deficiency of moisture is the main reason behind brittle nails. Vitamin E plays a vital role in keeping your nails hydrated and moisturized. It will also help to nourish your nails and cuticles.
Steps to Use Vitamin E Oil for Brittle Nails Treatment:
- Extract the oil from a vitamin E capsule.
- Rub this oil on your nails before going to bed.
- To increase circulation to the nail bed, massage with this oil for 5 minutes.
- Apply this oil for one to two weeks for best results.
- An alternate option is you can take Vitamin E capsules orally.
9) Apple Cider Vinegar for Weak and Unhealthy Nails
Apple cider vinegar is one of the best home remedies for brittle nails. It contains lots of nutrients that are healthier for your nails such as potassium, vitamins, calcium, magnesium and iron. Also, it contains acetic and malic acid which prevents from nail infections.
Steps to Use ACV to Cure Brittle Nails Fast:
- Combine equal amount of raw, unfiltered apple cider vinegar and water in a small bowl.
- Put your nails in this solution for a few minutes.
- Follow this remedy for a few days.
10) Coconut Oil to Get Rid of Brittle Nails Naturally
Coconut oil is one of the best home remedies for brittle nails. Coconut oil contains saturated fat which works as a great moisturizer to nourish your weak and brittle nails. It can fight with many kinds of nail infections.
Steps to Use Coconut Oil to Treat Brittle Nails Fast:
- Take some coconut oil in a bowl and slightly warm it and apply it on each nail.
- Massage with this oil for 5 minutes. It helps to improve blood circulation and keep the nails nourished.
- Follow this remedy thrice a day for some days. After that, you can see the good results.