This article will tell you the ways to treat a torn toenail fast and naturally. Do you often experience torn toenail? Is your toenail becomes fragile? If yes, then you should try to treat it as soon as possible. Well, a torn toenail, especially from inner skin hurts the most. Many times you unintentionally chip away at your nail polish or you rip your nail on the car door, and you’re left with a torn nail – in severe cases, you could even split a nail from your nail bed. Many conditions can cause tender torn or separated nails. However, the problem can be cured, if you follow below given remedies and take good care of your torn nail.
The nail bed is the soft area of skin under the nail plate, which is the solid surface of the nail. Cells at the bottom of the nail bed provide a good texture and produce the coating of a protein called keratin. Keratin builds the nail plate and fixes it to the nail bed. When your nail separates or tears, the nail matrix produces the new nail. Both, the splitting of nails and nail separation can be hurtful, and they don’t cure quickly. All you can do is wait for the nail to grow again. However, there are a few easy steps that can help to speed up the nail growth and stop the tearing and splitting of nails in the future. Read this article, what you can do to treat your torn or broken nail.
Causes of Torn Toenail:
- Trauma – It generally takes something pretty severe to break or crack your toenail–for example, falling something heavy on your toe. A toenail can also tear due to repetitive minor traumas, like the hitting of a toenail against the toe box of your sports shoes, or if you play a sport that puts your feet a lot. Dancers are also vulnerable to cracked or torn nails.
- Too much moisture – It can be a one of the major reasons behind torn toenails. If your feet are constantly being wet and dry, then your toenails can grow weaker and break or split.
- Less moisture – Less moisture in an area with very dry air can involve your nails, causing them to split and dry out.
- Toenail infections – Untreated toenail disease can also be a one of the reasons of torn toenail.
- Poor Diet or Illness – It is also a reason for torn toenail. When your body doesn’t get enough nutrients, it shows up in your toenails. It is because when you don’t get enough food in general or you don’t eat food that is a rich source of minerals and vitamins you need. For example, anemia or iron deficiency is often is a sign of nail problems.
Best Ways to Treat a Torn Toenail:
- Best Ways to Treat a Torn Toenail:
- Treat Nail Fungus to Avoid Torn Toenail
- 1.) Apple Cider Vinegar to Treat Nail Fungus
- 2.) Garlic Oil to Treat Torn Toe Nail
- 3.) Sea Salt to Get Rid of Torn Toe Nail
- 4.) Lilac Oil to Treat Torn Toe Nail
- 5.) Orange Oil to Get Rid of Torn Toe Nail
- 6.) Coconut Oil to Get Rid of Torn Toe Nail
- 7.) Lemongrass Oil to Treat Nail Fungus
- 8.) Lavender Oil to Treat Infection Caused By Torn Toe Nail
- 9.) Vicks Vapor Rub to Get Rid of Nail Fungus
- Tips to Prevent Torn Toenail from Fungus:
1.) Dealing with Trauma to Treat a Torn Toenail
If your nail is fractured or torn due to a known trauma, then you must check your toe for further damage. If there’s blood loss, press in the area with a clean cloth and cover it with the dressing to stop the bleeding. If there’s a portion of nail hanging off, trim or cut it down from the closet. Gently clean the affected area, particularly, if you’re in a location where gravel or dirt might settle into your skin or nail bed. Apply an antibiotic balm and cover it with a dressing, If you find any real damage to the nail bed or toe.
2.) Minimizing Discomfort Caused By Torn Toe Nail
It can be extremely painful when the toe nail breaks. At that time all you want is to ease down the pain and inflammation within minutes. Here are some ways to reduce the discomfort caused by torn toe nail.
- Wrap some ice cubes in a cloth and place it on the toe injury for about 20 minutes. Do this in every 2 hours to reduce the pain and inflammation caused by torn toe nail. On the second day, place ice cubes on the injury for 3 to 4 times a day.
- Elevate your foot to get quick relief. Lie down and put your foot on the pillow to elevate it. Elevate your foot to above the level of your heart. This will minimize the swelling and ease down the pain caused by torn toe nail. Do this in the first 48 hours of the injury.
- OTC pain relievers will be a great help to ease down the pain and inflammation caused by torn toe nail instantly. Naproxen, Acetaminophen, and ibuprofen will minimize the swelling and ease down the pain caused by torn toe nail. You can get these antibiotics from the medical store without a prescription. If you have high blood pressure, heart disease and kidney problems then consult with your doctor before taking any medicines.
3.) Repair to Treat a Torn Toenail
If you’re not dealing with any trauma like a cracked toe, or any injury and you just want to keep a torn nail together awaiting the new part grows in, then you have a number of options. Try the following methods to treat a torn toenail naturally:
Nail Repair Kits: You can purchase nail repair kits in drug stores. The acrylic solution in these nail paints can paint on your nail, and then you can paint over using nail polish if you wish.
Nail Polish: Some people do not use the kits and just use clear nail paints to hold the nail jointly.
Nail Polish With Coffee Filter/Tea Bag
- Coffee and tea bags are also effective measures to cure torn nails. Take a clean, unused, empty, unfolded tea or coffee filter bag and cut out a piece that will cover the affected nail.
- Apply a covering of clear nail polish to your nail. Wait for a few seconds, then, before the polish dries out, compress the filter patch onto the nail.
- Paint one more clear coat of polish over the filter patch. Let it dry, if you wish, you can now put a coat of colored polish on it.
- Keep the patch in place until your nail grows out and pushes the tear far enough up that you can cut back to a whole nail.
Superglue: Yes, just paste it together. As long as you don’t have open injuries or you can glue your fingers to your toes or any close by objects, this is all right and it’s easier to remove using a nail remover.
4.) Treat Regrowing Nails to Treat a Torn Toenail
- Wear an appropriate pair of socks and shoes. Avoid wearing shoes that tighten the toenails. Else, select pairs that have enough space for you to twist your toes around.
- Trim Toenails. Cut down the toenails frequently. Leaving the nails lengthy increases your risk that they will get trapped in something and split. Also, avoid drawing on the nails as this can result in tearing the tissue.
- Moisturize Your Toe Nails. Use moisturizing lotion, vegetable oil or creams that have humectants in them such as phospholipids, lactic acid or urea to the feet can help prevent the nails from becoming brittle. This can reduce your risk of cracking. If you already have torn your nail, avoid moisturizing conditions like cleaning or washing the dishes as revealing the damaged nail to moisture can raise your risk of infection.
Treat Nail Fungus to Avoid Torn Toenail
Torn toenail can also be the reason of toenail fungus. Nail fungus makes your nails brittle and fragile. Nail fungus is an infection of the nail that looks white or yellow nail. It tends to spread and causes the toenail to grow thick, discolor and crumbled around the corners. It makes up to 50% of the nail disorders.
1.) Apple Cider Vinegar to Treat Nail Fungus
The acidic properties of apple cider vinegar prevent the infection from spreading. It also kills the fungus and bacteria that causes nail fungus. It is one of the best home remedies to treat a torn toenail. Follow the steps given below to see noticeable results.
- Mix equal parts of water and apple cider vinegar.
- Soak your infected nail in this solution.
- Keep it in this solution for atleast half an hour.
- Take your foot out and let it dry naturally.
- Repeat this process until the infection is gone completely.
2.) Garlic Oil to Treat Torn Toe Nail
This is one of the best home remedies to treat a torn toe nail. Garlic contains compounds such as ajoene and allicin, which are known for its powerful antifungal properties. These properties kill the fungus and stop the infection from spreading. Follow the steps given below to treat nail fungus.
- Mix equal parts of olive oil and garlic oil.
- Apply this mixture of oils on the infected nails.
- Cover the area with a bandage and leave it for a few hours.
- Repeat this remedy everyday to heal the infection completely.
- It is also suggested to eat raw garlic as it kills the bacteria from within.
3.) Sea Salt to Get Rid of Torn Toe Nail
This is one of the best remedies to get rid of torn toe nail. This active ingredient is going to ease down the pain and inflammation caused by torn toe nail. Follow the steps given below to get excellent results.
- Take a bowl filled with water and sea salt.
- Soak your infected nail in this water.
- Make sure that the salt touches the infected area of the nail.
- Soak your nail for as long as possible.
- Repeat this process daily to see the difference soon.
4.) Lilac Oil to Treat Torn Toe Nail
This is one of the most effective home remedies to treat a torn toe nail. The powerful antifungal properties of lilac oil kill the fungus and prevent the infection from spreading. Lilac oil also nourishes and moisturizes the nail. Follow the steps given below to get excellent results.
- Take a bowl of lilac oil.
- Massage it on the infected nail.
- Do this every day to treat nail fungus.
5.) Orange Oil to Get Rid of Torn Toe Nail
This is one of the best home remedies to get rid of torn toe nail. The strong antifungal properties of orange oil make it an ideal treatment for torn toe nail. Follow the steps given below to get quick results.
- Use a dropper and apply orange oil on the infected nail and also between your toes.
- Leave it on the infected nail for atleast half an hour.
- Allow it to dry completely and then rinse it off water.
- Repeat this treatment 2 to 3 times daily to treat torn toe nail.
6.) Coconut Oil to Get Rid of Torn Toe Nail
The healing powers of coconut oil make it an effective remedy to treat torn toe nail. The antifungal, antibacterial, anti-inflammatory and antiviral properties of coconut oil fight the bacteria that cause fungus. The moisturizing properties of coconut oil heal the damaged skin. Follow the steps given below to get best results.
- Massage coconut oil on and around the infected nails.
- Massage this oil daily to get rid of the nail fungus.
- It is a great remedy to fight free radicals.
7.) Lemongrass Oil to Treat Nail Fungus
This is one of the most effective remedies to treat nail fungus and prevents fragility of nails. The antibacterial and antifungal properties of lemon grass makes it an effective remedy for nail fungus. It prevents the infection from spreading and the nail from breaking. Follow the steps given below to get promising results.
- Take some lemongrass oil in your palm.
- Mix some carrier oil like coconut oil or grapeseed oil.
- The combination of two oils will treat the infection more effectively.
- Massage it gently on your torn toe nail or on the affected nail.
- Apply this combination of oil 3 to 4 times daily until the nail heals.
8.) Lavender Oil to Treat Infection Caused By Torn Toe Nail
This is one of the best remedies to treat infection caused by torn toe nail. The antiseptic properties loaded in lavender oil make it an effective remedy to treat infections. It also stops the skin irritation caused by fungus. Follow the steps given below to get rid of the nail infection fast.
- Mix 5 drops each of tea tree oil and lavender oil.
- Now, apply this oil gently on the affected nail with the help of a cotton ball.
- Apply the oil on the nearby area of the nail.
- Leave it for about 10 to 12 minutes and then rinse it off.
- You can even leave it like that and allow it to dry completely.
- Repeat this process twice or thrice a day to heal the nail fast.
9.) Vicks Vapor Rub to Get Rid of Nail Fungus
You will be surprised to know that this is one of the most effective methods to treat broken nail and to get rid of nail fungus caused by it. It kills the bacteria and fungus that are responsible for spreading the infection. It is a quick and effective way to heal torn toe nail. Follow the steps given below and favorable results.
- Apply a thin layer of vapor rub on your affected nail.
- Cover the nail with a bandage and leave it for one full night.
- Give time to the vapor to be absorbed without any air.
- Repeat this remedy daily once until the nail is healed completely.
Tips to Prevent Torn Toenail from Fungus:
- Apply some tea tree oil as it contains antiseptic and antibacterial properties to avoid toenail fungus and ingrown toenail.
- You can also use apple cider vinegar to get rid of toe nail fungus fast. Just dilute ACV with water and apply it on the affected area properly.
- Lavender oil is also beneficial for treating toe nail fungus. It consists of antibacterial properties. Just apply lavender oil properly on the toenail and make sure you apply on edges, in between the fingers as well.
- Lemon also helps prevent the spread of fungal and bacterial infection in the toenail. It also helps make your nails stronger.
- Apply Vitamin E oil gently on your toe nail to get rid of toenail fungus.
- Onion is also an effective way to prevent torn toe nail due to fungus. Just rub some slices over the nail for 2-3 times a day.
- Yogurt consists of probiotic food that helps in treating the problem of toenail fungus and foot fungus fast.
- Turmeric consists of antiseptic properties. So apply a turmeric paste to avoid toe nail fungus.
- Dip infected torn toe nail in rubbing alcohol for a few minutes to treat toenail fungus.
- Soak your toenail in the Listerine mouthwash as it consists of antibacterial properties that help cure nail fungus and grow nails faster.