This article is about Sciatica and suggest you some of the top home remedies for Sciatica. Sciatica is pain caused due to irritation or compression of the sciatic nerve. It generally affects only one side of the body. But, the pain can be quite severe and unbearable. The pain usually stretches from the lower back to the back of the thigh and down to the leg.
Causes of Sciatica
Sciatica is mostly caused by the following reasons:
- Slipped disc
- Herniated disc
- Spinal injury or infection
- Isthmic spondylolisthesis
- Spinal stenosis
- Degenerative disc disease
- Piriformis syndrome
Symptoms of Sciatica
The sciatic pain can be accompanied by following symptoms:
- Burning or tingling down the leg
- Shooting pain
- Difficulty in standing up or sitting down.
- Numbness and weakness down the affected leg and in the toes as well.
However, there are different conventional treatments available for sciatica. But they only ease the pain temporarily. Also, most of the steroid injections may cause serious side effects.
Apart from such treatment you can can even go for home remedies to reduce inflammation and stress on the irritated sciatic nerve. In most cases, the problem even goes away with time (about 6 weeks) and proper rest. Below are some of the home remedies for Sciatica which you can try.
Home Remedies for Sciatica
- Home Remedies for Sciatica
- 1.) Massage as a Natural Remedy for Sciatica Treatment
- 2.) Fenugreek Seeds as a Remedy for Sciatica
- 3.) Spinal Manipulation as a Remedy for Sciatica
- 4.) Do Exercises for Sciatica Pain Relief
- 5.) Accupuncture as a Treatment for Sciatica Nerve Relief
- 6.) Hot or Cold Compresses as a Remedy for Sciatica Treatment
- 7.) Turmeric as a Remedy for Sciatica Nerve Treatment
- 8.) Valerian as a Remedy to Cure Sciatica Naturally
- 9.) White Willow Bark as a Remedy for Sciatica
- 10.) Capsaicin Cream as a Remedy to Heal Sciatica at Home
1.) Massage as a Natural Remedy for Sciatica Treatment
Massage therapy not only alleviate sciatica pain, but also helps the body heal itself. Massage is quite effective, especially if the problem is caused due to a muscle spasm. Also, massage helps release tension, promote blood circulation and boost the range of motion.
Directions for Massage Therapy Sciatica Pain Relief:
- Massage the concerned area with St. John’s wort oil for 2 or 3 times a day.
- Massage until you get relief.
- St John’s wort is known to have anti-inflammatory properties which help reduce sciatica pain and inflammation.
- Alternate option is to mix 3 tbsp of nutmeg powder to 1 cup of sesame oil. Mix them well.
- Heat the mixture and let it cool.
- Massage the area with this mixture (it must be comfortably warm).
- Repeat this several times a day for a few weeks.
- In addition to above, you can even consider trigger-point massage therapy once daily.
- Pain in the buttocks, lower back and side of the thighs is usually associated with trigger points in the gluteus minimus and medius muscles.
2.) Fenugreek Seeds as a Remedy for Sciatica
A poultice made from fenugreek seeds is another effective home remedy to reduce sciatica pain. Fenugreek seeds has anti-inflammatory properties which help reduce inflammation. It is also useful in soothing rheumatoid arthritis and gout pains.
Directions to Use Fenugreek Seeds to Treat Sciatica Treatment:
- Grind a small handful of fenugreek seeds.
- Boil the powder with sufficient quantity of milk to make a mushy paste.
- Apply the paste on the affected area as a poultice.
- Allow it to sit for a few hours before washing it off.
- Repeat the process daily until you get relief.
3.) Spinal Manipulation as a Remedy for Sciatica
Chiropractic care is a fast growing popular natural treatment for back and neck pain. Chiropractic spinal manipulation involves different techniques including rapid, short thrusts to ease nerve irritability responsible for inflammation and other symptoms of sciatica. In a study it was found that spinal manipulation technique benefited about 60% of the study participants suffering from sciatica.
Consulting a doctor of chiropractic medicine is recommended for proper treatment, as the treatment depends on the actual cause of your sciatica pain.
4.) Do Exercises for Sciatica Pain Relief
Along with rest, regulating normal activity is very beneficial for treating sciatica. Two or three days after a sciatica flare up, you can begin a regular exercise program to strengthen the back and abdominal muscles. Strengthening the core muscles will help recover quickly. Plus, You can also do a Knee to Chest Stretch to help ease the irritation of the sciatic nerve and enhance the flexibility of your lower back.
Steps to Perform Exercise to Relieve Sciatica Pain:
- Lie on your back on the ground. Keep your feet straight and hip-width apart.
- Keep your upper part relaxed.
- Inhale and bend your left knee upwards.
- Grasp your hands behind the thigh and pull it gently towards your chest as much as is comfortable.
- Keep the other leg flat on the ground.
- Hold this position for about 20 seconds with deep breaths and then gently lower your leg.
- Repeat it 4 to 6 times more and then switch legs and repeat.
- Finally, with both the legs do this exercise 3 to 5 times.
- Other exercises you can do are knees rocking, spinal rolling, back extensions, backblock, floor twists, sciatic-mobilizing stretches.
- You can also do some yoga poses such as pigeon pose and the cat-cow pose to help ease sciatica and lower back pain.
- You can also try spinal decompression exercises.
- Remember to consult your doctor to help you chose the appropriate exercise program for you.
5.) Accupuncture as a Treatment for Sciatica Nerve Relief
Acupuncture is also an effective treatment to reduce sciatica pain, relax the muscles and help the body heal itself. Stimulating some acupuncture points also makes the central nervous system stimulated. As a result body releases some chemicals which either change the sensitivity of pain or generate a sense of well-being. A study discovered that using warmed acupuncture with heated needles helps with sciatica pain.
6.) Hot or Cold Compresses as a Remedy for Sciatica Treatment
Using hot or cold compresses helps reduce sciatica pain and inflammation. The heat treatment makes tense muscles relaxed, which may be compressing the sciatic nerve. Whereas, cold treatment helps reduce swelling around the nerve and also ease the pain.
You can also alternate hot and cold compress. Start with the hot compress and end with the cold compress. When using heat, use steamed towel as it is quite effective.
- Hold a hot or cold pack against the affected area for around 15 to 20 minutes.
- Repeat this every few hours until you get relief.
- Remember, if you have circulatory problems do not use cold compresses.
7.) Turmeric as a Remedy for Sciatica Nerve Treatment
Turmeric is also among the most effective home remedies for sciatica pain relief. Turmeric has anti-inflammatory properties which help alleviate inflammation. Turmeric contains a compound known as curcumin. Curcumin helps in getting relief from nerve pain and inflammation.
Directions to Use Turmeric for Sciatica Nerve Relief:
- Mix 1 tsp of turmeric to 1 cup of milk.
- Also, you can add a small cinnamon stick.
- Boil this solution for a few minutes.
- Add honey to sweeten this healthy drink.
- Drink it once or twice every day until you see improvement.
- You can take 250 to 500 mg turmeric supplements thrice a day for a few weeks. But, remember to consult your doctor first.
- Turmeric might not be suitable if you are taking some blood thinners or diabetes medications. Also, if you are suffering from gallstones you should avoid this remedy.
8.) Valerian as a Remedy to Cure Sciatica Naturally
Valerian root acts as an excellent relaxant and gives relief from chronic nerve pain. It is especially good for reducing sciatica pain caused due to a muscle spasm. The herb has volatile oils which help relax muscles and ease tension. It is also popularly used as a sleeping aid. Valerian is one of the best home remedies for sciatica treatment.
Directions to Use Valerian to Cure Sciatica:
- Take 150 mg of valerian root supplement thrice daily for several weeks. But, consult your doctor first.
- You can also prepare a valerian tea.
- Just steep 1 tsp of dried valerian root in 1 cup of hot water for about 10 minutes.
- Drink this herbal tea a few times for several weeks.
9.) White Willow Bark as a Remedy for Sciatica
White willow bark can also be an effective home remedy for long-lasting pain relief. White willow bark has phenolic glycosides with salicin, which gives anti-inflammatory and analgesic benefits. It is among the best home remedies for sciatica.
Directions to Use White Willow to Heal Sciatica:
- Take 120 or 240 mg salicin white willow bark supplement daily for a few weeks. But, consult doctor first.
10.) Capsaicin Cream as a Remedy to Heal Sciatica at Home
Cayenne pepper has an active ingredient known as capsaicin. Capsaicin acts as a natural pain reliever which is very useful in sciatica pain. It helps reduce the levels of a neurotransmitter called substance P, which carries pain signals. It is one of the best remedies for sciatica.
Directions to Use Capsaicin to Heal Sciatica at Home
- Purchase a cream or ointment containing 0.025% to 0.075% capsaicin.
- Apply this cream on the affected area 2 to 4 times daily, at least for 1 week.
- Remember, capsaicin cream or ointment can cause a little burning sensation in starting. Avoid the area with broken skin.