After writing, how to get rid of poison ivy?, how to treat a yeast infection?, and home remedies for hives treatment, we are now writing about scabies and home remedies for scabies treatment. Scabies is an infectious skin disease marked by itching. It is a highly contagious skin disease caused by an infestation by the itch mite, Sarcoptes scabies. It is a situation of extremely scratchy, itchy and irritated skin caused by tiny mites. Itching is caused due to an allergic reaction from the mites. Scabies looks like small raised red spots on your skin and a pimple-like rash. It occurs due to severe itchiness on your skin. Rarely tiny burrows may be seen in the skin.
Scratching it can cause a bacterial infection of the skin. Itching can get worse at night. Scabies spreads easily from one person to another. Anyone can get it. Scabies can occur at any part of the body, especially at wrists, buttocks, under the breasts, elbows, along the waistline, between the fingers or shoulder blades. Read more, to find out about scabies and home remedies for scabies treatment.
What Causes Scabies?
- Direct, skin to skin contact (is the most common method to get scabies)
- Adults often get scabies through sexual contact.
- Contact with an infested objective, such as bedding, upholstered furniture or towel.
- Having a weak immune system also increases the risk of getting scabies.
- Children, mothers of young children, sexually active adults and residents of extended care services such as treatment homes and prison are at risk of contracting scabies.
- Individuals who have undergone an organ transplant.
Symptoms of Scabies:
- Itching, mainly at night. The itching can be intense and severe that makes a person awake at night.
- Sores, scratching the itchy rash can cause sores. A disease can grow in the Sore
- Rash, many people get the scabies rash. This rash causes tiny bumps that frequently form a line. Bumps can look like tiny bites, knots under the skin, hives or pimples.
- Thick crusts on the skin. Crusts structure when an individual develops a severe type of scabies.
Home Remedies for Scabies Treatment:
- Home Remedies for Scabies Treatment:
- 1.) Garlic for Scabies Treatment
- 2.) Turmeric for Scabies Treatment
- 3.) Cayenne Pepper to Treat Scabies
- 4.) White Vinegar to Heal Scabies
- 5.) Lavender Oil for Scabies Treatment
- 6.) Aloe Vera for Scabies Treatment
- 7.) Indica Leaves for Scabies Treatment
- 8.) Zinc for Scabies Treatment
- 9.) Clove Oil for Scabies Treatment
- 10.) Cold Soak for Scabies Treatment
- 11.) Bleach to Get Rid of Scabies
- 12.) Tea Tree Oil
- Other Ways for Scabies Treatment
- Treat Your Scabies By Yourself
1.) Garlic for Scabies Treatment
Garlic is known as the effectual home remedy for scabies. Garlic contains antibacterial properties that help in removing the real mites that occur the infection. Garlic helps to avoid other infections. It also acts on infection and prevent it. Continuous usage of garlic will help you to get rid of scabies. Methods to use garlic are:
- Take a garlic, extract the juice and then apply it on the affected area.
- Apply garlic on the affected area for 3 days.
- Take a break of 2 days before continuing in order to stop the skin from burning.
2.) Turmeric for Scabies Treatment
Turmeric is one of the best remedies to treat scabies. It contains anti-inflammatory and antiseptic properties that lead to the removal of scabies effectively. Turmeric works as a great remedy to relieve the symptoms of scabies. Methods to follow to use this remedy.
- Take a lemon and 1 tbsp of turmeric powder
- Extract the juice from lemon and add a few drops of lemon juice into 1tbsp of turmeric powder.
- Then, add some water to make a thick paste.
- After making a thick paste apply it on your affected area and leave it for an hour.
- Then, after an hour wash off it with lukewarm water.
- Repeat this process daily until you won’t get relief.
3.) Cayenne Pepper to Treat Scabies
Cayenne pepper is known as a useful home remedy for scabies removal. Cayenne pepper kills and burns the mites. It also works as a relieving agent for scabies. Use this useful remedy to get relief from scabies by following this procedure.
- Take some hot bath water and add a cup of cayenne pepper in it.
- Mix it well and soak your affected part in the bath water until the water gets cold.
- Avoid contact with eyes, it can cause burning sensation in your eyes.
- Wash off cayenne pepper with cool water.
- Use this procedure once in a day.
Note: Do not use this procedure if you have a sensitive skin.
4.) White Vinegar to Heal Scabies
White vinegar changes the pH level of the skin because of its acidic nature. White vinegar helps in reduction of scabies. pH level causes mites to die. Use this acidic remedy for getting relief from scabies by using this method.
- Take a bowl, add vinegar and water in equal quantity.
- Apply this mixture on affected area through a cotton ball.
- Leave it on the affected area for few minutes.
- Then, wash off it with lukewarm water.
5.) Lavender Oil for Scabies Treatment
Lavender oil is also another important remedy for scabies. It kills the parasites like mites and it also promotes the skin cell regeneration that helps in reduction of scabies. Mites lead to scabies and lavender oil kills the mites effectively. Follow this method to use this home remedy.
- Mix pure lavender oil and rubbing alcohol in equal quantity.
- Apply it and massage gently on your affected area.
- This process will help you to kill the mites.
- Use this procedure twice in a day regularly.
6.) Aloe Vera for Scabies Treatment
Aloe vera works effectively as a home remedy for various skin problems like scabies. It contains natural therapeutic and antimicrobial properties that help in speeding up the healing process. Use this home remedy for faster healing.
- Apply fresh Aloe Vera gel on the affected area.
- Leave it for some time and then wash off it with lukewarm water.
- Repeat this process 2 times a day for few weeks.
7.) Indica Leaves for Scabies Treatment
Indica(neem) leaves is known as one of the finest remedies for scabies. It helps to clear the mites and reduces itching due to its antifungal and antibacterial properties. Use this method by following these steps.
- Take some water and some neem leaves
- Boil the indica leaves into in a cup of water.
- Let it cool and then, drink 1 tbsp of the solution 2-3 times a day.
- Consume this solution for a week or until the reduction of the mites.
8.) Zinc for Scabies Treatment
Zinc do not cure scabies directly. It really helps to fight off secondary skin disease and prevents the fungal outbreak. Eat food which contains zinc like whole grain products, soybeans, wheat bran and sunflower seeds. Use this remedy for better results by following this method.
- Take 2-3 zinc tablets and grind them properly into a fine powder.
- Then make a thick paste after adding a little water in it.
- Apply the paste on the affected skin. Leave it until it won’t get dry naturally.
- Wash off it with lukewarm water.
- Repeat this until you won’t get relief from scabies infection.
9.) Clove Oil for Scabies Treatment
Clove oil can also help you to get rid of scabies naturally. It also contains anti-inflammatory and anti-microbial properties. Clove oil gives relief from pain and itching. Add olive oil into clove oil and apply it on the affected areas of the skin.
10.) Cold Soak for Scabies Treatment
Cold soak is known as an easiest home remedy and easy to use. A cold soak is an easy way to reduce the intense pain and itching. It also prevents spreading of scabies through itching. Applying ice cubes on the affected area of your skin will give you relief from itch and pain. Cold soak gives temporary relief, it gives relief for some time, but it will not give permanent relief from itch and pain.
11.) Bleach to Get Rid of Scabies
The bleach contains chlorine that has the capacity to kill the parasites living on your skin. Well, you will need 2 to 3 tablespoons of bleach and 1 cup of water. Mix it well to make a solution. Now with the help of a cotton swab, apply it on the infected area. After half and hour wash it off with cold water.
12.) Tea Tree Oil
Tea tree oil is one of the best home remedies to get rid of scabies. It contains the properties like antibacterial, antifungal and antiseptic to keep the infection of scabies at bay. Well, there are two different ways of using tea tree oil. First is the topical appliance on the skin. For that you will need 1 tablespoon of both olive and tea tree oil mixed together. Now apply that mixture on your affected area directly with the help of a cotton ball. The second method is to pour a few drops of tea tree oil in your bathing water. And take a bath with that diluted water.Try to follow any of the two process twice daily.
Other Ways for Scabies Treatment
1.) Know the Signs of Scabies
Any severe itching that last for weeks or months result in scabies. Sign of scabies include:
You will feel itching on the particular affected area especially at night. You can see that the small red bump will appear on the skin like a rash. The rash can spread to particular area to whole body. The most common area where are higher chances of getting scabies are the wrist, elbow between the fingers, genital area, waist and beltline. Small blister can also appear on your rashes. You can even see the small bump lines between the bumps. They are light gray in color and slightly raised.
There are some forms in scabies like Norwegian scabies or crusted scabies is different form of scabies. If the scabies is crusted scabies then you will see thick crusts on the crumble easily and may look greyish. It contains hundreds and thousands mites and eggs. This scabies are rarely seen and especially occurs to those who have suppressed immune system. Make sure you be aware about the symptoms if anyone comes in a contact having scabies.
2.) Consult to a Doctor
It is really important to consult a doctor. If you are suffering from the scabies then over the counter and home remedies will not treat the infestation completely. Your doctor will only see the rash to diagnose the condition. He might only take the sample by just scraping under the bumps and your doctor will look over the presence of the mites, eggs and feces under the microscope.
Always make sure to tell everything about your body condition, ask your doctor if you are pregnant or have any problems such as serious illness or other skin diseases.
3.) Treat the Itch Yourself While You Wait for the Doctor
If your itching is serious and you want to cure it by own while you wait for the doctor’s appointment or prescription, then you need to soak the affected area in the cold water and better to apply calamine lotion which surely gives you relief from the scary itching. You can also take the over the counter oral antihistamine such as cetirizine, diphenhydramine hydrochloride.
4.) Ask for the Prescription
Once you are done with the diagnosed, your doctor will usually prescribe a mite killing cream or lotion containing five percent Permethrin. But make sure after taking the prescription, you use it in right way as the doctor have told you or the pharmacist instruction while using the cream.
When you are going to apply the permethrin then you will feel certain itching, burning or stinging. Don’t get scared as it is normal. Permethrin will only help you to kill the mites not the eggs so to complete the application you need to apply it again after certain time gap. You just have to take the two application at least one week apart is the minimum treatment required to make sure it is eradicated.
For people, who are taking serious infestation and weakened immune system, you doctor will prescribe lvermectin as an oral treatment. It is an oral treatment. It is generally used for the crusted scabies and taken as a single time dose. Some doctors recommend a second dose after one week.
5.) Talk About the Herbal Remedies
Many herbs are traditionally used for treating scabies. There is little proof that these remedies are effective- most evidence is anecdotal, people say that these herbal remedies are helpful. But there is no significant backed evidence to support their use. Currently the proven remedy is prescription medication. Do not depend on these treatments alone. Talk to your doctor before using any of the herbal remedies.
Treat Your Scabies By Yourself
1.) Take a Shower and Use a Dry Towel
First you need to take the shower as the shower will definitely reduce the effect of infection. Then use fresh and clean dry towel to absorb the moisture as moisture helps in spreading the infection. Shower not only reduces the effect it also helps your body to cool down before applying the medication.
2.) Use Cream or Lotion
Apply the prescription lotion and the cream which is recommended by the doctor. Just starts from the behind the ears to the jaw line and work way down. For better way, you can use cotton swab or paint brush to apply the treatment. Keep rubbing the cream downward over the entire body. You need to avoid the eyes, nose and mouth area. Apply the creams on your genitals, soles of the feet, between your toes, back and buttocks. Just take the help of the area where you can’t reach by yourself.
After applying the lotion to your whole body, just take care of your hands. Apply between the fingers and your nails to cover the skin properly. You have to apply the creams again to your hands every time you wash them.
3.) Just Have Patience
You just have to leave the lotion or cream on the body for some certain time that are recommended at the label of the cream or advised by the doctor. The usual time is between eight to 24 hours.
The length of the time you will need to leave the medication on your skin will depend on the production and your doctor’s instruction.
4.) Shower off the Cream and Lotion
Once the allotted time is over then you need to clean the medication with warm water. Be aware that you feel itchiness for some week after the treatment. It is because that the allergic reactions to the mites will remain continue as the dead mites are still in the skin. If it is making you in trouble then visit to the doctor again.
5.) Treat Every Member of the House
The entire household member needs the treatment on the same day, even if you are not showing the signs of scabies. If you treat every member then it will help in to prevent infestation. Don’t forget those visitors who are regular to your house. This include those member also those who are staying in your house for length of time, babysitters and other visitors.