In this article, you will get to know about different home remedies for whiteheads. Whiteheads are milder forms of other skin problems such as acne and pimples. Whiteheads are the result of excessive oil, dirt and dead skin cells clogged in the skin. The oil production through sebaceous glands is a natural process. However, the uncontrolled secretion of oil leads to the whiteheads occurrence. Since inner components clogged in the skin does not get oxygen, so they remain white, therefore, they are known as whiteheads. The whiteheads or white pustules are prominent on nose, foreheads, chin and cheekbone. This skin problem is common in both males and females. But women and people with oily skin are more prone to whiteheads due to excessive oil production. There are ample numbers of home remedies for whiteheads but before that, you must be aware of the symptoms and causes of whiteheads.
Symptoms of Whiteheads:
- Small white pimple on nose or foreheads, chin and cheekbone. Harsh skin surface.
- Tiny bumps under the skin without opening.
- Symptoms of whiteheads are similar to acne but these are not painful like acne.
Causes of Whiteheads:
- The prime cause of whiteheads is excessive production of natural oil. This is at peak during hormonal changes during puberty, pregnancy, pregnancy, menstruation, and menopause.
- Intake of medicines such as corticosteroids, Lithium, anticonvulsants, barbiturates, androgenic steroids, DHEA, and medications that contain bromides, or iodides and beauty products with high oil content can cause whiteheads, blackheads, and other skin problems.
- If any of your family members has had it, then you are at higher risk of the getting whiteheads.
- Clogging of bacteria and dead skin cells along with dirt in the skin.
- Food products such as curd, milk and other dairy products contain natural saturated fats and hormones. Moreover, food with high sugar raises insulin levels which produce more testosterones (male hormones) in the body. The testosterones further stimulate oil gland activity which results as whiteheads.
Home Remedies for Whiteheads:
- Home Remedies for Whiteheads:
- Essential Home Remedies for Whiteheads:
Whiteheads can be easily cured with home remedies all you have to do is look around and make the best use of them. Following is a list of home remedies for whiteheads.
1.) Facial Steam or Sauna to Treat the Whiteheads
This is one of the best home remedies for whiteheads. Steam or sauna opens the pores and clears the dirt and excessive oil present in the skin pores. It is the basic home remedy to get rid of whiteheads.
How to take a steam?
- Boil 2-3 cups of water in a pan.
- Wash your face thoroughly with the face wash or soap which suits your skin type. Do not forget to remove your makeup properly before inhaling the steam, otherwise, it will aggravate your skin problem during the steam.
- Pour the boiled water into the pot or a bowl. You can also add some herbs or essential oils or herbal teabag in the boiled water. Lemmon and peppermint oil will energize your skin whereas chamomile or lavender oil will soothe your facial skin. So you can add any of these essential oils.
- Take a towel and place it in such a way that it covers your face, head, and the bowl and does not allow the air to step outside.
- Inhale the steam for 8-10 minutes. Close your eyes and breath deeply. The steam will open your pores. Avoid close contact with the bowl and do not exceed it more than 10 minutes. The water should not be too warm otherwise, it may cause inflammation.
- After taking the steam, rinse your face with fresh water and pat dry. After steam does apply a face pack to close the open skin pores.
2.) Exfoliation to Cure Whiteheads
Steaming unblocks the pores whereas mild scrubbing eliminates the dirt, oil, bacteria present in the skin. Always use a mild scrub according to your skin type with less oil content. Avoid scrubs with chemicals as they can worsen your problem. Instead, you can go for homemade face scrubs such as:
- Almond, Oats, and, Milk Scrub – Grind 2-3 almonds along with half spoon oats. Do not churn it into the oil. Add a 2-3 spoon of milk and mix it well. Apply this paste on your face and gently rub it for 2-3 minutes. It will increase the blood flow to the skin. After rubbing, let it dry and then rinse your face properly with lukewarm water.
- A mixture of Sandalwood, Turmeric, Lime and Rose water – Take a bowl and mix a tablespoon of sandalwood, half tablespoon lime juice (you can exclude it if lime does not suit your face) and two tablespoons of rose water in it. Apply the paste for 15-20 minutes and wash it when it dries. Use can use this scrub three-four times in a week.
- Gram flour with milk and rose water- Apply the paste of all the three ingredients on your face and wash it, when it dries. The rough texture of the gram flour will remove the whiteheads and will give you a supple skin.
- Fenugreek Granules– Take dry fenugreek leaves and grind it to a rough powder and add fresh water to it, mix it well. Rub the thick paste on the affected parts and clean it with lukewarm water once it gets dry.
3.) Face Pack to Get Rid of Whiteheads
Steam and exfoliation opens the skin pores and cleans it. After this you need to close the facial pores otherwise, it will attract the environmental dirt and cause other skin problems. Clay face masks are the ideal mask for closing the pores. There are ample numbers of clay face packs available in the market, you can choose any of them. However, a natural face pack is ideal for your face since it does not contain chemicals. Fuller earth is the best example of it. It works wonders on your skin. Just add a few drops of rose water or normal water in it and apply it on your face, wash it once it gets dry. After this do not forget to apply a moisturizer.
- Just add a few drops of rose water or normal water in it and apply it on your face
- Wash it once it gets dry.
- After this do not forget to apply a moisturizer.
4.) Apple Cider Vinegar to Cure Whiteheads
Apple cider vinegar is a natural astringent. It wipes off the extra oil. Moreover, it contains antibacterial and antiseptic properties that cure whiteheads, blackheads, acne and other skin conditions as well. All you have to do is:
- In a cup of water mix a tablespoon of ACV thoroughly.
- With a help of a cotton swab spread this solution over the key areas.
- Leave it on for a few minutes then rinse it off with water.
- You can use this solution regularly to clean your face.
5.) Other Household Remedies For Whiteheads
- Tomato – Rubbing tomato pulp on the face, since the red vegetable is rich in Vitamin C, it will remove dullness and make your skin pleasant.
- Potato Face Mask – Cut the potato into two halves and rub the white part on your face and leave it for 20-30 minutes. Or, grate the potato and apply the pulp on the face and wash it after half an hour.
- Egg and Honey – Egg white will make your skin firm and honey will moisturize it. You can apply only honey also.
- Sugar and Olive Oil – Grind the sugar into powder form and mix olive oil in it. Rub the paste on the affected part through the toothbrush for 7-10 minutes and then wash it properly. Sugar will wipe off the white heads and olive oil will moisturize the dried part.
- Yogurt – Wash your face with yogurt twice a day it will remove the tanning and provide you whiteheads free skin.
Essential Home Remedies for Whiteheads:
1.) Apply Moisturizer to Hydrate Your Skin
After the mask, apply a light moisturizer on your face to remove the dryness caused by exfoliation. Apply moisturizer at least twice a day. However, make sure that you use a correct moisturizer that suits your skin type. Make sure that moisturizer does not contain excessive oil.
2.) Consume Water For Healthy and Glowing Skin
Drink 8-10 glass of water in a day. It will remove all the toxins from your body system. Drinking plenty of water, treats other skin problems such as acne, blackheads and acne as well. It is the easiest remedy for whiteheads. Apart from the water drink detox drinks, coconut water, and green tea.
3.) Eating habits Play a Crucial Role
Avoid spicy and oily food. Include green leafy vegetables and fresh fruits in your diet. Follow a balanced diet chart, especially during puberty, pregnancy, menopause and menstruation. Though it will not show any instant impact on your skin, but it is the safest remedy for whiteheads. Moreover, this is the best way to prevent skin problems.
4.) Cleanliness is an Ideal Remedy for Whiteheads
Keep your face and hair clean. Wash your bed sheets, pillow covers regularly to eliminate the germs present in it.
5.) Be Gentle with Whiteheads
Do not scratch the affected part. Use clean and soft hankie. Touching whiteheads will spread the germs and you might get whiteheads at another body part. So avoid touching them. And, use gentle facial products.
Apart from above remedies for whiteheads, regular exercise and yoga are also one of the home remedies for every skin problem. For more information read How to get rid of whiteheads naturally?