This article is about how to get rid of fleas from cats. Fleas are the blood sucking insects which makes your pets their home to thrive and multiply. They can cause your dog, cat or any pet to suffer a lot from itchiness and irritation. A scratching cat isn’t one you would want to hold in your arms. Plus, you will not like fleas from it to jump on you. When these fleas grow in large number they easily infest your house. In order to get rid of fleas from cats, you must keep the area in and around your house free from fleas. This is because even if you succeed in making your cat free from fleas, there will always be the possibility of them making your cat a host again. You might have tried many methods already, but would have not got positive results. This can be due to the improper or incomplete implementation of these methods. It is necessary to know the actual cause behind the problem first. We have listed below some of the best methods to keep your home and pet fleas-free completely.
A.) Clean Your House to Get Rid of Fleas From Cats:
- A.) Clean Your House to Get Rid of Fleas From Cats:
- B.) Ways to Get Rid of Fleas From Cats:
It is very necessary to keep your house free from fleas. This will prevent your cat from getting infected by fleas present inside the house. Below we have mentioned different method to keep your house clean. Follow them properly to prevent your cat and home from the annoying blood suckers.
1.) Dehumidifier to Get Rid of Fleas Fast
Humidity is one of the most common reasons for infestation of fleas in your house. Fleas and some other insects prefer a humid and moist environment to thrive and multiply. So, decreasing the humidity level in your house will prevent congregation of fleas and other insects. Using a dehumidifier, you can easily control the humidity level in your house.
- Most insects, including fleas need more than 50% humidity to live. So, by keeping the humidity level below 50% will help eliminate fleas.
- It will also help prevent flea eggs from hatching.
- Thus, your house will be free from fleas. This in turn reduce the chances of your pet to get affected by fleas.
- Keep dehumidifier to those places where there is more chances of fleas thriving.
2.) Avoid Clutters to Prevent of Fleas From Cats
Another preferable condition which fleas get attracted to is cool and dark area in and around your home. Fleas do not like exposure to sunlight, that’s why loves to live in dark spaces. If you have a store-room full of unused items and furniture, you are more likely to have fleas hiding in there. So, it’s better to get rid of such unused items in order to discourage fleas from making such places their home. If you can’t get rid of these things, try to clean such places regularly. For this follow the suggestions mentioned below.
- Use a vacuum cleaner to clean carpets, upholstered furniture and other places where it is difficult to reach.
- After cleaning, throw the vacuum bag in the trash.
- Remember to cover the trash to prevent these crawlers from finding a way back to your house.
3.) Stop Stray Animals from Entering In and Around Your House
Prevent stray animal such as rodents, cats, dogs and others from gaining access to your yard. Such animals more often carry fleas and other insects and bacteria over them. Fleas from these stray animals can get attracted to your house due to availability of food and perfect living condition for them.
- To avoid fleas from cats and house, keep wood piles and bird feeders far away from your home.
- Raise some fencing, block crawl spaces and plant trees which discourage such animals.
- For example, plants like butterfly bush, boxwood, jasmine and many other plants. You can consult a local nursery for more suggestions.
4.) Call Pest Control Services to Prevent Fleas Infestation
If you have encountered fleas congregating in a very large numbers in and around your house, you must seek for pest control services. You can also buy some inexpensive environment friendly pesticides to spray around your house.
- Firstly you need to check your yard for fleas.
- For this, wear knee-length socks and walk around.
- You will be able to see fleas stuck on your socks.
- Spray the pesticides to such places and those where your cat usually rests.
- Wear gloves and a mask to prevent yourself from toxicity caused by these harmful pesticides.
- Spray it in your cat house, shady areas and other damp and dark places where fleas get attracted the most.
5.) Diatomaceous Earth to Get Rid of Fleas Fast
Diatomaceous earth is a natural item which is an effective way to get rid of fleas from cats. Diatomaceous helps to kill fleas, ticks and other insects quite easily. It dehydrates and destroys their bodies after they consume this powder.
- Just sprinkle it around the yard where fleas congregate the most.
- Take preventive measures while using it.
- Remember to wear gloves and a mask to prevent yourself from its harmful effects.
- Buy only food grade diatomaceous earth.
- Avoid touching this powder with bare hands and also avoid ingesting and breathing it.
- This powder is very sharp and can affect your skin and lungs if touched or inhaled.
B.) Ways to Get Rid of Fleas From Cats:
1.) Bathe Your Cat to Get Rid of Fleas
Bathing is the foremost thing to get your cat get rid of fleas, ticks, etc. Use any gentle shampoo to bathe your pet. Start with neck to prevent fleas from jumping up to the head during a bath. Be careful as you may encounter fleas coming off and floating around the water. Though these fleas can’t live on humans, but they can definitely bite you. You can use an anti-dandruff shampoo as it contains some acids which fleas can’t tolerate and gets killed due to it. Pick off any left fleas still sticking on the cat. Bathing is also one of the best home remedies to get rid of fleas dogs.
2.) Combing as a Remedy to Get Rid of Fleas From Cats
After your cat gets dry, use a comb which is specially designed to eliminate stubborn fleas that are left on the cat. Use the brush in same pattern all over the fur of the cat. Combing in same pattern will help get rid of fleas fast. You can spray some warm lemon water on the brush before combing. Below is the method to do it.
- Just cut a few pieces of a lemon and boil them in water.
- Steep and strain the water in a bowl. Soak your brush in this water.
- Now, comb slowly to eliminate fleas from your cat.
- Fleas are not able to bear the smell of lemon and tends to get away from it. So, combing with lemon is a great way to get rid of fleas from cats.
3.) Flea Collar to Get Rid of Fleas From Cats
Take a neckerchief or cat’s collar and put a few drops of tea tree oil, lavender oil, eucalyptus oil or any other essential oil. Tie the neckerchief around cat’s neck. This will prevent and help remove fleas from the cat. Repeat this every week. Do not use such essential oil directly on cats. This is because they are extremely sensitive to these oils, especially tea tree and eucalyptus oils.
- Use least amount of such oils as it can cause your cat vomiting, nausea, laziness and weakness. So, be careful while using this remedy.
4.) Apple Cider Vinegar Spray or Bath to Get Rid of Fleas From Cats
Fill Apple cider vinegar or ACV in a spray bottle and spray directly on your cat’s fur (avoiding face and private area). If your cat can’t tolerate pure ACV, dilute it with water to reduce its strength. Other than that, you can bathe your cat with ACV or mild shampoo and ACV mixed. During bathing start from the neck and gently wash everywhere. Leave it for 5 to 10 minutes before washing it off. After cleaning with water, pat your cat dry with a clean towel and brush with a flea comb.
5.) Keep the Home and Belonging of Cat Clean
Wash the bedding of your cats regularly in order to prevent fleas from thriving. Mix apple cider vinegar or any essential oil to wash the bedding. It will work effectively to keep away the fleas from getting closer to the cat’s bedding. Also, try to clean your cat’s house regularly for eliminating fleas infestation present in their home. Spray some mild or diluted essential oil or apple cider vinegar in the cat’s house. Keep it exposed to sunlight for a few hours. As fleas can’t tolerate sunlight exposure, which makes it easier to get rid of fleas.