In this article, we will tell you about different remedies to get rid of whiteheads. Whiteheads or closed comedones are milder forms of acne which are caused due to the clogged skin pores. The skin pores are blocked with dirt, sebum, and dead skin. There is a small gland in the skin known as a sebaceous gland. It releases oil or waxy matter known as sebum and natural oil in laymen term. However, if the oil is produced in excess, it builds up in the pores along with dead skin and dirt and thus leads to clogged pores. This gives way to white pustules or whiteheads. The color of the pustules is white or light yellow. This is because it does not get oxygen from outside since the pores are closed. Nose, temple, forehead, cheekbone and chin are the key areas of whiteheads. This skin condition is common among both, males and females. However, people with oily skin are more susceptible to white heads. Read more, to know about whiteheads and remedies to get rid of whiteheads.
Symptoms of Whiteheads:
- Clogged skin pores
- Small whitish bumps (pustules)
- The Harsh surface of the nose, cheeks, chin or chest
Causes of Whiteheads:
The root cause of whiteheads is clogged pores. The skin pores are blocked with oil, dead skin cells and bacteria because of the following reasons:
- Hormonal Changes – Generally whiteheads occur during puberty that is between 9 to 16-year-old teenagers. The human body at this stage goes through various changes in the hormones that affect the body development internally and physically. At this stage the amount of oil secretion is high. Apart from puberty, the excessive oil is produced during pregnancy, menstruation, and menopause.
- Medications – Certain drugs such as corticosteroids, anticonvulsants, barbiturates, androgenic steroids, DHEA, Lithium and medications that contain iodides or bromides can cause whiteheads blackheads and acne.
- Genes – The family history of the person plays a crucial role. If your relative or family member has had whiteheads then the percentage of whiteheads occurrence in you increases.
- Beauty Products – Some beauty products with high content of oil or which does not suit your skin also leads skin problems such as whiteheads, blackheads, and acne.
- Bacteria Buildup– The bacteria built along with the oil and dirt give way to whiteheads.
- Dead Skin – Irregular shedding of dead skin.
- Dairy Food Products – Food products like curd, milk and other dairy products contain natural saturated fats and hormones. Moreover, a food with high sugar raises insulin levels which produce more testosterone (male hormones) in the body. The testosterone further stimulate oil gland activity which results as whiteheads.
- Stress is also a common cause of skin conditions.
Remedies to Get Rid of Whiteheads:
There are different remedies which will help you to get rid of whiteheads. Following are the few ways which will give whiteheads free skin.
1.) Beauty Treatment to Get Rid of Whiteheads Fast
- Exfoliating: It removes the dead skin cell, trapped in the skin pores. Exfoliating once and twice will help you to get rid of whiteheads. There is a bundle of exfoliators available in the market. However, to be on the safer side, it’s best to use natural or homemade exfoliators. The paste of oatmeal, almonds and milk are an ideal homemade scrub to get rid of whiteheads naturally. In a bowl add 1 tbsp of oats, 1-2 crushed almonds, and milk to make a fine paste. Mix all the ingredients thoroughly. Wash your face and key area, pat them dry and apply this paste. Leave it on for 10-15 minutes and then rinse it off. After exfoliation rinse your face with clean water. Avoid cold water. Use a skin toner according to a skin to close the pores or wrap ice cubes in the cotton cloth and massage it over your face.
- Steam: After exfoliation take a steam. It will open your pores and wash out the dirt. For this, fill a bowl with warm water, add green tea leaves, essential oils such as lavender or etc. Then make a tent with a towel in such a way that you cover your face and bowl properly. Now inhale the steam for 7-8 minutes. Then apply a face mask or just apply cold compress to close the pores.
- Face Mask: Clay masks discards dead skin cells. Add earth clay or any other clay in water or rose water and apply it, you can also add honey to it. It will also show the same effect. A Thick paste of baking soda and water is a cheap and ideal homemade face mask. Similarly, you can also apply cucumber and lemon juice on your face for approximately 20-30 minutes. You can also apply cinnamon mask alternatively. Let the mask dry and then wash your face. Then apply a moisturiser.
- Hydrating Your Face: To keep the dryness at bay, it’s important to moisturize your skin at regular interval. Apply oil-free moisturizers that contain salicylic acid after exfoliation. Use light moisturizer as heavy moisturizers tend to clog the skin pore.
- Use nose strips to get rid of whiteheads present on your nose. Though it is a temporary solution, but cleans the nose for once.
2.) Maintain a Good Hygiene to Get Rid of Whiteheads
To prevent whiteheads, blackheads, acne, pimples and other skin conditions, it’s better to maintain a healthy hygiene.
- Wash your face twice a day with a mild face wash or cleanser. It will help you to minimize the secretion of oil and prevent whiteheads.
- Washing hands are equally important as bacteria, dead skin, dirt which causes whiteheads are transmitted on the face from hands only. Moreover, touching the bumps constantly might worsen the problem. So avoid touching the whiteheads.
- Change your bed sheets and pillow cover regularly. Filthy bed sheets and pillow covers provide shelter to germs and bacteria. Moreover, use clean and soft hanky which does not aggravate the skin problems. Also, do not touch the affected part as it can inflame the whiteheads.
3.) Remove Makeup to Get Rid of Whiteheads
Remove makeup before you go to sleep. Makeup clogs the pores and leads whiteheads occurrence. Cleansing milk or baby oil can be used as the substitutes of the makeup remover. Take a cotton ball and dip it in the makeup remover or vitamin E oil and remove the makeup. After removing the makeup, wash your face thoroughly and apply a moisturizer. This is one of the good ways to treat whiteheads naturally.
4.) Balanced Diet For Clean and Supple Skin
Including foods such as salmon, beans, turmeric, ginger, green tea, nuts, blackberry, green leafy vegetables, and eggs will help you keep the white bumps at the bay. It will also help to get rid of whiteheads naturally. Moreover, avoid oily and spicy food, alcohol, carbonated drinks, chocolates, and coffee as they give way to whiteheads.
5.) Avoid Exposure to Sun to Get Rid of Whiteheads
Precaution is better than cure so it is always better to take precautions which will help you get rid of whiteheads. Apply sunscreen cream before stepping out. And, try to keep your body covered while traveling or moving out. Use an SPF with minimum 30. It will protect your skin and avoid whiteheads. Ad if you already have whiteheads then it will not make the condition and help to treat the whiteheads.
6.) Drink Plenty of Water to Get Rid of Whiteheads
Drinking plenty of water is one of the best home remedies for whiteheads. It detoxifies the toxins from your body system and keep your skin hydrated. Moreover, it also hydrates your body and keep all the skin problems at the bay. So drink at least 8-10 glasses of water a day.
7.) Exercise to Get Rid of Whiteheads Naturally
Regular exercise helps to clean the body system and prevents skin problems such as whiteheads, blackheads, pimples, acne and other skin conditions. Moreover, it will also help you to cure whiteheads. Exercising flushes out the excessive oil provides oxygen to the skin and makes it healthy. In addition, it increases the blood flow, nourishes skin cell and provides basic nutrients to the skin.
8.) Sleeping Habits to Cure Whiteheads
Take a sufficient sleep to keep the skin conditions at the bay. 7-8 hours sleep is sufficient. Moreover, sleep on time. Lack of sleep leads to stress that gives way to whiteheads, blackheads, acne, and pimples.
9.) Treat Dandruff to Get Rid of Whiteheads Naturally
Flaky particles such as dandruff also lead skin problems. Clean your hair regularly and tie them properly so that the strand does not fall on the forehead. This will help you get rid of whiteheads and protects your eyes as well.
10.) Beauty Creams to Get Rid of Whiteheads Fast
You can use Benzyl peroxide to get rid of the whiteheads. Apply it on the affected area and wash it after 50-10 minutes. You can also apply salicylic acid, it kills the bacteria. Alternatively, retinol creams will also help you to get rid of whiteheads fast. However, mind the dosage. It is always better to consult a dermatologist before applying a cream. Moreover, do a patch test before applying any of the cream Patch tests will help you known whether the cream suits you or not.
For more information read the article home remedies for whiteheads