This article is about the ways to treat gum disease with home made remedies. There are two types gum diseases that are gingivitis and periodontitis also known as pyorrhea or periodontal disease. Peri means around and odontal refers to teeth. This condition is characterized by an infection around the teeth. It begins with the growth of bacteria in the mouth followed by inflammation in the gum, which is also known as gingivitis. If the problem is not treated timely, it leads to periodontitis. Due to this, the space between the gums and teeth become prominent. The debris accumulates in space and leads to infection. As a result, the person can also experiences tooth loss. Gum disease is one of the prime cause of tooth loss in adults. If you don’t want to lose your teeth, then start maintaining oral hygiene and treat the problem at its onset. You can also treat gum disease with homemade remedies.
Symptoms of Gum Disease:
- Bleeding in gums after the toothbrush
- Tenderness and swelling of the gums.
- Bad breath and a bad taste.
- Teeth lose
- Pain in teeth while chewing
- Longer appearing teeth
Causes of Gum Disease:
- Poor oral hygiene.
- Hormonal changes
- Certain medications.
- The family history of gum disease.
Remedies to Teat Gum Disease with Homemade Remedies:
- Remedies to Teat Gum Disease with Homemade Remedies:
- 1.) Oil Pulling to Treat Gum Disease
- 2.) Tea Tree Oil to Treat Gum Disease
- 3.) Myrrh to Treat the Gum Disease
- 4.) Hydrogen Peroxide to Treat Gum Disease
- 5.) Cranberry Juice to Treat Gum Disease
- 6.) Aloe-Vera to Treat Gum Disease
- 7.) Tea-Bags to treat Gum Disease
- 8.) Chamomile Tea to Treat Gum Disease
- 9.) Sea Salt to Treat Gum Diseases
- 10.) Coconut Oil to Treat Gum Disease
- 12.) Vitamin D to Treat Gum Disease
1.) Oil Pulling to Treat Gum Disease
Oil pulling has been used since ancient time to treat the oral problems. It is the most effective and reliable remedy to treat gum and tooth infection. It reduces the plaque (a sticky layer on the teeth which generates bacteria) and helps you to get rid of bad breath.
How to Do Oil Pulling?
- Swish a tablespoon of coconut or sesame oil, covering the gums and teeth.
- Continue this until the oil changes in milky color.
- Spit it and rinse your mouth with warm water.
- Do this regularly 2-3 times a day until you get the relief from the gum disease symptoms.
2.) Tea Tree Oil to Treat Gum Disease
The anti-inflammatory properties of tea tree oil make it a perfect home remedy for gum disease. It soothes the inflammation around the gums.
How to Use Tea Tree Oil to Cure Gum Disease?
- Use toothpaste that has sufficient content of tea tree oil.
- Or, mix tea tree oil in your toothpaste while brushing your teeth.
- Brush your teeth 2- times a day, especially before going to the bed.
3.) Myrrh to Treat the Gum Disease
Another home remedy which you can use for treating the gum disease is myrrh. Since it is antiseptic, a natural astringent and contain antibacterial properties, therefore, it is the excellent remedy for gum disease. You can use myrrh, even to cure sore gums.
How to Use Myrhh to Get Rid of Gum Disease?
- In a cup of warm water, mix a few drops of myrrh tincture, a pinch of salt and use it to rinse your mouth.
- Do this 2-3 times a day until you get relief from the gum disease.
4.) Hydrogen Peroxide to Treat Gum Disease
Hydrogen peroxide acts as an anti-bacterial agent. It kills the bacteria which leads gum disease. You can also use it to whiten your teeth. However, use only 3 percent hydrogen peroxide, rather than the highly concentrated solution.
How to Use Hydrogen Peroxide to Cure Gum Disease?
- In a glass mix equal amount of water and hydrogen peroxide.
- Use this solution to gargle.
- Follow this remedy until the symptoms of gum disease vanish away completely.
- Or, mix a few drops of hydrogen peroxide in a teaspoon of baking soda to make a thick paste. Mix this paste with your toothpaste. And use this to brush regularly.
- P.S – Don’t swallow hydrogen peroxide.
5.) Cranberry Juice to Treat Gum Disease
Cranberry juice is a rich source of vitamin C therefore, it can be used to treat the gum infection. It is found that people with lower intake of Vitamin C are at high risk of gum disease.
How to Treat Gum Disease with Cranberry?
- Drink 2 tablespoons of cranberry juice regularly to prevent the bacterial growth in the mouth.
- Include Vitamin C rich foods in your diet. Lemon, gooseberry, orange, etc.are a good source of Vitamin C.
- You can also take Vitamin C supplements.
6.) Aloe-Vera to Treat Gum Disease
Aloe-Vera is packed with inflammatory and healing properties, thus, it is an ideal home remedy for gum disease. It stops the bacteria growth and helps you to get rid of bad breath and mouth ulcers as well.
How to Use Aloe-Vera Gel to Prevent Gum Disease?
- Extract Fresh gel from the Aloe-Vera plant and massage it over the gums. Leave it on for 20-30 minutes and then rinse it off.
- Swishing Aloe-Vera juice will be equally beneficial.
- Drinking Aloe-Vera juice regularly with a few of drops of lemon will also solve your problem.
- Do this until the symptoms of gum disease subsides.
7.) Tea-Bags to treat Gum Disease
Black tea contains tannic acid that prevents the inflammation, pain and swelling around the gums. Also, it contains antioxidants that come handy for treating the gum infection.
How to Use Tea-Bags to Cure Gum Disease?
- In a glass of hot water, steep black tea bag for 8-10 minutes. Then leave to cool at room temperature.
- Hold this tea bag against the infected gums for a few minutes.
- Do this regularly until you get rid of gum disease.
8.) Chamomile Tea to Treat Gum Disease
Another household remedy which can solve your oral problem is chamomile tea. It has anti- inflammatory and antiseptic properties, that reduces the inflammation, swelling and pain in the gums.
Hot to Get Rid of Gum Disease with Chamomile?
- In a cup of hot water mix 2-3 teaspoons of chamomile flower.
- Steep it for 7-10 minutes
- Then strain the solution. Use this tea to rinse your mouth.
- Rinse your mouth regularly with this tea 2 times a day until the gum disease subsides.
9.) Sea Salt to Treat Gum Diseases
Sea salt is enriched with the minerals that help to treat the swelling and pain around the gums. Also, it inhibits bacteria growth.
How to Use Sea Salt to Cure Gum Disease?
- In a cup of warm water, mix a half teaspoon of sea salt thoroughly.
- Use this salty water to swish around the mouth.
- Follow this remedy 2-3 times in a day until you get relief from the infection.
10.) Coconut Oil to Treat Gum Disease
You can also use coconut oil to aid the gum disease. It has anti-inflammatory and antibacterial properties which make it an excellent remedy for gum problem.
How to Use Coconut Oit to Prevent Gum Disease?
- In a small bowl, mix 2 tablespoons of baking soda and coconut oil.
- Replace your toothpaste with this mixture to treat your gum problem.
11.) Honey to Treat Gum Disease
Honey is an ideal home remedy for gum disease because it has antiseptic and antibacterial properties. These properties help to treat the inflammation and swelling around the gums. Moreover, regular application of honey will also help to treat pyorrhea and gingivitis.
How to Use Honey to Cure Gum Disease?
- Place a pea size honey on your toothbrush and gently brush your teeth regularly with this.
- Or, after brushing rub honey on the gums.
- Do this at least 2 times a day especially before going to bed.
12.) Vitamin D to Treat Gum Disease
Your diet should include foods that are a rich source of VtamIn D. It has anti-inflammatory properties that help to treat the gum disease.
Sources of Vitamin D
- Foo0ds such as whole eggs, salmon, cold liver oil, sunflower seeds are good sources of Vitamin D.
- Go for at least 15-20 minutes for sun bath.
- Consume Vitamin D supplements.
Other Useful Tips to Prevent Gum Disease?
- Maintain adequate oral hygiene.
- Visit your dentist regularly.
- Be gentle with your gums and teeth.
- Visit your dentist for regular checkups.