Are you getting a stinky smell from your hair? Is it affecting your social circle? Do the people start ignoring you? Well, if you will not give proper care to your hair, then obviously they will smell bad. Bad body and hair odor can simply repel few people from your social circle. The basic reason for smelly hair is the accumulation of pollutants and dirt particles on the hair scalp. Therefore, it is very important to get rid of smelly hair as soon as possible. There is no need to spend more money in the fee of parlor for treating smelly hair. If you want a permanent solution, then use various home remedies to get rid of smelly hair.
What Causes Smelly Hair?
The basic reason behind smelly hair is microbial growth. The fungus that grows on your hair scalp causes bad odor in your hair. It may even occur due to the sweaty, greasy and oily scalp of the hair.
Home Remedies to Get Rid of Smelly Hair:
Here are few home remedies that you may use to get rid of smelly hair. You may simply use these natural treatments at your home.
1.) Apply Baking Soda to Get Rid of Smelly Hair:
- 1.) Apply Baking Soda to Get Rid of Smelly Hair:
- 2.) Apple Cider Vinegar to Get Rid of Smelly Hair:
- 3.) Lemon Juice to Get Rid of Smelly Hair:
- 4.) Tomato Juice to Get Rid of Smelly Hair:
- 5.) Tea Tree Oil to Get Rid of Smelly Hair:
- 6.) Indica to Get Rid of Smelly Hair:
- 7.) Aloe Vera to Get Rid of Smelly Hair:
- 8.) Orange Peels to Get Rid of Smelly Hair:
- 9.) Vodka to Get Rid of Smelly Hair:
- 10.) Honey and Cinnamon to Get Rid of Smelly Hair:
- Keep Smelling Out of Your Hair to Get Rid of Smelly Hair
- Products to Get Rid of Smelly Hair
Baking soda is one of the most effective home remedies to get rid of smelly hair. It is the best remedy that can neutralize the foul odors while reducing oil from your scalp. To apply this remedy, follow these steps:
- Take three parts of water and add one part of baking soda in it.
- Mix it well and prepare a paste.
- Apply this paste on damp hair.
- Leave it on your hair for about five minutes.
- Now, wash your hair effectively with water.
- Repeat this process once in a week to get rid of smelly hair.
2.) Apple Cider Vinegar to Get Rid of Smelly Hair:
It is a natural hair clarifier that helps in removing product buildup, which is considered to be one of the major cause of smelly and oily hair. It even helps in restoring the pH scale of your hair. It also makes your hair shiny and even prevents frizziness in it. To prepare this remedy, just follow these steps:
- Take two cups of distilled water and add one and a half cup of organic apple cider vinegar in it. Now, prepare a solution by mixing both of these ingredients together. Also, mix three drops of an essential oil like rosemary oil, lavender oil or any other oil in this solution. Just spray this solution on your hair. Also, let it sit for a few minutes. At last, just rinse it out with the help of cold water.
- You can also use another alternate way by rinsing your hair with a solution of one cup of water and one and a half tablespoon of apple cider vinegar. Leave this solution for one minute, before washing it off with water.
3.) Lemon Juice to Get Rid of Smelly Hair:
Lemon juice is an excellent cleanser for hair as well as your body. It is a great cleansing agent that can remove all the dirt and dust particles from your hair. Moreover, it will make your hair smooth, silky, and shiny. It can also fight from different kind of hair problems like scalp infections and dandruff. To prepare this remedy, just follow these steps:
- Squeeze two lemons and extract juice from it. Now, add lemon juice in one cup of water. After this, just clean your hair with the help of shampoo. Once you have washed your hair, just apply a mixture of lemon and water on your hair scalp. Leave this mixture on your hair and scalp for a few minutes. At last, just rinse it off. Apply this remedy once or twice a week to get rid of smelly hair.
- If you are having a fungal infection on the scalp, then simply mix one lemon juice in one cup of plain yogurt. Apply it on your hair and scalp effectively. Now, leave it on for 30 minutes. After 30 minutes, rinse it off with water. Apply this remedy once in a week to get rid of smelly hair.
- Another alternate way is to combine lemon juice with any kind of essential oil like lavender or rosemary. Mix these ingredients well and prepare a mixture. Apply this mixture on your hair and scalp. Leave it on your hair overnight. Apply this remedy two or three times a week to get rid of smelly hair.
4.) Tomato Juice to Get Rid of Smelly Hair:
Tomato juice helps in maintaining the pH level of hair while removing all kinds of foul odors from it. To prepare this remedy, follow these steps:
- Apply a fresh tomato juice on the scalp.
- Leave this solution for 10-15 minutes.
- Rinse it off with the help of water.
- Apply this remedy once or twice in a week to get rid of smelly hair.
Warning: Tomato juice can lighten the color of your hair, so apply this solution on your hair at your own risk.
5.) Tea Tree Oil to Get Rid of Smelly Hair:
Tea tree oil can fight from microbial infection. It contains antimicrobial properties that helps in getting rid of smelly and stinky hair caused due to the scalp infection. It also helps in reducing the impact of dandruff and scalp acne. To apply this remedy, follow these steps:
- Just dilute a little amount of tea tree oil in water.
- Mix it well and, apply this solution on your scalp.
- Leave this solution on your scalp for 20-30 minutes.
- After this rinse hair with water and shampoo.
- You can even wash your hair effectively by adding little amount of tea tree oil in your shampoo.
- Apply this remedy once in a week to get rid of smelly hair.
6.) Indica to Get Rid of Smelly Hair:
Indica is a great remedy for treating the scalp infections and the smelly hair effectively. It has antiseptic properties in it. Therefore, it is one the best remedy for smelly hair.
- Add indica oil to your shampoo while washing your hair.
- The other alternate way is to apply a few drops of this indica oil on your scalp and massage it effectively.
- Leave it on overnight.
- Next morning, just wash your hair with the help of shampoo.
- If you don’t get indica oil, then you may even boil a few leaves of indica in water. Use this solution once it cools down. After this, just strain the solution. Use this solution to rinse your hair once in a week to get rid of smelly hair.
7.) Aloe Vera to Get Rid of Smelly Hair:
Aloe Vera provides a soothing effect on your hair. It even prevents various scalp infections. Hence, it is one of the best natural remedies to get rid of smelly hair. It can treat dandruff and hair loss effectively. To prepare this remedy, follow these steps:
- After shampooing your hair, just apply fresh Aloe Vera gel on it.
- Leave this solution on your hair for 10 to 15 minutes.
- After this, just rinse it off with water.
- You can even try another alternate way, by adding one tablespoon of lemon juice and one and a half teaspoons of Aloe Vera gel in your shampoo for washing your hair with it.
8.) Orange Peels to Get Rid of Smelly Hair:
Orange juice and peels are one of the best remedies used for deodorizing your hair. It also helps in controlling excessive oil and dandruff from hair. Hence, it is an effective remedy to get rid of smelly hair. To apply this remedy, follow these steps:
- Just fill a mason jar with orange peels in it. Now, pour some organic apple cider vinegar in it. Store this solution in a cupboard for two weeks.
- Then, strain this solution and store it in a refrigerator.
- Also, pour two tablespoons of this solution in a spray bottle filled with water.
- Spray this solution on your hair after washing.
- Rinse it off after a few minutes with water.
- You can even prepare orange peel powder by drying the peels of orange. You can dry it easily, just put it in the sunlight for 2 weeks and then grind it.
- After this, add this powder in water.
- Boil it for some time.
- Allow it to cool.
- After this, just rinse your hair with the solution of orange peels and water.
- Let this solution sit on your hair for about 10 minutes before washing it off with water.
9.) Vodka to Get Rid of Smelly Hair:
Who says drinking vodka is bad for health? Everything in a limit is good for you and your health. Even the cheapest vodka serves as an effective home remedies to get rid of smelly hair. It even helps in removing the product buildup and eliminating the foul odors from your hair. Vodka promotes the growth of your hair and keeps it soft and shiny. To apply this remedy, follow these steps:
- Add one tablespoon of vodka to 12 ounces of a spray bottle filled with water.
- After shampooing your hair effectively, just spray this solution all over your hair and scalp.
- Apply this remedy once a week to get rid of smelly hair.
10.) Honey and Cinnamon to Get Rid of Smelly Hair:
- Just boil one cup of water and add one and a half teaspoon of cinnamon powder in it. Steep it for half an hours.
- Now, mix one teaspoon of honey in the solution.
- Mix it well and prepare a mixture. Now, apply this mixture on your hair and scalp effectively.
- Leave this solution on your hair for few hours.
- Rinse it off with a mild shampoo and water.
- Repeat this remedy once or twice in a week to get rid of smelly hair.
Keep Smelling Out of Your Hair to Get Rid of Smelly Hair
1.) Wash Your Hair Regularly
It is one of the best ways to get rid of smelly hair. Many people think that it’s an obvious solution but it’s a key particularly if you have an oily hair. Oily hair, which are tend to pick up environmental smells. You need to wash your hair every other day or a minimum of twice a week.
2.) Stop Smoking
If you are having habit of smoking then you must be get irritated with smelly hair and it’s very hard to mask it. If you can’t avoid smoking and you want to smoke then don’t smoke inside the car. Better to smoke outside not in the enclosed areas like cars. If you live or work with people who smoke then do your best to stay away from them when they smoke or when they encourage you to smoke.
3.) Covered Your Hair
You need to cover your hair in the smelly environment. It’s not about smoking, it’s also about when you are working in the kitchen or you are in smoked filled party room then you need to cover your hair. Even when you are in the kitchen you need to wear hairnet or kerchief or hat if the dress code permits. When you are at the party then go for hat or bandana.
4.) Wash your Headgear and Pillowcases
Anything that come into the contact of your hair (hats, helmets, scrunchies, headband and pillow cases) has ability to pick up the smell of your hair when it’s not clean then transfer it back to you when you wear them after washing your hair. You need to clean these items as possible to maintain the good smell in your hair.
5.) Clean your Hair Brush or Comb
When you use some product on your hair, that get build up on your hair, and on your brush then you could be forcing smells into your hair when you brush it. Try to clean them out once a week.
If you find so much hair in your brush that can you can put it out with your hands. If you can’t clean it with your hands then try to slide with a pen or pencil under the hair in the hair brush and pull upward. You can also go with the better option that is scissors to get the stubborn hair out of your comb but make sure while doing this you don’t harm the bristles. Insert the scissors parallel to the row of bristles. And if you want extra clean brush, you need to fill up the sink with warm water and add about a tablespoon of shampoo. You need to wash your de-haired brush in the sink and rinse it well.
Zoophilic fungi grow on animals and can also transfer themselves to humans. As these fungi breed in warm and damp condition so even if you wash your hair, you may not be able to remove them. Sometimes when you even don’t share the comb with your pet but when you come close to pet then you may chances to come in a contact with zoophilic fungi that can easily get transfer to you from your pet. If you feel like that you have get fungus from from an animal then you need to see a doctor. You may also need antifungal and anti-fungal shampoo.
7.) Try a Dry Shampoo
Dry shampoo is one of the shampoos that are designed to absorb oil and also help you to soak up with the smells as well. You just need to spray it all over your hair before you came in a contact with smell. After when you encounter with the smell then brush hair properly so that it will release in the air properly.
Products to Get Rid of Smelly Hair
1.) Spray Perfumes On Your Brush
There are so many hair available in the market and there are also so many perfumes available in the market which are designed to spray in the brush. You can even use those perfumes regularly and occasionally as well, but as it is designed for your hair so it can leave your hair oily or dry so you need to use it infrequently.
Make sure you don’t spray perfumes directly on your hair. It can also ruin your hairstyles, weigh down or leave shiny looking spot. These perfumes can also make your hair extremely dry when you spray directly onto your hair.
2.) Try Some Essential Oils
Many are antimicrobial and also help you to avoid the scalp infections. There are varieties of good option available which surely help you to get rid of smelly hair. You can use tea tree oil, lavender oil, vanilla oil, and peppermint oil. You just need to add 2-3 drops of oil in a cup of water and give massage properly to your hair. Leave the mixture on the scalp for 20 minutes then rinse off with shampoo.
You can choose another option which is you can add essential oil in your shampoo. Use 2 drops per ounces of shampoo.
3.) Go for Scented Hair Serum, Hairsprays and Dry Shampoo
If you already use good scented hair product, then add a delicious smelling into your daily routine. As you smell of these products doesn’t last it long all the day so consider keeping small refreshers bottles with you in a purse or bag. There are also some brands that make some refreshing hair spray. You can even use salt water spray which also don’t weigh down your strands.
4.) Use Deep Conditioner About Once Every Two Weeks
There are deep conditioners which are designed to keep your hair soft and also prevent breakage, but they can also add delightful smells in your hair. There are some brands out there and they have mentioned that you can use every couple of week but it is also necessary that you have check the direction before using it. So if you want to get rid of smelly hair then you need to follow these things for your hair.