After writing, how to get rid of a cough?, we are now writing the home remedies to get rid of cold. Cold is a common viral infection in the nose and throat. A cold can cause sore throat, runny nose, stuffy nose, watery eyes, cough, sneezing, etc. It can even make one suffer from everything mentioned above. There are more than 200 types of viruses which causes cold. Small children get cold very easily and suffer more frequently as compared to healthy grown up people. Although, many people suffering from cold recover in a week or two. Unluckily, no cure or vaccination is available to prevent cold. But, there are some remedies (discussed below) which can help you to get rid of cold faster. Before discussing remedies let us know a little bit about the symptoms and causes of cold.
Causes of Cold
There can be various causes responsible for cold. Getting in contact with a person who is infected with the virus is generally the cause. Getting in contact with a surface having germs is another cause. For example, touching Spoon, door handles, etc. and then touching your mouth, face or nose. Touching, pampering a pet or a street animal is one another cause of cold. If a sick person near you coughs or sneezes into the air may also cause cold.
Symptoms of Cold
The symptoms mainly appear after you have got infected by germs for 2-3 days. Symptoms include:
- Runny nose
- Stuffy nose
- Mild headache
- Body aches
- Mild fever
- Watery eyes
- Sore throat
- Itchy throat
Remedies to Get Rid of Cold
- Remedies to Get Rid of Cold
- 1.) Oil Swishing to Get Rid of Cold Fast
- 2.) Blowing Nose to Get Rid of Cold Fast
- 3.) Warm Fluids to Get Rid of Cold
- 4.) Humidifier to Get Rid of Cold
- 5.) Garlic to Get Rid of Cold Naturally and Fast
- 6.) Honey to Get Rid of Cold Naturally and Fast
- 7.) Lemon to Treat Cold Quickly
- 8.) Steam Bath and Shower to Treat Cold Fast
- 9.) Peppermint as a Remedy for Cold Treatment
- 10.) Medical Treatment to Get Rid of Cold
1.) Oil Swishing to Get Rid of Cold Fast
Oil swishing or oil pulling is an old Ayurvedic therapy. In this remedy oil is used to get rid of bacteria and germs from the mouth. Generally, most of the germs and bacteria get stuck with the fat present in the oil. Spitting the oil out then will help eliminate bacteria from the mouth. You can use coconut oil for this remedy. It has antibiotic properties due to the presence of lauric acid.
- Fill your mouth with coconut oil (don’t fill completely).
- Rinse your mouth with this oil like you do with water.
- Swish around gums and teeth for a few minutes or as long as you can.
- Afterwards, spit it out and rinse your mouth with some lukewarm water.
- Instead of coconut, you can swish with sunflower or sesame oil too.
- Repeat this remedy to get rid of cold fast.
2.) Blowing Nose to Get Rid of Cold Fast
It is necessary to blow your nose when you have cold. As blowing nose will help in keeping your sinuses clean and clear. Do not blow your nose too much as it can affect your ear also. Always blow gently and never overdo it. It is advised to hold one nostril and blow gently from the other. Always Use a clean and fresh tissue. Avoid using a handkerchief to blow your nose as it will also get bacteria and spread infection more. Also, don’t forget to wash your hands every time you blow or even touch your mouth or nose.
3.) Warm Fluids to Get Rid of Cold
Taking warm fluid helps in keeping your sinuses clear. It allow mucus to flow easily. It will make you feel better and relieve you quicker from stuffy or runny nose. It is also helpful in stop sneezing attack, fatigue and sore throat.
- Drinking herbal tea like green tea, ginger tea, mint tea can help prevent cold.
- You can add lemon or honey also. This will help in relieving from sore throat.
- Herbal tea like mint tea helps in relieving from nasal congestion.
- You can go for soups as well, but try to look for low salt soups.
- Chicken soup helps in soothing sore throat, clearing the sinuses to relieve from congestion. It is one of the most effective and common remedies to get rid of cold.
4.) Humidifier to Get Rid of Cold
If the air in your home or room you live in, is dry, it can worsen your cold and can also slow down the healing process. You can use a humidifier to keep the air in your room moist. It will keep your nasal passage lubricated and also help in keeping your sinuses clear. Run it during your sleep time will help to ease your breathing. Make sure you keep your humidifier clean as some micro-organisms can grow easily in moist atmosphere.
Alternatively, instead of humidifier you can use boil water in a pot. Simply keep in your room to moisten the air. Use distilled water for boiling as any impurities in the water can cause growth of germs and bacteria to mess up your condition more.
5.) Garlic to Get Rid of Cold Naturally and Fast
Garlic is known to be an effective immune booster and also have some anti-bacterial properties. It can be very effective for some. Its effectiveness depends on body to body and severity of the condition. Here is the method to use garlic for treating cold naturally.
- You can take garlic in raw form or can add some to your food.
- Take small pieces of garlic in every 2-3 hours.
- You can even take ginger tea to get rid of cold.
- For this, take some garlic and pound it in a vessel.
- Add this pounded garlic in a cup of water and boil it for a few minutes.
- Let it cool down a bit and drink it.
6.) Honey to Get Rid of Cold Naturally and Fast
Like Garlic, honey is also very helpful in strengthening your immune system. Its is one of the best home remedies to treat cold. Honey has excellent anti-bacterial qualities to help you get rid of the cold faster. Honey has soothing properties to help you relieve from sore throat. You can take processed honey, but it is better if you go for raw honey, which has more benefits as compared to processed one. You can get raw honey easily from your local farmer’s market. You can add Honey directly or can add to your tea to get relief from sore throat and coughs.
7.) Lemon to Treat Cold Quickly
Lemon’s citric properties makes it an excellent remedy to get rid of cold. It helps promote your immune system and also helps speed up the healing process. Lemon is known to have rich amount of Vitamin C which is a natural antioxidants. It helps in enhancing the immune system. Plus, it has antiviral and antibacterial qualities.
- You can prepare lemon tea by squeezing a lemon juice in a cup of hot boiling water.
- Let it cool down a bit and drink it.
- You can add a tsp of raw honey as well
- Honey will help in soothing your throat quickly.
8.) Steam Bath and Shower to Treat Cold Fast
Steam act as a natural moisturizer for your nasal passage. It helps relieve your nasal passage from irritation and itchiness. It is also useful in keeping your sinuses clean. Take a nice hot shower every day during cold to benefit most from steam. You can even inhale steam to get more benefit from it. Here is the method to do it
- Just boil some water in a pot and place it on the table.
- Bring your head over it at a fair distance cover your head with a towel.
- Now, gently inhale the steam for 10-15 minutes.
- You can add some mint oil as well to get relief from congestion. It will also help in keeping your sinuses clean.
9.) Peppermint as a Remedy for Cold Treatment
Peppermint is very useful to get rid of cold. It contains menthol which makes it an excellent for treating sore throat. It is a great congestion reliever. Menthol helps mucus to move easily. You can find peppermint in fresh or dried herbs, herbal teas, candies, etc. You can even prepare peppermint tea to prevent cold.
- Take one tea bag of peppermint tea or boil some 4-5 fresh peppermint leaves in water.
- Boil for a few minutes before drinking it.
- Adding honey will help in treating sore throat faster.
- Adding peppermint to steam bath helps to get relief from nasal congestion.
10.) Medical Treatment to Get Rid of Cold
Although above remedies are sufficient to get rid of cold. But, if still your condition does not improve at all, you must seek doctor’s advice before your condition become worse. If you feel any of the following symptoms, consult a doctor immediately.
- Infection in ear
- Cough with phlegm
- A breathing problem
- High fever
- Blood from nose or mouth.