After writing, how to get rid of a cough?, how to stop coughing without medicine?, and how to clear a stuffy nose?, we are now writing the remedies to get rid of a cold overnight without medicine. Cold is a very common problem, which everyone has to deal once at a time. It is contagious and is caused by many viruses. A sore throat, sneezing, coughing and a stuffy nose is the common symptoms of a cold. Cold should be treated on time. Since it is not a severe problem, therefore, many times we do not feel like consulting the doctor. A cold is a type of infection, which is caused by different types of viruses. There are many over the counter medicines available for cold. However, these medicines are not that effective to treat cold fast. These medicines control the symptoms of cold for a short period of time. So, we had jotted the best home remedies to get rid of a cold overnight without medicine.
What Causes Cold?
Rhinovirus- This type of virus lives in nasal passages causing cold. The cold virus can spread through the air when someone sneezes or talks and having a cough. Cold is contagious, so it may spread through hand to hand contact and sharing objects with someone who has a cold.
Best Remedies to Get Rid of a Cold Overnight Without Medicine:
- Best Remedies to Get Rid of a Cold Overnight Without Medicine:
- 1.) Inhale Steam to Get Rid of Cold Without Medicine
- 2.) Drink Plenty of Fluids
- 3.) Cinnamon Will Help
- 4.) Drink Warm Milk With Turmeric
- 5.) Drink The Mullein Tea
- 6.) Pepper Will Help
- 7.) Use The Garlic Power
- 8.) Have Some Honey
- 9.) Make a Spicy Tea
- 10.) Ginger Will Help
- 11.) Make Your Own Syrup
- 12.) Essential Oils to Treat Cold
- 13.) Have Some Hot Soup
- 14.) Have Herbal Tea
- 15.) Fish Oil Will Help
- 16.) Use The Elderberry
- 17.) Best Juices to Treat Cold
- 18.) Sip On Green Tea
- 19.) Yogurt to Treat Common Cold
- 20.) Turmeric to Cure Common Cold
1.) Inhale Steam to Get Rid of Cold Without Medicine
Inhaling steam is one of the most effective method to get rid of a cold overnight without medicine. It helps to loosen the mucus, which can then easily come out. Take a bowl of water and boil it. Place it on the table and bend your head over the bowl. Cover your head with a towel and breath the steam deeply. You can add some essential oil like peppermint oil or encapsulate oil for enhanced benefits. Do it for a minute, but don’t try to bend your head too close to the surface of the water. You can also add a drop of camphor, thymol or pine oil to the water for effective results.
2.) Drink Plenty of Fluids
Fluids will keep you hydrated and reduce the effects of several symptoms like a sore throat and headache. Intake of soups and hot tea are a good way to get relief from sinus congestion and reduce inflammation in the throat and nose. Drink enough fluids to get rid of cold without using medications.
3.) Cinnamon Will Help
Cinnamon is another best and effective home remedies to get rid of a cold overnight with medicine. It helps to treat the common cold and reduces the pain of a dry sore throat. Boil a glass of water and add 1 tbsp of powdered cinnamon and 2 cloves in it. Put it on simmer for 15 to 20 minutes. Strain the solution and drink it while it is warm. For effective results, you can add a little honey to it. Drink this tea 1 -3 times a day.
4.) Drink Warm Milk With Turmeric
Drinking milk with turmeric and ginger powder helps to treat a cold and symptoms of a cold like headaches and body aches. Moreover, milk does not build up mucus. Boil a glass of milk and add one-half tsp of turmeric powder and one-half tbsp of ginger powder to it. Let the milk cool to room temperature so that you can drink it easily. Drink it 2 times a day before bedtime.
5.) Drink The Mullein Tea
You can treat the cold by drinking plenty of fluids especially a hot cup of mullein tea. Mullein tea contains expectorant properties, due to which it can relieve chest congestion that often accompanies a cold. To prepare a mullein tea, boil a cup of water and add dried mullein herb to it. Leave it for 5-10 minutes. Add some honey to it and drink it 2 or 3 times a day. You can also drink green tea to treat a cold.
6.) Pepper Will Help
Pepper is one of the best natural treatments to get rid of a cold without medicine. It contains a compound called capsaicin that helps to remove the mucus and gives relief from congestion. Add a dash of pepper in the food while preparing it. You can also prepare a solution by adding a tsp of black pepper in a glass of warm water. Then gargle with this solution.
7.) Use The Garlic Power
Garlic contains antiviral and antibacterial properties, which can be very beneficial in getting rid of cold symptoms. It also helps to remove toxins from the body.
- Crush one garlic clove and mix it with 2 tsp of lemon juice, 1 tsp of honey and half a tsp of cayenne pepper. Consume it daily until the symptoms is gone.
- Boil a cup of water and add 4 to 5 chopped garlic cloves and 1 tsp of honey to it. Drink it 2 to 3 times a day. You can also eat garlic clove instead of making garlic solution.
8.) Have Some Honey
Honey is a great remedy for a sore throat and cold also. It is rich in enzymes and nutrients, which help to kill viruses and bacteria that causes cold. Prepare a mixture of 1 tsp of lemon juice and 2 tsp of honey. Consume it after every 2 hours to get relief from the cold and sore throat. You can also consume a spoonful of raw honey. Read article on health benefits of honey.
9.) Make a Spicy Tea
Spice tea is an ayurvedic remedy for common cold. Grind a quarter cup of coriander seeds, a quarter tsp of fenugreek seeds and one a half tbsp of cumin and fennel seeds. Take a cup of water and boil it. Now add one and a half tsp of rock candy and one and a half tbsp of this spice powder to it. Allow it to simmer for 3 to 4 minutes. Add 2 tbsp of milk in it. Again boil this solution and drink it slowly while it is warm. Drink this spice tea daily until the cold is gone.
10.) Ginger Will Help
Ginger can also help in getting rid of common cold and its symptoms. This is because it has anti-inflammatory and antiviral properties. Eat raw ginger or you can drink ginger tea many times a day. You can also add a lemon juice and little honey to it. Alternatively, you can prepare a paste of ginger, salt and cloves and consume one-half tsp of it 2 times a day. Read article on health benefits of ginger.
11.) Make Your Own Syrup
This wonderful syrup will not only help you to get rid of a cold overnight without medicine but will also make you satisfied. It is a perfect remedy for an aching throat. This syrup includes licorice root, ginger, cinnamon, and marshmallow root. Cinnamon and ginger works to treat congestion while Marshmallow and licorice root are good for treating sore throats. The mucilage in these roots coats the mucus membrane. Follow the steps given below to make this tasty syrup.
- Take a saucepan and add 4 cups of cold water. Mix one tablespoon each of licorice root, cinnamon, marshmallow root and ginger. Keep the flame low and simmer it until it is reduced to half.
- Strain it and put the solution back into the pan. Now, add one cup of honey in this solution. Let it bubble on low flame for at-least 10 minutes. Allow it to cool down and then store it in a bottle.
- Now, consume 2 tablespoons of this syrup 3 times a day. It will last for 3 to 4 weeks if you keep it in the refrigerator. You can take this syrup to get relief from cold, congestion and sore throat.
12.) Essential Oils to Treat Cold
This is one of the easiest home remedies to get rid of cold without medicine. It is also good for a relaxing body massage. Every oil has its own magical properties. For example, oregano oil kills the bacteria that cause cold while eucalyptus oil will help you to get rid of nasal congestion. Peppermint oil is also beneficial because of its expectorant properties. The fragrance of all these oil will soothe your nerves and make you feel relaxed. Follow the steps given below to get relief.
- Take one tablespoon of coconut oil. Mix 4 to 5 drops of any essential oil. Now, apply it on the forehead, neck and chest.
- Alternatively, fill your bathtub with warm water. Now, add a few drops of all essential oils in it. Soak yourself in this water to soothe your nerves and to get quick relief.
13.) Have Some Hot Soup
A bowl of hot soup is instantly going to give you relief from the symptoms of cold. Chicken soup is one of the best home remedies that have been used from ages to get rid of cold without medicine. Don’t worry, if you don’t eat chicken, you can even go for a tasty and healthy vegetable soup. Chicken soup limits the generation of white blood cells that is responsible for aggravating the symptoms of cold. The fumes of the hot soup will melt the mucus and it will flow out from your nose. The nutrients in the soup will strengthen your immune system.
14.) Have Herbal Tea
This herbal spice tea is one of the most effective home remedies to get rid of cold without medicine. The herbs used in this tea contain antimicrobial properties that fight the bacteria that cause infection. These herbs are natural decongestants and will give you instant relief from the symptoms of cold. Follow the steps given below to make your own herbal tea.
- In a pan add ¼ cup each of coriander and fenugreek seeds. Add ½ teaspoon each of fennel seeds and cumin seeds. Now, roast all these herbs together.
- Boil one cup of water and add half teaspoon of roasted herbs in it. Heat this solution on a low flame for about 5 to 10 minutes. Once the solution comes to a boil, strain it.
- Mix one teaspoon of honey and stir it well. Sip it slowly while it’s warm. Drink this tea 2 times a day to see effective results.
15.) Fish Oil Will Help
Fish oil supplements are very effective and beneficial, when you are suffering from cold. The omega 3 fatty acids in fish oil have anti-inflammatory properties which will help you to get relief from the symptoms of cold. Fish oil supplements minimize the swelling in the nasal linings and opens up the respiratory passages. Fish oil eases the symptoms of cold and improves the flow of air. All you need to do is take fish oil supplements every day until you see improvement.
16.) Use The Elderberry
This is one of the best home remedies to get rid a cold overnight without medicine. It has been used since ages to treat cold and flu. The bioflavonoids in elderberry strengthen the immunity. It also contains anti-inflammatory properties that reduce the pain and swelling in the throat that is caused by cold. All you need to do is consume two teaspoons of elderberry syrup daily until the symptoms subside.
Note: Pregnant women and small children should not be given this syrup without consulting a doctor.
17.) Best Juices to Treat Cold
This is one of the easiest ways to treat cold. Cranberry juice and orange juice are one of the best options to treat cold. These juices contain antioxidants, vitamins and nutrients that strengthen the immune system and prevent the infection from entering the body. It helps the body to fight against infection in a better and faster way. You can even go for lemon juice because it is loaded with vitamin C, which is very essential in strengthening the immune system. You can consume lemon juice by adding it to salads and herbal teas. Drink one glass of cranberry juice or orange juice daily.
18.) Sip On Green Tea
This is one of the best home remedies to loosen sinus secretions. It is loaded with antioxidants, which not only fights the infection but also speeds up the healing process. It is a great remedy to get rid of a runny nose, fatigue and sore throat. Follow the steps given below to get quick relief from the symptoms of cold. Read article on health benefits of green tea.
- Boil a cup of water. Dip one green tea bag in it. Leave it there for about 5 minutes.
- Mix one teaspoon of lemon juice or honey. Sip this tea slowly to get relief. Drink at-least 3 cups of green tea in one day.
19.) Yogurt to Treat Common Cold
This is a perfect remedy to get rid of cold without medicine in any season. The probiotics present in yogurt minimizes the inflammation in the body and reduces the symptoms of cold. It is a tasty as well as a healthy remedy. All you need to do is eat 2 cups of plain yogurt in one day.
20.) Turmeric to Cure Common Cold
This kitchen ingredient is perfect for treating any kind of infection. The anti-microbial properties of turmeric will reduce the inflammation and speed up the healing process. All you need to do is add one teaspoon of turmeric in one glass of warm water. Mix it well and use it for gargling. Repeat this remedy in every 4 hours for satisfying results.
Other Useful Tips:
- Avoid smoking when you have a cold as smoke can worsen your cold symptoms. Take plenty of rest to treat a cold. Drink plenty of fluids like water to get rid of a cold overnight without medicine.
- Do some exercise to stop a cold. Eat a healthy diet to recover from cold quickly. After cleaning your nose, wash your hands or you can use sanitizer.
- Eat oranges because oranges contain vitamin C that helps your immune system to fight against cold.
- Eat lots of fruits and vegetables to get relief from cold. Take hot water bath that will help you to treat cold and its symptoms.