This article is about tonsillitis and remedies to treat tonsillitis naturally. At the end of the throat, there are fleshy pieces of lymphatic tissues known as the tonsils. They are known as filters of mouth. They trap germs which anyways enter in the airways and lead to infections. Tonsils are the part of the immune system, they produce antibodies to fight with the bacteria and viruses. However, the bacteria known as streptococcus infect these tonsils and causes tonsillitis. This condition is characterized by an inflammation and swelling of the tonsils. The problem is common, especially in children. It is contagious and might reoccur frequently or occasionally. The best treatment of the problem is not to treat it, however, there are many household remedies which relieve the problem. Read more, to know about the ways to treat tonsillitis naturally.
Types of Tonsillitis:
- Acute Tonsillitis – These are viral in nature and last for the short time.
- Chronic Tonsillitis – These are caused by the actinomyces bacterium. Chronic Tonsillitis lasts for a longer period.
Symptoms of Tonsillitis:
- Tenderness and pain in the throat.
- A yellow or white coating on the tonsils.
- Ulcers or blisters in the throat.
- A headache accompanied by fever and chills.
- Appetite loss
- Difficulty while breathing and swallowing through the mouth.
- Bad breath
- Swollen glands
- Pain in abdomen
Causes of Tonsillitis:
- Streptococcus Bacteria
- Herpes simplex virus
- Epstein-Barr virus
- Parainfluenza viruses
Remedies to Treat Tonsilitis Naturally:
- Remedies to Treat Tonsilitis Naturally:
- 1.) Salty Water to Treat Tonsillitis Naturally
- 2.) Cinnamon to Treat Tonsillitis Naturally
- 3.) Lemon to Treat Tonsillitis Naturally
- 4.) Slippery Elm to Treat Tonsillitis Naturally
- 5.) Turmeric to Treat Tonsillitis Naturally
- 6.) Basil to Treat Tonsillitis Naturally
- 7.) Fenugreek to Treat Tonsillitis Naturally
- 8.) Figs to Treat Tonsilitis Naturally
- 9.) Mint to Treat Tonsillitis Naturally
- 10.) Carom Seeds to Treat Tonsillitis Naturally
- 11.) Check Your Eating Habits
- 12.) Take Sufficient Rest to Get Rid of Tonsillitis
1.) Salty Water to Treat Tonsillitis Naturally
The best way to soothe the tonsils is to gargle with warm and salty water. Warm water will relieve the inflammation and swelling. Whereas the salt will kill the virus and bacteria.
How to Use Salty Water to Cure Tonsillitis?
- In a cup of warm water, mix 1 teaspoon of salt.
- Use this solution to gargle. Do not drink it, spit it and repeat this 2-3 times.
- Do this 2-3 times a day until you feel better.
2.) Cinnamon to Treat Tonsillitis Naturally
Cinnamon has antimicrobial properties which do not allow bacteria and other micro-organisms grow on the tonsils. Also, it treats the inflammation, pain and swelling in the tonsils. Because of these properties, cinnamon is a reliable remedy for tonsillitis.
How to Use Cinnamon to get Rid of Tonsillitis?
- In a glass of hot water mix 1 teaspoon of cinnamon powder.
- You can also add 2 teaspoons of honey in this solution.
- Sip the warm solution slowly-slowly.
- Drink this tea 2-3 ties a day until you get relief.
3.) Lemon to Treat Tonsillitis Naturally
Lemon is packed with the anti-inflammatory, antiviral and antibacterial properties which fight back with the infection and soothe’s the infected tonsils. This citrus fruit is also a rich source of the Vitamin C which comes handy for improving the body’s resistance to infection.
How to Use Lemon as Remedy for Tonsillitis?
- Add lemon juice, a pinch of salt and 1 teaspoon of honey in the glass of lukewarm water. Mix all these ingredients thoroughly.
- Drink this warm solution sip by sip.
- Another way of treating tonsillitis with lemon is to sprinkle a pinch of pepper and salt on a slice of lemon. Suck the slice to cure tonsillitis.
- Follow this remedy 2-3 times a day until the sore tonsils are completely treated.
4.) Slippery Elm to Treat Tonsillitis Naturally
The herb contains a gel-like substance known as mucilage. The substance soothes the inflammation, soreness, and swelling of the tonsils and mucous membrane of the throat.
How to Use Slippery Elm to Get Relief from Tonsillitis at Home?
- Boil 2 cups of water and add 1 teaspoon of the inner bark of the herb into the water. Steep it for a few minutes. Strain the mixture and drink it warm sip by sip 2-3 times a day.
- Or, mix 3 teaspoons of the grounded slippery elm, 2 teaspoons of honey, 1 teaspoon of cayenne pepper powder with a few drops of water to add the consistency to the mixture. Consume 1 teaspoon of this mixture regularly until you get complete relief.
5.) Turmeric to Treat Tonsillitis Naturally
The anti-inflammatory and antiseptic properties of the turmeric comes handy for treating the sore tonsils. It fights back with the infection and helps you to get rid of its symptoms.
How to Use Turmeric to Heal Tonsilitis at home?
- In a glass of hot water, mix 1 tablespoon of turmeric and pinch of salt.
- Use this solution to gargle. Don’t swallow this solution, spit it and repeat it.
- Do this 2-3 times a day and especially before hitting the sack.
- Also, drinking a glass of warm milk with a pinch of turmeric in it, will be equally beneficial. Drink this before going to the bed.
6.) Basil to Treat Tonsillitis Naturally
Another home remedy which can treat the infected tonsils is basil leaves. The leaves are packed with the anti-inflammatory and antiviral properties which heal the infection and soothes the soreness.
How to Use Basil Leaves to Cure Tonsilitis?
- Boil 2 cups of water and add a handful of basil leaves in it.
- Simmer it, boil it for a few minutes.
- Strain the tea. You can add lemon juice and honey into the tea to increase the effectiveness.
- Drink this tea 2-3 times a day until the tonsillitis is completely cured.
7.) Fenugreek to Treat Tonsillitis Naturally
The antibacterial properties present in the fenugreek make it an ideal remedy for infected tonsils. It kills the bacteria and inhibits the growth of bacteria which releases the infection and contaminates the tonsils.
How to Use Fenugreek to Get Rid of Tonsillitis?
- In 3 cups of boiling water, add 2 tablespoons of fenugreek seeds.
- Boil the solution till its quantity is reduced to half.
- Strain the solution and leave it to cool at room temperature.
- Use this solution to gargle.
- Do this 2-3 times until you get rid of tonsillitis.
8.) Figs to Treat Tonsilitis Naturally
Figs contain a high content of mucilage which helps to get rid of the infection. It reduces the pain, soreness, and inflammation.
How to Use Figs to Prevent Tonsilitis?
- Boil a few figs in water and then mash them. Consume it with a tablespoon of honey.
- consume this 2-3 times a day until you get rid of the symptoms of tonsillitis.
9.) Mint to Treat Tonsillitis Naturally
Mint is enriched with antimicrobial properties and has a cooling effect. It kills the bacteria that causes infection in the tonsils and soothes a sore throat.
How to Use Mint to Cure Tonsillitis?
- In a glass of boiling water, add handful leaves of mint.
- Boil it until the content is reduced to half of it.
- Strain the water and honey in the drink and gradually sip it while it is still warm.
- Gargling with the same solution (without honey) will be also equally beneficial.
10.) Carom Seeds to Treat Tonsillitis Naturally
The carom seeds are packed with the antioxidants and other nutrients which strengthen the immunity system and fight back with the symptoms of tonsillitis.
How to Use Carom Seeds to Get Rid of Tonsillitis?
- Heat a few seeds of the carom in a pan, until they turn brown.
- Add a pinch of turmeric powder in the brown seeds and stir it for a few more minutes.
- Add this mixture into a cup of warm milk. Mix it thoroughly and drink it, while it is still warm.
11.) Check Your Eating Habits
Eating soft foods and drinking liquids will be beneficial during tonsillitis. It will sooth he pain and inflammation. Moreover, you won’t find a problem is swallowing the foods.
Foods to Consume:
- In a glass of warm water add one tablespoon of honey, lemon juice, cinnamon, and ACV. Mix it well and drink whenever you experience pain.
- Alternatively consume warm liquids like soups, porridge, and oats (thin consistency)
- To soothe the throat discomfort, you can also drink cold ice pops
12.) Take Sufficient Rest to Get Rid of Tonsillitis
The heading justifies everything. Do not exert yourself, take a sufficient rest to treat the infection. Sometimes only rest is the best home remedy. So next time when you experience tonsillitis all you have to do is sleep, sleep and sleep.
Precautions During Tonsillitis:
- Maintain a good level of hygiene.
- Since the infection is contagious therefore avoid contact with an infected person.
- Don’t touch the infected tonsils.