This article is about how to get rid of vaginal odor. Vaginal odor is a common problem that many women have to face. Vaginal odor can be caused by a number of reasons, such as:
- Bacterial growth
- Poor Hygiene
- Hormonal changes
- Yeast infections
- Sexually transmitted diseases.
If the problem is caused due to infection, there may be following symptoms which you can notice down there. These include:
A fishy odor in the vaginal area is mainly caused by bacterial vaginosis. No matter what is the cause, vaginal odor can be quite embarrassing. There are many home remedies which can help get rid of vaginal odor. Some of the remedies are listed below.
Remedies to Get Rid of Vaginal Odor Naturally and Fast
- Remedies to Get Rid of Vaginal Odor Naturally and Fast
- 1.) Tea Tree Oil to Get Rid of Vaginal Odor Fast and Naturally
- 2.) Yogurt to Treat Vaginal Odor
- 3.) Apple Cider Vinegar For Vaginal Odor Treatment
- 4.) Fenugreek to Prevent Vaginal Odor Naturally
- 5.) Indian Lilac/Indica to Treat Vaginal Odor Fast
- 6.) White Vinegar for Vaginal Odor
- 7.) Baking Soda for Vaginal Odor Treatment
- 8.) Garlic to Avoid Vaginal Odor
- 9.) Indian Gooseberry to Get Rid of Vaginal Odor Naturally
- 10.) Citrus Fruits to get Rid of Vaginal Odor
- 11.) Guava Leaves to Get Rid of Vaginal Odor
- 12.) Alum to Treat Vaginal Odor
- 13.) Cranberry to Reduce Vaginal Odor
- 14.) Turmeric to Get Rid of Vaginal Odor
- 15.) Hydrogen Peroxide to Treat Vaginal Odor
- 16.) Chlorophyll to Get Rid of Vaginal Odor
- 17.) Boric Acid to Eliminate Vaginal Odor
- 18.) Seeds and Nuts to Get Rid of Vaginal Odor
- 19.) Betel Leaves to Eliminate Vaginal Odor
- 20.) Pineapple to Get Rid of Vaginal Odor
1.) Tea Tree Oil to Get Rid of Vaginal Odor Fast and Naturally
Tea tree oil has strong anti-fungal and antiseptic properties. Hence, it can be used effectively to get rid of vaginal odor. Tea tree oil will help get rid of bacteria which are contributing to the problem. Remember not to apply undiluted tea tree oil as it may cause irritation and burning sensation in the applied area.
Directions to Use Tea Tree Oil to Prevent Feminine Odor:
- Mix 3 drops of tea tree oil in a cup of water.
- Use this solution to wash the vaginal area daily or a few times in a week.
- Another way is to dip a tampon in olive oil and then drop a little tea tree oil on it.
- Insert the tampon inside and leave it for an hour.
- Repeat this several times in a week.
- You can also use this oil to treat toenail fungus, acne and for hair as well.
2.) Yogurt to Treat Vaginal Odor
Yogurt is another effective ingredient which can be used to prevent vaginal odor easily. It is known to be high in Lactobacillus bacteria. This bacteria helps fight Candida infection, which is one of the most common causes of vaginal odor. It also helps restore and maintain the normal vaginal pH level. Once the pH level is maintained, the vaginal odor will be gone.
Directions to Use Yogurt to Get Rid of Fishy Odor:
- Eat 2 cups of unsweetened, plain yogurt ever day.
- You can also opt for probiotic supplements.
- Another way is to soak a tampon in plain yogurt and insert it inside.
- Leave it in for several hours.
- Remove the tampon and wash the area thoroughly.
3.) Apple Cider Vinegar For Vaginal Odor Treatment
Apple cider vinegar or ACV is known for its antibacterial and antiseptic qualities. ACV can be used to fight vaginal odor effectively and quickly. Taking a bath with apple cider vinegar is among the simplest ways to get rid of the bad odor. ACV also helps remove toxins and bacteria which are causing vaginal odor. Plus, It also helps restore the acidic quality of the vaginal flora.
Directions to Use ACV to Prevent Feminine Odor:
- Add 2 cups of apple cider vinegar in warm bath water and mix it well.
- Soak yourself in it for 20-30 minutes.
- Repeat this remedy several times a week to get fast results.
- Plus, drink a glass of water mixed with 1 or 2 tbsp of apple cider vinegar regularly.
- You can also use ACV for acne and weight loss.
4.) Fenugreek to Prevent Vaginal Odor Naturally
Fenugreek is extremely beneficial for women. If consumed on a regular basis, it helps maintain the hormones and encourages regular menstrual cycles. Fenugreek also helps in hormonal balance and regular menstrual cycle. Some researchers even say that properties of fenugreek are quite similar to the female sex hormones i.e. estrogen. Here is the method to use it.
Directions to Use Fenugreek to Prevent Fishy Odor:
- Take 1 or 2 tsp of fenugreek seeds and soak in one cup of water before going to bed.
- Next morning, strain and drink the water on an empty stomach.
- Alternatively, you can Make herbal tea with fenugreek seeds.
- To prepare this tea, boil 1 tsp of fenugreek seeds in 1 cup of water.
- Strain and drink it twice daily.
- Remember, fenugreek can cause skin irritation and diarrhea. Discontinue this remedy if you experience these effects.
5.) Indian Lilac/Indica to Treat Vaginal Odor Fast
Indian lilac can also be quite helpful to get rid of vaginal infections. It can help get rid of vaginal odors quickly and easily. It is because of its anti-fungal, antibacterial and antiviral properties. Indian lilac is also useful in preventing from fungi candida which is responsible for causing yeast infection.
Directions to Use Indian Lilac for Vaginal Odor Treatment:
- Take a handful of neem leaves and boil in a pan of water.
- Strain and let it cool.
- Use this solution to wash the vaginal area regularly for a few days or a week.
6.) White Vinegar for Vaginal Odor
White vinegar has the capability to neutralize odors by breaking down the odor proteins. A white vinegar wash can help eliminate vaginal odor faster. It is also helpful in restoring pH levels in the vagina.
Directions to Use White Vinegar for Fishy Odor Treatment:
- Take 1/2 cup each of white vinegar and salt and mix well in lukewarm bath water.
- Soak yourself in it for several minutes.
- Repeat this remedy several times a week.
7.) Baking Soda for Vaginal Odor Treatment
Baking soda is another natural ingredient that can be useful to balance the pH level in the vagina. When the pH level is maintained, the problem of vaginal odor will disappear. Here is the method to do it.
Directions to Use Baking Soda for Fishy Odor Treatment:
- Take ½ cup of baking soda and mix in your bath water.
- Soak your lower body in it for 15-20 minutes.
- Pat yourself dry thoroughly with a clean towel.
- This remedy will help fight any yeast infection and also help get rid of odor quickly and easily.
- You can also use baking soda for yellow teeth and splinter treatment.
8.) Garlic to Avoid Vaginal Odor
Garlic is a known natural antibiotic. It can be an excellent remedy for dealing with vaginal infections and vaginal odor. The anti-fungal properties of garlic helps fight a yeast infection. It also helps the body get rid of bad bacteria.
Directions to Use Garlic to Prevent Smelly Vagina:
- Eat raw or cooked garlic on a daily basis.
- You can also eat 1 or 2 raw garlic cloves with a glass of warm water.
- Eat it every morning on an empty stomach.
- Plus, you can even add garlic cloves or its paste to your salads and dishes.
- Another way is to keep a piece of garlic in the vagina for a couple of hours.
- Repeat this several times daily for a week or until you get rid of the problem.
9.) Indian Gooseberry to Get Rid of Vaginal Odor Naturally
Indian gooseberry can also be used to get rid of vaginal odor effectively. This acts as a natural blood purifier and organic cleanser. Thus, it can help control the infection, which is responsible for vaginal odor. In addition, this quality ingredient can also be used to prevent problematic leucorrhoea (thick vaginal discharge).
Directions to Use Indian Gooseberry for Vaginal Odor Prevention:
- Just eat Indian gooseberry regularly.
- You can eat it either raw or in other forms such as pickles, powder, juice etc.
10.) Citrus Fruits to get Rid of Vaginal Odor
Citrus foods can also help fight infections more effectively and prevent vaginal odor quickly.Citrus foods are high in Vitamin C. Vitamin C is a proven immune booster which can help remove harmful toxins out of the body. When your immune system is strong, it will allow your body to defend your body from the harmful bacteria which causes vaginal odor. These fruits also help in treating urinary tract infections.
Eat fruits like oranges, grapes, lemons, sweet limes, grapefruits, cranberries, pineapples and other citrus fruit or vegetables.
11.) Guava Leaves to Get Rid of Vaginal Odor
This is one of the best home remedies to get rid of vaginal odor. The anti-inflammatory, anti-bacterial, antioxidants and tannins make it a perfect remedy for vaginal odor. On one side where guava helps to deal with menustral cramps, guava leaves is excellent choice for problems related to vaginal discharge. Follow the steps given below to reduce vaginal odor.
- In one liter of water, add 8 to 10 guava leaves.
- Boil this water until it is reduced to half.
- Let it cool down and then remove the leaves from the water.
- Clean your vaginal area with this water.
- Repeat this process two times a day to get pleasant smell.
12.) Alum to Treat Vaginal Odor
This is one of the excellent home remedies to treat vaginal odor. Alum is popular for cleaning water tanks. But do you know it also reduces vaginal odor. Alum when mixed with water kills the bacteria that are responsible for causing foul smell. If the vaginal odor is caused by vaginal discharge, then this is a perfect remedy. Alum works by preventing the bacterial growth. Follow the steps given below to get amazing results.
- In one glass of water, mix half teaspoon of alum. Drink this water twice a day to reduce vaginal odor.
- In one liter of water, add one fourth tablespoon of alum powder. Mix it well and wash the vaginal area with this water.
- Buy alum sticks from the market and soak it in water. Use these sticks to rub the mouth of vaginal area. Repeat this treatment two times a day to get rid of vaginal odor.
13.) Cranberry to Reduce Vaginal Odor
This is one of the excellent remedies to reduce vaginal odor. It is very effective in treating urinary infection. The anti-inflammatory and anti-microbial properties of cranberry reduce the foul odor of the vagina. Cranberry prevents the bacterial growth on the vaginal wall. Follow the steps given below to get desirable results.
- In one liter of water, soak one cup of fresh cranberries.
- Leave this water overnight.
- Drink this water all day to flush out the toxins from the body. It prevents further bacterial infections.
- Alternatively, drink a glass of cranberry juice per day. Don’t remove the pulp from the cranberries. Drink this juice daily to eliminate vaginal odor.
14.) Turmeric to Get Rid of Vaginal Odor
This is one of the most effective home remedies to get rid of vaginal odor. The antioxidants, anti-inflammatory and anti-bacterial properties of turmeric make it a perfect solution for infections and wounds. Turmeric kills the vaginal bacteria and strengthens the immunity. Follow the steps given below to eliminate vaginal odor.
- Take a turmeric root and wash it properly. Peel the root and boil it in atleast one liter of water. Boil it until water reduces to half. Wash your vaginal area with this water.
- Mix turmeric powder in a glass of warm milk. Stir it and drink this milk every night before sleeping to get relief.
- Peel the turmeric root and chew it daily to eliminate vaginal odor.
15.) Hydrogen Peroxide to Treat Vaginal Odor
This is one of the excellent choices for vaginal odor. Hydrogen peroxide contains disinfecting properties that kills the bacteria on the vaginal wall. It increases the number of good bacteria. Follow the steps given below to reduce vaginal odor.
- Mix equal amounts of water and hydrogen peroxide.
- Soak a tampon in this solution and place it inside your vagina.
- Leave it for 20 to 30 minutes.
- Repeat this remedy in every few hours to eliminate foul odor.
16.) Chlorophyll to Get Rid of Vaginal Odor
This is one of the wonderful ways to reduce vaginal smell. This natural deodorant minimizes the unpleasant odor. Chlorophyll tablets are easily available in the nearby medical store. Follow the steps given below to eliminate unpleasant odor.
- In 8oz of water, mix one tablespoon of chlorophyll. You can either take it in the form of tablets or liquids.
- Alternatively, eat one chlorophyll tablet in the morning and evening to get rid of vaginal odor.
- Consume the tablet or take it in liquid form to get rid of fishy smell from the vagina.
17.) Boric Acid to Eliminate Vaginal Odor
This is one of the excellent remedies to eliminate unpleasant vaginal odor. There are good bacteria such as lactobacillus which maintains the acidity of vagina. But there are certain substances such as menustral blood which makes it alkaline. Due to alkaline nature the pH level of the vagina gets affected. This leads to growth of bacteria in the vagina. Boric acid helps to restore the pH level of the vagina. Follow the steps given below for faster results.
- Take gelatin capsules and fill it with boric acid.
- Store these capsules in an air tight container.
- Insert one capsule inside your vagina and leave it overnight.
- Repeat this continuously for three consecutive nights to get rid of bacterial vaginosis.
18.) Seeds and Nuts to Get Rid of Vaginal Odor
This is one of the amazing home remedies to get rid of vaginal odor. The richness of vitamin E in nuts and seeds prevents itching and dryness in vagina. Almonds and pumpkin seeds contain zinc which prevents bacterial growth and vaginal dryness. Follow the steps given below to treat vaginal odor.
- Soak 4 to 5 almonds of in water for a few hours.
- Peel of the skin of almonds and grind them in a blender.
- Grind two hazelnuts also in it.
- Pour one cup of milk and add one tablespoon of flaxseed powder.
- Drink this on a regular basis to reduce vaginal odor.
19.) Betel Leaves to Eliminate Vaginal Odor
This is one of the most effective home remedies to eliminate vaginal odor. The anti-bacterial and antiseptic properties of betel leaves make it an excellent remedy to get rid of vaginal odor. Follow the steps given below for faster results.
- Boil a few fresh betel leaves for about 10 minutes.
- Cool it until the water becomes lukewarm.
- Soak a tampon in this liquid and insert it in your vagina.
- Let it be for 15 minutes and then remove it.
- Repeat this method on a daily basis continuously for one week to eliminate unpleasant odor.
20.) Pineapple to Get Rid of Vaginal Odor
This is one of the beneficial home remedies to get rid of vaginal odor. It is an excellent solution for vaginal health and odor. Pineapple has a strong smell that improves the odor of the secretions of the vagina. All you need to do is drink fresh pineapple juice on a regular basis. Drink this pineapple juice two times a day to eliminate vaginal and unpleasant odor.
Additional Tips for Avoiding Vaginal Odor
- Drink a lot of water throughout the day to get rid of toxins and harmful bacteria present in the body.
- Check for possible symptoms of infection, which could be causing this problem.
- Avoid eating refined carbohydrates, sugary drinks and caffeine.
- Always maintain proper personal hygiene.
- Avoid using perfumed products down there as they may hamper the vaginal pH.
- Always wear 100 percent cotton panties which allow air circulation and help keep the vulva ventilated, thus preventing excessive perspiration.
- If this problem occurs mostly after an intercourse, then simply rinse the vagina with soap and water after sex.