In this article we will discuss different home remedies for swollen gums treatment. Swollen gums are also known as gingival swelling. Swollen gums are condition which makes your mouth sensitive, irritated and sometimes even a lot painful which is beyond tolerance. This pain and irritation can be caused due to some allergy or infection in gums. Gums play an important role and are quite responsible for dental health. You may wonder and ask yourself ‘why am I suffering from swollen gums?. You can get the answer by finding the right cause behind it. When you know the causes, it becomes easier to treat swollen gums. There are medical treatments available to get rid of this condition. But, such treatments can be expensive which everyone can’t afford. Therefore, below we have mentioned some home remedies for swollen gums treatment. These are safe, effective and easy to do yourself. Before discussing remedies, let us know the causes and symptoms behind this condition.
Causes of Swollen Gums
- Gum injury
- Dietary habits
- Changes in lifestyle
- Lack of oral hygiene
Symptoms of Swollen Gums
- Pain in the gums
- Swelling of gums
- Bleeding of gums
- Increased gap between the teeth.
- Receding gums
Home Remedies for Swollen Gums Treatment:
1.) Castor Oil as a Remedy for Swollen Gums Treatment
Castor oil is known to have excellent anti-viral, anti-bacterial, and anti-fungal properties. Castor oil also has anti-inflammatory and analgesic properties. All these qualities of castor oil make it one of the best remedies to treat swollen gums. Castor oil also helps boost your lymphatic system. Lymphatic drainage is made through blood in order to flush out all the wastes from your body. When waste such as this is not able to drain out completely, toxins starts to build up inside and result in increased inflammation and various other diseases. Applying castor oil helps the skin and tissues to absorb it for promoting the lymphocyte count. Lymphocytes are the cells which fights disease. When you have more lymphocytes, your body boosts up the process of eliminating toxins from the tissues. Thus, it reduces inflammation and promotes healing.
Directions to Use Castor Oil for Gum Swelling Treatment:
- Mix camphor with the castor oil to make a fine paste.
- Apply the paste on your swollen gums.
- Massage gums firmly for a few minutes.
- If you don’t have camphor, you can also simply rub the castor oil.
- Regular application will help get rid of swelling fast.
2.) Baking Soda as a Remedy for Swollen Gums Around One Tooth
Baking soda is known to be alkaline in nature which makes the inside of your mouth not suitable for the existence of bacteria and various other microbes. Baking soda helps neutralize the acidic wastes formed by the bacteria. It also helps whiten teeth when you brush with baking soda paste. Here is the method to use it.
Directions to Use Baking Soda for Gum Swelling Treatment:
- Mix sufficient amount of water and baking soda to form a paste.
- Gently massage with this paste on your gum line.
- You can brush your teeth with this paste for whiter teeth.
3.) Salt Water Mouthwash as a Home Remedy for Treating Swollen Gums
Salt water mouth is proven remedy for swollen gums. It is one of the oldest and effective home remedies. Salt water is known to be natural disinfectant which helps get rid of all the microbes present in your mouth. These microbes are mainly responsible for the inflammation of your gums. Rinsing your mouth with salt water also helps getting rid of swollen gums fast and naturally.
Directions to Use Salt Water for Swollen Gums and Toothache:
- Add 1 tsp of salt in a glass of warm water and mix it well.
- Take sufficient amount of this warm saline water in your mouth and swish it all around for a few minutes.
- Spit it out after a few minutes.
- Repeat the same with rest of salt water in the glass.
- Rinse 2 to 3 times a day to get rid of swollen gums.
4.) Hot and Cold Compress Remedy for Swollen Gums Around Tooth
Compress can be quite helpful for painful swollen gums. You can use either a hot compress or a cold compress. It depends upon the condition of your gums. If you are experiencing any pain along with swollen gums, you should use cold compresses. But, if you are suffering from pain, you should use warm compress. If there is pain and swelling both, go for the cold and warm compress alternatively with a gap of some hours. Cold compress helps tighten the blood vessels and hence lessen swelling. Hot compress helps get rid of pain effectively.
A.) For a Warm Compress
- Dip a cloth into the warm water.
- Wring out the cloth off the excessive water.
- Hold this wrung cloth against your face where you are feeling pain for a few minutes. Placing the warm compress directly over the gums may cause injury and worsen the condition.
- Repeat the process several times a day
- Do this every day until you get relief from pain.
B.) For Cold Compress
- Take a cloth and wrap some ice cubes in it.
- Hold it against your face at the location of swollen gums for a few minutes. Do not apply it directly on the gums.
- The affected area will become slightly numb.
- Repeat this process several times a day.
- Do this until condition improves.
5.) Mustard Oil for Inflamed Gums Treatment
Mustard oil is a trifecta of anti-fungal, anti-bacterial and anti-inflammatory qualities. A compound found in mustard oil, known as Glucosinolate, is responsible for its anti-microbial properties. Mustard oil is a powerful home remedy which helps encourage the circulation of blood to the affected part.
Directions to Use Mustard Oil for Inflamed Gum:
- Take some mustard oil in your palm.
- Add a pinch of salt and mix well.
- Apply it with your finger and massage gently. Be careful during massage do not put extra pressure.
- Massage your gums for a few minutes.
- Spit out the oil out and rinse your mouth with lukewarm water.
- Repeat it twice a day.
6.) Lemon Water as a Remedy for Swollen Gums Treatment
Lemon has anti-inflammatory, anti-bacterial and alkalizing qualities. It is also high in Potassium, Calcium, Vitamin A & Vitamin C and pectin fiber. All these features of lemon make it one of the important remedies for treating swollen gums. Firstly, its anti-bacterial properties helps eliminate microbes. Secondly, nutrients present in lemon regulate minerals and vitamins which might be responsible swollen gums. Thirdly, being an alkaline, it makes the inside of your mouth impossible for bacteria to thrive.
Directions to Use Lemon Water for Painful Gums:
- Add lemon juice in a glass of warm water.
- Mix them well and dilute it if you feel it’s too strong for your gums to bear.
- Fill your mouth with warm lemon water and swish it all around for a few minutes.
- Spit the water out after a few minutes.
- Repeat the process with rest of the lemon water.
- Rinse your mouth with lukewarm water to get rid of lemon taste.
- Do this 1 or 2 times a day.
7.) Carom Seeds as a Home Remedy to Treat Swollen and Painful Gums
Carom seeds or bishop’s weed seeds, is quite an effective remedy for treating swollen and painful gums. Thymol is a compound present in the oil which has anti-bacterial, anti-fungal, anesthetic and anti inflammatory properties. You can use the seeds or the essential oil to treat gum problems.
Directions to Use Carom Seeds for Painful Gums:
- Roast the seeds dry until you smell a fine aroma.
- After that grind these dry roasted seeds to make a powder.
- Add a few drops of mustard oil in this powder to make a paste.
- Pour some water in a cup.
- Mix a few drops of carom seed essential oil to this.
- Swish your mouth with this water for a few minutes.
8.) Clove Oil as a Remedy for Swollen Gums Treatment
Clove is one of the oldest remedy for toothache which is equally helpful for swollen gums. Eugenol, a volatile oil present in the clove has an excellent anti-inflammatory and antioxidant qualities. It helps get rid of swollen gums fast and naturally. It even helps make your teeth and gums strong.
Directions to Use Clove Oil for Toothache and Strong Teeth:
- Mix clove oil and olive oil together.
- Soak a cotton ball in the mixture.
- Dab with soaked cotton ball on your swollen gums.
- Hold it for a few minutes, gently before removing.
9.) Alum as a Natural Remedy for Swollen Gums Treatment
Alum is another popular and easily available remedy for swollen gums treatment. It works as a good anti-septic and discourages the germ formation in the mouth. It also has excellent astringent properties which help skin tissue to contract. Thus, it is an important remedy to treat swollen gums. It also helps reduce the inflammation and alleviate pain.
Directions to Use Alum for Painful Gums Treatment:
- Take a sufficient amount of alum grind it to make fine powder.
- Add a glass of warm water in one tsp of fine alum powder and mix well.
- Rinse your mouth with this mixed solution 2 to 3 times a day to prevent gum swelling.
10.) Aloe Vera as a Remedy for Swollen Gums Treatment
Aloe Vera is an effective remedy for curing periodontal condition. Aloe Vera has anti-bacterial, anti inflammatory, antioxidant, anti-fungal and anti-viral properties that help combat different oral problems. It not only helps reduce swelling of the gums but also prevent gum bleeding. Here are the methods.
Directions to Use Aloe Vera for Gum Swelling Treatment:
- Use Aloe Vera gel as toothpaste.
- Apply Aloe Vera gel on your gums and teeth.
- Rub and massage this 3 to 4 times a day.
- Use Aloe Vera as mouth rinse.
- Add Aloe Vera gel in water to make a solution.
- Fill your mouth with the solution and swish your mouth for a few minutes.
- Repeat this 2-3 times a day.
- Do this every day until condition improves.