In this article we will discuss different castor oil uses. There are many uses and benefits of castor oil. It is a traditional cure for all sorts of skin and hair problems. It is also very useful for a variety of health problems, for example, joint pain, upset stomach and many other. Castor plants are majorly found in Africa and India. The oil is derived from crushing the seeds and has been used effectively by healers for treating inflammation and bacterial infections. At present, its antioxidant properties has been widely studied and hence it is more commonly used for its therapeutic and medicinal benefits. As a beauty care agent for the hair and skin, castor oil is among the most widely used ingredients in soaps, cosmetics, massage oils etc. Due to its high content of unsaturated fats, it is even useful treating major health ailments like Parkinson’s disease, multiple sclerosis, arthritis, cerebral palsy, and rheumatism. With so many uses of castor oil, it is essential to keep it in your home. Below we have suggested some of the best castor oil uses and benefits.
Benefits and Uses of Castor Oil
- Benefits and Uses of Castor Oil
- 1.) Benefits of Castor Oil – Treat Skin Problems
- 2.) Benefits of Castor Oil – Helps Get Rid of Acne
- 3.) Benefits of Castor Oil – Helps Fade Scars
- 4.) Benefits of Castor Oil – Treat Arthritis and Joint Pain
- 5.) Benefits of Castor Oil – Helps Thicken Eyebrows
- 6.) Benefits of Castor Oil as a Moisturizer
- 7.) Benefits of Castor Oil – Helps Get Rid of Ringworm
- 8.) Benefits of Castor Oil – Helps Treat Fine Lines and Wrinkles
- 9.) Benefits of Castor Oil – Treat Stretch Marks
- 10.) Benefits of Castor Oil for Hair Darkening
1.) Benefits of Castor Oil – Treat Skin Problems
Castor oil is a boon for treating skin problems such as acne, sunburn, stretch marks and dry skin. It also helps get rid of infections such as boils, warts, athlete’s foot and itching. For treating problems such as sunburn, yeast infection, warts, acne or fungal infection, follow these simple instructions:
- Take a cotton wool ball and dip it in castor oil.
- Apply the soaked cotton wool ball directly on the affected area.
- Allow it to sit for an hour.
- After an hour, rinse it off clearly with water.
- Follow this process in the morning and night for positive results.
- If the concerned area is small, you can soak a band-aid in castor oil and place it on the affected area.
- Finally, cover it with a clean band-aid.
- But, if the affected area is large, you can dip a cloth in castor oil and keep it on the concerned area for 1 hour before rinsing it off.
2.) Benefits of Castor Oil – Helps Get Rid of Acne
Castor oil is known to be a rich source of Ricinoleic acid. This acid helps fight off the bacteria causing acne. This oil penetrates the skin layers effectively, which makes it an excellent remedy to get rid of acne faster. To use castor oil for skin follow these steps:
- Rinse your face with clean warm water, as rinsing will help loosen and open your pores.
- Now, just massage your face in a circular motion with the castor oil.
- Leave it on overnight.
- Next morning, wash it off your face with cold water.
3.) Benefits of Castor Oil – Helps Fade Scars
Castor oil is generally used for fading scars and is quite effective in doing so. However, it works slowly in this regard, so, it needs to be used on a regular basis to see its results. But, it will surely produce permanent solution and that too naturally. Once again, thanks to the fatty acids. They help penetrate deep within the scar tissue and stuffs it by promoting the growth of healthy tissues around it. It helps the scar or marks diminish gradually.
4.) Benefits of Castor Oil – Treat Arthritis and Joint Pain
Castor oil is also an excellent remedy for getting rid of arthritis and joint pain. Castor oil has fine anti-inflammatory properties which make it a perfect massage oil for getting rid of joint pain, sore muscles and nerve inflammation. Here is a guide for using castor oil for joint pain.
- Take a piece of a soft cotton fabric and fold it into several squares.
- Dip it in castor oil for a few minutes.
- Squeeze out the excess oil and keep it on the affected area.
- Cover it with a plastic wrap.
- Now, hold a hot water bottle or heating pad against this. The plastic will keep the bottle safe from getting oily.
- Let it sit on for 1 hour.
- Store the oil pad in a zip lock bag and keep in the fridge as it can be used again.
- Repeat this process 2 times a week for positive results.
- Plus, you should drink 2 spoonfuls of castor oil mixed with water to reduce relentless rheumatoid arthritis.
5.) Benefits of Castor Oil – Helps Thicken Eyebrows
Use of castor oil helps boost hair growth and thus helps in thickening your eyebrows and eyelashes as well. It effectively helps in rapid growth of hair. The fine chemical composition of the oil helps to prevent your eyebrow and eyelash hairs from breaking. Here are the steps to follow:
- Take an adequate amount of castor oil and rub it over your brows and lashes before going to bed.
- Follow this process every night to get positive results.
- Other than this, you can gently massage each eyebrow with castor oil for a few minutes.
- Let it sit for minimum half an hour.
- Wash it off with lukewarm water and a mild cleanser.
- This too needs to be done regularly to get desired results.
6.) Benefits of Castor Oil as a Moisturizer
Castor oil can also act as a regular moisturizer. The high concentrated fatty acids present in this oil penetrate the skin effortlessly. This will help get rid of dry patches and restore hydration of the skin.For this purpose, you just need a little amount of castor oil. Castor oil is an excellent ingredient due to its ability to quickly moisturize. So, if you are looking for an natural and inexpensive skin moisturizer, here is the procedure.
- Apply a few drops of castor oil on face.
- Massage it thoroughly on your skin every night.
- Just keep following the above steps to get smooth, supple and energized skin each morning.
7.) Benefits of Castor Oil – Helps Get Rid of Ringworm
Castor oil effectively helps in getting rid of ringworm. Ringworm is a stubborn skin problem which affects all age groups. Castor oil has an active compound known as undecylenic acid. This acid helps prevent ringworm successfully. Here is a step-by-step instruction to use it.
- Take 2 tsp of castor oil and dilute it in 4 tsp of coconut oil.
- Alternatively, you can use castor leaves by washing them in water and soaking them in coconut oil for several hours.
- Then heat them gently.
- Apply them over the concerned area. Cover the area with a cotton cloth.
- Keep it overnight for positive results.
- Continue this procedure until it is cured fully.
8.) Benefits of Castor Oil – Helps Treat Fine Lines and Wrinkles
Castor oil penetrates deep into the skin and helps stimulate the production of collagen and elastin. This action in turn helps hydrate and soften the skin. It also delays the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles, making the skin softer, smoother and younger. The fine lines around the eye can be treated effectively with its application. For best results, apply it daily, after cleaning your face, over fine lines and wrinkles. You may even apply castor oil for skin before going to bed daily.
9.) Benefits of Castor Oil – Treat Stretch Marks
Castor oil is ideal for treating stretch marks as well. You can get rid of stretch marks caused due to different reasons including pregnancy, loosing weight, exercising etc. Here are the directions to use:
- Take some castor oil and rub over the stretch marks on the affected area.
- It is very useful in treating stretch marks caused because of pregnancy or excessive weight gain.
- Apply it on a regular basis to get the desired results.
- Castor oil is also very helpful to induce labor.
10.) Benefits of Castor Oil for Hair Darkening
Castor oil works excellently in darkening hair. The humectant properties of castor oil, along with its nutrients, helps lock moisture in the hair. Thus helping your hair look darker.
- Take a small amount of castor oil.
- Add it to your leave-in hair conditioner or hair mousse.
- Every time you apply it, spread it evenly and nicely over your hair.
- Vitamin E present in castor oil is for getting rid of ragged cuticles and brittle nails.
- Massage a sufficient amount of oil for 2 to 3 months and see the result.