After writing, home remedies for earache, how to remove ear wax?, how to unplug ears?, we are now writing the home remedies for ear infection treatment naturally. Ear infections is a condition caused due to viruses or bacteria in the middle ear. Ear infection is more common in children than adults. An ear infection occurs generally in any of the three parts – outer, middle or inner ear. Infections in the inner part are the most serious ones. This article will have all home remedies for ear infection treatment naturally. It is very important to treat an ear infection timely to prevent complications like damaging or rupturing the ear drum.
If not treated, it can lead to chronic recurrence and can even lead to deafness. So, consulting a doctor is important. But for a quick relief you can try some homemade treatments. There are a lot of simple, easy and effective home remedies for ear infection that can help get rid of the pain and other symptoms fast and naturally. Some of the causes and responsible factors which lead to ear infections are:
- Upper respiratory infections and wax buildup.
- Environmental allergies and food allergies.
- Genetics, fetal alcohol syndrome, nutritional deficiencies, and any internal injuries.
Some of the common signs and symptoms of an ear infection are:
- Difficulty in sleeping, tugging at the ear, and headache.
- Poor response to sounds, Pain in the ear, Mild to severe fever.
- Vomiting, Diarrhea, and fluid draining from the ear.
Home Remedies for Ear Infection Treatment
- Home Remedies for Ear Infection Treatment
- 1.) Apple Cider Vinegar (ACV) for Ear Infection Treatment
- 2.) Tea Tree Oil to Treat Ear Infection Naturally
- 3.) Salt as a Remedy to Get Rid of Ear Infection
- 4.) Mango Leaf Juice for Ear Infection Treatment
- 5.) Onion to Prevent Ear Infection
- 6.) Garlic for Ear Infection Treatment
- 7.) Water Bottle for Treating Ear Infection
- 8.) Basil for Ear Infection Treatment
- 9.) Olive Oil to Get Rid of Ear Infection
- 10.) Honey as a Home Remedy for Ear Infection
- 11.) Hydrogen Peroxide as a Home Remedy for Ear Infection
- 12.) Tea as a Home Remedy for Ear Infection
- 13.) Rice as a Home Remedy for Ear Infection
- 14.) Breast Milk to Prevent Ear Infection
1.) Apple Cider Vinegar (ACV) for Ear Infection Treatment
Apple cider vinegar or ACV is one of the most excellent home remedies for ear infection treatment. ACV helps eliminate the fungus which may be responsible for the ear infection.
- Take 1 part of apple cider vinegar and mix it with an equal amount of alcohol or water. Dip a cotton ball in the solution. Keep the cotton ball in your ear like a plug and allow it to work for about 5 minutes.
- After 5 minutes, remove the cotton and lay down on the opposite side to drain out the liquid from the ear. Using a hair dryer, try to dry your ear as much as you can. Instead of apple cider vinegar you can also use white vinegar.
- If the cause of the ear infection is in the Eustachian tubes, gargling with apple cider vinegar can help.
2.) Tea Tree Oil to Treat Ear Infection Naturally
Tea tree oil is also one of the excellent home remedies for ear infection treatment. This oil is known to have mild antibacterial properties which can give an instant relief from the pain in the ear. To treat an ear infection with tea tree oil, follow the below mentioned steps.
- Take 3 drops of tea tree oil, 2 tbsp of olive oil, 1 tsp of colloidal silver and 1 tsp of ACV. Mix everything well. Warm the mixture a bit.
- Lay down on your side and keep your head on a towel. Fill your ear with the mixture with a dropper. Allow it to sit for 5 minutes.
- Later, lay on the other side in order to drain out of the mixture from your ear completely. Repeat this remedy 2-3 times daily for a couple of days.
3.) Salt as a Remedy to Get Rid of Ear Infection
Salt is among the best home remedies for ear infection. It is most probably the most readily and easily available ingredient. It is easy and simple to use this remedy. Here is the procedure to do it.
- Take 1 cup of salt and heat it in a pan for a few minutes. You can also heat the same in a microwave. Keep the hot salt on a cloth and seal the open end with a rubber band or simply tie a knot.
- When it is comfortably hot, lay down and place the cloth on the affected ear for about 5-10 minutes. Continue this remedy several times daily.
- The heat from the cloth will help get rid of fluid from the ear and reduce swelling and pain. Instead of salt, you can also use 1 cup of rice in the same manner.
4.) Mango Leaf Juice for Ear Infection Treatment
The mango leaf juice is a quick and effective treatment to get rid of and ear ache and ear infection. It helps get relief from pain and inflammation. It also helps speed up the process of healing.
- Take 2-3 soft mango leaves and Crush or grind them to extract the juice. Warm the juice slightly. With a dropper, put 3-4 drops of the juice into the affected ear.
- After several minutes, you will get relief from the pain. Repeat this remedy 2 to 3 times daily for complete relief from ear infection.
5.) Onion to Prevent Ear Infection
Onion is a quite a common ingredient used in cooking. It is also widely used in different health ailments. Apart from other medicinal uses, onion is also one of the best natural remedies for ear infection.
- Take 1 small onion and chop it fine. Add the chopped onion in a bowl and microwave it for 1-2 minutes. Let it cool before straining it out.
- Add 2-3 drops of this prepared juice in the infected ear. Allow it to sit for a few minutes. Late turn your head to drain out the liquid of your ear.
6.) Garlic for Ear Infection Treatment
Garlic is a popular remedy for various health ailments. It has both antimicrobial and pain relieving qualities. It is very effective in the treating ear infections. There are several ways to use garlic as a home remedy. Here are the method.
- Simply, prepare garlic oil by cooking 2 garlic cloves in 2 tbsp of sesame oil or mustard oil. Cook it until it turns blackish. Then, strain the solution. Allow it to get comfortably hot. Put 2 to 4 drops of this cooked oil in the infected ear using a dropper.
- Alternatively, you can boil 2 or 3 fresh garlic cloves in water for about 5 minutes. Crush them well and add some salt to it. Keep the mixture in a clean cloth and hold it against the affected ear for several minutes.
- Another way is to Consume 2 or 3 cloves of raw garlic every day. It will help boost the healing process.
7.) Water Bottle for Treating Ear Infection
Applying some heat to the infected ear as soon as possible can also be very useful. Applying heat will help get rid of the pain faster. It will also check micro-organism infestation.
- Place a warm water bottle or a heating pad against the affected ear for a few minutes.
- Alternatively, you can use a warm compress as well. Soak a clean washcloth in lukewarm water. Squeeze out the excess water and place the washcloth on the concerned ear.
- Avoid applying heat to the ear for long. Keep it for no more than 5 minutes.
8.) Basil for Ear Infection Treatment
Holy basil can also be very useful to treat minor earache and ear infections. It can be quite effective to give relief from ear pain as well as help reduce infection. It is among the best remedies for ear infection treatment.
- Take 4-5 fresh holy basil leaves and crush them gently to extract the juice. Rub this basil juice on and around the infected ear. Prevent juice from getting in the ear canal.
- Alternatively, mix equal amount of holy basil oil and carrier oil like coconut oil. Dip a cotton ball in the mixture and wipe just inside the ear gently. Also wipe around the outer edge and behind the ear. Repeat the process twice daily for faster result.
9.) Olive Oil to Get Rid of Ear Infection
One of the major causes responsible for an ear infection is wax in the ear getting some fungal or bacterial growth and causing a blockage in the Eustachian tubes. Such obstruction can be easily avoided with the help of olive oil.
- Heat some olive oil until it gets warm enough. Put several drops of this warm oil into the infected ear. Let it sit for a few minutes.
- The oil will make the wax to soften and get loose. Remove this infected wax with cotton swabs.
- Make sure to avoid putting the swab too far into the ear or else it might damage the eardrum.
- Instead of olive oil, you can use mustard oil as well.
10.) Honey as a Home Remedy for Ear Infection
The sweet little honey can do wonders with its antibacterial properties. This technique is somewhat tricky and should be carefully done for proper treatment. Honey can be wiped around the surrounding areas of the infected ear. At the same time make sure that none of it enters the inside of ear as it can cause severe problems.
11.) Hydrogen Peroxide as a Home Remedy for Ear Infection
It may or may not be available at your disposal but it is true that it makes for a great treatment. Hydrogen peroxide is a cleansing agent and can help get rid of excess of wax and bacteria in your ear.
- Mix the solution with water and stir till the solution completely dissolves. Take a cotton ball and get it wet with the solution.
- Now dab a few drops of the solution from the mixture in the infected ear. Clean out all the impurities that are released immediately. Wait for ear pain to subside.
12.) Tea as a Home Remedy for Ear Infection
Drinking herbal tea is a sign of a healthy lifestyle. In the world of caffeine and sodas this one fluid is highly beneficial. Drink tea on a regular basis to enhance your body’s overall immunity. The antioxidants will help subside the infection in your ear; working from the inside of your body. It may eventually help to reduce the sensation of pain. Green tea is the preferred one for treatment.
13.) Rice as a Home Remedy for Ear Infection
Rice can be a good deterrent for the bacteria residing in your ears.
- Boil rice and place it in a clean cloth. Close the open end of the cloth by tying it.
- Place the hot cloth over your ear for at-least 5-10 minutes. The cloth should not burn your ear.
- Continue the treatment for several times in the day.
14.) Breast Milk to Prevent Ear Infection
Breast milk is known to have an excellent natural antibodies which can help boost the healing process of any sort of ear infection. It can help reduce swelling and discomfort significantly. It can also help get rid of an ear infection within 1 or 2 days. This remedy is ideal for both children and adults.
- With the help of a dropper, put several drops of breast milk into the affected ear.
- Continue the process every few hours as required.
- Breast milk can also be quite useful for eye infection treatment, minor cuts and burns.