This article is about home remedies for strep throat. Strep throat is characterized by a bacterial infection that causes pain, inflammation, the problem in swallowing and tonsils. The infection is caused by the group A streptococcus bacteria. Though the infection is prevalent among adults and children.However, it is most common among children between 5-15 yrs ages. The infection is contagious. It can be spread from one person to the another through sneezing and coughing. Nevertheless, you can cure the infection at home also by following simple home remedies for strep throat. Read more, to know about symptoms, causes and home remedies for strep throat.
Symptoms of Strep Throat:
The symptoms vary from a person to person. Common symptoms are:
- Sore throat
- Loss of appetite
- Problem while swallowing food
- Nausea and vomiting
- A headache with fever
Home Remedies for Strep Throat Treatment:
- Home Remedies for Strep Throat Treatment:
- 1.) Fenugreek for Strep Throat Treatment
- 2.) Tomato Juice for Strep Throat Treatment
- 3.) Cayenne Pepper for Strep Throat Treatment
- 4.) Ginger for Strep Throat Treatment
- 5.) Apple Cider Vinegar for Strep Throat Treatment
- 6.) Lemon for Strep Throat Treatment
- 7.) Garlic for Strep Throat Treatment
- 8.) Cinnamon for Strep Throat Treatment
- 9.) Onion for Strep Throat Treatment
- 10.) Turmeric for Strep Throat Treatment
- 11.) Steam for Strep Throat Treatment
- 12.) Honey for Strep Throat Treatment
To keep a sore throat at the bay, gargle with salty water 3-4 times a day. And follow, the following home remedies for strep throat.
1.) Fenugreek for Strep Throat Treatment
Fenugreek has mucus-dissolving properties. It reduces the inflammation and relieves the pain in the throat. It also helps in healing tonsils. Gargle with fenugreek tea to get rid of strep throat and sore throat.
- In a cattle pour 6 cups of water and add 2 tablespoons of fenugreek seeds in the water.
- Boil the water for 15-20 minutes.
- After half an hour, remove the cattle and let it cool to room temperature
- Then strain the water and use it for gargling.
- To treat strep throat follow this remedy 3-4 times a day till you find an effective result.
2.) Tomato Juice for Strep Throat Treatment
Tomato contains lycopene, which is an excellent antioxidant and therapeutic remedy for strep throat. It cures a sore throat, nausea, and vomiting. Moreover, it is considered as home medicine to treat tonsils.
- In a half cup of lukewarm water add half cup of tomato juice and a few drops of hot pepper sauce.
- Mix all the ingredients properly and use this solution to gargle.
- Regular gargling will give you clean throat, free from infection.
3.) Cayenne Pepper for Strep Throat Treatment
The capsaicin present in the cayenne pepper reduces the inflammation and provides comfort to the aching throat. Moreover, it cures tonsils and chills caused due to strep throat.
- In a small bowl, take half spoon of cayenne pepper and add honey to it.
- Stir the ingredients to get a thick paste.
- Consume the mixture 3-4 times a day.
- However, if you are sensitive towards cayenne pepper then you can reduce it quantity.
- The regular intake of this solution will give you relief from a sore throat and tonsils.
4.) Ginger for Strep Throat Treatment
Ginger is a pungent herb and a very good expectorant. Expectorants promote the secretion and wipe out the mucus from the throat. The regular intake of ginger relieves a sore throat and allows the food to swallow without any problem.
- In a kettle, boil 2-3 cups of water.
- Meanwhile, peel the roots of ginger and cut it into small slices.
- Add the ginger slices into the boiling water and let the water boil for a few more minutes.
- Later, remove the kettle and strain the water. Add honey to it and drink it.
- Alternatively, you can drink ginger tea.
5.) Apple Cider Vinegar for Strep Throat Treatment
ACV contains anti-bacterial properties that come handy for treating numerous throat problems. It kills the infection and treats the tonsils.
- In a half glass of lukewarm water add 1 tablespoon of apple cider vinegar and salt.
- Use this solution for gargling. Gargling 3-4 times in a day with this solution will cure strep throat instantly.
- Alternatively, add 1 teaspoon of lemon juice, honey and 1 tablespoon of ACV to the cup of warm water.
- Sip the mixture 3-4 times day. It will give you immediate relief from throat pain and inflammation.
6.) Lemon for Strep Throat Treatment
Lemon juice removes the mucus and soothes the throat, providing relief from inflammation and pain. Moreover, it is a natural antiseptic, which wipes out the bacteria causing infection and relief a sore throat. It also increases the saliva which moisturizes the throat and keeps dryness at the bay.
- In a cup of warm water, add a teaspoon of honey and lemon juice.
- Mix the ingredients properly and drink it, sip by sip.
- Alternatively, you can add lemon juice in warm water to gargle
- For instant relief add ginger juice and honey in the lemon juice and drink it regularly.
7.) Garlic for Strep Throat Treatment
Garlic is a natural antibacterial, antiseptic and antibiotic. A chemical known as allicin is present in the garlic which kills the bacteria and viruses present in the throat.
- Cut a few fresh garlic cloves and chew it. While chewing it, allicin will be produced.
- Alternatively, mix a few drops of garlic oil in ¼ of warm water.
- Use this solution for gargling 3-4 times a day.
8.) Cinnamon for Strep Throat Treatment
Cinnamon is an ideal household remedy for strep throat. It has antioxidants which act as an herbal medicine for strep and sore throat. Cinnamon also comes handy for treating sinus.
- In a glass of warm water, add 1 tablespoon of black pepper and cinnamon powder and mix it well.
- Strain the water and use it to gargle 2-3 times a day.
- Alternatively, you can add 1 teaspoon of raw honey in a few drops of cinnamon oil.
- Consume this mixture regularly to get rid of strep throat.
9.) Onion for Strep Throat Treatment
Onion contains sulfur which treats the infection and kills the bacteria present in the throat. The easiest way to use onion is, chew the raw onion and swallow it’s slowly.
- Alternatively, grate the onions and add the grated part in the boiling water.
- Leave, the solution to cool to room temperature.
- Add 1 teaspoon of honey to this mixture and drink it twice a day
10.) Turmeric for Strep Throat Treatment
Turmeric is enriched with antiseptic and anti-inflammatory properties that come handy for treating the sore throat. All you have to do is:
- In a glass of warm water mix ¼ teaspoon of turmeric powder and sip it early in the morning before eating the meal.
- Alternatively, you can add 1 teaspoon of ground black pepper, turmeric powder to warm milk.
- Stir the milk and drink it before going to sleep.
11.) Steam for Strep Throat Treatment
Steam is one of the ideal home remedies for sore and strep throat. It treats the symptoms of strep throat. You can use a facial steamer for doing so. However, if you do not have a steamer you can make at yourself.
- Fill a bowl with warm water, add a few drops of eucalyptus oil to it.
- Bend your face towards the bowl. Take a towel and cover your head, face and the bowl in such a way that steam do not pass outside.
- Inhale the steam for 5-7 minutes.
12.) Honey for Strep Throat Treatment
- In a glass of lukewarm water add a spoonful of lemon juice and honey.
- Mix it thoroughly and drink this solution 2-3 times a day regularly until the problem is solved completely.