This article is about different home remedies for urinary tract infection treatment. Most of you would have felt some sort of inflammation, stabbing pain or burning sensation when you urinate. You may have experienced these symptoms from time to time. However, if you find these symptoms becoming more persistent and you start to experience it more frequently, it might be a sign that you are suffering from urinary tract infection. Urinary tract infection is a type of infection which is caused by bacteria breeding in the bladder or urethra causing bladder infection. The tube which takes urine out of your body is known as the urethra. Although anyone can suffer from urinary tract infection, but women are more prone to it as compared to men and children. In the USA more than 7 million Americans visit to medical centers and hospitals each year for the treatment of UTI. Though UTI is not a very serious threat, if its symptoms are noticed and treated timely. One can easily treat this infection by making a few changes in their lifestyle and following some simple home remedies for urinary tract infection that are listed below.
Before we discuss urinary tract infection treatments, let us know about the causes and symptoms behind this condition.
Causes of Urinary Tract Infection:
Most urinary tract infections are caused by bacteria present in the digestive system. These bacteria spread into the urethra via the anus. When you wipe your anus with toilet paper and then touch your genital parts, the bacteria can grow and pass through your urinary tract. This infection is caused mainly:
- Ureters or tube connecting the bladder to the kidneys.
- Kidneys or also known as pyelonephritis.
Symptoms of Urinary Tract Infection:
- Groin pain
- Burning sensation during urination
- Bleeding during urination
- Frequent urination
Remedies for Urinary Tract Infection Treatment:
- Remedies for Urinary Tract Infection Treatment:
- 1.) Drink Plenty of Water to Treat Urinary Tract Infection Naturally
- 2.) Baking Soda to Get Rid of Urinary Tract Infection
- 3.) Heat to Treat Urinary Tract Infection at Home
- 4.) Vitamin C as a Remedy for Urinary Tract Infection Treatment
- 5.) Frequent Urination to Prevent Infection in Bladder
- 6.) Parsley Water as a Remedy to Treat Urinary Tract Infection
- 7.) Cucumber as a Natural Remedy for Urinary Tract Infection Treatment
- 8.) Ginger as a Remedy for Urinary Tract Infection
- 9.) Garlic as a Remedy to Prevent Urinary Tract Infection
- 10.) Pineapple to Get Rid of Urinary Tract Infection Fast and Naturally
1.) Drink Plenty of Water to Treat Urinary Tract Infection Naturally
When you have a urinary tract infection first thing you should do is increase the intake of water. Even doctor will advise you to drink a lot of water in such condition. This is because drinking water acts as a natural cleanser. Water flushes away the germs and bacteria responsible for the infection. When you drink plenty of water, you will have frequent urination. This will help remove wastes and toxins out of your body.
- Drink at least 8 to 10 glass of water every day for healthy functioning of body organs.
- And, if you are having a urinary tract infection drink more water in order to reduce the infection.
- You can even drink juices and herbal tea to increase the water content in your body.
- Avoid coffee as it may cause dehydration.
- Drinking plenty of water is also useful for kidney stone treatment.
2.) Baking Soda to Get Rid of Urinary Tract Infection
Baking soda benefits are not hidden from anyone. It is known for treating arrays of body ailments whether they are internally or externally. Likewise baking soda is quite helpful in treating Urinary tract infection. Baking soda is alkaline in nature, meaning it is opposite of acidic nature. Therefore, being an alkaline substance, baking soda helps to reduce acidity in your urine. Thus, lessening the burning sensation and inflammation caused due to infection.
Directions to Use Baking Soda for Bladder Infection:
- Just add 1 tsp of baking soda in 1 cup of water.
- Stir it well to dissolve the baking soda completely before drinking.
- Drink this solution in the morning on an empty stomach.
- Do not continue it for more than a week if you are taking a low salty diet as baking soda contains a lot of sodium.
3.) Heat to Treat Urinary Tract Infection at Home
Urinary tract infection causes inflammation in your bladder. Inflammation is one of the symptoms of any infection. If inflammation doesn’t go away with prescribed medicine, you can give a try to heating application. Here is the method to do it.
Directions for Applying Heat to Treat Bladder Infection:
- Fill some hot water in a water bag.
- Place the hot water bag where the bladder is located.
- Center the heat on the bladder location. Do remember to wrap the water bag in a towel in order to avoid burning yourself. Alternatively, you can use of warm and moist compress.
4.) Vitamin C as a Remedy for Urinary Tract Infection Treatment
Vitamin C is another effective home remedy to treat infection in kidney. Taking lots of Vitamin C helps reduce infection of the urinary tract fast. As Vitamin C is acidic in nature, it works as a magic. When you take Vitamin C in high quantity, it makes your urine more acidic. This discourages the growth of bacteria in your urinary tract.
- Take foods rich in vitamin C such as lemon , sweet lime, oranges, etc.
- Other than that you can take Vitamin C supplements in form of tablet.
- You need to take Vitamin C at a regular intervals during a day as our body is not able to store excess of vitamin C.
- Always maintain the Vitamin C level in your body not only for treating urinary tract infection, but also for keeping other diseases at bay.
5.) Frequent Urination to Prevent Infection in Bladder
Although frequent urination is a symptom of urinary tract infection. But it is necessary to urinate as much as you can. This is because urination helps out removing wastes and toxins out of your body. That is why we have urgency of urinating frequently during infection as our body tries to fight bacteria by flushing them out.
- Along with drinking plenty of water, you must empty your bladder frequently in order to remove more bacteria from your body.
- Go to the bathroom even if it’s just a small amount.
- The more you do, the faster you will recover.
- Remember, do not force or put enough pressure to urinate.
6.) Parsley Water as a Remedy to Treat Urinary Tract Infection
Parsley is another potent remedy to treat infection in kidney. Drinking parsley water after dinner helps boost the healing process. Parsley is known to have diuretic properties. This helps increasing the amount of sodium in your kidney. As a result, it makes you urinate more frequently. This is because sodium takes water along with it at the time of excretion. More urination means more bacterial flushing out of your body. Thus, curing infection in your urinary tract fast.
Directions for Preparing Parsley Water to Prevent Kidney Infection:
- Boil some water in a pan.
- Add 1 cup of fresh parsley to it. Instead of fresh parsley you can use dried as well.
- Simmer it for 5-10 minutes at low heat.
- Strain the solution and drink it while its hot.
- For dried parsley, boil 2 tbsp of dried parsley in water.
- Steep it for 10 minutes.
- Strain it and drink.
7.) Cucumber as a Natural Remedy for Urinary Tract Infection Treatment
Cucumber need no introduction as it is a popular ingredient for treating various health issues. Kidney infection is one of them. This is because cucumber is a rich source of water. Including cucumber in your diet will encourage hydration and make you urinate frequently. Cucumber has cooling properties that helps to reduce inflammation in your bladder.
Directions to Use Cucumber for UTI Treatment:
- Add cucumber to your salad and eat 2-3 servings a day to maintain hydration level in your body.
- You can squeeze lemon juice over cucumber dressing for added benefits of Vitamin C.
8.) Ginger as a Remedy for Urinary Tract Infection
What else can be better than ginger to treat any inflammation in your body. Ginger has powerful medicinal qualities, which helps eliminate bacteria fast. Being a great antioxidant and antibacterial agent, ginger helps alleviate pain and prevents bacteria from breeding .
Directions to Use ginger for UTI Treatment:
- You can make ginger tea to get the benefits of ginger.
- Cut some small pieces of ginger and add them to 1 cup of boiling water.
- Boil for a few minutes.
- Strain and let it cool a bit before drinking.
- Drink 2 cups of ginger tea every day to get rid of UTI.
9.) Garlic as a Remedy to Prevent Urinary Tract Infection
Garlic is no less than any other ingredient, when it comes to treating body ailments. Garlic is known to contain a dynamic compound named allicin. Allicin has both anti-fungal and antibacterial properties. Both are quite effective and useful to treat urinary tract infection. Garlic is also useful in eliminating E. coli bacteria which cause infection in bladder.
Directions to Use Garlic for Urinary Tract Infection Treatment:
- Eat 2 to 3 cloves of garlic every day to get its benefits.
- Other than that, you can boil a few cloves of garlic in water for a few minutes.
- Allow the garlic water to cool down before drinking.
- You can also chew the boiled garlic.
10.) Pineapple to Get Rid of Urinary Tract Infection Fast and Naturally
Pineapple is also a powerful fruit to treat urinary tract infection. Pineapple contains a substance named bromelain. This active ingredient is quite helpful in removing bacteria causing infection.
Directions to Use Pineapple for Urinary Tract Infection Treatment:
- Squeeze out 1 glass of pineapple juice and drink it twice a day for optimum result.
- You can add lemon juice or sweet lime juice to it for added benefits.
- Alternatively, You can simply include pineapple to your fruit salad.